Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Parker Posey is the greatest Actress in history, anyone who disagrees can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

So good in Beau

Needs to be a best bit player Oscar to recognize her role in that film. Every second she is on screen is loving hilarious and tragic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They took the Redbox out of the local gas station and Hyvee, I would have to go to a loving Walgreens if I wanted to check out a film.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Look in the mirror. You are doing a lot of castigation for someone who is implying others hold the general mass in contempt.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's literally every Micheal Mann movie

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The counter point being that most Mann protagonists don't or at least don't feel they have a choice to not do what they are doing.

Frank in Thief just wants a normal family, Wife a Kid trips to the beach and cookouts and all that promised by the American dream but because of the abusive upbringing he was served in his youth and his time entombed in prison his avenue form legitimate living is cut off, as is his chances at things such as adoption. Crime is not a way of life for Frank, it is a way of making a life, but it is also the destruction of the very life he wants because his pride in his work and his inability to accept the inherent imbalance in the capitalist underworld tilts towards the management and not the people putting their necks out.

Neil in HEAT as well is looking for a sense of security after the ruinous existence that has preceded the film, something only accomplishable using crime given the taboo on employing him regularly as seen in Haybert's character. However the code that he has adopted that makes him impervious to the tendency towards destruction is incompatible with the life he would like to live. Love and Leaving are diametrically opposed, and when he chooses that he Loves Eady he is also giving up on his chance to leave because that same passion that courses through him for her is coursing through him inducing revenge against Waingro.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Data Graham posted:

This bodes well for when we finally get Ferrari on stream
There is nuance though. Ferrari for example is about one man immolating his relationships and life in order to win a race. But his company is also the pride of Italy, it's easy to look at a company and scoff, but in an Italy suffering from the deprivation and destruction of WWII it's a cause for hope and happiness to see that an Italian can rise from the ashes of the war and compete at the same level as American and British brands.

You can say the same for Manhunter. Graham might destroy his life, but he does save the young blind lady and the future victims of the Blakeaphile.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are so many Ripley films and they are all better. We need fennel out of Hollywood yesterday

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

josh04 posted:

I know the twitter meme is that Fennell is super conceited or whatever (a conceited film director, mais non) but it reads the opposite to me. Like a crisis of confidence in the audience's ability to follow along, and let subsequent events inform previous ones. The whole life support scene is totally lifeless compared to the rest of the film, if it was a Marvel movie. I'd be pointing at the screen and yelling 'reshoot'.

I don't think the two are conflicted. fennel thinks her material is better than it actually is and she doesn't believe that audiences can appreciate her "brilliance".

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bane's voice is one of the greatest gifts cinema has ever given us, but I'm giving that w to Hardy not to Nolan.

It's funny seeing people talk about Clockwatchers like it's Office Space when it's really Schrader's Blue Collar for white collar women.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

From what I remember This Side of Paradise sold well but got reamed by the critics causing Fitz to try to come out swinging with his next book, The Beautiful and the Damned. The only work of his I've read, and a decent work but one that is incredibly obvious. The work is about a lazy, inherited wealth lad falling into love and ruin with a woman, in the second chapter he lays around reading Sentimental Education, a vastly superior work with near identical themes. The whole thing is like that
People didn't like that one, now it's a sort of iykyk work that some consider pretty good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think Boy and Heron predicts the end of Ghibli considering Miyazaki is easily the least talented director in their stable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Even for a prestige Biopic it just looks intensely boring. I cannot muster any enthusiasm for it whatsoever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Irishman does that, basically

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of Parker Posey. She's cast in the next season of White Lotus

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hearing people talk about Wonka sounds identical to listening to people talk about Skibidi Toilet Lore

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jacking off to a film is passé, edging is where it's at.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Saw The Yards the other night. Feels like Joaquin and Wahlburg should've switched roles, it's a bit odd to see Phoenix as a braggadocios young thug and Wahlburger as the kid who can't seem to set his life straight. Good film though, Grey's gotta get his due one of these days.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

More like Zone of no Interest in screening it anywhere near me!! :argh:

For real

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly it was better than either Godfather

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Some people desperately need to engage with the more analytic and critical sides of their brains.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Bad acting is when it's Incongruous with the established setting, tone, other actors, or previous scenes. Of course sometimes this is used to effect.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Right, and I know that the criteria I try to use are things like:

