Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Wow. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

And I can't edit my post now but I feel icky using the word "first time" especially in reference to the second night if that's when actual intercourse had first taken place. For the same reason I dislike to term 'losing your virginity' because whatever that was meant to mean once upon a time this ain't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

therattle posted:

Sheeeeit, didn’t realise it was going to close. I intended to post my list. Guess that train has sailed.

You can always make the Best of 2024 So Far thread and post your picks.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The Peccadillo posted:

I've been watching "Post Mortem: no one dies in Skarse" and its pretty good. Why is Scandinavian vampire stuff so cool, Let the Right One In was one of my favourite books as a teen and the movie was great

I liked how Let The Right One In basically takes place in what looks like a post-Soviet state.

Actually now that I think about it all the gritty Scandinavian novels take place in either Communist blocks (which I have no actual knowledge about but seems reasonable) or desolate small towns (which seems less so).

The Bridge may be an exception to this.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

American Fiction is solid. There is a character introduced in the first act that you think is going to be a huge, fine part of the film but makes an immediate exit. But it's still solid.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

distortion park posted:

If only there was some way to rent blurrays! Perhaps a convenient website where they'd send you the disc along with return packaging?

Umm, is... is there?

I thought the only places to rent physical discs now are:
  • the municipal public library, which, actually might have some cool stuff so check it out
  • your aunt who started a collection and is deep into sunken costs by this point in time
  • a nerdy neighbour who groans about the lack of bonus features on Netflix, which he is right about but all he has are the Marvel films
  • that Facebook swap group that's actually a front for cult/MLM recruitment

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

X-Ray Pecs posted:

An interesting look at that idea is Take Shelter, where Michael Shannon has dreams of a coming apocalypse so he throws everything he has at building a shelter to weather the storm that’s coming, to the detriment of his wife, community, and his own well-being.

I think Take Shelter was in the middle or at the tailoring end of a few films like this.

One of them had Sean Bean as the patriarch and boy did it have one of the most akward sex scenes. It wasn't particularly gross but it was just like 'You know those 10-second scenes where we imply sex so that you know the married couple is still intimate with each other? Do it but the whole thing from foreplay to climax'.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the American dream

There's this film from the late 2000s called The Trotsky, and the protagonist at one point is called out on how he's supposed to be leader of the new organization when he attends private school and has never worked a job in his life. He basically responds by saying someone has to be the leader and if fate chose him then there's a reason.

But it's not fate. He's choosing himself. And there are likely far better candidates from among the factory workers he's organizing, which is something he could see readily if he hadn't internalized the idea that the upper class is inherently more capable than everybody else.

He gets a pass because he's a kid. But I've known people like this in real life. People who have (or are studying for) a BA in economics and if you ask them what they'll do once capitalism is overthrown will tell you that they (and not say any one of hundreds of Marxist-Leninists professors/professional economists) will be Minister of Finance since they brought about the change. Class struggle isn't a trip to the amusement park where if you organize the outing you get to choose the rides lol

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

So if you enjoyed Beau is Afraid, you might could need to see Eileen. It's billed as a psychological thriller but it's really a kind of tragicomedy I think.

It has the same mix of wholesome and abusive, the real the the surreal, somehow feeling like it's the past but clearly set in the present, an unexpected point of escalation, and a twist in the same vein although not the same sort. Plus a very light smattering of weird sex stuff kept to a minimum. On that note, I used to wonder how they can possibly cast actresses like Thomasin McKenzie as the sexually frustrated virgin. She's cute as buttons! Below-average but some amount of social skills. Can fake self confidence for the 10 seconds it would take. I used to find this utterly unrealistic Hollywood nonsense until most my friends slowly became women.

The ending is very different and the protagonist is less pitiful in ways but there's a strong resemblance.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's no Star Trek supermen or psychics, just people with slightly less chronic health issues maybe.

