Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Looking forward to the American remake of Anatomy of a Fall where the blind kid is played by Timothee Chalomet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ruddiger posted:

Like that twilight zone episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rwUdL9qXjk&t=17s

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Time After Time is definitely a better idea than movie.

I feel the same about Stay Tuned.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
idk where to post this but I stumbled across this video last night and it's a banger from start to finish, like Les Blanc by way of Christopher Guest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNAKjALO7c

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
All art should kill on sight.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

every job has a pecking order and I assume the grips all complain about whoever is lower than them

Bugs?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

To add to my last post, after sitting with it for a bit, I think All That Jazz might be one of the best movies ever made? Or at least a new favorite, personal top 5 easily. Have seen a lot of movies do similar stuff with fantasy elements compounding until they take over the flick, but never with as much grace and charm as this one does. Bojack Horsemen immediately comes to mind, but I think the "this is your life" episode there doesn't resonate as strongly as Joe's song and dance numbers do. When his daughter does the solo performance of "hey you're not going to be around to see me grow old", just oof. Yet it never loses the wit in Joe's sarcasm and self-destruction.

That finale is such a loving banger too. Felt like what Andy Warhol's Factory was probably going for with so much shine and sparkle. What a final cut.

It's just perfect. I kind of want to watch Fosse's other movies, but I think I hosed up by seeing his crown work. Can't stop thinking about it.

Fosse was amazing, Lenny and Star 80 are both grimy must-sees. His choreography also was obviously next-level - mean, kinda hosed up, harsh and menacing. He could take a piece of anodyne nostalgia like Sing, Sing, Sing and turn it into a coked-out fever dream by pushing the dancers absolutely to their limits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEOQll6252o

The sense of too-muchness and self-destruction is always the first thing that gets scrubbed from his choreography in revivals, lol. It bums me out that Kander and Ebb never got to do a They Shoot Horses musical with him because I think it would've been a perfect combo, though I think his depiction of them in All That Jazz as fussy little f-slurs probably killed that collab.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
hot take: yorgos lanthimos is a poor man's peter greenaway

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Coaaab posted:

what are greenaway works are worth it after the 1980s?

tbh once he and nyman split it was mostly downhill but I'll still go to bat for The Baby of Macon

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
jg ballard-rear end movie

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Mordiceius posted:

Also, why does he and Lars von Trier occupy the same spot in my brain?

Lanthimos is more Gilliamesque but both have a very sour European outlook.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Peak era for sorta weird looking people in Hollywood was the 70s.

Now is the age of nearly identical hotties.

thank god for david harbour

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Chakan posted:

If I said I was going to do one movie a week for 5-6 weeks with the loose theme "punks," which movies should I consider? I need an excuse to show some friends Repo Man.

Jubilee, Naked, any given episode of The Young Ones

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's kind of a shame they didn't bring back Bertie Carvel, who originated the musical role as a kind of psychotic panto dame, but Thompson was serviceable. Tim Minchin's score is fabulous either way.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's hard to say what's the best but it definitely feels like Nope is the most refined of his movies so far- like his skills as a director have clearly developed a lot in the making of all three movies. I see it as more like comparing, say, Cronenberg's Shivers to The Brood. Both very good movies but you can see him learning more in terms of pure technique and visual flair.

I still don't think it quite stuck the third-act change in tone, but scene-by-scene Nope is hit after hit after hit in a way that feels oddly rare for a film of its scale these days. It's got the rewatchability of something like Twister or Tremors.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Jay Rust posted:

I watched My Dinner with André today, now THAT'S a mature movie

I know that movie gets dunked on for being the most uppercrust arthouse movie possible but I've seen it so many times and it's always fascinating to me. Great dialogue is such a simple and powerful thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's funny to me that people mostly just know Wallace Shawn as a silly little gnome-like character actor because all of the plays he's written are harrowing, scalding nightmares.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Peter Greenaway produced six of my favorite movies from 1980 to 1989.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Jesse Plemons is astonishingly good at playing terrifying nightmare psychopaths.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXvREOqe1_M&t=259s

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://x.com/WillSloanEsq/status/1786825517208846767

This is a really good prompt, curious if there are more good examples than those offered here?

I want to say I Love You, Daddy is CK making GBS threads on Woody Allen but he also invited Allen to play the pedophile character in it after collaborating with him, so I have no idea what happened there (also the other stuff lol). Either way, I hope they both die soon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Phantom Menace got a lot of post-release mileage out of its insane marketing campaign, but I'll never forget how Attack of the Clones sucked all the air out of the room.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Ed Wood

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Sweeney Todd is such an unhinged grand guignol powerhouse onstage that it's impossible to see the movie as anything but a frail shadow.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I feel like Alice in Wonderland was the movie that launched the current era of movies making a billion dollars no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
if you're feeling suicidal, lars von trier is your idol
if you're craving something boring, gus van sant is worth exploring