Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Cheers to my local library system for carrying Western and noir DVDs, jeers for not carrying blu-rays.

They know exactly who rents things from the library, and they are not 30-something Vinegar Syndrome enthusiasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The studio tried to get Philip K. Dick to write the novelization of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and he said he already did. They paid someone else to write one instead, then another person wrote 4 sequels to it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I read the Total Recall novelization last year for some reason. It's truly awful, but also fascinating. It attempts to make sense out of the alien technology and motivations present in the movie by bringing in lore. Which has to do with some truly bizarre giant intergalactic ants who connect "good" alien species to an intergalactic trade network, and allow bad ones to destroy themselves. It's told through a surreal ant-alien parable, and ends up being a kind of "weighing of the heart" for an entire civilization.

In the end it aalllllmost works, as weird as it is, because it actually does pretty much track with what we see on sceen. But is clearly too out there for what we see on screen. It's an insane chapter where Piers Anthony clearly watched the movie and immediately wrote out the first thing that came to his head and his editors didn't care enough about a Total Recall novelization (or didn't have the budget) to tell him to rewrite it. I would not be shocked if Piers wrote the whole thing in one continuous substance-induced haze ala L Ron Hubbard.

With another pass toning things down a little and integrating it more beyond just that one chapter, it could actually deepen what we see on screen. But based on the vast number of typos present in the printed book, multiple drafts clearly weren't in the cards.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 7, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, the aforementioned Blade Runner books. But they immediately betray the spirit of the movie by more or less resetting to status quo. The entire plot is also based on a production goof that was fixed in the Director's Cut.

The ET ride at Universal Studios is also a sequel to the movie. I wonder if there's any overlap with the book.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 7, 2024

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just caught The Untouchables as part of a Morricone retrospective. Woof. I did not like that. Corny schmaltzy comic-book-rear end movie. Awful script full of contrivance after contrivance. Morricone's score was great but way too heavy-handed, just like the rest of the film. Extremely prettily shot, but ruined by an extreme amount of DNR. Not a speck of grain on that sucker, and a few scenes with plastic faces.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Jennifer's Body and Young Adult are both terrific. Lisa Frankenstein looks super fun. I think she would have made a perfectly fun Barbie movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Highlander indeed kicks rear end. The worst thing about the sequels and spinoffs is that each and every one of them everyone fails to capture what is good about the first film.

I'd be okay if the sequels were similar but lesser, but they all just feel like they're from an entirely different franchise. There's a beautiful sweet gentleness to the first film, which makes the raw grit of the Kurgan and 80s New York work so well in contrast. Where is the "run along the beach and feel the heartbeat of a deer" scene in any of the other entries? The connectedness to nature and empathy for life aspect feels like it never carried on.

I know that there are other franchises that betray the spirit of the first film far more, and Highlander is far from unique in this way. It's probably just lightning jn a bittle that can't be recaptured, but the first film is so uniquely its own fascinating thing that it's a real bummer everything that came after kinda missed the point so completely.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is what prequels are for.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Flying Zamboni posted:

I think Highlander would lose something without Lambert in the lead. He comes across as weird and kind of spooky in a way that I don't think 80's Kurt Russell would.

Fully agreed. He feels inhuman.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I bet a lot of conservative dads threw the book down in disgust when that was revealed to be Bad, Actually

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really enjoyed season 1, but felt totally satisfied at the end of it. It more or less ended on no matter what he does he'll never be able to escape who he is or what hes done. Everything I've heard about the later seasons of the show just seems like drawn-out reinforcement of that. I felt like it made its point extremely well and I didn't need more, but glad to hear that more or less it remained as high-quality.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll wait for the One Piece novelization

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
poo poo. Rented an HD version of Raiders of Atlantis on Prime because it's the only place it's available in a decent quality, and the audio commentary track is playing quietly over the whole thing just audible enough to make the movie completely unwatchable. Got a refund and am going for Alien from LA instead. I love me some Pyun, but I was more in the mood for some insane over the top fantastical action.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It really does bring joy to me every time

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Hoping it's a harbringer for these blockbusters becoming earnest again.

It bombed, unfortunately

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Dan Stevens?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's unbelievably good. Definitely the best sci-fi in recent memory.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel like the first Jurassic Park was the end of his ability to organically integrate humor into his narratives. Everything after that feels forced and jokey, where it feels like he wants to go dark but then tries to use humor to balance it out and it ends up feeling awkward and discordant. The Lost World is full of that, AI is constant whiplash, Minority Report, etc. It feels very constructed and inirganic, where he said "this scene needs a moment of levity" and injected it.

