Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

I resolve to watch movies this year

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I watched a movie once.

Maybe twice.

I don't remember.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

*Social-Democrat blocks

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Got the Ferrari trailer as a YouTube ad over Christmas late at night after far too many drinks and thought it began with the line "we're all racist" for a few seconds.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Have you people ever considered that in Star Wars 6: Newer Hope (2015, d.p. Dan Mindel) the famous heartthrob Oscar Isaac plays Poe Dameron but in the action classic Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) Nicolas Cage née Coppola plays Cameron Poe. Dameron is a pilot and Cameron spends almost all of Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) an airplane. Furthermore Isaac also starred in Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) but the villains of Star Warses 6 through 8 is Kyle Lauren played by Adam Driver who is also Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) and sings a song with Issac where they, and boy wonder Justin Timberlake, plead to be the soon-to-be-dead President John Fitzgerald Kennedy to not send them into outer space which where Star Wars, by nature, generally take place. Additionally Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) is based on the life of folk music legend Dave Van Ronk. Ronk was of allegedly Dutch heritage. The Dutch word for "father" is Vader. Darth Vader is a space samurai in a Star War who is famously a father and Adam Drive plays his grandson and colleague.

How deep does the rabid hole go people
?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

therattle posted:

Is Godzilla minus one worth watching?

It's quite good if you're into heavy melodrama about war, loss, love, and the true meaning of family and also a giant nuclear lizard monster destroying Tokyo.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jay Rust posted:

You had me til the dinosaur 😬

understandably not everyone is into that sort of dreary social realism

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cat is Chewbacka

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wonder if the puppy blood Sammo Hung throws at the hopping vampire in Encounters of the Spooky Kind was actual puppy blood.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No it's a Andrzej movie.

Little Otik is a Jan movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

I for one was being serious. There's something you guys need to learn

Um actually the Savages established that the world is indeed square over 50 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o12efkhAXjE

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carpet posted:

And then play Pentiment if you want more monastic murder mysteries.

Pentiment is good.

Deciding who to eat lunch and dinner with is hugely important and different people will give you different information directly or indirectly.

Also you can play as just a complete dick.

One of my favorite little things in the game is that Ill Peter, the oldest man in the village who has been sick for longer than most of the other people have been alive, is still alive in the final chapter 25 years after the first one while a good quarter of the people younger than him are dead

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

weekly font posted:

My favorite part of Pentiment is that any time you try to um actually in some obscure fact your nerd rear end knows everyone in earshot tells you to shut the gently caress up.

The game provides several different ways of being a dick but this method is my favorite.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think it's some sort of code to activate a sleeper agent.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Empirical measures of movie quality
-Does someone's head explode?
-Does someone drink J&B Whiskey?
-Is there a guy in a rubber suit?
-Does it explore the human condition in a deep and thoughtful manner?
-is there a split diopter shot?
-Is there a gnarly stunt that makes you go "ouch that's gotta hurt!"?

If yes to one or more it's empirically a good film.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The list is a work in progress and open to suggestions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

How the gently caress did Highlander do a drone shot in 1986?

Helicopter presumably.

Or very fast moving crane.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For Gústi the Strong we tried to exaggerate the tallness of the actor by having him stand on an apple box whenever he was next to someone and his feet weren't in the shot. In a few shots you can see him step down from and onto boxes and suddenly change in height as he hits his mark.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Poz my shonen hole

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Peccadillo posted:

I'm gonna play Nate Silver's advocate. The political assassination of Oppenheimer was very dull. Allegory is a strong word

What was it even about? the white house science guy was mad about getting called a bitch by Bobby so tried to get him ... censured or something?

He is become death; destroyer of worlds, take the L

He thought Bobby Opp had turned Einstein against him but in reality Einstein already thought he was a bitch and was just grouchy because he and Bob Heimy were talking about how if the world ended it was basically their fault

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's just a regular day in France. Whimsical chase music is piped into all public places regularly in case a wacky pedophilic chase is happening (Which according to the French National Institute of Wacky Chases is on average three times per day)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

You know what I'm really tired of in found footage, beyond the pissing around in the beginning? Endings where they all die because they were totally outmatched by the spooky situation and they never had a chance.

