Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

null_pointer posted:

Silly question, probably the wrong place for it, feel free to kick me out if needed, etc ...

... but name me an actor in a given role whose character moves from goofy to menacing, naturally.

I'm not talking "the psychopath who occasionally tells a joke" like Michael Mando in Far Cry or Ledger's Joker, but someone normally gregarious, who occasionally lets the mask slip.

I don't know why I'm asking, just that i honestly can't think of any and I'm sure as soon as someone posts an answer I'm going to feel dumb as poo poo for not remembering them :(

Andy Serkis as Gollum? Or heck, the one scene with Ian Holm as Bilbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Is Reacher as good as Warrior? I've only seen the latter and it's top tier action TV

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i thought the big shift the last season of Barry took was a huge miscalculation but the first three and a half or so seasons were so good

I gave up about halfway through the fourth season and think I was right to do so

A lot of shows end so poorly it's better not to stick them out. BCS is a good example

I mostly stopped watching TV after flipping out about game of thrones and Mr robot ending so awful. Movies, worst case you're just out a few hours

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
SMG, what issues did you have with the first Aquaman and how were they addressed in A2?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Aquaman 1 was a troubled production, where they evidently had to make a lot of changes in pre-production and beyond. You can get a sense of the original concept by watching the darn Snyder Cut, where the Aquaman is a bitter alcoholic because of his exile from the land of straightfaced science fantasy. When 'grimdark' became a meme, the studio obviously panicked at the premise of 'bitter alcoholic Aquaman' and consequently tried to 'lighten the tone' through such methods as literally just dialing up the saturation by 50%. The biggest change was, of course, making Aquaman into a wisecracking party doofus who loves beer in a goofy way.

So that probably explains why the actually-released film features reams and reams of shoddy expository dialogue and conspicuously 'punched-up' comedy stuff at the expense of the setting. The nadir, for me, is a shot of Aquaman's 'stats' put up on a jumbotron, where the joke is that they're insulting stats. Jot note "he's smelly", or whatever. It's a joke ripped from the studio cut of Suicide Squad, which was itself ripped from the Guardians Of The Galaxy teaser trailer. Besides it being hack poo poo, why are the Atlanteans writing in English?

Aquaman 2 avoids most of these issues, intentionally or not, by making the villain and his sidekick the protagonists for the first third of the movie. After the extremely lovely pre-titles recap/prologue, you mostly get to watch these dudes go on adventures, battle monsters, do a heist.... Then Patrick Wilson shows up and steals the show. Aquaman pretty much becomes the comic relief of his own movie, and nearly all the jokes stem from him being an rear end in a top hat.

And I mean that in a good way: Jason Momoa sells that role without undercutting anything, and the setting itself is more coherent as a result. Instead of constantly vascillating between dramatic fantasy and wakka-wakka poo poo that undercuts it, Aquaman 2 takes inherently-silly pulp subject matter (robot squids, costumed henchmen, spooky glowing skelingtons, etc.) and consistently presents them as legitimate threats.

Also, because it's very much an Aquaman Part 2, the exposition's mostly out of the way and you can just watch these super-guys do stuff. It suffers as a standalone film but, if you treat the two as a single 5-hour movie (as with the Matrix sequels), the addition of this second half increases the overall quality by like 75%.
Well heck, sounds like they have a hidden gem on their hands.

Thanks for the detailed writeup.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

The Peccadillo posted:

Assassin 33 AD. hosed up they didn't call it like The Last Gospel or something

The wildest part of that movie is
one guy being like wait, Jesus just spoke to me in English. That's completely impossible, we are a thousand years before our language, oh poo poo he's actually the son of God. And the other character is just like nah, it's a coincidence! And the plot moves forward

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it also might be a bunch of movies like Sonic that aimed for a Christmas release but got delayed ended up releasing then and did great.

I think Hollywood outsmarts itself with release dates and eventually a popular movie gets a "bad" date and does just fine. I had to check but it looks like August didn't really have a big movie until 2001's Rush Hour 2, which honestly seems like a weird release date for that after the first one's success.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gatts posted:

Saw Fighter and man, the India propaganda and nationalism and whatnot lately in their blockbusters is high to cartoonish levels. Shouldn't be surprised tho considering how many American movies I've seen.

That being said, Hrithik Roshan and Deepika Padukone are such beautiful people. They're mesmerizing on the screen.

I'm going to have to catch it, where'd you see it?. Padukone is incredible in Pathaan & Jawan with Shah Rukh Khan, I'm interested to see how she does with Roshan who is even better looking.

