Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Bright Bart posted:

How to Have Sex became available very recently here and we watched it before looking at the fireworks. Those were a much needed palette cleanser let me tell you!

I didn't understand one part of the narrative, though. Tara (the protagonist) hints to her friend at the end that her first time wasn't consensual. She was clearly assaulted more recently, but she first told her girls that she slept with the boy presumably in that scene where she kind of mumbles her OK for whatever they did while they're lying on the beach. Was she referring to that and not the later more blatant rape? Or did they not end up having sex on the beach and the rape was her first time? I mean, it doesn't matter all that much. Your first time can be spectacular and something you fully initiated; if that same person wakes you up a few days later with penetration that's bound to be traumatic. But it was just confusing.

I think the simplest interpretation is that Tara's describing the entire experience undivided rather than talking about the first night in isolation. But we know she felt off about that first night, we saw her walking back stunned through the apocalyptic looking Strand. And there was lots of bad stuff going down: they're both very drunk, she wasn't very keen on his advances, he's proved to be a lot stronger than her, she's on the rebound after Badger betrayed her, and she's feeling great pressure from her more experienced friends to do it. She's had her agency chipped away from all angles. I'm sure even Tara didn't know how she felt about it straight away - I think the second night crystallised it for her. But I'm sure the story intentionally placed that first night on the beach in the murkiest ground - if you come away thinking about it then I think the film's done its job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Escobarbarian posted:

I didn’t read any posts after this but NAKED, and then SECRETS & LIES

These are the places to go next. If you liked Secrets and Lies, then Life is Sweet or Career Girls will keep you on a roll. If you want something different, maybe Peterloo?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Just watched First Cow, lovely little film. Was fun to spot so many faces in the cast - like seeing Alia Shawkat in a bit part at the start - what a lovely choice. Then half way through we get man of the hour Toby Jones (who just starred in a runaway hit TV series in the UK, which has thrust a real-life post office scandal into the spotlight). He's always great, but he's suddenly very high profile. And then just a little bit later there's Lily Gladstone, surely the favourite for this year's Best Actress Oscar. I mean, it was a great cast in 2019, but in 2024 you wonder whether this kind of indie could even get all of them...

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Carpet posted:

I watched that recently as well as it featured Toby Jones and I had only heard good things about Kelly Reichardt films, though I hadn't realised the husband from Past Lives was also one of the leads (and I did the Leo meme for the brief Lily Gladstone appearance). I definitely recommend watching Certain Women if you haven't seen it - I'd like to catch up on more of Reichardt's but there's not many in print in the UK.

Oh I knew I recognised him from somewhere. Added Certain Women on the Mubi watchlist, and they helpfully pointed out they have Night Moves streaming right now - so that's one you can potentially get in the UK.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Coda to the Movie of the Year thread: when I was thinking about my list, I pencilled Return to Seoul in very high. But when it came to articulating why, I couldn't clearly express it, and I ended up ranking it below films I could more easily justify. So I gave it a rewatch to see if I could figure it out again.

Second viewing confirmed my instinct on it - I still really like it, could have placed it higher. I think the most compelling element for me was the constant jeopardy I felt, the lead character radiated some kind of dangerous energy that could erupt at any moment. It kept me reeled in for the most part. By the end of the film, she had gone on a arc that left her more centred and calmer. I shouldn't begrudge the growth, she earned it. And there were important emotional beats still to come, and I could see lots of places where the film was making nice callbacks to the initial scenes. But without that energy that kept me riveted in the earlier parts of the film, I just wasn't quite as invested.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

The way The Leftovers did incredibly retro production logos and even turned the clock back 50 years on the film certification slide was a great gimmick. Getting a kinda-meta joke in early, and at the same time getting you into the atmosphere the film wanted to create.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

The Holdovers, I guess

Dang, now I look like a fool, but yeah, that's the one.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

hot take: yorgos lanthimos is a poor man's peter greenaway

I mean The Falls is a great idea, and executed well from moment to moment, but it's over an hour too long for it's own good! I don't agree with people who say The Lobster drags in its second half, but even if I did I'd concede it's doing something different to the first half.

Rewatched Drive My Car this weekend, still an absolutely brilliant watch.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Barry Lyndon is only five minutes longer than Oppenheimer, but when I saw it last month the cinema was good enough to respect the interval it includes. Same back when I saw 2001 actually - appears the secret is that nobody argues with your request for an interval if you are Stanley Kubrick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Bright Bart posted:

Someone had to point out to me that all of the main suspects in Glass Onion reference irl people, not just host Elon Musk. But I'm not sure to what extent that was intentional and to what extent e.g. Dave Bautista just plays a generic MRA/PUA YouTuber and Andrew Tate happens to be a disgusting MRA/PUA YouTuber.
Johnson has said that even Elon Musk in that film is not just Musk but also Zuckerberg or Bezos, an archetype of a modern tech CEO. So you can take or leave any reference points to real people.