Writing: All plot elements are neatly tied up, bonus points for intricate callbacks and subplot resolutions, and every scene feels like it has a specific purpose to the story; Pixar stuff or Gone Girl or etc, whereas Hateful Eight makes me feel unfulfilled because the resolving elements were introduced right at the end, but then again it does explain things nicely so who am I to argue
The "Story" is not the end all be all in any work. The emotional tone one can convey in a scene or even just the pure visual splendor can be just as moving or impactful. James Caan or DeNiro staring out at the sea moves nothing along but is utterly necessary to the understanding the viewer has with the character.

quote:

Acting: It feels like a feat; like pulling something off like the Trial of Tim Heidecker makes me sit up and clap but I couldn't begin to tell you what makes Cillian Murphy deserving of a Best Actor, but you know he'll win
Judging a performance by how big it is is discarding every single other tone that an actor can convey except the highest, it's like judging a song by how boosted the Bass is.

I think you need to try harder to engage with why other people find certain performances or scenes moving rather than try to dismiss it as simply other opinions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

the most boring thing in the world to me is talking about a movie i liked with a friend, and i'll explain what i liked and why i liked it, and they're just like "yeah idk i thought it was cool"

like OKAY good talk man.

it always winds up being the type of person who never really dislikes anything or has a strong opinion about anything. like nothing is "bad" to them. the spectrum is either "it was alright" (meaning bad) or "i thought it was cool" (meaning good/great/amazing/who the gently caress knows)

ShoogaSlim posted:

the most boring thing in the world to me is talking about a movie i liked with a friend, and i'll explain what i liked and why i liked it, and they're just like "yeah idk i thought it was cool"

like OKAY good talk man.

it always winds up being the type of person who never really dislikes anything or has a strong opinion about anything. like nothing is "bad" to them. the spectrum is either "it was alright" (meaning bad) or "i thought it was cool" (meaning good/great/amazing/who the gently caress knows)

There are certain types of people whom consider not rocking the boat more important than portraying any contradictory opinions, and they've so ingrained the idea into their psyche that they become unable to actually watch a film. Rather what they do is watch the series of images flash before their eyes and judge each in turn against how the "public" or the "group" will view them. It's a rather dull set of people, and quite annoying to hear talk.

The worst things about the modern world is the psuedodemocraticazation of art, the rise of geek culture, and poptimism which has lead to a morass of people whom have deeply held belief that all art is equal but lacking the actual experience in the deeper ends of art have zero vocabulary, skill, or will to engage with anything outside their narrow comfort zones. Watching or reading and considering the great works is invaluable for rounding out your own opinions, comparing and contrasting why you react to one thing or lash out at another, it gives you ineffably a better ability to dissect and diagnose your own experience with art. People who watch nothing but trash cannot even understand why people deride their experience because they lack basic literacy. When a bunch of Marvelite simpletons rail against Scorsese they aren't doing it in an ironic fashion, they fully believe that whatever slop they watch is actually equal to Taxi Driver or KOTFM, they literally cannot understand that art can be more than a series of tropes, quotes, and flashing images. It's sad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And you know what, at least we still have it better than in Literature where the lunatics have been running the asylum for decades.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm willing to bet a lot of birds died in The Birds

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The biggest problem with Reacher is that the titular character is not large enough.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It felt self important in the same way the worst parts of BCS did. Almost all the big prestige series, barring the Sopranos, did at some point but it felt more egregious with Barry

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

BCS had a flawless ending even if they stole it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People should really consider how they're spending their time when embarking on a One Piece or Naruto sized series. Is that truly what you wish to use your limited time on Earth on?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

LotR is three paperbacks long.

Forget it, they're lost in their delusions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

McCloud posted:

I've been curious about one piece, especially after I saw the live action series that was actually pretty good, but I just can't get over how...anime it is, for a lack of better term. The kind of lame slapstick humor, the extremely overexaggerated expressions at said slapstick, the way it always pans to reaction shots everytime someone does something even mildly impressive...
It's like it doesn't trust the audience to know what emotion they're supposed to be feeling at any given time so the anime heavily emotes so you're sure how to react. It's like those "applaud" signs with sitcoms with a live studio audience.

It's for children

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just watch Utena and Tatami Galaxy. Those are peak

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The movie would have been better if they'd ditched the bomb poo poo and only been Strauss vs. Opie

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Abel Gance Napoléon. It's the best movie on the man out there

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the parts where they were dying en masse, not so much the rest. Never forget Wellington did live long enough to see the Empire restored under Napoleon III.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049769&pagenumber=6&perpage=40

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Post Silence Garfield looks a lot older than pre

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress The Grifters, I coulda watched House of Games, I shoulda. Ruined my night. Don't watch that trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would call it an Anjelica Huston movie, but yes. Absolutely dreadful.