If that were the case it would make the endevour all the more noble and something to dive headlong into. Because It's eliminate the most pressing risks and problems, leaving behind pretty much just practical considerations and the issue of fairness (and the sub-issues of that like how society would change when the wealthy would live past 100 consistantly without predisposition to physical or mental health problems the poor are still subject to).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The Peccadillo posted:

Saltburn was terrible. Three or four of the goofiest sex scenes of all time and for a denouement of "no poo poo"

I don't treat the ending as the main twist. That would be the bait & switch from the trailer (as well how things typically go in these stories and as well as casting Nate Jacobs from Euphoria).

Even then as I've mentioned before the movie sets up a big "We told you so" right from the beginning. Which might actually be the coolest thing about the film.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

josh04 posted:

Leave some ambiguity!

I actually hadn't even thought of the alternatives. But I think you could even keep the naked dance through the mansion and it would still have worked. It'd still be heavily implied that he was responsible whether by straight up murder and poisoning or just being a sinister influence or more metaphorical as the death of the old elite to be replaced by something possibly even worse; or that he didn't have anything to do with the death so much as he had a sick obsession with one and was using/didn't care about anybody else. It wouldn't be subtle. But at least people would debate what really happened.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

josh04 posted:

Even when people say "Oh Nolan can't mix sound" that's a complaint about an aspect of the film at heart.

I am a huge fan of his sound design and think he should lean into it a bit more even.

I say this not just because he's my favourite director. Even though he is. (Note: I'm not saying he's the best director ever; just that he's my favourite although yes the main reason is that he's consistantly excellent.)

I say this because it's super fun struggling to make out what Bane is saying, having music blast over characters talking, and nearly jumping out of your seat for supressed gunfire.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Alan Smithee posted:

it's weird how good he was at being a hick POS in Revenant

It's fun watching him be a jerk in Taboo. Specifically, he's a huge dick to Anthony Serkis's barely, baaarely teenaged son. Who in the show doesn't know it but is Hardy's own son (which Hardy is aware of). Instead of showing fatherly affection when he finds out he keeps on making the kid do menial, dangerous tasks and risk his life just as he did before.

He's not an outright POS though. He's the protagonist. The POS would be Jonathan Pryce aka Cardinal Wolsey from Wolf Hall (or High Sparrow from GoT if you're less cultured).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

One more thing about Saltburn:

What's with the throwaway line implying incest? Also, she's the older sister and by a few years yeah? She seems quasi-pained by it but absolutely without going into the technicalities of this unless he was pure muscle even as a kid and forced her, she'd have been the predator if she was of an age you can legitimately call anyone that.

I'm guessing it's a reference to incest as a sub-sub-plot in Gothic literature? Or is she toying with him?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 4, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

An interesting point of comparison is Donna Tartt's The Secret History, also ostensibly about [spoiler]a middle class outsider making friends with a posh college student, and then following them through the questionable moral circumstances that arise from wanting to preserve or attain high status

The absolute best version of this story is a book called This Side of Paradise by Fitzgerald. The protagonist isn't really middle class in the colloquial sense because his parents were high society and he grew up privileged until his mid-teens but his family is broke by the time he starts at Princeton. (Maybe because it's semi-autobiographical? I don't know his life but most of his work is.)

I like it a ton more than The Great Gatsby and I think it's considered the superior work by critics/scholars. I know this is the movie thread but I have to recommend it. And it'd actually make a fine film with the right director & cast.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

No neither of those and I don't think there is an adaptation out there. Sorry if I wrote it in a confusing way.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Do comedy specials count as movies? Because if so... I've got little to nothing for you.

Dave Chappelle has one out. He takes a break in the middle of a less than one hour performance to smoke a cigarette. I don't mean that he pauses for a moment to light one up and then talks to the audience while smoking. I mean that there's a 'We'll be right back in a few minutes after I've gone outside and gotten some nicotine in me' cut. Yeah.

Rob Schneider released Woke Up in America, where the witty gentleman does the very brave and unique thing of calling out progressive cultural shifts. Hard hitting, clever commentary includes suggesting that if you have junk you're a dude and if you don't have junk you're a chick. Apparently. This one I haven't seen and am obviously not going to.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The best performance given by a Coppola was Sofia's daughter getting on TikTok and casually talking about how she's grounded because she used her parents' black card to book a helicopter to take her and her friends to summer camp and yeah it's like $16,000 but it was Brooke's & Courtney's birthdays and this would be their gift and I didn't even ask for anything for my birthday and it's not like they need the money and don't you want me to be popular mom and dad??

