Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone interested in a game based on a movie?

Edit: Apparently the Mickey horror game is being made by right wing nuts, the 88 in the title should’ve been a tip-off. Deleted

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Look at all this gold dripping from the fountain of inspiration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO_yCuaXsGQ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Apparently the Mickey horror game is being made by right wing nuts, the 88 in the title should’ve been a tip-off. Deleted

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Past Lives is not free on streaming yet

Has anyone seen it yet. It it worth buying on Blu-ray blind

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Redbox is still around! 3 miles from me

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

Also what would be a good name for this style of movie that I can use to derisively refer to it. Like an "I'm Just So Awesome the Rules Don't Apply To Me" movie

I loved Gattaca but after a decade I started thinking hey this guy with a heart condition that could die at any time lied his way into a year long space mission where he could jeopardize the whole thing by dying, all so he could feel better about himself

I dunno if it’s related but the “I’m destined to win” line of thinking is why I don’t care for most sports movies and why my favorite ones are the ones where the main character doesn’t win (Rocky, Crying Fist, Bad News Bears (although that one hasn’t aged well for other reasons))

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have a different read on this film than the prevailing one that it’s a career retrospective for Miyazaki.

It’s worth noting that the Japanese title for the picture is “How Do You Live?”, in reference to a Japanese children’s book that was heavily censored during WWII. That question, how do you live, reverberates throughout the film: how do you live in an unacceptable world, when everyone around you is complicit and the status quo is lethal?

Rather than being a movie that muses about creation, the central concern of Boy and the Heron is the necessity of righteous destruction. At the start, inter-imperialist warfare claims the life of the main character’s mother. His father remarries to his mother’s sister and continues his work perpetuating the war machine; the Zero fighter planes are literally carried home and laid on the protagonist’s doorstep. Amidst the inner turmoil the boy experiences from this hypocrisy and savagery, another world emerges, one where he can glimpse his late mother. It’s a world that was created by someone who learned so much that it rendered him unable to coexist with our world anymore, a position similar to the protagonist’s.

But the fantasy world is unbalanced, cruel, propagates itself unnaturally, and the protagonist refuses to perpetuate it. After, the boy returns to our own world. When asked what he’ll do from there, he commits to trying to reconnect and establish stronger bonds with his friends and loved ones, rejecting the despondence and alienation that governed his relationships previously.

I think this coexists with the career retrospective reading

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GateOfD posted:

Boy and The Heron isn't my favorite miyazaki movie.

but as a 'for real, this is my last one' farewell piece, its a perfect film to end his career

In the boy and heron thread i compared it to The Tempest because it preemptively depicts the end of ghibli studio much like how Prospero is an autobiographical depiction of Shakespeare retiring and proclaiming anime was a mistake

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Watching "The Man Who Would Be King" for the first time and drat. Had no idea Connery and Caine did a buddy-colonist flick - or that they could look like they're having this much fun in a film. I'm not sure I've seen Connery express this much uncertainty in a role before. Used to him always be either an authority figure or someone with a certainty to their character. Seeing him play someone who's weak luck into godhood is fun.

Weird film to watch nowadays as the story relies on the trope of "white guys easily take over ignorant nonwhite people", but is self aware enough to never present Connery and Caine as anything but bad guys. Skilled enough soldiers, but also lucky in multiple instances. Feel like it wasn't coming from a place of endorsement at the very least, but I don't know enough about Houston or 1975 to know how much consideration that stuff got.

Really neat flick.

I got to see this in a theater with Connery presenting. I think it was close to the time he retired. He looked so frail and old

Yeah I concur the movie isn’t endorsing their actions at all, it’s a “we were greedy and lost” story.

“Maybe colonizing isn’t so great” was already a thing in movies for decades by then

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Biopics should loudly proclaim every important character with a subtitle like Legend of galactic Heroes or Yakuza

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
And if subtitles seem clumsy, you can do it diagetically like Miss Marple did for Timothy Dalton

Or how Hot Fuzz did it for Timothy Dalton

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Green Knight has the same moral insight as Clockwork Orange

Cut off the carrot of a reward for good behavior at the end of the source material

Doing right should not be motivated by reward

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

So I'm beginning to think the volunteer for January isn't gunna get their thread up. Would someone like to volunteer to take on movie of the month on short notice?

