Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

at the library, renting movies is easy and free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

being so obsessed with something that you ruin your life and the lives of those around you is the American dream

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

They know exactly who rents things from the library, and they are not 30-something Vinegar Syndrome enthusiasts.

librarian here: incorrect

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Flix Brewhouse sounds like if a comedy show had to make up a fake version of Alamo Drafthouse

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I was just informed that the young girl who can talk to Gamera in the 90s movies is Steven Seagal’s daughter, and I need to go lie down.

you and me both

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody see any good movies lately?

new or repertory

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i watched Under the Cherry Moon (in the theater on 35mm) and Sign o' The Times (on Tubi), both were sick. i'm fully on the Under the Cherry Moon Critical Reevaluation Squad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Envious. I've been deliberately putting off seeing Under the Cherry Moon until I can catch it in person in a theater. I was a lot less keen on Purple Rain than I'd expected, but I vaguely recall reading that Cherry is more batshit and less a surprise PSA on spousal abuse.

I didn't like it as much as Purple Rain (caveat: i love Purple Rain, 5/5 movie for me), but Prince definitely got better as an actor between the two movies. And Kristin Scott Thomas is so good! What a debut performance!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the thing about critics is, everyone is one

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

a movie is bad when it sucks, and it is good when it kicks rear end

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i may not like the man's movies but he makes a quality pretzel

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lobster Henry posted:

What Mike Leigh film should I watch next? Ive seen:

Abigail’s Party
Vera Drake
Topsy Turvy
Happy Go Lucky
Mr Turner

Apart from Mr. Turner, the only one I've seen is Naked, which is outstanding but very bleak and depressing (and funny) (also cw: sexual assault)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Cameo posted:

Danny McBride becoming one sort of guy when the first time I remember seeing him is in All The Real Girls (because Jody, Danny, and David Gordon Green I believe are all college friends, if not even older friends than that?) is very weird.

Really underrated movie and yeah ground zero for a lot of great actors. Shea Whigham is so young in it!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Michael Shannons weirdest role like that is probably in The Night Before as the weed dealer but he absolutely nails it. I think that role might also be closest to his real life persona

i like him as the evidence locker guy who gets pushed around by Nick Cage in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

edit: ah poo poo got the wrong guy who got pushed around by Nick Cage in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans

that’s fair, he pushes around a lot of people in that movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah Lambert over Russell is the right choice for the role. i could not under any circumstances buy Kurt Russell existing during the middle ages.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

He's smug because he's always sitting with the knowledge that he could fold a stranger in half like a piece of paper at any minor inconvenience. And he does!

e: I made a comic to help you understand the show

lmao

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tom Cruise gets the vibe of Reacher even if he's too small. Not a lot of actors could sell the line where he says he's going to drink someone's blood out of his boot.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

that makes sense, i haven't watched the show and i've only read two of the books. i should check out more.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm watching Reacher because of yall

glad we could reach you

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i thought the big shift the last season of Barry took was a huge miscalculation but the first three and a half or so seasons were so good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think the last moment i really liked was the attempted prison hit, which also might be the only time i've ever found Fred Armisen funny.

fake edit: actually i think the cameo from the director of CODA was the following episode, that bit was really good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Cinema rules, tv drools

as true now as it ever was

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I really enjoyed season 1, but felt totally satisfied at the end of it. It more or less ended on no matter what he does he'll never be able to escape who he is or what hes done. Everything I've heard about the later seasons of the show just seems like drawn-out reinforcement of that. I felt like it made its point extremely well and I didn't need more, but glad to hear that more or less it remained as high-quality.

I think seasons 2 and 3 are excellent, and the finale of season 3 honestly feels like a perfectly natural ending point for the series so I think you could stop there and not miss out on much.

I remember while season 4 was going on there was some article going around with a headline like “Bill Hader says Larry David told him he should’ve ended Barry after season 3” and i was like, yeah, Larry David was right.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lord of the Rings walked so Dune could take us down the golden path

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Lord of the Rings walked so Dune could run so Warhammer 40k could fly

and really Warhammer was just a vehicle to give us Bolt Thrower.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

uh oh gonna become obsessed with movigrid now (just nailed today's, hell yeah)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Cameo posted:

A third of the movie called Oppenheimer should not be about what happened to Oppenheimer? What is this argument, did you just want Nolan to show you more of him cucking his buddies or something

who didn't?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i have seen enough: Barbie will not be winning Best Picture

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kentucky Fried Movie is Hamburger Film Sandwich in French.

excellent

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jason London was 27 when he played a high school senior in The Rage: Carrie 2 which I mostly just find notable because it came out six years after he very notably played a high school senior in Dazed and Confused

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dan Aykroyd rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Interview With the Vampire pretty much the only Tom Cruise performance i really need

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Brad Pitt on the other hand. What a dim oval office

it's legit shocking how bad Pitt is in it lol. i always forget that he didn't really learn how to act til the late '90s

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Interview With a Vampire is a good Cruise performance, but at max it's the second-best use of him as an actor after Eyes Wide Shut

Eyes Wide Shut is a good use of him as a screen presence, Interview With the Vampire is a great use of him as an actor

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

In what? I straight up don't like that guy. Except he's hot

i think he's good in Fight Club. you can see the gears start to turn in Seven, he still seems like a dumb young shithead in it but that's what the role calls for.

like a lot of people, he gave his best ever performance for the Coen brothers (Burn After Reading)

Coaaab posted:

pondering "who had their career-best performance in a kubrick film" and can only think of arguables like george c. scott, peter sellers, malcolm mcdowell. never seen anything else douglas rain did, but that may be the winner by default

McDowell probably qualifies, although I love him in Lindsay Anderson's movies. while I do think George C. Scott gives the best performance in Dr. Strangelove, I don't think you could call it his best performance overall.

Full Metal Jacket has a couple contenders (Matthew Modine, Vinnie D'onofrio, and of course R. Lee Ermey)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think the trouble with claiming Eyes Wide Shut as a performance highlight for Cruise is not only does he get blown off the screen in pretty much any scene he shares with Nicole Kidman (understandable) but in one scene he gets blown off the screen by Alan Cumming

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I assume Alan Cumming is all classically shakespeare trained and stuff and that's great but i can't look at him without thinking of his extremely grating role as "i'm invincible!" guy in Goldeneye

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

he did make a good Nightcrawler and that's my favorite comic book character so to be clear i have no smoke with Alan Cumming (although when he pops up in Goldeneye i am like "man i wish this guy would be Alan Going")

i also liked him in Josie and the Pussycats.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Titus the movie by Julie Taymor? Rules. Titus the TV show by Christopher Titus? Also rules.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Famously Kubrick tricked him into giving that performance. He didn't want to go that broad but Kubrick said he do it just for rehearsal and that the shouting parts wouldn't make it into the movie.

the part where he trips and tumbles and just keeps going is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

it's interview with THE vampire

Dracula?