Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I finally got around to seeing M3gan, which was entertaining but could have stood to be weirder and meaner. Feels like they chickened out from making a full-throated "parenting sucks, especially when you never asked for it" movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'd rather be around people who think it is, and especially in the context of the arts.

e: And not only that, but aesthetics being as ultimately unimportant as it is, is precisely what makes it worth taking seriously. Having to take politics or ethics or your job seriously is a curse, but actually caring about art is its own reward.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 12, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

This isn't a conversation about whether you can stop me, it's a conversation about who's right.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Data Graham posted:

But then I think this is a common theme with me, I don't know what makes a "bad" whiskey or a "bad" book or a "bad" piece of music, not unless it's so offensive to my senses that I can't find a single thing bearable about it. I always figure there's just something I'm missing

i mean the criteria by which you judge things is a question of values, and that's entirely subjective. but that's just one more reason why the actually-valuable skill is the ability to articulate your aesthetic values and then point to formal elements that support or undermine them, and one more reason why just calling something "good" or "bad" absent a shared context is meaningless

if you share values, then you can potentially convince someone to change their mind through new analysis. if you don't, you can at least come to different conclusions from the same facts, and point out things the other person might not have noticed even if you disagree about their significance.

in practice people tend to assume a shared context and then get mad or self-conscious when they realize there isn't one

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 12, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

a lot of people will talk about "bad acting" when any part of a performance calls their attention to the fact that it's a performance. this isn't wrong, necessarily, much as i personally think immersion / verisimilitude is kind of a stupid value. you can use it as a lens and judge movies accordingly, and if you do a good job of it your analysis will be perfectly coherent.

but in any case, actually identifying that that's what you care about is both the first step to understanding your own taste and not wasting your time on camp (or camp being wasted on you :v: ) as well as a helpful signpost for anyone who takes your criticism seriously -- whether they agree with you or not.

on the other hand, whether it's out of cowardice, incuriosity, or contempt -- if you're not going to discuss these things, there's not much point in having a discussion at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Last snyder movie i watched was Sucker Punch. Has he gotten better

Sucker Punch ruled but Army of Thieves is better, so yeah

you can skip the cape flicks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gripweed posted:

He was only a producer on Army of Thieves

e: you know, gently caress it, i hadn't actually realized :saddumb:

between being a prequel, the "artist willing to die for their art" narrative, and the way it's shot i never would have guessed.

he's still got a writing credit, so i assume there was some influence for the thematic bit at least, but on the other hand Matthias Schweighöfer deserves better than to get Henry Selick'd

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 13, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If you liked the D&D movie I cannot recommend Game Night (the directors' previous film) enough. The D&D movie is them being as funny as they can within an IP straitjacket.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'll say one thing for Dr. Strange 2: it's in the top 5 Sam Raimi superhero movies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Coaaab posted:

random of the day: even though i'm aware that harakiri was a more widely circulated word than seppuku in the west, i still find it silly that the former was the title for the western release while the latter was title of the movie in japan. are there others instances of this happening, where the international title is left untranslated from the original language but it's a different title with a similar meaning compared to the native release?

Night of the Demon / Curse of the Demon :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Steve McQueen is 28 in The Blob (1958).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the eyeball scene rules, both because it's funny and also because a scene about something really important (almost) being decided by a stupid, arbitrary coincidence is completely on-theme for the movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Interview With the Vampire pretty much the only Tom Cruise performance i really need

Interview With a Vampire is a good Cruise performance, but at max it's the second-best use of him as an actor after Eyes Wide Shut

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

I think the purple one was gay

Why were sewer turtles named by some Japanese rat after the Italian Masters. I have never seen much of Ninja Turtles

Splinter isn't Japanese, he just read a karate pamphlet until he was somehow a martial arts master. He's a weeb.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Over titanic?