It was either performance art or a glimpse into a world I won't get a better view of anytime soon.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Escobarbarian posted:

You made up like the entire second half of that sentence

Haha yeah. I did switch perspectives when I got to the part I was unsure of, although I had 16k in my head for some reason. And I guess even the camp thing wasn't exactly right. But I didn't think it mattered because: I was fairly sure it's performance art given that this, i.e. chartering a helicopter to take a girl to camp, takes place in a Sofia Coppola film (except it's Stephen Dorff doing it for his screen daughter).

Unless it's something that Hollywood parents sometimes actually do for their kids and both baby Coppola and the movie scene were inspired by it.

Jay Rust posted:

iirc she recognized her nepo baby status

I watched it again and she says her parents don't let her have social media because they don't want her to be a nepo kid. Close enough though.

And I actually LOLed at being basically 'My parents don't want me to be spoilt' *is grounded, but gets babysitter's boyfriend to go fetch vodka and pasta sauce to make a dish for the TikTok account I'm not supposed to have*

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 5, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I have prosopagnosia* and really didn't recognize the best James Bond.

*It's bad. If I'm giving away anything you can put on a fake mustache or even just a hat and come straight round again like that gag in movies and shows. Patients think I'm a tremendous pompous a-hole until I explain the situation.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

therattle posted:

So why do we think you’re a tremendous pompous a-hole?

(Only kidding, I think you’re great!)

Well thank you! But I have gotten things wrong here in this thread for the same reason.

Like just right now I thought Mulligan was the little girl in Atonement. Which, what a story. I'm not breaking any new ground but it's worth the reminder that it's not a story about some foggey rich people a century ago but a story about the consequences of one's behaviour at an age where you still think & act like a small child half the time and have zero life experience but most would find you old enough to know better and it'd be hard to forgive yourself (since you still recognize that younger you as basically the same person as you now unlike maybe how you'd treat someone just 3 or 4 years younger as a different proto-you) even if the end result wasn't as bad as it was. I expect we all have bad dreams about this kind of thing.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 6, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

My secret shame is that I don't find butts, buttholes, farting, or feces funny at all.

It's not because I find them gross. My job has me with a finger up tushies all the time, often feeling stool with only a thin glove in between. Maybe that's why it's not not a laughfest? But I have to pretend when I'm around others or they'll think I'm a prude.

e: I am utterly in love with hearing angry/frustrated women telling people to suck their dicks and find it both much funnier and cuter than even other people who chuckle do.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 7, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The Peccadillo posted:

Are you an autistic proctologigist?

Proctologist? No. But that's not the only kind of doctor that sticks fingers in butts all the time. Pretty much anybody but a psychiatrist, dermatologist, ophthalmologist and the like will have to and even trainees in those specialties will end up doing it occasionally on in-patient wards.

Autistic? People close to me have recommended I get tested (specifically for Asperger's when that was a distinct diagnosis) but the joke is on them: I have, several times, since I was in elementary school. And the result is that I have papers to show I'm not which I can bring out when the topic comes up (which I admit is an extremely suspicious thing to do).

e: To write something that fits the thread, people make fun of the concept of Thing: The Novelization of the Thing Movie Based on The Novel Thing By Author but are there real examples? The closest I think I've seen are special editions of the original novel that change the names of characters and maybe cut some chapters to fit the movie, a still from which replaces the cover.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 7, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: on rereading I see you were asking about a different kinda thing, but I still think it's notably weird

Those are excellent and I lol'ed

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

If you keep making abridged versions of abridged versions you end up with what people unfairly claim Hemmingway does:

I.T. is just a freeze-frame of the clown holding a rocket launcher that reads Abuse, Bullying, Puberty, Small Town Ennui, Life Passing You By, Unmet Expectations, Fear of Growing Up, and Terrors of Childhood on the sides.

A Tale of Two Cities outright ends after the first lines.

