Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

Yeah there's a lot of just animal abuse in Hong Kong films from the 80s especially cat 3 films

In fact CAT 3 seems to promise it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anybody see any good movies lately?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I had a good time with NIGHT SWIM.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

new or repertory

Whatever you got, it's all the same poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Under The Cherry Moon is great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
God, Nate Silver is so fuckin' stupid.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's my favorite game: just go to the bookstore and look at bestselling nonfiction authors, then look up how many of them are notorious for acting like complete imbeciles on Twitter.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Goonmined.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Safety Factor posted:

Watching the Gambler for the first time and let's just look up what $44,000 in 1974 dollars are today and...

:stonk:

Median salary around that time was like 21k, lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gaius Marius posted:

The Iron Claw was sick. Should've gotten nominations.

I feel about THE IRON CLAW the way some others react to SALTBURN and POOR THINGS.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

did you see all three?

I sure did and think IRON CLAW is the worst of the three.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Should I bother with saltburn or claw?

They are all January movies, do what your heart tells you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

you're right, there are only so many minutes in my life

i did like poor things tho

Clearly I like that kind of thing as I saw all three and like half a dozen other movies besides.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

What’s your favorite January movie

Mine is cloverfield

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: DARK MIJO

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Waffleman_ posted:

I hope they include the Tommy Pickles dump truck literally full of poo poo

What the hell, lol.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

pondering "who had their career-best performance in a kubrick film" and can only think of arguables like george c. scott, peter sellers, malcolm mcdowell. never seen anything else douglas rain did, but that may be the winner by default

Timothy Carey.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coaaab posted:

I ought to watch the world's greatest sinner to be sure

Easily one of the greatest films ever made.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I always check if it's on Youtube. Who do you think you're talking to??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

Napoleon (2023, d. Scott)

Obviously the sexy mouse is based on someone but it doesn't immediately come to mind who.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

The famous sexy mouse from history

Oh? You know a lot of those?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

what part of the girl turtle who was the yellow one and gay with the pig girl don't you understand?

The gently caress?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Awesome, I hope you get this placed!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kaworu posted:

Hey fellow film nerds. Haven’t posted here in a while, but something recently happened that kinda blew me away in terms of…. Film nerdiness, I guess?

I moved out of my hometown and across the country about 4 years ago, and during that time my father started and pretty much devoted himself to a nonprofit entity called “Kinonik” where he collects and screens prints of older films. I never took it too seriously and thought it was a small thing he did to sort of recapture his favorite job from his youth (film projectionist) in his retirement. Which is totally awesome and cool as far as I’m concerned, but I should have paid more attention.

He recently sent me a list of all the films he’s amassed in his collection so far, and I cannot overstate how ridiculously impressed I was. He’s got maybe 500 films at this point, including original 16mm prints of films like…. Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, Rashomon, Ikiru, Citizen Kane, Wizard of Oz, The 400 Blows, Scarface (the original 1932 one), The Seventh Seal, Fanny and Alexander… and those are just like a very small number of the especially high quality *original* prints of some films he’s collected so far!

So, I really and truly don’t know what to think. I’m pretty sure some of those film prints are pretty valuable and rare, and I would have thought EXTREMELY valuable and rare. But maybe not that crazy if my dad can do this in like 5 years? I really don’t know how hard it would be get “A” quality original film prints of, say, just Sunset Boulevard and Double Indemnity! Let alone an original copy of The Wizard of Oz with the switch to IB Tech mid-reel. I’m sort of reeling from this news.

That's awesome. What's his archival/preservation situation looking like?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, this is fabulous. You must be extremely proud of your dad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

Watching She Devil. Movies from the 50s are wild. The patient is a young unmarried woman and the doctor is a man in a position of authority over so I guess he’s basically her dad? Or, like, owns her a little bit?

The number of science fiction and horror films where the professor/doctor's assistant is his daughter is uncountable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kaworu posted:

If anyone is still interested, here’s some pictures of the “Kinonik Studio” where my dad stores and works on the reels, and where he also does screenings every Wednesday night it seems. I was just talking to him about it - they used to do them at this dilapidated old theater in downtown Portland called “The Movies”, and then they were screening at a local art gallery called “Space” for a while, but that apparently wasn’t too functional. Now they screen here, and it sounds like it’s a pretty fun place to watch a movie with 30-40 folks in there together.

