Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So are we still doing threads for movies? Was surprised 'Poor Things' doesn't have one given how well it's been received and how wonderful the movie was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Aye aye.

It's explained by Dafoe when the student first eats with him - it's a side effect of his father's experiments on him. I think it's the first mention of it, he says something like "father wanted to see if someone could survive without glands to make gastric acid. Alas, you can't." Bubbles are presumably a side effect of him having to get rid of the gas added from the machines.

Really loved that too, reminded me of a Twin Peaks Returns kind of visual.

Can't help but imagine this horse seeing the same fate as the one in the movie. Plastic bits, everywhere.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 3, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

null_pointer posted:

... but name me an actor in a given role whose character moves from goofy to menacing, naturally.

Ryan Gosling in Barbie

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Does No-Face from Spirited Away count even if they're animated

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Oh geez, Saltburn was by the person that wrote the book for Lloyd Weber's huge flop Bad Cinderella. That's fun.

Really like the font they're using in the trailer.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Feel like my bar for movies about fish-out-of-water regular person experiencing the rich world is really high. I get the inclination for wanting to film those worlds, you can have your characters do literally anything money can buy, but boy most of em' suck.

A lot of em' fall short in terms of imagination, forget to make characters and instead just have mouth pieces for on-the-nose social commentary ("Triangle of Sadness"), or go for satire that's so far removed from reality it's not actually parodying anything ("Fool's Paradise"/"Being There" to a lesser extent).

Loved "The Menu", largely because it did have imagination when it came to the dishes. & that while the social commentary was on-the-nose, it was delivered by a person you increasingly come to understand is insane.

Bright Bart posted:

I know this is the movie thread but I have to recommend it. And it'd actually make a fine film with the right director & cast.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0433096/ ?

or https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15126710/

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is easily the worst of the movies you mentioned imo. drat what a dull, obvious movie

:shrug: I dug it. But I also really like Ralph Fiennes, movies with title cards and liked a few seasons of Chef's Table before it felt stale. Mixing the Chef's Table aethestic with a glorified slasher plot is some good popcorn time to me. Obvious, sure, but it was fun to see what the next dish would entail and I laughed when they went full in on the over-the-top Achatz tribute. Appreciated that they started with stuff that you're like "sure, could see a place doing this", like sauces w/o bread. Only to notch it up each dish until at the end they're dressing the guests with absurd chocolate bar shawls and big marshmallow helmets. If nothing else, they clearly had some fun with it.

Weakest part is the combat scene, but appealing to the crazy man's long dead joy of cooking to find mercy was cute. Lesser movie would have her poison him or something.

Assuming you haven't seen "Fool's Paradise" if you think that, which, good. Don't see it. Probably the most disappointing use of what was a decent idea and lead actor for it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 4, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

As someone who feels more movies should have intermissions, I'm a-ok with someone taking a smoke break mid set. I too can piss off for a minute.

Given his recent output if that's the worst bit of his new show, that'd be an improvement.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching "The Man Who Would Be King" for the first time and drat. Had no idea Connery and Caine did a buddy-colonist flick - or that they could look like they're having this much fun in a film. I'm not sure I've seen Connery express this much uncertainty in a role before. Used to him always be either an authority figure or someone with a certainty to their character. Seeing him play someone who's weak luck into godhood is fun.

Weird film to watch nowadays as the story relies on the trope of "white guys easily take over ignorant nonwhite people", but is self aware enough to never present Connery and Caine as anything but bad guys. Skilled enough soldiers, but also lucky in multiple instances. Feel like it wasn't coming from a place of endorsement at the very least, but I don't know enough about Houston or 1975 to know how much consideration that stuff got.

Really neat flick.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

Or how Hot Fuzz did it for Timothy Dalton

Need to rewatch this. Man this is such a dumb good gag.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

So much bird poo poo in The Boy and the Heron. I love that you *know* there were debates between the animators about whether to include it, and I'm so happy that everytime someone gets swamped by hundreds of birds they're left covered in unremarked upon poo poo. It's such a small, but hilariously unique touch.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bright Bart posted:

My secret shame is that I don't find butts, buttholes, farting, or feces funny at all.

fwiw it isn't played for laughs in the film, and it's less the poo poo itself I find funny but more that it's so unnecessarily realistic. Like people standing while birds surround and fly by them happens all the time in movies. The Boy and the Heron is the first to take the bold stand and show what would actually happen to a person if that happened. In the movie no one ever comments on it, making it feel very matter-of-factly.

