Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

My second movie of 2024 was The Raid: Shadow Legends. It's very good!

you watched what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hey what happened to the alien thread?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

El Jeffe posted:

They're skipping Months, I repeat they are skipping Months

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1745365680365388281

Haven't seen the last couple Boyle movies and I'm lukewarm on Garland's solo work but I'll watch this anyway

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

NieR Occomata posted:

There is a common trend in film discourse, specifically film bro discourse (hello Snyder fans) where the movie is poorly made enough but throws enough random bullshit in there that assholes can collect the ideas they like from the movie they watched because it threw everything but the loving kitchen sink in there and praise the movie that they made up in their head and you end up having to argue against a non-existent glorified fancanon.

Army of the Dead is one of my prime examples of this. By any empirical measurement, that movie is loving terrible, but total dipshits love to go “Ooh but they could be clones! Or it could be a time loop! And and and there’s a zombie society what does that mean?!?!?!” And my constant response ends up having to be “but yeah how is it a better loving movie as a result.” And they can never loving adequately answer the question. It is by far the most irritating form of movie “criticism” I have to deal with, people praising overlong and unfocused and poorly loving made movies because it has this one thing that they liked and it makes an “incredible loving film” basically wholecloth in their heads.

this is what cringe comedy means right? tough to identify sometimes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i may not like the man's movies but he makes a quality pretzel

the ones that are like all the broken hosed up pieces and they've covered them in honey mustard sauce, premium stuff

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Peccadillo posted:

The actor who period stained him, Jen Kirkman, accidentally started #metoo. Fun ... ish fact

That’s Carla gallo. I don’t think Jen kirkman is in Superbad

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dawncloack posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I am having trouble even googling about this, since all combinations are a bunch of normal words. So I get a to of unrelated stuff. I thought this was the closest thread to small/stupid questions about movies.

so here it goes:

Can it be that the same movie is released with subtle (or big!) differences, that I notice on rewatch? Or am I just going insane?

Two examples:

Blade Runner 2049

I have watched this movie twice, both times on planes.

In one scene, the antagonist, a female replicant, helps the protagonist by lobbing missiles to some marauders that go after him, from her home.

I distinctly remember that, on first watch, she did that from a tablet, while drinking wine on a couch.

I watched it again yesterday and she had visor glasses and was getting manicure done.

I thought it might be that the middle of the road muslim country airline might not want to show someone drinking, but then I realized that the first watch was on a plane of an airline of an even more conservative country.

second example: Trance

I watched it both times at home.

The first time, the painting the movie is centered on is Van Gogh's sunflowers.

The other, the Shipwreck of the Medusa. But there were still plenty of background references to the sunflowers. Pretty significant difference.

So, to answer my own question, yes, it happens (unless I AM going insane, do tell me if you think so), but what is it called? And why??

Thanks in advance.

this question is especially weird because trance isn't about either of those paintings, the central painting the heist is all about is witches in the air by goya

edit: there is a monologue/metaphor about storm on the sea of galilee, which has some similarities to wreck of the medusa i guess

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 22, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Hillary Swank race drama movie Freedom Writers is known as Écrire Pour Exister In French.

It’s not a great title, but the bizarre thing is that Écrire Pour Exister translates back to English as Write To Exist.

So the French is an untranslatable pun that only works in English, yet wasn’t used for the actual English title of this very American movie.

that rules

Safety Factor posted:

So what did they call Sex Drive?

sex sex

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel about THE IRON CLAW the way some others react to SALTBURN and POOR THINGS.

did you see all three?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I sure did and think IRON CLAW is the worst of the three.

Should I bother with saltburn or claw?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

They are all January movies, do what your heart tells you.

you're right, there are only so many minutes in my life

i did like poor things tho

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

haywire, blackhat, and mama are all great examples of movies that got ignored completely because they came out in january

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i've been watching scavenger's reign while biking the last couple of days and while obvious comparisons to e.g. fantastic planet and nausicaa and moebius's stuff have been made, it also really reminds me of the other side of the mountain by michael bernanos, a mostly forgotten novella from the 60s about a bizarre and malevolent ecology. One of the best horror/science fiction/fantasy stories I've read. I think it's on archive.org and if it isn't anymore it's available for cheap, and you can read it in an afternoon.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Coaaab posted:

seeking out aggressively transgressive material on your own as a teenager seems normal but having your parents do it for you just comes off as strange to me

not everyone's parents are super protective/consider teenagers children

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BonoMan posted:

She is absolutely an A-lister, wth y'all talking about??

what's an a-lister exactly?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kaworu posted:

You know, I’m really not sure! I’ll have to ask him next time we talk. He does have a website set up at https://www.kinonik.org - and if you happen to live in the Portland, Maine area (somewhat unlikely, I know) he has showtimes there for screenings he’s always doing. He just did “Some Like it Hot” for Valentine’s Day, I think, then “Witness for the Prosecution” later this week to maintain some Wilder consistency, I suppose.