Anyway I think SimonChris wins. But is also a huge dork for knowing about that one.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 7, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Musing on two quasi-related films:

The Guardian is reporting that kids are doing the dance and music from the Saltburn ending for TikTok, in their own US mansions, UK great houses, and French palaces. Not in the nude because it's a Chinese social network but it seems that people watched that scene and only thought 'I have a nicer home'. (True, plenty could be filming somewhere they don't really live, like rich uncle Sir Hebry's hall in the Cotswalds or a wing in a palace normally booked for Weddings they rented for one hour only.)

and

In Killing of a Sacred Deer the event that made me shudder the most was the anesthesiologist, a long-time friend of the family, knowing they're in trouble revealing patient information for a handjob from a woman who he's known for years and years but hasn't shown any kind of carnal interest in until that point. What else could he be bribed with? Fake a clinical study for a foot message? Skip your op ahead of the line in return for a finger up his rear end. I'm wondering if it wasn't meant to be out of nowhere. Like he gets pleasure from degradibg his friend not the half-hearted hj.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 10, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Had the chance to see Self Reliance, and it was interesting. Some of the choices made sense only when I learned that Jake Johnson also wrote and directed the film he stars in.

To be honest it was somewhat grating for a long moment until Alison Brie hits the scene. There's just some general amateurish elements like how he agrees to be a part of the game because his life is boring and he'll do anything to get out of his rut on the one hand, but his long-term partner left him because he wants to do the same boring things over and over and won't try anything new?

Anna Kendrick doesn't kill it. She's fine. But I hate to say it, she overacts a little (although it could be the script). But the mini Silver Linings Playbook told in 30 minutes (that the trailer makes it seem will be the whole movie) is cute. And the film picks up from there even when she makes her exit.

They could have gone really loving dark by not having the lights come on and instead he's in the large empty room, and it's left ambiguous whether the show producers just didn't want to pay him, or it was all in his head. But while that would work better than the actual ending from a cinematic viewpoint, it would turn the film into a look at the ways mental illness affects the ability to maintain housing and employment and it would be absolutely improper to do that.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 13, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hollismason posted:

I watched Self Reliance and honestly it wasn't too bad. It was enjoyable.

If you didn't look it up yourself, One million Danish kroner is about 145 thousand USD. The choice of currency was spot on because it's one that obviously won''t make him rich (and will be partially offset by him losing his job and having to provide for his new friend) without it being an outright premeditated scam or absurd (e.g. Here's your one million Zimbabwean dollars!).

The main character had the potential to be interesting. But it's not really explored and some of it seems contradictory. Is he the wild-card gently caress-up, or the staid low-level white collar man? Is he dying of boredom, or does he hate trying new things? Is he super lonely, or doesn't want to meet new people? He gives two different explanations for why he joined the game and while they're not mutual exclusive they're not the same.

Honestly what will stick with me after watching is the desire to see Anna Kendrick play a similar role in a quirky film with a non-traditional romance, but this time take it down two notches. It's hard of course. Too little and you're just basically playing Zoey Deschanel's real life public persona. Too much and you're bordering on a caricature. But there's a sweet spot and she brushes up against the latter a bit too much. It's not just the script I don't think. Like her expressions and voice work are a tad too much and it's distracting.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Is it a decent movie?

I want to have a stellar film for every actor known to be mediocore, in my pocket, ready to go so I can be a contrarian hipster (or whatever word replaced it) when someone makes a joke like 'I'd rather watch a Kevin James movie than spend one more minute here'.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

CelticPredator posted:

Jody Hill came from The Footfist Way with Danny McBride. It’s amazing you should check that out next.

It's apparently a fine film, but it made Danny McBride into a weird form of character actor and it only works half the time.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'd believe Michael Shannon is 67 years old if you told me.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I'm backing The Crime is Mine if you can find it with subtitles or have a ~B2 (maybe B1) understanding of French.

Well acted. Over the top but in a nice way: just enough to take the edge off the serious nature of the setup. Also the two leads look just so, so cute in the period clothes and courtroom outfits.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

YaketySass posted:

Yeah, I saw it somewhat by default and it was a decent comedy. You can instantly tell it's an adaptation of a classic vaudeville play but if it ain't broken, etc.

