Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I've been watching "Post Mortem: no one dies in Skarse" and its pretty good. Why is Scandinavian vampire stuff so cool, Let the Right One In was one of my favourite books as a teen and the movie was great

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Saltburn was terrible. Three or four of the goofiest sex scenes of all time and for a denouement of "no poo poo"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This all makes Saltburn sound like a worse version of Society (1989, d.p. Rick Fichter).

Way worse

E: the closing scene song got stuck in my head, I hadn't heard that song since I was like twelve at a school dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAx6mYeC6pY

The song and video is a better told same story

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 4, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I saw the Pixies once at a festival and Kim Deal lit a smoke mid set and the crowd went wild. I didn't know that was a signature of hers but apparently it is

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

ruddiger posted:

I saw the pixies live and Frank had to take a break midset to catch his breath, dude looked like he just ran a marathon.

Gotta respect a fat punk boy goin' hard

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

drat. My Christmas present from my mum arrived and it's the Mr Bungle Tractor Ate My Balls Again t shirt Mike Patton wore in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg

I used to wear it all the time as a teenager and then lent it to somebody because she had a crush on the bass player of a band and wanted him to think she was cool. Never gave it back. She got laid though so ce la vie

When I got it it was like twenty bucks mass produced on Mike Patton's record label website but now it's an expensive mess to find a good one, I been told. By my mother

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 5, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Post Mortem: No one Dies in Skarnes has a weird b-story, where the vampire's brother is going to lose his house and business as a mortician, and he has to cough up thirty thousand kroner to get a defferal on his payments. I looked it up and that's like two grand USD. Weirdly low stakes. He does organised crime about it

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I liked the Machine. It's a pretty bad comedian's vanity project but it understands the main character is a venal loving idiot making a movie about his viral stand up bit, and makes fun of him, and Bert Kreischer is a pretty funny actor

It's also gorgeous and made well for some reason

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 7, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Are you an autistic proctologigist?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I had the novelisation of the bob hoskins Super Mario Bros movie I found at a second hand bookshop once, but I lost it long ago

I don't think I ever actually read it I think I just got it because that's a funny tchotchke

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 7, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Hilarious.

The best short film of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moi6CTYC1hY

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

duz posted:

One of the Criterion Channel's themes this month is cat movies. So I finally got to see this movie
https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1454923880339066884

It was very interesting. A lot more dancing than one would expect.
Good cat acting.

For anyone curious we found it on youtube last time it came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITX8Id7tgs

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 10, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Finally saw Barbarian. They say that comedy and horror is extremely interlinked but I still don't get that Get Out and Barbarian are fantastic and made by dudes from key & peele and Whitest Kids u Know

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 10, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Sir Kodiak posted:

Poor Things was a lot of fun. Beautiful and frequently funny.

Saltburn felt like a complete waste. A bunch of strong performances that don't seem to add up to much.

Ey haven't you ever wanted to do a sex crime to a bathtub drain and go way worse? Who amongst us

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This movie is a ton of fun, thank you!

I think I'm a sucker for a movie that nails something visual. The lady in a red bodysuit on a swing petting a cat wearing sunglasses is *perfect*. It's a sight that sings. I'm not academic enough to write why it works so much better than, to make an unfair comparison: Taylor Swift in CATS singing on a half moon, but it makes me want to fist bump the director and go "you did it, this is iconic". Other examples would be the Fury Road's fleet or Babett's Feast's feast.

Colorizing is less perfect but it's done to well enough effect that it made me smile too.

Cat rocks.

I don't think you have to be a nerd to differentiate something that looks cool as hell and something similar that looks kinda dumb. It's straight up a thumbs up thumbs down deal. Easy

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Arts pretty fuckin' easy and fun anyone that tells you otherwise is probably bad at it and should be told off

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Appreciation I mean. I missed meals as a teen for music that went nowhere. Making art is pretty difficult. Looking at it you got it

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

agree with this but there's been a surprising amount of people i've interacted with in my life who can't articulate WHY something is a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

That defeats the premise. Who gives a gently caress I'm not your proctor

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Just be honest, people try too hard

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Wait I kinda get the bad summary critique. I remember talking to someone and I mentioned I just saw Nce Guys and they said I saw that too, it sucked nothing happened. And I didn't understand. The movie happened. It wasn't good, it was cute but a ton of stuff happened.That's just not somebody I'm gonna talk movies with we're not on the same page 'bout it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 11, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That could be true of either me or her and hell, God'll sort it out

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Still a bit goofy on painkillers gonna go to sleep but leavin' the first movie. Not a good movie but Ned Kelly was a cool guy. No one knows who directed it because a director credit weren't invented yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkUl64CsTQ

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

a movie is bad when it sucks, and it is good when it kicks rear end

That is a film proffesor right there

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 12, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I like Zizek because he's a weird slob with psychosexual thoughts, and that's fun. A nerd who is sponsored by Skillsshare or Nebulon or something not so good a use of time. Watch a movie instead!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYuI4SFw4g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBcFLmu_tlc

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 12, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I’d rather make art than talk about it tbh. It’s more fun and rewarding.

