Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Highlander 2 is fascinating though. You at least have to give them credit for doing something totally different. I don’t think I’ve seen the theatrical cut which is supposed to be far more incoherent than the director’s cut, but even the “Renegade Version” is insane.

Also I totally forgot it’s set in 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Criterion Channel continues to be the best streaming service. I’ve been sort of wanting to see Showgirls since it’s gotten a bit more discussion recently with the 4K release. Lo and behold, Criterion is adding a “Razzies” collection this month with that and some other notable bombs (Ishtar, Heaven’s Gate, Barbed Wire, Freddy Got Fingered, etc).

And to think, at one point I thought this service only streamed Criterion Collection movies…

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Grendels Dad posted:

I had to pause Newhouse at the 1-hour mark just a bit after McGregor's introduction. I don't know him except from headlines, and found him a bit annoying. It's like he got one bit of direction and that read "SWAGGER" and by god, he swaggers all over the place.

I don’t think that’s direction. He’s insufferable in real life too. Bought into his own hype years ago and turned into a caricature of himself. His brain is probably 90% cocaine at this point

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like I should probably watch a Yorgos Lanthimos film at some point. All of the trailers I've seen of his stuff make me intensely uncomfortable though.

just wait until you see the movies

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Monkey Man was fun although it could stand to be trimmed down a bit (the “rebuilding section” was too long).

I couldn’t tell if the safe in Queen’s office was a loose thread or a red herring although I’m leaning towards the latter. I thought Bobby was going to pull off a slick con or something but nope he charges ahead with an insanely half-baked attack at the first opportunity that doesn’t accomplish anything. Somewhat refreshing to see an action protagonist who’s just… not very good (at least at the beginning). A bit reminiscent of Blue Ruin in that regard although that movie is a million times more grounded than this hyperreality.

Biggest laugh was try to escape through the window and just painfully bouncing off the safety glass.

The movie doesn’t tread a whole lot of new ground outside of the cast and location but honestly that’s enough.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I may have intentionally watched some long movie in multiple parts but most often it’s because I’m dozing off so I just stop it and turn off the TV before I actually fall asleep (my dad would fall asleep with the TV blasting and I always hated that). This last weekend it was Rodan which isn’t exactly the most exciting kaiju movie ever made

Last year I did unintentionally watch all of the animated Transformers movie on YouTube spread out over like a week; did not plan on watching all of it when I started though

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love that it's TCL, the cheapest TV brand imaginable.

I was about to say that Walmart bought them for their streaming channel but that was Vizio. Do all these cheap-rear end TV brands have their own streaming channels?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dessel posted:

I should watch the actual [Miami Vice] series though, I just caught some glimpses of it in the 00's and 90's when I was a kid.

Beware that it’s from a different era of 20+ episode seasons with some shameless filler.

I watched up until he gets the Testarossa in the first few episodes of S3 and feel quite happy to leave it there. There was a radical wardrobe change in S3 where the pastels were out and these hideous dull greens & yellows were in. That’s a problem when so much substance of the show was the style.

Some banger episodes in the first two seasons although it takes a few episodes to really hit its stride and there are weak spots along the way. I’ve heard it gets really goofy in the later seasons (I think there’s aliens in one episode?) so I decided to stop when I felt a decline. The Testarossa introduction felt very sponsored; Ferrari was apparently peeved about the kit-car fake they used in the first two seasons so they gave them a few of their hot new model as blatant product placement.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Disco Pope posted:

The Salute of the Jugger is one I don't hear discussed much.

AKA The Blood of Heroes. Not many post apocalyptic sports movies out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

I’m trying to think of a movie featuring no scenes of anyone eating or laboring and nothing springs to mind.

Cube