Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Rewatching the whole Cornetto Trilogy tonight.

One of my favourite parts of Shaun of the Dead is all the uniquely-dressed zombies with unspoken backstories. Like the guy in the cycling garb and headphones, or the one-armed kid that gets into Shaun's flat who looks like a groomsman. Or that all the zombies attacking them outside Barbara and Philip's place look like hooligan chavs.

Starting Hot Fuzz now, which is easily the best of the trilogy and probably my favourite cop movie ever. These guys are so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ruddiger posted:

If you watched Spaced you get to see the bicyclist’s backstory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sF6Lnxl8ZA

Oh lmao, thanks. I've been meaning to give this show a watch.

The re-use of the "never taken a shortcut before?" gag in HF is such a great piece of physical comedy.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm rewatching Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. It's still really good, but in kind of a sophomoric way, like I can't really explain it but even for a 2007 movie some of the photography and editing and production design feels really amateur, art film poo poo. But in a good way? Some of the shot angles/camera moves (and that bizarre flashing smash cut to each character's flashback) just feel awkward, you know? It's weirdly charming.

So the director is some cat named Lumet? I realized I've never actually seen any of his other films, though I'm familiar with Serpico (through parodies mostly) and vaguely familiar with the story of Dog Day Afternoon. Are they like this, kind of basic and raw in a way that gets things across? Which one should I watch first?

Ethan Hawke's disguise looks like he's straight out of the music video to Sabotage by the Beastie Boys, and Philip Seymour Hoffman wears these yellow shirts that just accentuate how much he looks like he has high blood pressure. But the cast is stacked and the writing is extremely compelling. Also, Marisa Tomei is a goddess.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 9, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Giving District 9 a rewatch. Idk what the thread consensus is on Blomkamp's movies but I like the cool tech and weapons in just about all of them (and it sucks that he could have made an Aliens sequel but didn't). On the other hand he kind of only knows how to make one movie: a hamfisted apartheid analogy.

The way the documentary angle sets the stage and then kind of melts away. I'm sure there are other films that use this kind of narrative setup but I'm drawing a blank.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 22, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

DeimosRising posted:

please, explain how demonic and zygote are apartheid analogies

Chill. I suppose I was misremembering and it's not as directly apartheid-focused as I thought; as Blood Boils pointed out earlier it's more about refugee crises in general. I should have said "a hamfisted allegory to inequality," in a much more general sense that's pretty much what he does. They're all fun though, I was surprised and impressed with how well it held up 15 years later, especially as SMG points out on how low a budget it was produced.

Whether or not it deserves a sequel... IDK, I'm the type who'd like to see ends like that wrapped up and see Wikus reunited with Tania after that mild tear-jerker of an ending, but it looks like all the 'news' about it is clickbait and it stands well enough on its own anyway that a sequel might cheapen things. I just want more alien tech.

Another thing Blomkamp does really well that appeals to the popcorn action flick lover, is larger-than-life villains. I was initially going to watch Elysium, because Copley's portrayal of the mercenary Kruger sells that whole movie for me. He's like something out of a comic book. Similarly, Koobus in D9 has a few ECU shots where he's cackling maniacally about how much he loves murdering aliens. I think the portrayal of the Nigerian gangs is more than a bit cringe in retrospect but the gang leader, too, is certainly a larger-than-life character whose arc moves the film in interesting directions. And of course the funniest one is Jackman in Chappie, who I suspect might be a caricature of how left-leaning South Africans see all Australian expats.

Copley is a fantastic actor for (allegedly?) someone who had no experience. He reminds me so much of a friend of mine, in how he can play quiet and reserved and also go full manic "gently caress YOU" very convincingly. Anything else with him worth watching? I enjoyed Hardcore Henry a lot and even the A-Team remake was pretty fun, for a dumb movie.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TadBradley posted:

Basically this. Movie set shitposting, but goonier. I wanted to talk about Grips eating crayons.

Late to the party as usual but I have an anecdote about grips being dumbasses and I'm not even really film industry. I saw your thread but I don't want to stink it up with this as a first reply, hope it's OK for a GenChat thread.

A couple of years ago I had a motorcycle that I'd park behind the garbage bins just a couple feet from the sidewalk, right outside my bedroom window. I was very protective of it because my last bike had gotten stolen. It had an alarm. One day this film crew descended on the neighbourhood, they were shooting something in a house a bit up the street from me. They used the little corner where the garbage bins are as something of a staging area to hold spare C-stands and for grips to sit around on apple boxes.

I worked a day shift that day, and came home to my bike alarm going off. Repeatedly. These idiots were bumping into it, leaning on it, all sorts of poo poo even though it was literally tucked behind two large garbage bins they couldn't stop touching it. I stuck my head out the window and told them to knock it off, but it kept happening.

So I called my buddy who's pretty high up in the local IA Grips department. He said "if those were my guys I'd have sent them home already. Go out and demand to talk to their ALM, and they'll get smoked out." So I did that, and they went white as a sheet, and the ALM did send someone home without pay, and none of them touched my bike again.

I'd love to get more work with the union (I'm technically a permit) but morons like that really put me off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i still kinda think the Twilight baby is how they should've done Alia in Dune 2

They sorta did, they got Anya Taylor Joy, who looks like goddamn Alita: Battle Angel.