Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If only there was some way to rent blurrays! Perhaps a convenient website where they'd send you the disc along with return packaging?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Umm, is... is there?

I thought the only places to rent physical discs now are:
  • the municipal public library, which, actually might have some cool stuff so check it out
  • your aunt who started a collection and is deep into sunken costs by this point in time
  • a nerdy neighbour who groans about the lack of bonus features on Netflix, which he is right about but all he has are the Marvel films
  • that Facebook swap group that's actually a front for cult/MLM recruitment

I was joking about how it used to be something that was easy and cheap, but no longer is.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Have you people ever considered that in Star Wars 6: Newer Hope (2015, d.p. Dan Mindel) the famous heartthrob Oscar Isaac plays Poe Dameron but in the action classic Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) Nicolas Cage née Coppola plays Cameron Poe. Dameron is a pilot and Cameron spends almost all of Con Air (1997, d.p. David Tattersall) an airplane. Furthermore Isaac also starred in Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) but the villains of Star Warses 6 through 8 is Kyle Lauren played by Adam Driver who is also Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) and sings a song with Issac where they, and boy wonder Justin Timberlake, plead to be the soon-to-be-dead President John Fitzgerald Kennedy to not send them into outer space which where Star Wars, by nature, generally take place. Additionally Inside Llewyn Davis (2013, d.p. Bruno Delbonnel) is based on the life of folk music legend Dave Van Ronk. Ronk was of allegedly Dutch heritage. The Dutch word for "father" is Vader. Darth Vader is a space samurai in a Star War who is famously a father and Adam Drive plays his grandson and colleague.

How deep does the rabid hole go people
?

lol but I also didn't know about the full extent of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppola_family. wtf

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

If no one has done a thread by tomorrow I'll make one.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

As a reminder I'm letting distortion park claim the Jan thread

Motm thread here! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4051425&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post537043107

e: lol forgot to pick a tag, oh well.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody see any good movies lately?

I enjoyed The Rainmaker, a perfectly functional Grisham adaption. Francis Ford Coppola directed it!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

He's a great choice for the role too as many viewers (including me) will go on with (unconscious) expectations about the kind of character Di Caprio plays. And then you get to see and feel those expectations unravelled which makes the film all the more shocking

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

He's smug because he's always sitting with the knowledge that he could fold a stranger in half like a piece of paper at any minor inconvenience. And he does!

e: I made a comic to help you understand the show

Just watched the first two episodes and this comic is 100% accurate

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

Anyone watching Sexy Beast (2024) the Paramount+ prequel series to Jonathan Glazer’s Sexy Beast (2000)?

I watched Sexy Beast (2000) the other day as they had just added it (presumably to drum up interest for the new series). Kind of a weird film to spin off a prequel series from but I guess the characters do have a lot of history to work with. I'll try it unless someone says it's trash (how can it not be?).

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Only a couple of days left in January, catch the current MOTM while it's hot!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Blank Check paywalled episode on new moon has the director as a guest and is actually really interesting. He obviously came to the movie in really good faith which would be easy not to do.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This is probably it but lots of the songs from Josie and the Pussycats also have a good claim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwykvrwvWW4

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

How old can your actors get before you recast them for a prologue scene where they're in high school? According to the producers of Love at Second Sight/Mon Inconnue the answer is at least "late 30s"

Their deaging technology for this guy is limited to shaving his beard

distortion park fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 11, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

I have a dumb idiot brain.

Can someone explain to me what the message of Poor Things is?

That we should be putting more money into human/goat brain transplantation research

There's a Poor Things thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051007&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't understand the sentiment on this forum that it's going to be bad. Trailer looks sick.

it could well be bad anyway, but the idea that the director of Men and Annihilation is going to be completely unaware of the political valences of a film about an american civil war and not making intentional decisions about which ones to play up to is kinda implausible

distortion park fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Mar 15, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I gotta say, Netflix trying to play big on anime loving sucks rear end because whatever they do for their subtitles just doesn’t work. They can only show one subtitle onscreen at a time, which means if a character’s talking while important Japanese text is on the screen (like, say, Stone Ocean episode names or in the big Seele office with the pendulum), you just won’t get that translation. They’ve paid big bucks on anime, getting exclusives from Trigger and the worldwide streaming rights to Jojo and Eva have got to be expensive, but their service just isn’t built for it.

Streaming service subs suck in general. One non-us regions they'll have one or maybe two subtitle tracks per film, and sometimes forced dubs. They must have the original audio and subs for loads of languages, why do they restrict them so much?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Read the book if you haven't. I enjoyed the movie but the book is worth reading.

I found the opening/closing story unreadable but the rest of it was 5/5 brilliance

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Saw Cabaret ages ago, if it weren't for Little Shop of Horrors it would be my favorite musical. Recall the movie being great but I'm more partial to the show done on the stage - in particular the 90's run with Alan Cumming as the Emcee -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW5eFCFnW9c. Personally really like their take that Sally isn't that great an actual performer. Jane Horrocks rendition of 'Life is a Cabaret' is incredibly uncomfortable in the best ways.

At around 58 seconds he makes exactly the same face as Chalomet does sometimes

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

is this just michael mann doing some preproduction for Heat 2??? https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-04-06/30-million-theft-from-l-a-vault-was-seemless-sophisticated-daring

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carpet posted:

RUN, don't walk to see Challengers, it hits the back of the net with a slam dunk of a film. Luca Guagdanino has really scored a hat trick with his latest heavyweight of a movie.

Teeing up to watch this later today!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just saw Challengers, it's good. Final 5 minutes is top tier.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is it generally accepted that Luca Guadaginio has a thing for eating and mouths and stuff?

I don't think the two guys eating each others churros was an accident!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Was browsing a book of political anecdotes and am sort of stunned there hasn't been a recent adaptation of Benjamin Disraeli's and/or Gladstone's lives. I mean read this: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Disraeli-Gladstone-Great-Rivalry-Debates/

Which doesn't even get into the weird quartet Disraeli was involved in with a husband and wife + another married woman. Or that he then wrote a bunch of novels about one of them. He was witty but his politics were evil - Gladstone, one of his main political rivals, was from a slave owning family but would eventually at least partially repudiate slavery, and had his own hangups.

I mean check the beginning of this piece on Gladstone:

And this from (one of?) Disraeli's mistresses to him

I feel like there's a lot for someone talented to work with! I found this which I'll watch if it's somewhere but suspect it's pretty bad given the topics and the production year.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Junk Head features possibly cancerous foodstuff.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Quick, get De Palma to run a load of filmmaking workshops while he's still alive

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

therattle posted:

It depends on how that’s defined. A kiss could qualify, for instance (don’t know if it does, but it might).

How about eating Churros?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Honestly between podracing, that scene, and the rolling droids with shields there's a lot to be said for episode 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Also - don't watch it via Amazon Prime as the subtitles are hosed. (They don't subtitle the non-English dialogue.) At first I thought it was a stylistic choice until it literally made no sense later. Watched it via a different streaming platform and everything was good.

This sort of thing happens all the time on the streaming platforms. There are a bunch of apologists on Reddit saying it's actually the distributers fault or something but it's clearly the streamers not bothering to ensure they're buying and releasing a complete piece of media.