Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

You can’t just let Nazis co-opt a number lmao. That’s fuckin stupid

If only T Swift had been born 1 year earlier she’d have a different album title and that’s what everyone would associate ‘88 with. Unfortunately everyone born that year who uses it in a user name somewhere is now a secret Nazi instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Read this in the Golden Girls theme song jingle

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

(hello Snyder fans)

hi :)

NieR Occomata posted:

entire rest of post

hey! :mad:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Seriously tho I don't think I've seen a single Snyder fan on these forums praise the random one-off world-building elements of Army of the Dead over like, the acting of Bautista, the character interactions between him and his daughter, etc

Not denying there are people who do that but I would advise against engaging with those people unless you're doing it to feel superior, which hey I admit, you are superior to those bone heads

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gonz posted:

Josh Ryder used to be a piece of poo poo. But not anymore.

But he used to be!

You think that’s slicked back??

That’s pushed back

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Judging Dakota Johnson for poo poo her parents did is loving stupid.

But Dakota directly benefited from her father's creepy, border-line predatory behavior by being born as a result of it! Pretty hosed up IMO

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

checkplease posted:

Is this lack of turtle name knowledge after watching 3 of their films a bit?

Just typical goon cgi turtle face blindness

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"only a contrarian would argue that we shouldn't kill a sentient creature that is frightening by human standards" fuckin yeesh

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

A whole lot of people listing actual villains in the replies.

https://x.com/RealEmirHan/status/1761490328463565019?s=20

Like Dolores Umbrage in Harry Potter, and freaking Humbert Humbert in Lolita, and Denzel Washington's character in Training Day.

Edit: I forgot how many people hated the wife in Breaking Bad.

I mean starting the thread with a victim of severe abuse who never really does anything bad to Forest is not setting an amazing tone to begin with

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

I only saw the thread because someone retweeted it with a picture of Rory Gilmore, which I kinda believe.

haha yeah that's a fair one, although I feel like tho Rory sucks it's more that everyone around her sets her up as the Most Special and Perfect Person of All Time and this really fucks her head up which explains why in the sequel mini-series she has no real clue what she wants to do and ends up getting knocked up by Star Wars cosplayer

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Would you really be okay with a gender-swapped Forrest and Jenny romance?

A fair point, although i think a gender-swapped version would have more complications that would further skew the power dynamics (e.g. I doubt a female version of Forrest would fare as well having less avenues to succeed and become a billionaire national hero, a male Jenny would have been the one to be drafted to go to Vietnam and may have been more likely to turn to violent crime, etc)

Although I'm a little suspect that a blue checkmark was calling Jenny "villainous" because they believe she sexually assaulted a developmentally challenged man. Most people seem to vilify Jenny because she is promiscuous, because she is a drug user, and often because she didn't give in to Forrest's romantic advances sooner; i.e. they just hate her because she is a woman. A Jenny who stayed "faithful" to Forrest and married him sooner would likely be fine with a lot more people.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Bubba Gump Shrimp becomes a success and Dan invests their money in Apple, which makes them rich.

Definitely in-character for Forrest that "....and then I became a billionaire" is treated like a minor afterthought/footnote in his story.

Yeah admittedly it may have just been tens or hundreds of millions and not a full billy, especially in the early 90s. Forrest calls himself a "gozillionaire" and says they've got "more money than Davy Crockett" but it's hard to gauge what would impress him because he literally just ends up living in the house he grew up in, he's not a man of luxuries

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent" - Star Wars Man, from the movie 'Star Wars'

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The mom's annoyingly involved boyfriend in Liar Liar obviously

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Air Skwirl posted:

Isn't that one of those Rom Coms where the rival for the lead is actually just a completely decent dude?

Yeah he is totally a decent dude and (Jim) Carrey's jealousy of him is obviously portrayed as his own failing. Tbf he isn't given a last minute heel turn or an unceremonious ejection from the movie once his usefulness is done, he legitimately does have to move away for work and a that's a major plot point of the movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I admittedly haven’t seen it but if I was running from a master archer and they chose to shoot me in the rear end instead of through the back of the neck I’d probably be pretty psyched i got to live

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I also don’t think it’s particularly weird and libertarian to point out that people are implying the capitalist system when speaking of consumerism and not just “getting stuff”. Nobody considers having a rock collection or whatever consumerism.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There is no conceivable way that qualifies as “so bad it’s good” unless it’s immediately followed by a video of the filmmaker being savagely and repeatedly kicked in the nuts

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Black Sheep is a big step down from Tommy Boy tbf and the dynamic between Spade and Farley is not as strongly defined

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Might be a stab in the dark but 90s brunette with prominent cheekbones who later did network procedurals made me think Marcia Gay Harden

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

Kubrick's 60s are a contender with Spartacus, Lolita, Dr Strangelove, and 2001. For me that's A, B, S, S+. Coppola still wins overall though.

E: and if we're just going by any given 10 year span we could drop Spartacus and Lolita and add A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon. poo poo, this might be the one. S, S+, A/S, S. Plus writing and producing for all 4.

E2: I can't math, 12 year gap between Strangelove and Barry Lyndon.

Going by decade Hitchcock released 11 movies in the 50's including Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, Rear Window (those last two in the same year), Vertigo and North by Northwest. If you go by 10 year stretch you unfortunately lose Strangers on a Train but gain Psycho and The Birds.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This is literally what a college friend pulled during another friends wedding. Drove from Indianapolis to Pittsburgh then left basically right after the toasts because he need to drive home to let his dog out

(although come to think of it, he is a pretty big anime fan too, tho the incident didn't directly involve anime that I know of)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like making the caveat “eating or performing labor” makes the category overly broad, like if you asked for a movie that “didn’t have anyone in a car or wearing clothes” the former is probably extremely easy (like any period piece) while the latter is insane mode