I’m actually going back home for a little while in a few weeks, and my dad’s current issue is that he has some 300 reels of various “junk and random shorter reels” that he hasn’t even had the time to catalog, let alone properly watch. And more coming in all the time, apparently. And to me that sounds like all the truly interesting and cool stuff where you see the truly weird/strange stuff that got put to film back in the day. I joked to him that maybe there’s an unseen Doctor Who serial on one of those reels, which is pretty unlikely but fun to think about.

His upcoming lineup is sick, he’s got stuff scheduled out for months.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't know exactly why but I feel deeply that Bryan Cranston is an genuinely stupid man but I think he's an amazing actor and feel only love for him and want him to act in more things

Anthony Hopkins posted:

"People ask me questions about present situations in life, and I say, 'I don't know, I'm just an actor. I don't have any opinions. Actors are pretty stupid. My opinion is not worth anything. There's no controversy for me, so don't engage me in it, because I'm not going to participate.'"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

McCloud posted:

Wait, Captain Marvel committed omnicide offscreen?

Wikipedia indicates she just killed the god computer, and then they had a civil war that torched their atmosphere, dried up their seas, and crippled their sun. So still sort of but not exactly and then she fixes their sun at the end

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

What is with Hong Kong cinema's fixation with cops? I know it's bad in the West but it seems even more extreme. I turn on Chungking Express and its like bam. This isnt even an action movie!!! Guess that's what happens when you get so colonized and Britbrained.

It rules that the only cop stuff Leung does is “stand around and eat”, probably the most realistic portrayal of the average cop’s day ever filmed

The other guy beats someone up so that’s pretty much the full gamut

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Wow spoilers!!!!!!
Its okay I don't actually care about spoilers cuz I'm a sicko. Half an hour in and it's pretty good. I'm just haunted by Police Story after Police Story so I was just like "really??? More?"
I'm assuming the main characters of In the Mood For Love are not cops lol. Guess I'll find out soon when I rewatch it, saw that poo poo as a kid.

No cops in that one

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

regulargonzalez posted:

Some would even say it's a stage play

yeah and i love me a good filmed stageplay, i'll gobble up old bbc productions of that poo poo. 12 angry men is directed by lumet and shot by dziga vertov's little brother, they knew what they were doing and what they did was the bare minimum. it's just barely a movie.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I think everything Villeneuve has done since Sicario was just ok but up to that point I was onboard with everything he put out.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gotta disagree on this. Like, one of the things that make it work is they clearly thought a lot about every single shot- you could easily have a film class go heavy into each choice of angle because they have one set (mostly) and a limited range of physical business for the actors, so how do you frame this line vs that one, how do you keep up the visual interest without getting distracting, etc.?

yeah that's what i mean. they did the bare minimum, no excess, just exactly the number of shots and exactly the angles and transitions they need to make it more than just a camera pointed at a stage.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

therattle posted:

Some of my favourite films have dialogue!

your directors were so preoccupied with whether or not they could include dialogue, they didn't stop to think if they should

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if a movie has above a certain amount of dialogue it turns back into a play

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ShoogaSlim posted:

feels close, but i wonder if that's just the musical number that plays to accompany the video itself.

someone i know is saying it's called a pre-roll but that doesn't feel right. he runs a plex server and they have it as a built in feature to include custom "pre-rolls" before media starts. i just never heard of anything playing before a movie called that before.

Pre roll is everything that plays before the movie, especially ads, and it’s particularly common terminology in online video (like plex) https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/preroll

I think it actually comes from misunderstanding an older use of the word to mean stuff caught on camera before a take starts but after the camera starts but I’m not 100% on that

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gripweed posted:

Those were feature length! Macross Plus was a series of four 30 minute episodes. Some OVAs are movies, but Macross Plus wasn’t.

four acts, 120 minutes, sounds like a movie to me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

poonchasta posted:

Does Ravenous count as a western?

why wouldn't it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

the movie literally bored a dude to death, that's a wild advertisement

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Grendels Dad posted:

But JURASSIC WORLD is the JURASSIC WORLD of movies?