But anyway, here is the place and how it looks! The two girls in the panorama are apparently interns who just began there today, according to my dad. I’m actually a little envious, apparently one of them wanted to just live there full-time and sleep on the couch. I would too!

This is so sick. What a setup!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ShoogaSlim posted:

these all look like what i'm looking for. thanks!

like Mordiceius, i also had this on tape as a kid so i just wound up watching it a bunch and have fond memories of it. i also had dracula dead and loving it which i saw a bunch, but i had never actually seen bram stoker's dracula until a few years ago. i was astonished at how much of the story i knew just bc i have memories of seeing the parody as a kid lol.

https://y.yarn.co/6137e580-a6ef-4163-ae34-2a013fe4f5a6.mp4

Said this a bunch before but man Peter MacNichol is just trying his little rear end off in DRACULA, DEAD AND LOVING IT.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i love Nightbreed more than almost anyone but he is not a very good actor lol

NIGHTBREED is one of those movies like SCANNERS where it helps and not hurts that the lead is a blandly handsome guy who doesn't seem like an actor.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

he's clearly a dude Clive Barker cast because he thought he was hot and that rules

Basically yeah. Ideally he'd be played by George Michael.

Basebf555 posted:

I disagree I think it hurts both movies. Particularly Scanners.

The whole point of Lack's character in SCANNERS is that he's in over his head, it's great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Actors are overrated.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"Favorite film-opening logo" is a frequent discussion between my partner and I, I think I gotta go with the Toei waves crashing on the rocks.

the Mosfilm youtube channel is incredible. their restoration of the extended version of Andrei Rublev looks better than Criterion's!

Rank films gong, Shaw Bros fake WB or the Janus head.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqloPw5wp48

Head up: a new Contrapoints dropped yesterday, and it's a drat good one.

I am skeptical my brother.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I knew you were a Twihard but not for the books.

Whoa!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How is Tod Browning's Freaks?

Meh. It's alright.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ynohtna posted:

You can have Donald Pleasance and Tom Baker in The Freakmaker instead.

Oh hell yeah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The thing I disliked the most about THE IRON CLAW was that it did not focus enough on Fritz.

regulargonzalez posted:

Star Wars cantina music

Jizz.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

I watched Fatal Exam. Specifically, I watched the first hour of Fatal Exam last night, and the second hour of Fatal Exam tonight. Because, and I can't stress this enough, Fatal Exam is two hours long.

The weird lines and awkward delivery are often funny, but nowhere near enough to make two hours of it worth watching. The horror element is not done well. It's one thing to not be scary, but it's so far away from scary it makes you wonder if anyone involved in the production of the movie had ever experienced fear

There is a stop motion demon at the end, but it is not charming like all of the stop motion monsters from Winterbeast.

Fatal Exam is like the perfect fodder for Redlettermedia to do on their Best of the Worst series. They'd cut in some particularly good lines, show off the unflattering fashion and haircuts that literally every member of the cast has, and crack some jokes about the moustaches failing to make the male protagonist and antagonist look like anything other than man-sized babies.

But as a movie to watch on it's own merits, Fatal Exam gets and F.

For some reason I kept mixing this title up with FATAL GAMES, which rocks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Heavy Metal posted:

Any goon takes on Argylle? I know I'm rolling the dice watching this one. Movie night with the gang and whatnot.

Insane dogshit, the JURASSIC WORLD of movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Barely.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Man this interviewer is bad. The questions aren't bad, and Schrader takes it in spades and is a good interviewee, but Friedland just diverts every follow-up into the most basic offensive remark he can.

Takes it in spades? Schrader himself is a scumbag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

TAFS is the perfect place for a man who’s been kicked out of at least one celebrity poker room for being too creepy to the women involved.

A guy who by his own admission sees Taylor Swift like Travis Bickle saw Betsy.