Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I resolve to watch movies this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Imagine a Tiktok that goes on for almost two hours

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don’t think Spiritual Kung Fu would fly with the ASPCA, I’m pretty sure Jackie Chan really killed that chicken.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

El Pipila posted:

decided to kick off the year by finishing Out 1

off to a bad start!

Should’ve gone with Spiritual Kung Fu, this movie is nuts.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blood Boils posted:

Thats what you say every year!

And guess what? I'm already halfway there!

I watched Spiritual Kung Fu. Not bad. A lot of really good kung fu. It's definitely more of a normal movie than Half a Loaf of Kung Fu, but it doesn't reach the heights of the final action sequence from Half a Loaf. There's one bit where Jackie Chan is sleeping with his head up on a pillow and his legs up on a desk, and the ghosts move the pillow and the desk but he stays in the same position, it's very clearly just Jackie Chan holding that pose perfectly still completely unsupported, and it's insanely impressive.

I just need to watch one more movie I will have watched movies (plural) this year!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Peccadillo posted:

I've been watching "Post Mortem: no one dies in Skarse" and its pretty good. Why is Scandinavian vampire stuff so cool, Let the Right One In was one of my favourite books as a teen and the movie was great

Don't be tricked. Despite the name, Norway is actually a Greek vampire movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, I haven't seen Spaced in Ages. I wonder how it plays these days, now that having strong Star Wars opinions isn't the marker of a nerd so much as of an incredibly tiresome person.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My second movie of 2024 was The Raid: Shadow Legends. It's very good!

I had never really felt a strong impetus to watch it, because I'd only really heard about it after Dredd came out and mostly in terms of how much it was like Dredd. and I really liked Dredd so I figured, "I already have Dredd"

But I did watch it and it is very similar to Dredd but also does it's own thing. While Dredd has more of a focus on good story and characters, The Raid brings way more fighting. And the fighting is great and brutal. I've never seen a hero character stab so many guys. My one real criticism is that it doesn't really escalate well, so towards the end it's just more really good fight scenes. But that's enough to make me happy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DeimosRising posted:

you watched what now?

That movie about the cops who raid an apartment building run by a drug lord but then have to fight their way out

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Like every YouTuber has done promos for it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baron von Eevl posted:

Great, now gripweed's going to post again in a few weeks about how clever their joke that nobody liked was.

Nah that one was just ok.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Speaking of good jokes I made that no one responded to, in the Gundam thread people were talking about Gundam Seed and the practical differences between Naturals and Coordinators, how Coordinators had an easier time at anything they turned their hand to but still needed to work hard and practice to get really good at something and there was still space for Naturals to be better than them like Mu La Flaga being a Natural and still one of the best pilots in the setting, and I sad that a Natural could beat a Coordinator as long as they never saved anything for the swim back.

And it got nothing! Not even a single lol. That was crushing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CelticPredator posted:

Hardy is incapable of doing a bad voice

For Venom he invented a regional blue collar accent from a region that doesn’t exist, it’s so good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

GateOfD posted:

Steven Yeun backing out of the Marvels Thunderbolts movie.
Says scheduling issues, but probably looked at the script more and decided it was gonna be hot garbage and made up an excuse

How, haven't they finished filming by now?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Maybe he should've tried writing Good Cinderella

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

Yeah they kill a lot of chickens too. I don't know why specifically Hong Kong films killed snakes and chickens but they do. Also they seem to gently caress with cats a lot too.

Jackie Chan snaps a chicken’s neck as a joke in Spiritual Kung Fu.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m watching Yakuza Weapon. It’s not very good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don’t know if I’m going to finish Yakuza Weapon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

OK when I posted that I assumed there was only like 15 or 20 minutes left, it would just be one big action set piece and that would be it. But then they started introducing this whole new plot element and I checked and there were 45 minutes left.

So I am officially bailing on Yakuza Weapon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Maestro is the one where they gave the actor a fake nose significantly bigger than the actual guy's actual nose, right?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I think I'm the only person on earth who thought Threads laid it on way too thick. Ten years after the war and everybody's still living on piles of bricks. They've managed to survive for a full decade but never bothered to tidy up. And the only schooling is watching a VHS tape about skeletons.

I get it, nuclear war would be bad, but that's just being silly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

And they made pre-war British life look pretty unpleasant to start with. Everybody was mean and tired before the bombs even dropped.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

regulargonzalez posted:

That's really cool actually. I've read novelizations where they're essentially just a transcript of the movie so gotta give him credit for going for it.

I remember as a wee child reading a book that was a sequel to the movie ET. I don't remember seeing that before or since, a prose sequel to a movie. Wonder if there are others.

Heat 2

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MacheteZombie posted:

So I'm beginning to think the volunteer for January isn't gunna get their thread up. Would someone like to volunteer to take on movie of the month on short notice?

