Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
So good in Beau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The meme if anything is that she's an out-of-touch posho. She's undeniably of evil landlord stock and her work provides plenty of ammo for the rest

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

josh04 posted:

To the wall with her, sure, but that's not really to do with the movie.

I'll have to wait until I actually see the movie to have this opinion, but I strongly suspect it is

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This is easily the worst of the movies you mentioned imo. drat what a dull, obvious movie

X-Ray Pecs posted:

This all makes Saltburn sound like a worse version of Society (1989, d.p. Rick Fichter).

That would be something, there hasn't been enough shunting at the movies lately

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Maestro is the one where they gave the actor a fake nose significantly bigger than the actual guy's actual nose, right?

No, but a lot of people on twitter sure convinced themselves of that.

It's actually a very boring film with outstanding makeup

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bright Bart posted:

My secret shame is that I don't find butts, buttholes, farting, or feces funny at all.

Genuinely feel bad for you. Finding butts funny connected all of us going back to ancient Sumer and beyond. I'm reading a book right now called Butts

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bright Bart posted:

Proctologist? No. But that's not the only kind of doctor that sticks fingers in butts all the time. Pretty much anybody but a psychiatrist, dermatologist, ophthalmologist and the like will have to

Hmmm, I definitely need to have a discussion with my psychiatrist about our boundaries...

Bright Bart posted:

e: To write something that fits the thread, people make fun of the concept of Thing: The Novelization of the Thing Movie Based on The Novel Thing By Author but are there real examples? The closest I think I've seen are special editions of the original novel that change the names of characters and maybe cut some chapters to fit the movie, a still from which replaces the cover.

Both the new Color Purple and Mean Girls are: Movies based on a Musical based on a Movie based on a Book.

E: on rereading I see you were asking about a different kinda thing, but I still think it's notably weird

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Today I watched Godzilla Minus One , which was excellently sentimental and melodramatic and fun. Even if you're basically rooting for a vanquished fascist empire to get back off the mat, they sreally sell it with the power of a Tiny Cute Kid, and some top-notch destruction.

It would have been a great movie day if I didn't follow it up with Leave the World Behind, which was basically garbage. Never trust a movie where one of the execs is Sasha Obama on work experience. Great performers wasted on an awful script, this would have been poo poo writing for an episode of Black Mirror.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

They’re the only reason I watched Zola

Zola was good

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Azhais posted:

They should release it in 2030 just to keep it realtime

They can just set it in 2030 yknow

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
28 Trains Later

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Is Trainspotting2 any good? The first was a formative movie for me as a teen

yeah it's better than I expected. The bit where they go to the Rangers fans club is great

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hollismason posted:

I have first hand knowledge thay Irvine Welsh is a total poo poo head.

I remember reading Filth(?) as a teen and he writes a chapter from the POV of a tapeworm in the arse of one of the characters and even as a teen I realised that he was a tryhard loser and possibly insane

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Data Graham posted:

(Not helped by the fact that every single Oscar for Best Actor has always gone to the leading man/lady, which to me doesn't pass the sniff test; like are you telling me that Lamp Squarejaw over here is actually the best actor in this ensemble of 24 major speaking roles?

That's because they also give out awards for "Best Supporting Actor/Actress ". Also, gently caress an Oscar.

On the topic of Bad Acting, it might not be an original observation but Nicolas Cage is one of the best actors of his generation and he's still often derided because he sometimes chooses to employ a different style of acting that ventures beyond the representational schools of performance. I couldn't be hosed arguing with people about it though, IYKYK and if not you're missing out

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

Yeah, although I do wonder if it should be two from the list, not one.

2 of those makes a movie that you annoy all your friends taking about

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Safety Factor posted:

I could've sworn he had a credit on Superbad somewhere. My mistake!

Edit:
:lmao: Apparently he had a bit role as "Tut Long John Silver" in Superbad so his IMDB page says he's known for it too.