I am sorry you don't find butts funny. The goofiest orifice.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Visited a Flix Brewhouse for the first time, was floored at how similar it was to Alamo Drafthouse. Food and a movie in a recliner isn't a unique concept anymore, but even the branding and design felt so similar to Alamo that I was wondering if it was owned by the same company.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If no one does a thread by tomorrow after tomorrow I will make one.

Would actually be fun to do one for another month this year. Does someone just raise their hand to do so or does someone just do it?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gripweed posted:

I for one was being serious. There's something you guys need to learn

Anime Eratosthenes?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Having never read the forum rules before, I sympathize but it's hilarious that ya'll had to codify that people shouldn't be posting that they jacked off to a movie they just watched. The poor soul(s?) who just needed to shout it from the mountain that they got off to the Dark Knight, RIP.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody see any good movies lately?

Been on a Connery kick, The Man Who Would Be King and The Name of the Rose. Already posted about the former, but the later was a lot of fun too. Sherlock Holmes but monks set in a spectacular cathedral and lit brilliantly. Murder mystery is actually solid too. Was what I was expecting Witness to be before that one took a midway hour break to become a romance drama (not that that's a bad thing). Something in the water in 1985 about religious sects and murder.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Envious. I've been deliberately putting off seeing Under the Cherry Moon until I can catch it in person in a theater. I was a lot less keen on Purple Rain than I'd expected, but I vaguely recall reading that Cherry is more batshit and less a surprise PSA on spousal abuse.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I left M3gan frustrated that they didn't have more fun with the doll when it got super protective.

Wanted to see a version where the mother gets killed and we get to see the doll have to try to take the kid to school, cook it a meal, etc. Or had the doll do more robot-y things like search the net for how to build an improvised weaponry. Have Megan try to build her own daughter but because she's a robot she can't add the ingredient of love and it's all messed up and destroys her.

Not saying those are good or better, but are along the lines of goofy poo poo I'd have taken over a generic Aliens final confrontation. Just felt like a complete waste of the premise they'd built up.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

For anyone curious we found it on youtube last time it came up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JITX8Id7tgs

This movie is a ton of fun, thank you!

I think I'm a sucker for a movie that nails something visual. The lady in a red bodysuit on a swing petting a cat wearing sunglasses is *perfect*. It's a sight that sings. I'm not academic enough to write why it works so much better than, to make an unfair comparison: Taylor Swift in CATS singing on a half moon, but it makes me want to fist bump the director and go "you did it, this is iconic". Other examples would be the Fury Road's fleet or Babett's Feast's feast.

Colorizing is less perfect but it's done to well enough effect that it made me smile too.

Cat rocks.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

I don't think you have to be a nerd to differentiate something that looks cool as hell and something similar that looks kinda dumb. It's straight up a thumbs up thumbs down deal. Easy

I think you misunderstood me. Was just musing that I wish I could better articulate what about certain aesthetics 'clicks' for me as perfect. Like, yes, it's very much a gut thing, and no I don't think you have to be a nerd to differentiate something as cool or not. Or even that a person would need to justify it. I feel no need to justify my taste, but want to understand and convey the peak of it better is all.

ShoogaSlim posted:

it always winds up being the type of person who never really dislikes anything or has a strong opinion about anything. like nothing is "bad" to them. the spectrum is either "it was alright" (meaning bad) or "i thought it was cool" (meaning good/great/amazing/who the gently caress knows)

The most enjoyable part of seeing Napoleon was debriefing with a friend afterwards about how mediocre it was and the bits we found awful. Did enjoy a handful of things, mostly how much acting was done through hats.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 12, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Data Graham posted:

But then I think this is a common theme with me, I don't know what makes a "bad" whiskey or a "bad" book or a "bad" piece of music, not unless it's so offensive to my senses that I can't find a single thing bearable about it. I always figure there's just something I'm missing

Feels like a problem of "bad" movies being such a broad term nowadays. I love low-budget "bad" flicks and movies that are poorly acted, badly written, etc. But then there's stuff like Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland that feels like an insult to watch. As someone that loved Carroll's work it was unbearable watching his characters be used in such a generic fantasy plot devoid of any wit and so, so ugly.

Bit more contentious, but I had a similar feeling watching Renfield. Felt like such a slam dunk in terms of casting and general plot, but felt so let down by how awful the script was. Patronizing, dumb, couldn't decide what it was, and not enough Nic Cage having fun to make up for it.

