Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

first ever cinema discusso movie of the year thread is signed and sealed.

top 15 movies posted starting on page 3 here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av3K-PEEF1c

this one doesn't look half bad

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

therattle posted:

Sheeeeit, didn’t realise it was going to close. I intended to post my list. Guess that train has sailed.

post in the thread anyway, i would love to see your list

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently the Mickey horror game is being made by right wing nuts, the 88 in the title should’ve been a tip-off. Deleted

https://www.ign.com/articles/mickey-mouse-horror-game-devs-respond-to-neo-nazi-and-ai-claims

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

You can’t just let Nazis co-opt a number lmao. That’s fuckin stupid

the reason nobody can portray traditional swastikas, which are positive symbols, is because everyone is too afraid to have it misunderstood for the co-opted nazi symbol. and people are only afraid to have it misunderstood bc other people are so quick to claim something is nazi-coded. it's a vicious, stupid cycle.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

make one and ill post in it

whether you do or not, one thing i missed when seeing it (probably because i was laughing too hard along with everyone else in the theater) was why willem dafoe's character was burping up those bubbles. it happens a few times and i was confused every time even tho it was always funny

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Past Lives is not free on streaming yet

Has anyone seen it yet. It it worth buying on Blu-ray blind

late reply to this but yes it's good and worth a watch

it was 3rd place in the movie of the year thread that i will keep posting about until people are sick of seeing it brought up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049769&pagenumber=4&perpage=40

and then i'll keep posting about it even a little after that too

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Bright Bart posted:

Autistic? People close to me have recommended I get tested (specifically for Asperger's when that was a distinct diagnosis) but the joke is on them: I have, several times, since I was in elementary school. And the result is that I have papers to show I'm not which I can bring out when the topic comes up (which I admit is an extremely suspicious thing to do).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWc8JKVm28E

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

NieR Occomata posted:

I watched The Zone of Interest.

it's really good

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't think you have to be a nerd to differentiate something that looks cool as hell and something similar that looks kinda dumb. It's straight up a thumbs up thumbs down deal. Easy

agree with this but there's been a surprising amount of people i've interacted with in my life who can't articulate WHY something is a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Peccadillo posted:

That defeats the premise. Who gives a gently caress I'm not your proctor

The Peccadillo posted:

Just be honest, people try too hard

The Peccadillo posted:

Wait I kinda get the bad summary critique. I remember talking to someone and I mentioned I just saw Nce Guys and they said I saw that too, it sucked nothing happened. And I didn't understand. The movie happened. It wasn't good, it was cute but a ton of stuff happened.That's just not somebody I'm gonna talk movies with we're not on the same page 'bout it

i legitimately have no idea what the hell you're trying to say

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

the most boring thing in the world to me is talking about a movie i liked with a friend, and i'll explain what i liked and why i liked it, and they're just like "yeah idk i thought it was cool"

like OKAY good talk man.

it always winds up being the type of person who never really dislikes anything or has a strong opinion about anything. like nothing is "bad" to them. the spectrum is either "it was alright" (meaning bad) or "i thought it was cool" (meaning good/great/amazing/who the gently caress knows)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i mean totally. i don't talk about most of my passionate interests with most of the people i know bc most people are pretty surface-level-brained about most things in life. which is fine for them, i guess, but not my vibe.

why do you think i post here? which just makes it weirder, though, when a forums poster is like "so what don't think movie is good or bad nothing matters!"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

one of my favorite video essays by my favorite movie youtuber ever came out at the beginning of last year, and i think anyone curious about figuring out how to better understand their own inner vision around films as art would be doing themselves a massive favor by giving it a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahHIifcFyqk

on the topic of "big" vs "small" acting performances, another great film youtuber has a few videos about nuanced acting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0mEHhkQRq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eanvN_rNpqY

Gaius Marius posted:

There are certain types of people whom consider not rocking the boat more important than portraying any contradictory opinions, and they've so ingrained the idea into their psyche that they become unable to actually watch a film. Rather what they do is watch the series of images flash before their eyes and judge each in turn against how the "public" or the "group" will view them. It's a rather dull set of people, and quite annoying to hear talk.

in my opinion, based on my interactions with "film normies" it's the opposite. they have no concept of the zeitgeist surrounding movies, which you could say helps them be more unbiased, but actually robs them of having any real understanding of movies as art at all. so it seems like watching a movie is like fulfilling an urge for a midnight snack. it either satisfies or it only just gets the job done. if they feel like watching a movie and it's mediocre, they still saw something moving in front of their eyes for 90-120 minutes. if it was good and it titillated their basic senses, then even better.