I think that if we had more of these in this style (whether period or not) in the past few years then perhaps it wouldn't be getting the same superlative praise. But it is quite well made and very fun.

Another quirky period comedy set in Europe (well, England anyways) is Wicked Little Letters. That's if it ever finally comes out. But when it started getting broader reviews by more critics the average fell quite a bit from 'This looks very good' to 'Maybe I'll enjoy it, I'll play the first little bit and see'.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Robert Pattisson isn't in anything that's officially planned to come out in the next few years it seems and that makes me not super happy.

My favourite story of his which I admit he may well have made up but it's funny regardless was that he had a stalker while filming in Europe and after getting both bored doing nothing and frustrated with avoiding her he asked like 'Look, if you agree to get patted down by security and I take you wherever you want to go for dinner will that satisfy you long enough to give me some space?' And then they went and she never contacted him again because well stars are actually boring most of the time.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Is he still a practicing Catholic? That kind of anger doesn't come from a "lapsed" catholic or an atheist. It's not mocking how God would be if He were real it's being super pissed at the one you believe does.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

What are your favourite films where it becomes a completely different movie halfway through. The main characters die off or just disappear and new characters are introduced. Or a drama becomes an action flick.

An example of this, although perhaps not a stellar movie, is Better Watch Out. It starts off as a babysitter and her charge fleeing from a home invader. Then it turns out there was no home invader. It was staged by the kid and his friend maybe to impress the girl because he's into her. Then when she reacts poorly (like anyone would) and doesn't see it as a romantic gesture, he moves on to torturing her for the third and fourth acts.

A movie I actually liked and won't spoil the name of because it is just a stellar film you might come across eventually is Cabin in the Woods. For those who are deciding whether to hover over, think teenagers acting like in a typical horror movie after finding a scary tome and then it turns out there's a reason for that.

Bonus points if the change-up is seemingly unintentional.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sorry I know this isn't a movie but I always love talking about this.

Nostromo is a novel that most people neglect in favour of some of Joseph Conrad's other works. But it's considered his best (and plausibly one of the best works in English period) by many academics and critics.

In the first part, Nostromo is a character that appears only in the talk of other characters with bigger roles. And he is talked about as a combination saint and superhero. He's a war hero and beloved by all. The rich love him because he handles their problems. The poor love him because he's generous. The politicians love him because his presence dampens discontent in the plebs. Patriots love him because they think he secretly supports the revolution. He makes one appearance in person to show that his reputation is accurate. But it's not from his point of view.

Then when you finally really meet him as the POV character he's a broken shell of a man who has become someone else entirely.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 24, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mckenna Grace might have her names in inverse order but she's spectacular and I'm counting down the days she turns an age where she can be cast as something other than precocious child or student.

She's been called a nepo baby and it's like 1/10th true in that her dad is an orthopaedic surgeon but there are tons of people with better connections and and loads more money who don't make it. It's 100% a talent thing.

Plus unless her dad was quite old to become a father he would have still been a medical student (making a large negative salary) or a resident (basically making the same as a waiter in LA).

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I didn't get a chance to catch Dune in theatres. But soon enough I watched on a big enough screen. And I secretly didn't enjoy it that much,

Now to prepare for Part Two I am watching it on my laptop and it's just about phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I always scratch my head at movies that have synopses mixing a quirky but understandable situation with another one. Then the trailer throws you an extra couple of side plots.

Like recently I came across: The struggles and triumphs of a diehard Liverpool fan who has lost most of his vision from watching comes on television up close.

Then the trailer is like cutting between

'I've always supported the team. Even when it took what's most important. My sight.'

'I can't see the scoreboard, but I can see a winning season on the cards.'

[being told that the bank can't approved his hone repair loan to fix his caved in ceiling]
'I'll make due. I always have.'

'Hello brother. What's it been? Ten? Twenty years?'

On its own I'd figure the synopsis is meant to convey that this is a semi-art film. But with the trailer I just presume they didn't have enough ideas for a whole movie.