I suppose between those two, to me at least what makes a movie 'bad' is:
1- Knowledge and an expectation that it could be good (Carroll's original work / Igor but as a modern abusive relationship)
2- Failing to deliver that,
3- Playing it as safe as possible so it's not even failing in an interesting way

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

NieR Occomata posted:

If you liked it, though, I want to hear why as long as the answer isn’t “oh you see it’s one big metaphor for Miyazaki’s history as a creator and actually these characters are supposed to be stand-ins from the people in his past”.

I liked it a lot. You're correct that the movie doesn't lay anything out clean enough to say "it's about this" definitively, but I didn't mind that. My walk away thought was that it's about that you can't force the next generation to accept the world you've built for them. "It's open to interpretation" is too generous as it does leave a lot unexplained, but there's enough there to work with that I don't think it's a failure. Not sure that you need to know Miyazaki’s history to clock any of that.

As much as I wanted more spirit world poo poo (still wish each of the old ladies had gotten the youthful pirate treatment), I dug the first half you felt dragged well enough. Went in blind, so I was almost anticipating the entire movie just being this dumb kid violently rejecting the call-to-adventure. I'm sure someone has done it already, but a full story about Alice not following the rabbit, and then making weapons to hunt and destroy the rabbit is funny.

If it dragged, I didn't notice over the lovely attention to detail in the characters movements and the painted backgrounds too.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 12, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I hardly remember that movie but do remember also being pissed off the mcguffin character who so much emphasis had been put for the protagonists motivation got discarded so easily both by them and the movie.

Tig being green-screened into the movie was funny to watch for tho. iirc they didn't do a bad job of incorporating her in, but every time it was just her on screen couldn't help but chuckle knowing she was filming that probably months after the scene was actually shot.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched Desperado randomly yesterday and having never sought out Rodriguez's stuff, I get why he had a career based on this alone. Was just so much fun, with Trejo's scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTYOJ3oqSs) being a highlight. Was howling when the hero had two friends that look exactly like him show up without any prior mention also with guitar cases and more so when one of the cases turned out to be a tiny rocket launcher.

Gonna check out the other two films in the trilogy, but I worry a little I just saw Rod at his best.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 12, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Lobster Henry posted:

What Mike Leigh film should I watch next? Ive seen:

Abigail’s Party
Vera Drake
Topsy Turvy
Happy Go Lucky
Mr Turner

Watched Happy Go Lucky after seeing this post. Real refreshing to see a ditzy person be portrayed so goofy yet responsible and mature. Didn't expect it to be "Happy Go Lucky vs the Angsty Racist Driving Instructor". Will probably check out the rest of these too,

Thank you to anyone posting movies they've watched here, fun way to catch some interesting flicks that definitely wouldn't have otherwise.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watching Pottersville after the mention earlier. About halfway through and enjoying how baffling it is. It's such a bad, but wild premise, acted by some of the legit best out there. Like how is the production section of this movie's wikipedia only three sentences and not about whatever wild budget they must have had / blackmail to get this cast:

quote:

Production
Pottersville was filmed in Hamilton and Syracuse, New York.[2] Six students from nearby Colgate University received internships for the production, and one faculty member served as an extra in the film.[3] Principal photography ended in May 2016.[1][4]

Also watched Abigail's Party (and you can too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_MZ1WKGO9U) and really dug it. Takes a minute of settling in, and is less a movie than a recorded stage play, but it starts to hum early on and ends brilliantly. A woman (Beverly) hosts a get together for her neighbors while one of their daughters (Abigail) has a party next door. The passive and blatantly aggressive vibes start to fly early and it's just so well done it's easy to get over the whole thing taking place in one room. A very well done play. Aggressively 70's and British.

https://i.imgur.com/iquOmCd.mp4

& finally watched Sushi Girl which is as anyone reviewing will say is a mediocre Tarantino pastiche. "Bunch of characters who did a robbery six years ago get together over sushi to find out from the guy who got arrested where he stashed the diamonds they stole." But Tony Todd is good, Mark Hamil is doing Mr.Slave voice, and the resolution is obvious but fun. Solidly ok enough.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 18, 2024

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Justice for Gene

I liked it, but was very sad with where Gene landed.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched The Goonies. Man I hosed up having Hook on VHS instead of this as a kid. What a fun adventure flick.

So much yelling. So much sets.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

People should really consider how they're spending their time when embarking on a One Piece or Naruto sized series. Is that truly what you wish to use your limited time on Earth on?