this is why marvel is/was(?) dominating the box office. this is why my friend gave wonka 5 stars on letterboxd and the green knight 1 star.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i'll back you up on the boy and the heron hate. i was so extremely and utterly disappointed by it, and it really does feel to me like people only enjoy it because of what the subtext implies about the creator's artistic journey. as far as i'm concerned, there isn't enough substance within the context of the film itself to carry it.

but hey... idk

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gripweed posted:

How the gently caress did Highlander do a drone shot in 1986?

they used the same drone from the shining in 1980

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

I do think the swing Barry took in the second half of that final season was overall a misstep but the last two episodes were still really good and I respect the ambition. The other three seasons are amazing throughout though

Gaius Marius posted:

It felt self important in the same way the worst parts of BCS did. Almost all the big prestige series, barring the Sopranos, did at some point but it felt more egregious with Barry

can y'all lightly spoil what you're describing? i watched s1 of Barry and it was fine. i might keep going but im intrigued by this. i loved BCS and think it did nothing wrong. sopranos was good too and i dig curveball it threw in the last season

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

I really enjoyed season 1, but felt totally satisfied at the end of it.

my problem with most tv. it just drags on and on with a premise that was already wrapped up in a single season.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

reacher?? more like reach'er that remote and change the drat channel amirite

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

marriage story

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

therattle posted:

Oh yeah! Haven’t checked but that feels right.

The Peccadillo posted:

Yeah. Never saw it, forgot it existed

i liked it :3: i like noah baumbach's style of writing, and it was nice to see the two leads in something not disney related

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

quantumania was the last straw for me. can't do it anymore. i didn't bother going to see thor 4 in theaters but hate watched it at home and it was terrible. most of the shows are trash but i was actually excited for kang and thought he was an interesting inclusion in loki bc we finally had a big bad and something to maybe tie all of these disparate movies together again. turns out his theatrical debut was a wet fart and now he's in legal trouble so he'll probably get axed and disney will have even more of a cohesion mess on their hands.

if you haven't seen it already, watch the dungeons and dragons movie from last year. i think it nails a post-marvel silly fantasy action blockbuster that borrows from and improves on the formula that made marvel great at one point without the baggage of the current state of the mcu.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I mean, the secret is that it's actually Shared Universe fatigue. If you're like me and stopped watching these series when the wheels began spinning (i.e. almost immediately), the genuine shlock nonsense of an Aquaman 2 is a lot more palatable.

when every movie that came out was interconnected to the plot of thanos and his big evil scheme, i could at least be on board with the episodic nature of the movies feeling like big screen prestige tv shows leading to a finale.

now, all the movies talk about having a unifying thread, but they're all just empty one-offs that hint at a multiverse but do the absolute least interesting things with the idea and none of these movies tie into each other at all, so what's the point of keeping up with it all?

i never gave much of a poo poo about the dc movies anyway, but knowing that aquaman 2 wasn't tied to anything going forward was even more of a reason to not bother.

and lastly, even tho i didn't/won't see it, the flash/keaton batman movie gets torn apart by all the movie youtubers i watch, but i kinda dig the idea of how they treat the shared universe concept at the end where there's big "globes" or whatever that have all the different universes where different actors play superman and the ones that never actually got movies like nic cage. maybe in practice it was way more ridiculous and bad but in theory i think that's at least an interesting way to handle it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

just saw past lives again in a theater where celine song did a q&a after. i enjoyed it the first time, but i absolutely loved it this second time. and hearing song talk about it with so much passion and joy and playfulness was a delight.

im an old cranky tired bitch and i forgot the showing was tonight and almost didn't bother going but im so glad i did. a billion out of ten experience. some of my friends gave it a 2 on letterboxd and they're just objectively wrong wtf

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

about to fire up Pan's Labyrinth for the first time maybe since it came out in theaters.

i'm watching the criterion disc, and there's an option to play an intro by Guillermo del Toro and it's just this like 2 minute thing where he sits in front of a red velvet backdrop saying how he lost 45 lbs making this movie and it almost destroyed and killed him and he hopes you enjoy it!

what the hell was the point of that lol it almost makes me bummed to watch it now.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

there hasn't been a good marvel movie since the ones with thanos fyi

even the last one was just a theater spectacle i wouldn't bother watching again at home

im slightly curious about deadpool and wolverine but deep down im pretty sure they're going to gently caress it up

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i rewatched brotherhood of the wolf like 3 weeks ago after finding a 4k bluray at my local video store.

hadn't seen it since i was a teenager and forgot basically 99% of anything that actually happens.

it was fun and you can tell the crew really cared about what they were making, so it's admirable from that perspective. but overall it's kinda goofy and too long.

the aesthetics are on point tho

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i liked that it was more theoretical and focused on skepticism around the beast, but it really only works if you haven't seen it in forever or never before. could have been cut back or given more to work with in terms of why there might be doubt.