Right? If you want to hear about it they gotta have a weirdness or it's boring

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

One of the best things I ever heard was on a legal podcast making fun of Milo Yionopolis, after he got his book pulped by Simon and Shuster and tried to defend himself. One of the hosts said "you don't have to be a genius to do this but you kind of have to do this to do this". And it's some good words. The best musician I ever met was dunce cap fuckin' dim but he played the mountain dulcimer like a beautiful sweety

Thought I was smart but I don't even know how to put a dulcimer in place let alone how to make beautiful music on it

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 12, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I was gonna see this bluegrass guy and my girlfriend was super insistent that she tag along, and I was like "you wont like it a dork is gonna play Cripple Creek on the banjo or something and the crowd is gonna go wild and you'll be like "the gently caress is this""

Exactly that happened

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

Yeah see I respect TBaTH, even though I hate it, and I can’t deny it was made with passion and meaning even if I feel like that passion and meaning was extremely poorly done.

Regardless I think you kind of captured my central frustration with the first act; I mean, I work at a movie theater so I saw the trailer literally dozens of times before I saw the movie but even removed from that I don’t think there’s a world where I don’t think Mahito goes through the tunnel. I think the cinematic language the movie was using was pulling Mahito further and further into the Heron’s (and by extension, the dreamworld’s as a whole) orbit, so it really felt like just a lot of wasting time that both 1) made for a movie that was just way too long in general and 2) ended up with really underdeveloped tertiary characters.

To me TbaTH is a more inscrutable and longer and much less effectively done Spirited Away in virtually every way, from basic premises being90s near-copies of each other, to plot beats, to main character archetypes, to resolution, to ending, it’s just Spirited Away did it better in basically every conceivable way and in a shorter time that flowed better and with no random throwing of the narrative brakes so a character could just tell the audience what’s going on every thirty minutes or so. Like, Chihiro is working at the bathhouse within 15 minutes of the movie’s start, which both makes the movie get into its meat much better and also gives you an actual understanding of who people like Noh, Haku, Boh and so on are, in contrast to Mahito meeting basically everyone in his supporting cast like 15 minutes before the movie’s end.

I know I've lost this fight against initialising stuff. People think its okay and hell let a thousand flowers bloom. I'm gonna imagine a non-existant movie title whenever I see something like "TBaTH" and enjoy that instead of feeling mad for no real purpose

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't he the guy who spots the period stain on Jonah Hills pants?

The actor who period stained him, Jen Kirkman, accidentally started #metoo. Fun ... ish fact

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

That’s Carla gallo. I don’t think Jen kirkman is in Superbad

Yeh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3S0h3yzueE

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

I'd believe Michael Shannon is 67 years old if you told me.

Bug is one of my favourite movies. Him and Ashley Judd in a hotel room goin' nuts

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

an egg posted:

and then the beef shimmers

What a pretty thing to say

This is a pretty good rral-time found footage doc about 9/11. Though I don't think I'd ever actually seen the suicides before, and it has a pretty long clip of person after person diving out, which was kinda a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx8_Pumdkpg

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

One cool thing about Banshee is that Anthony Starr got too into the fight scenes with the stunt people, and really went into it and leant into a pulled punch on a really early shoot, broke himself a jaw. And it worked. Turned the character into a mush mouth with an overbite. Underbite? Whichever one makes your lower jaw too long

And he's pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Jk0E4alrY

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 18, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I'm sure I watched all of Barry but I don't remember there being four whole seasons. I must have forgotten a bunch. Good excuse to rewatch it

Also Reacher is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_T4Tnis8Hs

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Nothing escapes Reachers swole attention gland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypHMMcuAyR0

So much so that it's kind of a contrivance that he didn't notice the guy had parked in some particular way that meant he must be with the NYPD or something

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Also he did a torture to a guy where he filled his catheter with air, to gently caress his bladder up

I gotta assume they took it from this story where that happened by malpractice. No one's ever thought to do that on purpose

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/oct/24/former-socceroo-steve-herczeg-died-after-catheter-connected-to-oxygen-coroner-told

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Fellas does Reacher season 2 suck

It's definitely worse but I'm havin' a good time. His sidekicks are all also basically Reachers so he's not so much this alien catalytic force of justice that he was in the first one where all these stuffy rubes are trying to play it by the book and have to learn how to do things The Cool Way

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 19, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Bizarre needle drops, too, which is always fun

Reacher is like a savant about blues but they end episodes with talking heads and soul coughing. The music guy they got is the most Gen x dude ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I finally filled out a grid on moviegrid.io. I'm way worse at this game than I thought I'd be