I have to admit I'm more jealous of Khan & Roshan's hair than anything else. How do they do it?!

Edit: don't spoil that Tiger 3 moment! It's the most incredible scene I've seen in years because I couldn't believe they were going to commit to the bit but then, wow, they did

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 13, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gatts posted:

I saw it at a Cinemark theater. The one I like often has international films play

Well heck, I just found out there's a "cine lounge" by me that plays nothing but foreign movies like this and has fighter. Maybe I can drag my wife to it. This theater seems to have nothing but Indian movies that take forever to come out on streaming

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 13, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

FreudianSlippers posted:

Your dad rocks.

Echoing this, I'm incredibly impressed.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gaius Marius posted:

He's 100% correct

I remember a LOT of scenes from watching his movies only one time - Polytechnique, Incendienes, Enemy, Prisoners all had very visual depictions where the lines being spoken didn't really matter, let alone his bigger budget work.

RE: Brotherhood of the Wolf, I only caught it a few years ago and enjoyed it. I believe it's also the movie where Belluci and Cassel met but could be wrong. I do wonder what happened to French cinema - you had that, Jeunet's stuff throughout the 90s and 00s, and then .... I'm completely unaware of anything after that. Did their government stop funding the arts or something at the same time Korea jump started their industry?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Hundreds of Beavers is the movie of the decade. Nonstop slapstick action comedy. Incredible stuff, if you have a kid, absolutely watch it with them.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Important Update for Chicagolanders:
The movie 'Hundreds of Beavers' is playing on April 10th at Music Box at 9:30 p.m. Everyone who can, should attend.
https://www.hundredsofbeavers.com/tickets/

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys ever watch movies in several sittings? I just found out a friend does this regularly and it sounds insane

Almost always since about 5 years ago. It stinks but sometimes it's the only way to see stuff. For a while I was watching movies on my phone on my commute, 45 minutes of train rides each way, then eventually got in the habit of watching an hour or so a night after I get my kid to bed.

I think it's why I've gravitated so much towards action movies, because they don't lose as much when you lose tension. Whereas horror, suspense, or good dramas often suffer a lot when broken up.

I started doing this in November of 2019 and have seen just under 400 movies since then, I doubt I would have even seen 50 without doing it this way.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 9, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Anyone have suggestions for gif capture on movies from streaming sites? I've been using gifcam for years, and suddenly it isn't working for both prime video and Hoopla. I usually do one or two gifs with short reviews I send to some friends and this is driving me nuts. Am I just SOL when using said sites?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Escobarbarian posted:

I really want to watch Hundreds of Beavers but it isn’t out theatrically in my country yet. Should I wait for a cinema experience or will it still hit watching the web version at home

It's a blast to see at home, I haven't seen it in a theater

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Mordiceius posted:

Watched American Fiction last night. That film is loving fantastic.

I just caught it. I really liked how the two stories didn't intersect - the layered family drama represented the books that Monk was writing with no audience, but had a lot of depth to them.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I caught Female Prisoner Scorpion last night and was blown away by the camera choices and movement throughout. I had no idea how exploitative it was going to be and was really surprised at how much talent went into making a movie about that kind of subject matter. Wow.

It probably helped I watched it one day after Poor Things, which I really disliked because of that movies choice of lenses. Ugh.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

DeimosRising posted:

definitely check out the sequels, especially the second one

FreudianSlippers posted:

Amazing series even if the subject manner does make it hard to recommend in polite company.

Pure cinema but also absolute sleaze.

For sure, looking forward to the second.

I made two gifs of what I really enjoyed from the first movie

death stare

And the ZOOM OUT ZOOM IN poo poo was delightful

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

DeimosRising posted:

definitely check out the sequels, especially the second one

Man, I don't even know how to interpret the stage play aspects of the second female prisoner movie, what fun. A bunch of very surprising scenes for sure

I absolutely loved the fantastical lighting of even the normal scenes, to go along with all the surreal stuff. Theres just so many great scenes, I found a bunch of excellent gifs right here
https://meikokaji.net/film/scorpion-jailhouse41/gallery-gifs.html

I don't want to embed, but
https://meikokaji.net/images/film/scorpion-jailhouse41/gifs/jailhouse41-gif2.gif

Possibly the greatest wipe in history?

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

DeimosRising posted:

didn't even have to click to know what you were referring to lol

I jumped off the couch and hollered when it happened, I couldn't believe it. I can't remember the last time I did that