also it feels arbitrary that there was as much/any martial arts thrown into the movie at all. it's really kind of just an excuse for mark dacascos to be in it and for the movie to appeal to people who wanted more stuff like the matrix which only came out like 2 years prior.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

part of the reason i rewatched brother of the wolf is because i'm thirsty for some bloodborne/dark souls vibes in other media. turns out there aren't a lot of good fantasy movies that aren't goofball romps like willow or whatever.

things that come to mind that i've seen and are more recent are green knight and the northman, which both rip. i just recently watched fire and ice on amazon prime over the weekend. it scratched the itch kinda even though it was very basic.

anyone know of anything else i should check out? i've also already seen the arnold conan movies. i remember liking red sonja as a kid but haven't seen it since i was like 10. reviews seem to suggest it's pretty bad by today's standards but i might revisit it anyway.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the length is kind of unwarranted. I think you could make a really tight 90 minute movie out of it from the script stage, but as it is I thought we were gearing up for the final act and I checked and there was a loving hour left.

edit also I get what they were going for but a bone chain-knife-sword is very loving dumb.

yeah it's def too long and i agree a tight 90 would serve it much better. that chain knife thing looked so bad on screen but yeah i get what they were going for. i just hope it was part of the inspiration for bloodborne just like the outfits. but i imagine it probably actually stems from something that came before it

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

Similar to Fire and Ice, but imo better, is The Spine of Night. It came out fairly recently.

Dragonslayer is also solid 80s fantasy.

Halloween Jack posted:

If you like BotW, you'll probably like the Solomon Kane movie starring James Purefoy.

these all look like what i'm looking for. thanks!

Gripweed posted:

Watching Robin Hood: Men in Tights. So far it’s not as good as the other Mel Brooks movies I’ve seen.

like Mordiceius, i also had this on tape as a kid so i just wound up watching it a bunch and have fond memories of it. i also had dracula dead and loving it which i saw a bunch, but i had never actually seen bram stoker's dracula until a few years ago. i was astonished at how much of the story i knew just bc i have memories of seeing the parody as a kid lol.

https://y.yarn.co/6137e580-a6ef-4163-ae34-2a013fe4f5a6.mp4

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

^^^
Dragonslayer is also the ultra rare Peter MacNicol lead role.

speaking of dead and loving it, that's basically the only role i really know this guy from. that and ghostbusters lol. so watching the trailer and seeing him as the star threw me off.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

just rewatched pan's labyrinth for the first time since it was in theaters. it was pretty ok. i dig the visuals and how brutal it is, but it's overall a pretty thin story and it took me like four nights to finish bc i just got really bored most times i put it on.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Enemy and Prisoners are top notch

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

why would i want to go to the movies to hear someone talk? half the time they even say at the beginning "no talking during the movie" and then the movie's full of talking!

:perfect:

:vince:

:five:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i only ever saw cary elwes in men in tights as a kid and then the next thing i saw him in (that i recognized it as him) was in saw as a young adult and i was like "lol that's the funny robin hood guy he can't be in a serious movie!"

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

help settle a debate:

what do you call the video that plays before a movie starts that introduces the studio logo. like the searchlights for 20th century fox or the globe for universal, etc. is there a formal name for these videos? like a preview of an upcoming movie is called a trailer, but is there a special name for what i'm describing?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

feels close, but i wonder if that's just the musical number that plays to accompany the video itself.

someone i know is saying it's called a pre-roll but that doesn't feel right. he runs a plex server and they have it as a built in feature to include custom "pre-rolls" before media starts. i just never heard of anything playing before a movie called that before.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah that’s the fanfare

Technically fanfare is referring to the music and comes from live performances to announce that they’re starting (and if you dig farther back it was to announce the arrival of a VIP at events), but in movies they’re synonymous with the distributor logo

Mordiceius posted:

As someone who works in a job that involves studio film mastering, we use a very technical term for them: logos.

Alternatively, people may say "logo at the head"

DeimosRising posted:

Pre roll is everything that plays before the movie, especially ads, and it’s particularly common terminology in online video (like plex) https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/preroll

I think it actually comes from misunderstanding an older use of the word to mean stuff caught on camera before a take starts but after the camera starts but I’m not 100% on that

thanks for the replies and info

feels like maybe everything before the movie is preroll but each part has its own title. like in the preroll you have ads and promos and trailers and fanfare?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huJ81Mq2y34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

therattle posted:

Animated logo, to be precise. One can have animated or static logos before the film. This is the correct term.

(Source: part of my job is negotiating credits).

so is this plex feature their own made up term? or what would you call a video clip before the actual movie starts (during which the studio animated logo and fanfare plays) but after the trailers, like a "please silence your cell phones" thing?