Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Bright Bart posted:

American Fiction is solid. There is a character introduced in the first act that you think is going to be a huge, fine part of the film but makes an immediate exit. But it's still solid.

Have you seen Bamboozled? The trailer made this look very similar, like a version of it with the edges filed off (which I could see being for better and worse- you lose some of the interesting material that using a less-established style nets you and the fiery didacticism of the original work, but you’d also lose some of the self-consciously arthouse shabbiness and the “director’s second screenplay”type rawness.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Data Graham, I highly recommend that you check out Wings of Honneamise, alternatively titled Royal Space Force, which deals directly with your concern.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

josh04 posted:

but beyond that I'd just say that most of these are versions of the classical tragedy, where someone's unshakeable qualities lead them to great heights of personal heroism but also necessarily lead to their downfall. Ford v Ferrari ends with a car crash.

I think what separates Wings of Honneamise from this framework is that it’s informed by a political layer, as well. The actions of the characters are overtly shaped by their material/ideological circumstances, and contribute to those circumstances in turn, in a way that moves the work beyond the scope of a classical tragedy structure.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lobster Henry posted:

Just got out of The Boy and the Heron and I really don’t know what happened in that movie or what I thought about it. I know it begins beautifully, but it might’ve lost me at some point in the fantasy world. But maybe it didn’t? The vibes are very strong throughout. I just don’t know.

I’m in the market for an opinion about this movie. I’ll take the first one that’s on offer!

E: but I do know that This Side of Paradise was written by a talented 23-year-old and boy does it feel like it.

I have a different read on this film than the prevailing one that it’s a career retrospective for Miyazaki.

It’s worth noting that the Japanese title for the picture is “How Do You Live?”, in reference to a Japanese children’s book that was heavily censored during WWII. That question, how do you live, reverberates throughout the film: how do you live in an unacceptable world, when everyone around you is complicit and the status quo is lethal?

Rather than being a movie that muses about creation, the central concern of Boy and the Heron is the necessity of righteous destruction. At the start, inter-imperialist warfare claims the life of the main character’s mother. His father remarries to his mother’s sister and continues his work perpetuating the war machine; the Zero fighter planes are literally carried home and laid on the protagonist’s doorstep. Amidst the inner turmoil the boy experiences from this hypocrisy and savagery, another world emerges, one where he can glimpse his late mother. It’s a world that was created by someone who learned so much that it rendered him unable to coexist with our world anymore, a position similar to the protagonist’s.

But the fantasy world is unbalanced, cruel, propagates itself unnaturally, and the protagonist refuses to perpetuate it. After, the boy returns to our own world. When asked what he’ll do from there, he commits to trying to reconnect and establish stronger bonds with his friends and loved ones, rejecting the despondence and alienation that governed his relationships previously.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I think this coexists with the career retrospective reading

Yeah, I agree with that; there’s certainly no denying that referential imagery features throughout the movie. But I think that this read speaks to the film more completely, and is also more valuable for the audience, then the self-reflective aspect.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lobster Henry posted:

Thank you, this is really interesting stuff. A lot it didn’t come into focus for me, unfortunately. Like, for example, the Tower Master seemed so thinly characterised that I couldn’t attach a lot of weight to the idea of “malice” that seemed so important in the end. But it sounds like I could stand to read some more about the film, mull it over, and then try a second watch.

That’s a mysterious moment, for sure. Mahito indicates that the scar on his head proves that he can’t set the world right. It’s the scar that he got from a shocking incident earlier in the film, when he bludgeons himself in the head after being beaten up by bullies at school.

I don’t totally grasp what’s meant by that, either. It seems like it must mean more than just “I am as guilty as any and cannot become God,” given that it’s directly tied to that earlier event, but I don’t know what you are supposed to read from that. I’m not sure I completely understand his original self-mutilation, for that matter. Maybe it’s underwritten there. Maybe I just am not seeing it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

That's really cool actually. I've read novelizations where they're essentially just a transcript of the movie so gotta give him credit for going for it.

I remember as a wee child reading a book that was a sequel to the movie ET. I don't remember seeing that before or since, a prose sequel to a movie. Wonder if there are others.

The novelization to the video game Doom has a bunch of sequels set in Salt Lake City (author is Mormon).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Untouchables rocks. It’s hilarious how they chose to end it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i may not like the man's movies but he makes a quality pretzel

That’s right. A local boy done good, Hanover MA born and bred

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I saw a 30 second clip of Reacher and could instantly tell why it’s gold. I even thought about watching it, but the episodes are 45 minutes long, and I know I’m behind the times but I absolutely cannot do that format of TV. Give me a 22 minute show all day. If it’s gonna take me an hour I’m gonna watch a movie.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I’m excited for the One Piece remake. I want to watch the series but those old arcs look a little creaky for me. I love Dragon Ball and all, but I don’t think I have another epic length legacy shonen in me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I followed One Piece in sprints, where basically like once every five years I get caught up on either the anime or the manga and then just stop for the next five years. I think this new adaptation is the first time I'm actually going to follow the story regularly, all the way to the end. However many years that takes.

But yeah I know what you mean about the long Shonen series. I tried to get into Jujutsu Kaisen but it just slid off me. I could tell it was a well done programme but my Shonen hole was full. Hell, I liked Dragon Ball Super but when it got to the tournament and there were all these new characters I was just like, man I ain't remembering any of these fuckers.

It's different for something like JoJo or Gundam where there it resets regularly. These giant sprawling series that just keep going and expanding, they're too much for my elderly rear end.

I love Dragon Ball Super but it’s definitely a series for 30-40 somethings that have been watching Goku their whole lives. It’s a series that has settled into middle age.

