Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
What's our watch counts for last year? I managed 247 in total, 157 at the cinema/film festivals. Only 30 at the cinema were projected from film prints, but that did cover 8mm, 16mm, 35mm, 70mm and IMAX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

FreudianSlippers posted:

Got the Ferrari trailer as a YouTube ad over Christmas late at night after far too many drinks and thought it began with the line "we're all racist" for a few seconds.

Well it is about Italians in the 1950s.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Bright Bart posted:

So if you enjoyed Beau is Afraid, you might could need to see Eileen. It's billed as a psychological thriller but it's really a kind of tragicomedy I think.

I enjoyed it, I think McKenzie played the mousy-girl-grows-in-confidence-thanks-to-an-older-femme-fatale character quite well, even if it wasn't that dissimilar to her role in Last Night in Soho. My word, was Anne Hathaway gorgeous in this one though, I would also assist her in committing crimes. THAT twist which I was absolutely not expecting was insane - but I did spend the entire time thinking that the kidnapped woman was Andrea Riseborough.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Yes but Fennel couldn't show off how clever she was if she didn't have the flashbacks hammering you over the head: "bet you thought Felix OD'd but actually he was poisoned by Oliver!"

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Definitely check out the novel by Umberto Eco if you haven’t.

And then play Pentiment if you want more monastic murder mysteries.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Zone of Interest definitely deserves to be seen on the best cinema setup possible, which does sound like an odd recommendation for a film set in Auschwitz - but the score and sound design do so much. There's a preview screening of it at the BFI IMAX next weekend which I think would be incredibly overwhelming.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is it not on the BFI Player? They recently re-released it on Blu-ray.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I watched that recently as well as it featured Toby Jones and I had only heard good things about Kelly Reichardt films, though I hadn't realised the husband from Past Lives was also one of the leads (and I did the Leo meme for the brief Lily Gladstone appearance). I definitely recommend watching Certain Women if you haven't seen it - I'd like to catch up on more of Reichardt's but there's not many in print in the UK.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
ITYSL if it starred Steve Carrell.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Went to a postponed-from-December talk with Yorgos Lanthimos last night at the BFI Southbank; he's actually very funny. The questions were asked by Robbie Collin of the Telegraph, and some clips were shown from his films, including that spaghetti eating scene from The Killing of a Sacred Deer.

I was wondering why there were so many suited security guards around the building - two at every entrance - but it was because Emma Stone had accompanied him and was in the audience (I could just about see the back of her head, and we didn't hear from her except for her laughing at how Yorgos described her as not being suitable for a particular role in The Lobster). Didn't manage to get anything autographed but had a fun time and went to watch No Country For Old Men at the Prince Charles Cinema on 35mm afterwards.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well he just always looks so serious in the photos and interviews I've seen of him before. They were recording it so hopefully the interview will go up in YouTube - he did go on a funny joking rant about being defined as part of the 'Greek Weird Wave".

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The Killing of a Sacred Deer is pretty close to horror. I'd start with The Lobster or go and see Poor Things while it's still in cinemas, it's easily Lanthimos' most accessible work while still being a Lanthimos film.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Contact

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
I'd never heard of him until I saw the Super Mario Bros. (1993) 4K restoration a few months ago, and wondered who that guy was playing Toad.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The local Cineplex screened Blade Runner: 2049 tonight, after showing the original last week - my first time watching both of them at the cinema - and even on a very average screen 2049 looked and sounded great. It's the first time I've watched it since seeing Dune and I couldn't help but notice certain parallels, such as in the set design or things like the shots of aircraft flying over vast landscapes; it certainly feels like the film Villeneuve had to make before making Dune. However despite being slightly longer than Part 1 it felt better paced - characters and moments were given more time to breathe, while everything before the escape to the desert in Pt 1 felt a bit too rushed.

Oh and speaking of Wong Kar-Wai, I finally saw In the Mood For Love at my local indie (had only previously seen Chungking Express and 2046 at the Prince Charles (which I'm pretty sure shows at least one WKW film a week now)) but I think I preferred Chungking even though everyone raves about ITMFL - maybe it needs a second viewing. I know there were lots of complaints about the 4K restoration colour grading, but it still looks good, and Maggie Cheung's wardrobe was of course looks fantastic.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
One of the things I loved about Part 1 was how much of the story is told with the visuals, there were people in the GBS Dune thread complaining how incomprehensible it must be to anyone who hasn't read the books but if one actually watches the film it shows so much with a shot of a character's face.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They're Jihading them! And they're doing it in my name! Oh my goooooooooood

The Kwisatz Haderach took 1500 years to breed!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is he just going to play the version of himself from Extras?