Yes. Knock on wood, but it's an epic well up there with LotR and GoT in how dense and well thought out the world is. Series is in it's final arc now (which means it'll be done in like 5 years) and it's been hitting high after high for the past decade or so. Legit remarkable how well everything's come together and there's no sign of faltering as it's nearing the finish line.

Well worth the time, absolute masterpiece.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

LotR is three paperbacks long.

...plus the supplemental stuff. Point wasn't the word count, was just that it's a fictional world you can really dig into the world of it if you want.

Anyway One Piece is good and consider reading it.

Watched True Lies. Mad that they didn't film Schwartz fly a horse across two buildings. Also one of those films where they're aware of misogyny bad so a bunch of poo poo-heads have some very aggressive lines - but also not self aware enough to realize they filmed a ten minute scene of Schwartz torturing his wife.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIs5tOBDAyM

Watched Jigarthanda DoubleX. Not as balls to the wall as RRR, but drat is it a great watch. Surprisingly bold ending, was caught off guard by how beautiful it ended up being. One of the lead actors looks like an Indian Danny McBride, as his haircut is very close to the pompadour and clothing he sports in Righteous Gemstones.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Anyone know of any good letterboxd lists or the like for foreign flicks with big fun spectacles? RRR and Jigarthanda DoubleX have me inspired to try to see what other countries are doing for over-the-top action flicks.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Those are some fun fuckin' results.

Watched A Taxi Driver and loved it. Went into it knowing it was based on a historic protest in South Korea, but it pulls off a tonal shift so well it's shocking. Literally begins with jangly guitar comedy sit-com music, you blink, and you're watching a tragedy where an army move in on massacring an unarmed crowd. It's a good watch.

Also MacGruber, which I couldn't believe they got Powers fuckin' Boothe for. Wonderfully horrid lead. Hope the TV show is this dumb, can't wait to check that out.

Fast forwarded through Salt Burn, don't feel like I missed much. Fun dance at the end. Appreciate flick's showing full hog. Seems like you're watching what very wealthy people assume will happen if they let the poors in.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Martman posted:

is this something people actually do

It popped up as a free movie to see on my Prime homescreen and I heard the dance at the end was good so yeah. Didn't feel like committing a full two hours to it and it was almost as easy as looking up a youtube clips of it :shrug:.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

edit: oh there's a thread for this movie. Just gonna make this post there.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kojima living the dream meeting his cinema heroes is so endearing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

ShoogaSlim posted:

if you haven't seen it already, watch the dungeons and dragons movie from last year. i think it nails a post-marvel silly fantasy action blockbuster that borrows from and improves on the formula that made marvel great at one point without the baggage of the current state of the mcu.

Doctor Strange 2 was the straw that made me shrug when new Marvel flicks come out. Didn't mind Quantumania, largely because I went in with no expectations of it being good and enjoyed odds and ends in it, even if the thing is an absolute mess.

Strongly, strongly agree with this tho after just seeing Dungeons and Dragons a few days ago. That movie fuckin' rules. Way more genuinely clever than it had any right to be. Hoping it's a harbringer for these blockbusters becoming earnest again. It's on Amazon Prime if ya have a membership to that!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Hashtag inserting herself in the conversation is... gross. Politician's gonna politician.

CelticPredator posted:

in the film they referenced the cartoon costumes so someone cares about

Having never seen the cartoon, I noticed and was tickled by those costumes because I assumed it was a nod to larpers or those people throwing tennis fire balls at each other in the woods inspired by dnd. In general tho it felt like the movie acknowledging the inspiration's dorkiness and allowing it to just "be" instead of having someone quip at how dumb their outfit looks.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Guys there was a Dungeons and Dragons streaming channel. Did you know that? Not surprising, absolutely nobody did.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/14/23961054/theres-a-whole-dungeons-dragons-channel-now

They are so, so late to this boat. Poor bastards. Do love to see the people who led the charge on Actual Play get featured on these shows tho. Get that dough.

Also recently watched HouseBound. Went in with too high of expectations built up from a bud. It's fine, but a lot of the bits missed to me.

Please Don't Destroy: The Treasure of Foggy Mountain makes the case that Conan O'Brien should be in more movies playing the straight man. Was also 'ok', felt decent but at no point really grabbed me. The kind of comedy you would see on Comedy Central and keep on in the background as you do other stuff.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That photo is impeccable. Their blank stares, the sketchy American Gothic, the mannequin Oscar. Great all around.