Even Catch Me If You Can, which easily coasts by on its charm, has lots of moments of humor that feels disconnected from what surrounds it. Overall it works, but it's definitely tonal whiplash.

Personally I hate the attempts at humor in Minority Report, they threaten to ruin what otherwise is a great little sci-fi thriller. But the milk and eyeball stuff is at least weird enough that I get why many people dig it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

The theater started laughing during the sex scene near the end. They also laughed during A History of Violence which pissed me off but in retrospect there is stuff in that that is definitely supposed to be funny.

Seeing a crowd of younger people laughing at sexy unbuttoned Jeff Goldblum chest during a Jurassic Park revival screening was a bummer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite collective theater "Oh come ON!" was the ending of Inception. Every single person in the audience let out the biggest groan when it cut to black, and then a second later half of us started laugh.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well at least he's not trying to hide the Basterds influence. Just without, you know, the depth of human drama.

Hopefully it's more like UNCLE than anything else he's done in the past decade.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

I love when a movie just lies to you in the title.

Edit: also, you should at least watch Goodfellas. I'm not going to say it's his best, but it's the one everyone likes.

Those fellas aren't good at all!!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Double today's median, adjusted for inflation

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I've already got a smug leftist nerd inside my head, I don't need to listen to a handful of them who have even worse takes than I do.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I wouldn't call anything that Yorgos has made horror. Poor Things doesn't have anything like that in it. It has quite a bit of nudity, but no significant gore or violence. A couple of surgery scenes which could make a particularly squeamish person a bit uncomfortable, but nothing terribly over the top. There are verbal discussions of abusive acts, but not presented as shock, just as someone discussing their traumatic upbringing.

The Lobster doesn't have any of that sort of content, though has a scene that implies some visceral violence. Dogtooth you may want to avoid, but the violence isn't presented in a horror capacity.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

The Chapo reviews of blockbusters aren't always good, but they're great at reviewing right wing and Christian movies. They know about the politics and culture the movies come from so that they can see how those interact with the filmmaking in a way that most bad movie reviewers can't.

But the vast majority of blockbusters are right wing movies

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
drat. I'm finally reading The Black Dahlia and it's so goddamn good. Serious bummer to know the movie isn't.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

L.A. Confidential was a fun enough movie (good enough to get a sci fi remake!!!)

...excuse me?

Though I'm still super bummed that the Walton Goggins LA Confidential pilot didn't become a series. Really hope that leaks some day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I've always been puzzled by all the people who love him in 12 monkeys (always felt grating to me even as a kid) but to each their own

Big same. He's a huge part of why I just can't click with that movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite was the local video store that didn't care about kids renting "unrated" cuts. I probably should not have been able to rent Requiem for a Dream when I was 13.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No actor should have to participate in marketing as part of the requirements of their job. The less they give a poo poo about it the more I assume they're in it for the craft rather than the fame. You can be an artist and still be fun on the press junket, of course. But it's a bullshit part of the gig and shouldn't be a requirement.

Make it completely optional and also come with a big fat check, then I'll judge them for not giving a poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think that's next to impossible. It's just not on the table during contract negotiations. The studios are convinced that Dune 2 couldn't be a hit without Timothee sharing adorkable stories about Josh Brolin pulling pranks on set.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As someone who thinks parts of my job are dumb and bad and I slack off on them and have a bad attitude about them, I deeply sympathize and I cannot fault her.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

What was similar to Titanic that middled it?

What does this sentence mean

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kaworu posted:

If anyone is still interested, here’s some pictures of the “Kinonik Studio” where my dad stores and works on the reels, and where he also does screenings every Wednesday night it seems. I was just talking to him about it - they used to do them at this dilapidated old theater in downtown Portland called “The Movies”, and then they were screening at a local art gallery called “Space” for a while, but that apparently wasn’t too functional. Now they screen here, and it sounds like it’s a pretty fun place to watch a movie with 30-40 folks in there together.

But anyway, here is the place and how it looks! The two girls in the panorama are apparently interns who just began there today, according to my dad. I’m actually a little envious, apparently one of them wanted to just live there full-time and sleep on the couch. I would too!

A thing of true beauty.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If they were smart they would make hastily-made tie-in comics that showed this stuff. More people would probably buy them than regular comics.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sometimes I get upset with how much Disney has bungled the Muppets. We should be getting a fun, charming, low-key, serviceable Disney+ Muppet movie once a year which parodies some genre or adapts and old book or whatever. It's really not hard.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd also love a movie-making thread. I think maybe we had one years and years ago, but it didn't get traction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I don’t think 12 Angry Men would be a very satisfying viewing experience if you cut out all the dialogue.

Which is why we categorize it as a television show.