Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djR-0lyQtik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Documentaries: imagine a video essay that's only two hours long

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is it too late to post movies about destructive obsession? I think Downfall falls into that category

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Well thank you! But I have gotten things wrong here in this thread for the same reason.

Like just right now I thought Mulligan was the little girl in Atonement. Which, what a story. I'm not breaking any new ground but it's worth the reminder that it's not a story about some foggey rich people a century ago but a story about the consequences of one's behaviour at an age where you still think & act like a small child half the time and have zero life experience but most would find you old enough to know better and it'd be hard to forgive yourself (since you still recognize that younger you as basically the same person as you now unlike maybe how you'd treat someone just 3 or 4 years younger as a different proto-you) even if the end result wasn't as bad as it was. I expect we all have bad dreams about this kind of thing.
"The story can resume" part always kills me no matter how many times I see the movie. Atonement is top tier and kind of forgotten I feel.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Man, I loved novelizations when I was a kid. I even owned the novelization of Baby's Day Out. I've never seen the movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

The novelization to the video game Doom has a bunch of sequels set in Salt Lake City (author is Mormon).

Oh yeah, including the Doom monsters attacking Salt Lake City with the help of the tanks of the IRS

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sects and murder always puts butts in seats

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody see any good movies lately?

I saw a weird movie from 1993 last night called Flesh and Bone that I'm still trying to process.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Is Trainspotting2 any good? The first was a formative movie for me as a teen

Also a formative movie for me as a teen, I had the "choose life" speech poster on the back of my bedroom door (you put the naughty posters on the back of the door so that when parents come into your room they don't see it)

I went into the sequel with very low expectations but it's great! Well worth your time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Lobster Henry posted:

Thanks for the Leigh recs, everyone! I’m gonna get on Naked and Secrets & Lies asap. If Vera Drake is anything to go by, I’ll report back in tears.

I forgot to put my two scents in the bouquet but Topsy-Turvy is my favorite movie, watch that!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Danny mcbride is my hero. But I do need to see his other films like Arizona. Even if it’s bad. I just gotta see it

Arizona is proof that

Bright Bart posted:

It's apparently a fine film, but it made Danny McBride into a weird form of character actor and it only works half the time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What's the oldest age an actor was cast to play a regular high school student completely unironically?

Not counting biopics.

I think Angourie Rice is going to play high schoolers till she's 30

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Sam Neill is a treasure

I'll watch any movie with Sam Neill in it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Wonka is pretty good. They made him illiterate for some reason which is kinda weird. Also he makes a chocolate which cures low self-esteem which is the most unrealistic thing in a wildly fantastical movie
Still less weird than the second book

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

What’s your favorite January movie

Mine is cloverfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhkHqvWxzT4

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What I don't understand is why Hollywood wants to put Australians in movies so bad

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

You know those scenes in movies where the lights are off and the main character is wondering if there’s a monster or not and when the lights come back on he’s surrounded by monsters

That’s what it’s like to google how many Hollywood actors are Australian
It's horrible!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I watched A Little Chaos (that one about the gardener to Louis XIV) and it seemed like she'd aged straight from 18 to 50 since last time I'd seen her. Casting for "women of a certain age" is famously thin on the ground unless you're doing shows like Wheel of Time or, like, Bad Sisters which seem tailor-made to address exactly that issue.

I freaking love that movie what did you think of it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I don't know exactly why but I feel deeply that Bryan Cranston is an genuinely stupid man but I think he's an amazing actor and feel only love for him and want him to act in more things

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What are some films set in Paris, Texas?

There's definitely one but I can't remember the name

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How is Bringing out the Dead?

Amazing, top 10, worth your time even if you only have a week to live

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Again, pretty sure there isn't.

I was making a dumb joke about the movie of that name but yeah it's not actually set in Paris. I thought Bernie was, but I checked and it isn't. Closest though?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

The closest Paris, Texas the movie gets to Paris, Texas the city is a photograph.

The original script for Chinatown had zero scenes take place in LA's Chinatown because it's really just a metaphor, but Polanski insisted at least one scene in the movie Chinatown should actually take place in Chinatown so the finale was moved there.
Yeah it's a real Angela's got no ashes situation

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean starting the thread with a victim of severe abuse who never really does anything bad to Forest is not setting an amazing tone to begin with

Would you really be okay with a gender-swapped Forrest and Jenny romance?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why didn't Craig Sheffer ever break through? In the early 90's it looked like he was going to be a genuine movie star but apparently it wasn't in the cards.

Was there a specific reason? Drugs, the law, messy relationship, studio fuckery? If not I guess he just wasn't talented

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula is one of my all-time favorite movies so that'll always be the second Elwes role I think of right after Princess Bride.

Possibly the greatest movie to watch while high

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Found Japanese F Murray Abraham in Hulu’s Shogun

Japanese Amadeus would be a great movie

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Peggotty posted:

You should watch the Andy Warhol film Empire. That way, some flashy film does not distract you from your new TV.

All TVs I've owned have the Empire state building burned into them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Homesman is the finest Western movie no one has ever seen, it will crush your emotions into a coarse powder and it has an amazing ending

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I want a Long Earth movie series

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Which epistolary novels, other than Dracula, have ever been adapted for the silver screen? Turning an epistolary novel into a movie sounds like hell, honestly.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I thought of one: the TV show Chapelwaite, sort of. I said movie though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

therattle posted:

I just googled “epistolary novels” and the list that was generated has yielded a lot of movies.

https://www.google.com/search?q=epi...le-gws-wiz-serp

Also

https://reedsy.com/discovery/blog/epistolary-novels
But I didn't just want to use Google. Those lists are very often wrong in different ways, especially with the AI generated articles clogging up the Internet pipes

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Hot take - none of the Ghostbusters films are that amazing and it is wild that people treat it as some sacred franchise that has been "ruined" by the modern films.

I hate the modern films because I wish Ghostbusters had just died and not haunted us forever

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Are there currently fewer big name younger actors than there were in the past of am I just old and out of touch or both?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

And by younger lets say under 30 or under 25

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

I like Florence Pugh, Tim chalamet, zendaya, and holland.

And the skars

They are all definitely under 30 but none of them are under 25. I don't know how many big movie role actors I can name that are under 25. I feel like they used to exist. But yeah, I'm probably just an old.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It is November of 2001. You are at the mall all hosed up on Mountain Dew Code Red. You pretend to understand the adult mysteries implied by the items for sale at Spencer Gifts. You page through a thick tome of cute dog pictures at Waldenbooks. Then it's time to rush off to the 215 pm showing of Out Cold at the mall's attached movie theater. Gotta get there early to get the good seats!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What would your stage name be?
Dibs on Jay Coppola

OR$ON WELLE$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What would your stage name be?
Dibs on Jay Coppola

Maurice Mickelwhite