Too much dialogue

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bright Bart posted:

You have all these polls on news sites' culture and lifestyle sections where like 7% people of respondents admit to regularly having sex in the theatre when situation permits it e.g. an empty back row and loud film. I'm all for light kinks but you really should require informed consent before involving others.

Then again with numbers like these you may well be tacitly consenting for someone to awkwardly put P in V a few rows down and a couple seats across from you.

agreed. i just stand up before the movie and ask everyone "is it ok if we finger bang each other? does anyone mind? it's cool just raise your hand" and no one ever does

Mister Speaker posted:

On the other hand he kind of only knows how to make one movie: a hamfisted apartheid analogy.

that's not a very good read on district 9 (it's not about apartheid per se, among other things it's about how apartheid never really ended it just shifted to focus on immigrants, plus some fully loving wild poo poo about white purity and miscegenation embodied by a guy getting a bug hand) but please, explain how demonic and zygote are apartheid analogies

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i was kind of being genuine, it would be really wild if you actually saw parallels in those movies

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

even as a hater of Elysium and Chappie, i was blown away by how bad Demonic was

yeah, i like elysium and chappie and several of the oats shorts, but demonic was a real miss for me. i wonder how gran turismo is

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, I was worried the multiple viewpoints would try to somehow both -sides the rape, but it's actually just different sides of "Men are predatory scum within a strict patriarchy" which is good

It’smuch more interesting that Jacques’s version of the story is absolutely rape by modern standards, and barely more sympathetic by his own, and that Jean is an rear end in a top hat in every telling, and again only slightly less so in his own. The stories are much more subtly different than in e.g. Rashomon

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ShoogaSlim posted:

Complaining that Jurassic World or Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom aren't as good is like complaining that James Cameron hasn't made another Jurassic Park when he's also made The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i wanted to watch a movie the other night and my six year old wouldn't stay in bed so i just let him watch the terminator with me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

regulargonzalez posted:

Has any director had a decade that rivals Coppola's 1970s? 5 films that are 4 S tier and one A tier (I suppose 3 and 2 if you're an especially harsh critic). Otherworldly and I can't think of another decade of that caliber from anyone.

Leaving out ones already mentioned, Kurosawa 54-63 is pretty untouchable, Polanski from 65-74 (i guess fearless vampire killers is pretty mid), Friedkin's 70s (with the caveat that i haven't seen the brinks job), Cronenberg 79-88, Verhoeven from Robocop to Starship Troopers (technically 11 years)... good, consistent, and prolific are a pretty rare alignment unsurprisingly

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

trevorreznik posted:

I caught Female Prisoner Scorpion last night and was blown away by the camera choices and movement throughout. I had no idea how exploitative it was going to be and was really surprised at how much talent went into making a movie about that kind of subject matter. Wow.

It probably helped I watched it one day after Poor Things, which I really disliked because of that movies choice of lenses. Ugh.

definitely check out the sequels, especially the second one

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

trevorreznik posted:

Man, I don't even know how to interpret the stage play aspects of the second female prisoner movie, what fun. A bunch of very surprising scenes for sure

I absolutely loved the fantastical lighting of even the normal scenes, to go along with all the surreal stuff. Theres just so many great scenes, I found a bunch of excellent gifs right here
https://meikokaji.net/film/scorpion-jailhouse41/gallery-gifs.html

I don't want to embed, but
https://meikokaji.net/images/film/scorpion-jailhouse41/gifs/jailhouse41-gif2.gif

Possibly the greatest wipe in history?

didn't even have to click to know what you were referring to lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’m gonna give a “yes” to at least the first three

At the very least all of the great works of art are about sex, death, or both.

and they're literally all about work

edit:

Gripweed posted:

I’m trying to think of a movie featuring no scenes of anyone eating or laboring and nothing springs to mind.

right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bright Bart posted:

A twelve-year-old girl fought in that raid. The Nabu forces were using child soldiers.

Don't give me that about her being the princess or queen or whatever. Plenty regents and generals have said 'no, sorry' to underage monarchs irl and that is what should have happened here.

Did she even hit anything during the fight?

the republic is bad, yes