I think either one is plausible but Titanic is a very solid, very popular blockbuster that's pretty similar to other blockbusters of its era, while Avatar is both incredibly successful and a relative outlier compared to other big budget films that came out around that time in several ways.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

note i'm not saying anything about quality, I think Titanic is the better film of the two by far.

that said, it's an original property, it's pretty frankly sexual for TV-PG, and it's marketed to a broad range of normal people without being afraid that e.g. marketing to women is going to scare all the dudes away. it's operating in the same cultural moment as, like, Jerry Maguire or Patch Adams.

conversely everything Avatar was up against at the box office was nerd franchise poo poo, almost all of it either literally for children or nominally for adults but weirdly chaste (e.g. Twilight). Avatar's still sci-fi but it feels like a throwback to a different kind of blockbuster filmmaking compared to Harry Potter 4 or the Star Trek reboot, where Titanic just took a combination of sentimentality, spectacle, and star power that was everywhere in the late 90s and did an outstanding job with it

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 14, 2024

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

that account is very clearly not just a dumbass but a reactionary arguing in bad faith, presumably because they're the target of Starship Troopers' satire and they know it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Or because they’re a Twitter Premium subscriber and they know the engagement makes them money.

hardly a contradiction

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

there hasn't been a good marvel movie since Ang Lee's Hulk

except the first Spider-Verse i guess

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the kevin costner robin hood is funnier than men in tights

it's got the rifftrax problem: the mockery just isn't clever enough to be more entertaining than something sincerely weird and awkward

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Space Balls just barely avoids the same pitfall, partly thanks to Rick Moranis and partly because it's more about Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon than it is about the actual movies

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm pretty sure the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes theme gets played on a diegetic radio set at one point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3uIKzgcDxo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

How is the circa 2000 Dune miniseries? I'm guessing it looks pretty cheap.

it's a good time. don't go in expecting movie-level budget to be reflected in literally any aspect of the production, but it's the closest we get to a straight adaptation of the novel and the costuming is hilarious

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Paul is completely hosed up on a drug that makes you live longer.

yeah this is the same setting where canonically the previous Emperor was 77 when Paul deposed him and is describing as looking like he's in his 30s

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gripweed posted:

You ever watch a movie and be like, “drat I know I’ve seen that actor in something before…” and then realize you’re just remembering seeing them earlier in the movie?

there's a lovely creature feature on Prime Video i've seen twice and the second time i didn't realize i'd seen it before until it was almost over. i've also forgotten the name so it could conceivably happen again

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Splint Chesthair posted:

Was it “Bog?” Because that happened to me with Bog.

I looked it up in my viewing history, it was Dark Was the Night.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah these are hot people who happen to be a bit outside of the conventional molds. There's always been room for that in Hollywood. Do y'all think Steve McQueen wasn't hot, too?

was Steve McQueen unconventionally hot by the standards of his heyday, though, or is this just a retroactive judgment?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Majkol posted:

This is sort of like if a young kid has seen and heard jokes, but does not yet understand what makes them funny, setup, punchline etc. so they just come up with a situation they think is funny and then they keep repeating it ad nauseam without really escalating or building to anything and then it just sort of fizzles out.
Is this guy a nepo baby who had someone famous on social media retweet or reference this video?

it's got the tiktok stink. something about the way the algorithm counts views or viewing time favors skits that never actually resolve and keeping teasing the viewer until they abruptly end

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Strapping them to a chair like Clockwork Orange and making them watch Inu-Oh

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Pinocchio was the clear winner of the Oscar no matter what, but it would have been nice for Inu-Oh to get a nom. Thought it had a chance after the Globes.

it's the singular masterpiece of a director who has never made a bad film or show, one of the greatest animators alive, and half the time it feels like even weebs barely know he exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Alice in Wonderland is downright offensive. Despise it. It's like that Owen Wilson Bob Ross flick where it's like watching someone piss on an original beloved work for two hours. Carroll's story is kooky but it's incredibly witty, and to replace that and all the character from Wonderland with the most generic fantasy "get sword, slay dragon" plot is a travesty. It also looks disgusting. Might the worst movie I've ever seen. Phooey.

Alice in Wonderland will always stick with me because the final scene is just that "Did Margaret Thatcher have girl power?" skit except played 100% straight.

"Yes little Alice, you can go join the East India Trading Company!"