With the new stuff like JJK and Chainsaw Man, yeah part of it is definitely that I’m not a child anymore and shonen isn’t really intended for me, but exacerbating that is that I think it’s written for youths with much shorter attention spans than I ever had. The story is extremely gestural, almost dreamlike in how quickly it’s established and then swept away. There’s almost nothing there to raise the tension or attach you to the characters. Things just sort of happen in a barely intelligible sequence.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I once went on a date with a woman who said that one of her goals in life was to catch up on One Piece so that she could watch it with her dad before he passed away.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

What movies are you guys gonna watch on valentine’s day with your best girl/boy/person?

Maybe Supermarket Woman, my girlfriend’s favorite movie.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Gripweed pretending not to know the turtles only to drop the deep cut lore

A very 2009 posting style to be sure.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lol, I had a dream where I was trying to remember the name of Hype Williams, and what I came up with was Bob Euphoria.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Goddamn it’s been ages since I ate a pear

We got these huge Asian pears at Costco last month, they were incredible. Juicy, perfectly crisp and honey sweet.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

They made a sequel to kingsmen called kings man?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best thing about Haunting of Hill House is all the background ghouls.

Like a reverse jump scare. People are talking about some family drama and the whole time some unnaturally pale hands are very slightly poking out from under the ottoman out of focus in the background.

Reminds me of Ghostwatch.

Want to steal it for some future project, where even if there is a main monster there's occasional bonus ghosts that nobody ever notices or comments on just kinda lurking in the frame.

I really liked how, in Hereditary, in the framing shot of the house before the cult enters the main stage, you can see them standing in a row around the yard. But you don’t really have context for what you’re looking at, and it’s only for a second.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Buying the entire catalogue to make a 1:1 recreation of the Criterion Closet. Then renting it out to people who want to pretend they got invited to the real Criterion Closet so they can post clips off it on social media.

Lmao

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Stagecoach rocks. I think about the directing in the climax of that movie all the time.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I have a dumb idiot brain.

Can someone explain to me what the message of Poor Things is?

In Frankenstein, we face the shortcomings of mankind when they try to become God by creating man.

In Poor Things, we face the shortcomings of men when they try to become Men by creating Woman.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I bounced off Wandering Earth (1), I just wasn’t in the right headspace at the time, but I really want to watch it when I have the time.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wandering Earth II: Still Wanderin’

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Americans somehow let me into their country and I am now riding on one of their trains.

Oh brave new world that has such vehicles in it.

Sorry about the MBTA.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Well you’re here you have to try some American food.

This is true, if nothing else you owe it to yourself to get a decent pizza.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wow, I didn’t know they were making a movie about em! That rocks.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tried a pizza. It was pretty good. Not very different to any previously tried pizza though.

*Actually American.

Listen. I held off on replying to this because I didn’t want to be a prick but I cannot help myself.

You need to eat a Regina’s slice. It doesn’t have to be from the original spot. The takeout counter at South Station will do.

There’s a lot of trap pizza out there, but Boston has slices that rival New York.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

So far I've tried something called Joe's Pizza which was alright and boasted about all the famous people who've eaten there (or seemingly in the original location in NYC) and some random place called Boston Kitchen Pizza where the slice was bigger than my head which was pretty good but very greasy.

Will seek out this Regina.

Ok, ok. I will calm down then. Joe’s Pizza is actually a NYC transplant that opened about six months ago, but it is a good slice. Topping game weak but the same can be said of Regina’s. Boston Pizza Kitchen is aight too, solid B tier slice with the novelty of the size.

I just couldn’t rest thinking that you had eaten the so-called local favorite “bar pizza” or what is referred to as Greek pizza.

Another thing Boston does quite well is American-style Chinese food, but it’s harder for me to make a good recommendation on that (not the least because the best stuff is on the South Shore.)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Pinnochios in Harvard Square is good if yr into sicilian style pizza, also you can marvel at all the pictures of Mark Zuckerberg on the wall while you eat

I have started ordering delivery from a place called Detroit Pizza Co in Brighton, and it brings me no pleasure to say this: it kicks rear end. Expensive but rich enough that one slice is like two. Strong buffalo wing game also.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Last time I was in Boston I had lunch at some dim sum place that was just in a big old theatre hall or something, and you just pointed at the delicious looking poo poo going by on the trolleys and they gave it to yiu. Think we were the only gweilos there, but man that poo poo was delicious and cheap even though I may not be able to ever find it again

Hei La Moon. Great spot. Sadly, they had to move out of the huge banquet hall.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I haven’t been since, my partner was diagnosed with celiac disease which puts most restaurants out of the question. I imagine so though, it’s the same family running the show.

Not really the type of Chinese food I meant, though. I mean crab rangoons and sweet and sour pork. I was shocked to find that you can’t good American Chinese in most of the country.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Sitting on my couch watching The First Slam Dunk on Bluray with a laptop in front of the TV playing the subtitle track that my friend made because it’s not getting an official English release maybe ever?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

E: nvm!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Had one of those Regina slices and it was great.

Thank you, god bless.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lol, that is a classic rivalry. I am a Modern man myself. Another nice spot for sweets is Burdick chocolates, who have a few locations in the city. Expensive bonbon assortments, but the hot chocolate is priced the same as Starbucks and is world class. The pastries are aight too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

We love a 70 minute film here.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Gústi rocks!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Black character’s race is definitely a big factor in Night of the Living Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, I just don’t believe that. Obviously that’s possible and even likely about the script, but I din’t think the final film was a serendipitous accident the way he claims.