Isn't he the guy who spots the period stain on Jonah Hills pants?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Cameo posted:

Danny McBride becoming one sort of guy when the first time I remember seeing him is in All The Real Girls (because Jody, Danny, and David Gordon Green I believe are all college friends, if not even older friends than that?) is very weird.

It’s sort of like watching Michael Shannon become known for INTENSE and HARD when you see him in The Woodsman and he is just playing the kindest, most patient therapist of all time in that.

Michael Shannons weirdest role like that is probably in The Night Before as the weed dealer but he absolutely nails it. I think that role might also be closest to his real life persona

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I feel like Trump would love Reacher. Or at least like a 3 min compilation of the Big Man Hitting People and hot chicks

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He's still not as large as book Reacher, hilariously.

"Reacher is described as being 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest."

Alan Ritchson is 6'2" and shot from below.

Personally, I'm taller than Reacher at 6'6" but only weigh 89kg and have a 42" chest, so can confirm that IRL Reacher would be a very Big Guy indeed.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

Also, it's always been spelled Berenstæin Bears.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

It bombed, unfortunately

I think in the end it washed its face with the international box office, but no merch or tie-in stuff pretty much means yeah big flop

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you liked the D&D movie I cannot recommend Game Night (the directors' previous film) enough. The D&D movie is them being as funny as they can within an IP straitjacket.

And then you realise it's the kid from Freaks and Geeks. DnD is in his blood

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It must have had crazily good word of mouth too because I'm pretty sure almost everyone who saw it liked it more than they expected. Just a shame

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E: ^^^^^^^ fuqrk it's happening

When I was a kid I was only aware of the cartoon, not the actual game

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Safety Factor posted:

So what did they call Sex Drive?

A Royale With Sex

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What's the oldest age an actor was cast to play a regular high school student completely unironically?

Not counting biopics.

I think Angourie Rice is going to play high schoolers till she's 30

Not high school since he's supposed to be a first year Uni student, but the whole time I was watching Barry Keoghan in Saltburn thinking "my man, you are 31"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Gotta be Groot, right?

Looking at your username, I'm gonna say Pikachu

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
You make a persuasive argument

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Didn't realise it was Neil Hannon wtf. Divine Comedy were pretty big in the 90s in UK/ROI

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I think he's just weird and Greek but he's definitely funny. His wife is also very funny and cool

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Peccadillo posted:

I haven't seen Poor Things yet but one of the Chapo guys hated it so bad and called him Youlose Lostthemost. Hard disagree, Will Menekar is adopted and I am his dad. Thankthemos

I listen to the podcast for random chuckles, but their media takes have always been horrendous, and their politics are also heading down the drain since they went full post-Bernie nihilism.

Hopefully Christman recovers enough brain function to get back on his poo poo cause he's the MVP

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

it's ok to hate Poor Things imo

Even if that were true, those Chapo scamps spent the last few years rhapsodising about Billions and Ray Donovan, and Will Menaker is the epitome of a pretentious Letterboxd dweeb.

I may be accumulating too much random knowledge about those lads

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

They really liked The Beekeeper

Some things transcend irony poisoning

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Umm probably not as a whole oeuvre cause there's definitely a bunch of discomforting material in his stuff, but he's nothing like von Trier.

Poor Things is a lot more accessible than Dogtooth or Killing Of A Sacred Deer tho so idk worth a shot

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I watched the "time travelling Muslims kill Jesus" movie because of chapo and it was actually sick

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Why would they do that

Honestly, watch the movie to see

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1753286702905663885?t=XvuG9Tti4wlktwRrUeNQuQ&s=19

That's a shame

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Love action He -Man with Josh Gad as the title role

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Yeah what MZ said, Last Black Man is very good (especially if you've spent any amount of time in San Francisco).

It's so good, looks and sounds amazing, shame about the cancelled guy.

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Risky Business / Cocktail doublebill