I can't do it right not but if nobody gets one up before me in a couple hours I'll do it. The movie will be Mobile Suit Gundam: Reconguista in G: The Movie I: Go! Core Fighter.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Well now it's a race

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m watching Re-Cycle, this Chinese horror movie about a lady who gets sucked into the world of abandoned things. I wasn’t really feeling it to begin with, and then she got to the hallway of aborted fetuses.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hollismason posted:

He's got 24 hours or I make the thread and its going to be Angst! maybe Cannibal Holocaust!

So it's a hard no on Mobile Suit Gundam: Reconguista in G: The Movie I: Go! Core Fighter?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I for one was being serious. There's something you guys need to learn

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Anime Eratosthenes?

When she says that she's fighting someone in space, they can all see the earth isn't literally square. She's speaking metaphorically. That metaphor baffled the person she's fighting, and a good chunk of the viewing audience at the time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oh btw I did not finish Re-Cycle. The lady is getting led around the world of abandoned things by this little girl, so as soon as the hall of aborted fetuses was introduced I was just like, "oh come on please don't" and then yup it turns out that was what the movie was about.

Re-Cycle and Yakuza Weapon, two fuckin duds in a row, this sucks. And these weren't total blind buys either, Yakuza Weapon starred Tak Sakaguchi, the star of Versus, so that could have been good. And Re-Cycle was by the Pang Brothers, who did The Eye which I really liked! But no, I trusted them all and they all let me down.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

You guys hear about that guy who got stuck in a urn?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody see any good movies lately?

No! I'm having terrible luck with movies lately.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I saw you guys talking about Saltburn a while back, I was listening to a podcast that’s not about movies but the guy mentioned he saw Saltburn. He said the whole thing is shot like a cologne commercial, it’s about this nerd who tries to be cool and goes to a house where everyone’s bisexual and does increasingly gross horny stuff until eventually the movie ends.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Barbie. Pretty good!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Man, looking at the production history of Barbie, I’m really glad we got the Barbie movie we got. And not one written by Diablo Cody or starring Amy Schumer. Dodged a couple bullets there.

The Cannon one probably would have been fun though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Open Source Idiom posted:

Eh, Cody's fun. I've liked a few of her things (United States Of Tara, Jennifer's Body) and that trailer makes her new thing look good.

United States of Tara was so weird. The first season is this grounded little dramedy, very clear on the premise that the different personalities are all Tara, they all have a clear emotional purpose for Tara. And then the second season starts, and suddenly each personality is a different person and they have discussions inside Tara’s mind, and one of them gets a girlfriend. And the teenage daughter gets a job as a repo man and she repossesses a black lady’s car but then it turns out the black lady is very wise and for no reason at all she starts giving the teenage daughter life lessons and a magic pair of boots.

I would really like to know what happened in between season 1 and season 2 of this show. It’s probably unfair but based on absolutely nothing I always blamed Diablo Cody for the show taking such a hard lovely turn.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Huh. I owe Diablo Cody an apology.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Peccadillo posted:

Wait I kinda get the bad summary critique. I remember talking to someone and I mentioned I just saw Nce Guys and they said I saw that too, it sucked nothing happened. And I didn't understand. The movie happened. It wasn't good, it was cute but a ton of stuff happened.That's just not somebody I'm gonna talk movies with we're not on the same page 'bout it

Nice Guys was really good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

Honestly it was better than either Godfather

I haven't seen Godfather but I strongly doubt it's better than Nice Guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

The worst things about the modern world is the psuedodemocraticazation of art, the rise of geek culture, and poptimism which has lead to a morass of people whom have deeply held belief that all art is equal but lacking the actual experience in the deeper ends of art have zero vocabulary, skill, or will to engage with anything outside their narrow comfort zones. Watching or reading and considering the great works is invaluable for rounding out your own opinions, comparing and contrasting why you react to one thing or lash out at another, it gives you ineffably a better ability to dissect and diagnose your own experience with art. People who watch nothing but trash cannot even understand why people deride their experience because they lack basic literacy. When a bunch of Marvelite simpletons rail against Scorsese they aren't doing it in an ironic fashion, they fully believe that whatever slop they watch is actually equal to Taxi Driver or KOTFM, they literally cannot understand that art can be more than a series of tropes, quotes, and flashing images. It's sad.

The interesting thing about that kind of movie person is that they automatically assume that anything "high brow" is going to be boring or foreign or have a protagonist who is a bad person. I think the real thing there is that they expect that so-called "great" movies will demand something of the viewer. Paying attention or knowing about foreign culture or being willing to deal with complexity, those are all impositions they fear the movies will put on them. And they don't want that, they do not approach movies as something they interact with. They have fully accepted the concept of "content". They simply want to be supplied content.

But to be honest I also think that group is very small. People who love Marvel but despise Scorsese as a moral position are not a significant population.