In my theoretical found footage film only a side character, that was previously a talking head interview giving background on the haunting, dies but does so as he's attempting to fistfight the chrysalis of an eldritch horror.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The 2014 comedy Neighbors was released as Bad Neighbours internationally because there's a long-running Australian soap opera called Neighbours that's pretty well known in Britain and some other European countries and they were worried it could cause confusion. Margot Robbie was on Neighbours for a few years as were Kylie Minogue and Guy Pierce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBFY8vlz6L4

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He invited rust. His corrosive touch is what first created rust centuries ago.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Weird arty European guys can either be tedious or hilarious.

There is no middle ground.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We should bring back the duel so we can have a film buff version of that 17th century Italian* dude who killed or maimed 20 men in duels over whether Dante or Ariosto was a better poet but admitted on his death bed that he had read neither and just really liked duelling.

Just imagine:
A dude killing fifty men in arguments about the Snyder Cut without having seen any version of the Justice League.

*Not really Italian as Italy had yet to be invented but so Italian in spirit that it transcends the trivialities of linear history.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mojo Nixon just died.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Now we don't got Mojo Nixon and the world could use some fixin'.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My mom can't handle any form of violence in movies or TV. She'll hold her hands over her eyes for even a mild fight scene and if the baddies are hurting the good guy she'll loudly call them "bastards" for doing so. However she let me watch whatever I wanted from an early age, when I started actively seeking that sort of thing out, as long as I aware that it was all make-belief.

My favorite movies when I was 8 or 9 were Spawn and The Long Kiss Goodnight.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 8, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hollywood actors are all either from Miseryville, Iowa (population 51201 and dropping) and came to Hollywood on a Greyhound with nothing but the clothes on their back and a dream and after five years of struggling they were discovered when walking down the street because a passing casting director thought they had an interesting chin OR they're seventh generation screen actors who have not even heard of the concept of a steady job.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Finally a final version of Gústi the Strong vs The Merman (2024, dir. Me)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQu4jN05IH4

Now to waste lots of money submitting to festivals and also try to get a meeting with a production company to pitch a tv show based on it.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 14, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Your dad rocks.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It looks cool and isn't that far from Hollywood.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love The Beekeeper . Possibly the dumbest film I've ever seen.

It's like they watched John Wick and said "This is way too subtle and cerebral we need to pump this up to 11"

the film takes place over maybe three or four days in which The titular Beekeeper (Adam Clay) kills dozens, injures far more, and dismantles a several billion dollar criminal enterprise without breaking a sweat. All the while spouting really earnestly simple beekeeping metaphors. I don't think he even smiles for the entire film he's just 100% committed to bees and justice.

The bad guy is just a techbro version of Hunter Biden except his mom is Hillary Clinton and he funded her campaign by scamming old people . At one point one bad guy pleads for his life by offering Adam Clay (The Beekeeper) some rare NFTs. This does not work because Adam Clay only knows about beekeeping and murder.

Also I'm fairly sure there's some actual dummies being thrown off roofs and bridges and stairs whatnot and not just digital doubles.

Pure Cinema. Zero brains.

I hope they make many many more of these.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

Is there a movie making thread?

There's an editing/post production and a cinematography thread in Creative Convention.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Down under they call lesbians "Sapphos"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I showed Dusk till Dawn to my nephew* once. I just said it was a crime film. When the vampires showed up he literally stood up and said "dude, what the gently caress... what the gently caress, dude... wait, what the gently caress?". He loved it. Now he's a medical doctor and I choose to believe there's a direct connection between those events.

*Who because my family is weird is only two years younger than me.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Both my siblings have grandchildren.

I'm 33.

My mother has two great grandchildren. She's 70.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guilty pleasure for normal people:
Something slightly camp or silly

Guilty pleasure for me:
The works of fascist authors who would 100% shoot me as a degenerate, communist , and genetic defect if given even the slightest chance. (Yukio Mishima, Death in June, all of Norwegian black metal. 40% of country music, also RRR)

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The key to Mishima is to read it as a literary version of Tom of Finland.

E:
Except with a lot more glorification of suicide. Obviously.

Also Tom of Finland was a literal Nazi collaborator.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 26, 2024