Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Just like the poo poo I start on Plex
I forgot I've seen 10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I work from home though, so probably half of those I only paid partial attention to while answering an email from some rear end in a top hat.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

librarian here

Thank you for your service. o7

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

You could make an argument for Lou Bloom in Nightcrawler, depending on if you think his pathetic groveling nature is goofy.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Saltburn is an OK-to-good movie with a great-to-excellent movie buried somewhere inside of it with a few more passes at the script. Too much time spent at being shocking when Fennell could have used that same energy to throw in some nuance. An interesting point of comparison is Donna Tartt's The Secret History, also ostensibly about a middle class outsider making friends with a posh college student, and then following them through the questionable moral circumstances that arise from wanting to preserve or attain high status, but where Tartt is more keen to imply and suggest, Fennell is just like HEY, DID YOU NOTICE? DID YOU? DID YOU SEE IT? The cum-tub slurpfest was shocking in a 'wow, are we really doing this' way, but the depravity following that felt more paint-by-numbers than anything else.

Absolutely gorgeous movie though, wanna hang out in that house.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

checkplease posted:

Maestro is weird in that it’s a biopic, but I felt like it wanted me to know a lot more about Bernstein than I do. Events and names just pop up without much reference. I guess it stands out compared to Oppenheimer which actively tries to guide the viewer through this world of scientists.

Maestro looked really good though, and glad that Cooper has anything but boring direction.

Maestro was probably my biggest disappointment of last year. It looks and sounds like a million bucks, and Carey Mulligan is really putting in the work, but in terms of a biopic it's almost aggressively unhelpful. Some of Bernstein's biggest/most noteworthy achievements are literally just sidelined to a single line of dialogue in the middle of the movie in order to fit in a few dozen more 'you know, I think he's a lovely husband' scenes.

I saw someone on Reddit say that it was like having a conversation with the most gorgeous person you've ever seen while you slowly realize they have nothing interesting to say, and I think that's a fair appraisal.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Even for a prestige Biopic it just looks intensely boring. I cannot muster any enthusiasm for it whatsoever.

It's worth noting that the movie is over two hours long. At a certain point I looked at the clock, certain that the movie had maybe 10 minutes left, only to discover that it still had 50.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

It's a good thing I'm late checking the thread or you'd all be watching Bikini Girls vs Dinosaurs (2014).

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I think the argument is that unless you can articulate your reasoning for something, you shouldn't express your opinion on it. You can hate something, but if you can't say why you didn't like it, your addition is completely unhelpful beyond being a passing aside.

Ultimately, I think the only really valid film critics are finding a small group of perverts identical to yourself and getting your recommendations from them. A mainstream critic doesn't do anything for me, but if a handful of the gross weirdos in the horror thread liked something, that's much more enticing to me than anything else.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Reacher is a perfect television program for dads. Like, they figured out the exact formula that would appeal to dads and then condensed it into an 'action-only' format and went with it. The writers room collectively watched Yellowstone and was like, 'This would be better if they stopped talking about ranching and just beat people up and sometimes the pretty lady got her boobs out', and an executive was like YES THAT'S WHAT WE NEED.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Reacher is a TV show about a sentient block of meat running into (and through) obstacles. The premise of the show is that the titular Reacher is in fact Very Large, and everyone else is Regular Size, and as such he can just Do Violence and the problems go away. Something bad happening to someone? Reacher throws a slab of Grade-A beef at it and then the thing dies (or is horribly crippled) and everyone cheers and the beef shimmers. God does the beef shimmer.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Reacher owns. People try and say it’s for dads, chuds, white people, but it is for everyone who likes cool things

Reacher is a good series because sometimes you just want to see a smug guy get punched in the face and Jack Reacher almost exclusively punches smug people in the face.

Sometimes he shoots them in the chest like seven times after snapping one of their limbs

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Is JR himself not also a little smug? I’ve only seen stills of the show

He's smug because he's always sitting with the knowledge that he could fold a stranger in half like a piece of paper at any minor inconvenience. And he does!

e: I made a comic to help you understand the show

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 18, 2024

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gatts posted:

I would like to see Tom Cruise Reacher meet TV Reacher and get on his shoulders to become Mega Reacher.

GO GO POWER REACHER!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

If you like that Reacher clip, I can assure you the entire show is basically that, intercut with scenes where he makes ridiculous puzzle game leaps of logic in order to solve crimes.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching Zazie dans le Metro for the first time and it's kinda wild that this movie has an extended, playful slapstick chase scene where a pedophile is chasing our young protagonist to carnival music. C'est cinéma!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm watching Memories of Murder for the first time in a decade and lol, lmao, I forgot how many people got dropkicked, running dropkicked, or roundhouse kicked in the loving face in this absolutely-not-a-martial-arts movie.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I saw High Tension opening night in a full theater and when the twist was revealed, one guy did a single loud cackle and now that's what I think of when I think of that movie.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Genuine question; does Buford T Justice hold the record for a character saying their own name the most times in a single movie?

Gotta be Groot, right?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Hasn't Scorse already made Jesus film. He making another one?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Beekeeper is maybe the most incredible movie of the year, it's like someone watched John Wick and then huffed a bunch of paint fumes and was like, 'HELL YEAH I LIKE ACTION MOVIES'. I seriously, seriously recommend watching it if you want to have an incredible time.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Both Paddington movies were January movies, IIRC?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Goddamnit I somehow got the fullscreen version of The Lighthouse. I didn’t even know they still made those.

[sad harking noises]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

If you haven't already, go check out this month's movie of the month

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053582

Yeah what MZ said, Last Black Man is very good (especially if you've spent any amount of time in San Francisco).