Is there a theme

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Just caught The Untouchables as part of a Morricone retrospective. Woof. I did not like that. Corny schmaltzy comic-book-rear end movie. Awful script full of contrivance after contrivance. Morricone's score was great but way too heavy-handed, just like the rest of the film. Extremely prettily shot, but ruined by an extreme amount of DNR. Not a speck of grain on that sucker, and a few scenes with plastic faces.

The baby stroller scene actually made me laugh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
28 Decades Later

28 Centuries Later

28 Millenia Later

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Trainsspotting

Edit: oh poo poo I didn’t know they made a second movie already

Train3spotting

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Reacher’s muscles bend reality. They’re like a genie that grants wishes. Reacher will get arrested by a crooked cop who handcuffs him and puts him in the back of a cop car and tells him he’s going to murder Reacher. Reacher leans over to his muscles and whispers “I wish I could get out of this situation” and bam! He gets out of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He fills a similar niche as Fist of the North Star except he gets laid and got knocked out once

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jenny Agutter posted:

this panning split diopter shot in Come and See (1985) floored me, anyone know how they did it? presumably just mounted the split lens and panned over to it right? never seen anything like it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIiApN6cfg&t=7512s
starting at 2:05:12

Wild guess but maybe they shot it without panning with the girl in frame the whole shot, then zoomed in on the film and panned around

The typical tell-tale signs of zoom and pan (no motion blur) wouldn’t be noticed because the pan only goes a short distance and slowly

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Fellas does Reacher season 2 suck

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

I happen to know "The Hangover" is called "Very Bad Trip" in France, still in english. I bet there's a bunch of these

There are a ton, like this doesn’t even scratch the surface

https://www.rd.com/list/movies-hilarious-titles-in-other-countries/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What's the oldest age an actor was cast to play a regular high school student completely unironically?

Not counting biopics.

I think Angourie Rice is going to play high schoolers till she's 30

Shirley Henderson was 37 when she played 14 year old Moaning Myrtle in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Imagine my surprise when she showed up 15 years later in Okja as a middle aged executive assistant

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 26, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Air Skwirl posted:

There's a movie I think called "I Love You [girl's name]" and I don't know how old the lead actor was, but I remember thinking he was at least the oldest looking actor to play a high school student.

Beth Cooper?

Edit: sheesh

Edit: sheesh

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 26, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Well this is adorable

Yearbook from Lily Gladstone’s high school

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
When I watch scavengers reign I like to pretend it was art directed by Moebius

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

Watching The Green Knight

This movie is insanely beautiful already

Belongs on a top ten list of movies with awesome last second

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh just in time to pin a tail on Jurassic park chat

https://x.com/thamosdeaf/status/1752201956884426877?s=46

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Haven’t seen Poor Things yet

The Favorite is probably his most newcomer-friendly movie of the ones I’ve seen, it’s the least weird

Lobster is funniest, also most absurd. I think it was most on my wavelength

Killing of a Sacred Deer is extremely bleak but I also laughed out loud once and then felt embarrassed because the theater was silent

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sounds like academy screeners are all digital this year unless members call their union and ask for discs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nm I’ll put it in the trailer thread

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

And name another movie where the day is saved because the hero watches anime.

Not anime, but Galaxy Quest is adjacent

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Collateral was a mix of film and digital. I haven’t seen it in forever but I vaguely recall the picture quality being terrible sometimes and it was really jarring when they swapped

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I love movies. I also like not risking my health while COVID is still around, so I wear an N95 and glasses to the theater.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You know those scenes in movies where the lights are off and the main character is wondering if there’s a monster or not and when the lights come back on he’s surrounded by monsters

That’s what it’s like to google how many Hollywood actors are Australian

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
lol Super Bowl on Nickelodeon has cartoon characters doing commentary and reporting

https://x.com/popbase/status/1756844877403603394?s=46

https://x.com/jetsethan/status/1756840736795009419?s=46

https://x.com/popbase/status/1756849390856335740?s=46

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That’s just good opsec

Children can’t keep secrets

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Genshin cosplayers

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1757180101169430559?s=46

A cartoon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Nice

How do they get these films

Do theaters ignore instructions to return/destroy films, and then a couple decades later decide they’re taking up too much room?