Carpet fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 28, 2024

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Which Kingsman had the post credits scene where some bad guy reveals both Stalin and Hitler are working for him?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
They've had to stop inviting her onto daytime or early evening chat shows in the UK because she kept swearing like a sailor on them. I love her.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Waffleman_ posted:

Just get an adult actor to kneel down and put shoes on their knees

Orphan: First Kill (2022)

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Sticking with the French courts, Saint Omer?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It's not Ariane Labed's September Says is it? (No problem if you can't confirm.) Either way, with Yorgos Lanthimos' Kinds of Kindness we've got a married couple both debuting films at Cannes, I wonder if that's ever happened before.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

therattle posted:

I am at BreakThru Films’ studio/office (they did Loving Vincent and the recent The Peasants, neither of which I liked but could appreciate from a production perspective. We are Co-producing a film with them that they are digitally overpainting in German Romantic style). Here are a few pics if anyone is interested.

https://imgur.com/gallery/z79bpNa

Neat. Are those all individual frames which are going to be photographed animation style? What's the purpose of printing them out if it's painted digitally?

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The writer of the zendaya tennis movie also wrote potion seller????

He IS the potion seller

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

The Peccadillo posted:

I've never seen it and I don't get it but I get what it means to a high child watching clips, mine's probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_dRw62qVLs

Wonderful that the guy who played Lincoln in this clip wrote and directed Barbarian like twenty years later

I still think of that "oh you hosed up you hosed up you hosed up now" bit all the time

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Toast King posted:

Saw Challengers tonight, what an incredibly fun movie with a lot of cool shots and another great Reznor/Ross score. The music was how I found out about it in the first place and it definitely lives up to the soundtrack, big fan of the scenes of dialogue with intense techno playing over them like in some of the matches.

Looking forward to this one so much, and have been listening to what they've released of the score on repeat. Annoyingly I'm missing the Cineworld Unlimited preview tomorrow night (seeing Chelsea Wolfe play instead) but have got my ticket for next Friday - also annoyingly we aren't getting it in IMAX in the UK.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Holy poo poo some of the camera movements in Fritz Lang's M are insane, especially considering how bulky those cameras in 1931 and they must have weighed like 50kg. That shot with the move through the glass window, which then goes on to rotate around to focus on another character, I gasped out loud.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The Central Library, which has a grand domed reading room. The arts centre HOME MCR which shows a good selection of art house and limited release films. Affleck's for its eclectic range of shopping opportunities. The Northern Quarter for its bars, cafes, and record stores, if that's your thing. Oh, and if you want a cheap, unfussy curry, check out This and That.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The Science and Industry Museum is having a big refurbishment so lots of it is still closed off. The main building is still open however and they do daily demonstrations of cotton being spun into thread on these large threshing (?) machines.

Failed Imagineer posted:

And also go see the giant head of Engels

It's a full statue, not just a head! and it's outside HOME.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
RUN, don't walk to see Challengers, it hits the back of the net with a slam dunk of a film. Luca Guagdanino has really scored a hat trick with his latest heavyweight of a movie.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Gaius Marius posted:

Did you like Bones and All that much?

Yes, got the Blu-Ray recently but didn't have time to watch it again before seeing Challengers. I did however watch A Bigger Splash and Call Me By Your Name and I enjoyed both of those.

Luca really does like his movies to be 1.85 and 2hrs20m long.

therattle posted:

How do I gift Plat to someone if I cannot message them with the code because they don't have Plat?

Ask an admin to email them?

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

DoctorWhat posted:

I just saw CHALLENGERS. Great movie. Anywhere I should be talking about it or just here?

There's no specific thread for it, I think people have just been discussing it in here. I've just seen it for the second time and shared some more thoughts in the NIN thread in NMD.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
These corporate biopics are getting ridiculous - The Rock is starring in one for a popular digital movie camera now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Waffleman_ posted:

drat, hard to believe I'm the only one watching Episode 1 at noon on a Monday

It's a podcast, you listen to it?