Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can’t just let Nazis co-opt a number lmao. That’s fuckin stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You made up like the entire second half of that sentence

I really wish we got more of those tiktoks lmao they were hilarious

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Carpet posted:

And then play Pentiment if you want more monastic murder mysteries.

+1 this is an incredible game and writen/directed by a goon too!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I generally like The Boy and the Heron but it’s absolutely super frustrating how much of a like, shaggy dog story it becomes in the second half, constantly introducing new elements that while they or may not be good in themselves/have interesting subtext don’t seem to fit together to make something coherent. I like it more now than when I first saw it in October but I still think that scattered feeling stops it from being great. Very funny that he almost bankrupted his studio to make something that feels so completely subconscious and abstract tbh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lobster Henry posted:

What Mike Leigh film should I watch next? Ive seen:

Abigail’s Party
Vera Drake
Topsy Turvy
Happy Go Lucky
Mr Turner

I didn’t read any posts after this but NAKED, and then SECRETS & LIES

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Roth posted:

You're a moron.

Holy gently caress we finally agree on a thing

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do think the swing Barry took in the second half of that final season was overall a misstep but the last two episodes were still really good and I respect the ambition. The other three seasons are amazing throughout though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

A lot of shows end so poorly it's better not to stick them out. BCS is a good example

I mostly stopped watching TV after flipping out about game of thrones and Mr robot ending so awful. Movies, worst case you're just out a few hours

Nice troll post

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the Aquaman 2 trailers forgetting that Patrick Wilson was in Aquaman 1 so I was like “oh, it’s a new character, Aquaman’s long-lost brother” and it was only when I actually watched the movie I remembered he was literally the villain in the first one

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Scavengers Reign absolutely rules tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wonka is pretty good. They made him illiterate for some reason which is kinda weird. Also he makes a chocolate which cures low self-esteem which is the most unrealistic thing in a wildly fantastical movie

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah In the Know isn’t an amazing show (far too self-satisfied with its parody of woke people which makes sense given the Mike Judge connection) but the designs and animation are all really cool

So sad to hear about Gustafson. He was so fuckin talented

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Banger of a movie tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Orion and the Dark doesn’t really manage to transcend the limitations of the contemporary 3D animated kids movie stuff but it’s definitely a cut above the average, Kaufman adds a lot of clever humour and the metastory about storytelling is real good. I really don’t understand why Paul Walter Hauser is doing such a strong Seth Rogen impression though

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dakota not caring during promos is funny and good actually

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I also first discovered Dakota Johnson via Ben and Kate. It was a good show! And she’s great in Suspiria 2018 aka the best movie of 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Titanic also only just came out on UHD recently and it looks loving incredible. Maybe a little over-sharpened, I guess, if you care about that poo poo? But it’s easily one of my demo discs these days

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wrt Hitchcock I watched Notorious recently and holy poo poo that is probably a perfect movie

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

If anyone is still interested, here’s some pictures of the “Kinonik Studio” where my dad stores and works on the reels, and where he also does screenings every Wednesday night it seems. I was just talking to him about it - they used to do them at this dilapidated old theater in downtown Portland called “The Movies”, and then they were screening at a local art gallery called “Space” for a while, but that apparently wasn’t too functional. Now they screen here, and it sounds like it’s a pretty fun place to watch a movie with 30-40 folks in there together.

But anyway, here is the place and how it looks! The two girls in the panorama are apparently interns who just began there today, according to my dad. I’m actually a little envious, apparently one of them wanted to just live there full-time and sleep on the couch. I would too!

God drat this is sooooooo cool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sounds sick

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Help me decide which to watch:

Or

Dude Bro owns tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m a fan of Minchin but I honestly didn’t really like the songs in the Matilda musical much (outside of Revolting Children, which obviously rules). They were very samey.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love all of them but Us is my favourite (I’m a big fan of weird ambitious poo poo)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That poster has been popping up in several threads I read recently and I’m getting more and more sure they’re a troll

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is this the new GenChat bit

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saw Miracle Mile as part of a mystery movie marathon and everyone in the screen loved it. We were having a great time laughing at how ridiculous it was, basically an absurdist masterpiece. Then got home and saw a bunch of reviews about it being legitimately scary and effectively dramatic. It was insane. I love that movie but apparently what I love about it happened completely by accident.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
idk how they could have focused on Paul being a monster harder without flashing neon signs saying so tbh

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Do you guys ever watch movies in several sittings? I just found out a friend does this regularly and it sounds insane

Sometimes I have a nap in the middle of a movie if I’m really sleepy but otherwise nah. I have a friend who does but he has severe ADHD

Today I watched Deep End (really cool and wild) and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown (loving incredible, Almodóvar is the best)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

i rented logan on 4k bluray from my local video shop and i'm watching the noir b&w version. watched some saturday when i first got it. some yesterday morning, and some last night. MAYBE i'll finish tonight but no guarantees.

typically if a movie takes me that long to get through, it's probably something i'm not really that into. if it's a rewatch i just maybe mismanaged my time and i don't care as much so i'll get little chunks in here and there. but if it's a first time watch and i can't sit through it in at LEAST two sittings (one being preferred) then it doesn't pass the vibe check.

Logan is one of the most overrated movies of the last decade

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Satantango is goated but also its in three parts for a reason

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boy of Joy posted:

I recall there being 12 title card sections/parts, not 3? Also War and Peace is split up into 4 parts technically. That makes me wonder, when they screen these 7 hour movies in an actual theater do they do multiple intermissions?

Yeah, I saw Satantango in cinemas and it had two intermissions. And it was three discs on DVD (I assume it’s not as many on blu-ray)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the version of 2001 my work shows the intermission is literally baked into the movie

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

i do think that whenever anyone does bring it up it tends to get immediately compared to all other xmen/fox comic book movies, which maybe gives it an unfair advantage bc that pits it against a lot of absolute heat death of the universe levels of hot garbage movies.

yeah this was the big issue when it came out. everyone was obsessed with comparing it to the other x-men films and ignoring how it is as an actual standalone movie (not very good!). the dialogue is terrible, the cursing feels totally unnatural in a “oh so this is what people liked about Deadpool right????” way, the darker tone feels overly forced, and the third act is awful

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
honestly it’s like the fifth-ranked x-men movie at best

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

It was very hyped but I think Esco just doesn’t like it and that’s all this boils down too

well I wouldn’t think it was overrated if I liked it, yeah

it was definitely very very hyped when I came out, lots of people talking how it was a mature superhero movie finally!!!!! which is as nonsensical now as it was then

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Although I suppose if you're referring to Batman V Superman, I could understand, but I know you're not so I'd like to know what other post MCU big comic book movie characters got a dramatic gritty violent film because I'm having a bit of a hard time.

“dramatic gritty violent” is not the same as “mature”, I think is the key difference here

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Was Logan that mature? He fights an evil clone of himself. It seemed to me like a regular comic book movie but sad

But, you see, there is blood and Charlie Xavier says “gently caress”, which means it is mature and for a higher class of people than your regular card schlock, apparently

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At least two of those examples happen in Avengers movies as well lol

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Okay so you think the avengers movies count as mature films

Just wondering what your bar is lmfao

What are you talking about. I was suggesting that that means those scenes do not a mature film make. What’s goin on with you CP idk why you’re so offended on behalf of 2017 movie Logan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The writer of the zendaya tennis movie also wrote potion seller????

drat, I was already excited for it, but now