Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Oh wait, those are supposed to be skunks, not squirrels. Thanks, colorist.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/27/04

Brenda Starr 11/27-29/52

Neko Stover 8/7/60

Everyday Movies 5/19/37

"But Duke, how was I to know, when I invited them to dinner that they didn't play bridge?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/27-29/43

Closer Than We Think! 8/7/60

Or you could just use light bulbs, I suppose?

edit: They seem to be talking about creating induction plasma, which sounds extremely safe and not at all energy-intensive.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

high-altitude nuclear detonations would give a much more natural light

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

Oh wait, those are supposed to be skunks, not squirrels. Thanks, colorist.

this is overboard, i would not be surprised if there were explicit instructions to "make sure the skunks are brown and tan, you know, like skunks are"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, April 29-May 2, 1985

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(5/6/1994)

(5/7/1994)

Ziggy

(10/23/1971)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Oh wow that Mexikid Stories ending did uhhh... did not make me feel better about whatever was going on there!

Saoshyant posted:

I imagine Vargo isn't available yet, so here's some comic strips.

Yes, thank you for taking over for me, I was crushed by an avalanche while chasing a yeti.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I was thinking of that, but I couldn't remember enough of the details so I went with the fights with the fanbase. Which was a pretty funny story, he gave the villain of the story the same name as a poster from here, then pushed him off a cliff-top. RIP, goon.

It wasn't quite that clear. I got into a days-long twitter beef with JamesAllen (right after he ran a week of strips about how dumb and mean internet commenters are and how they're all a bunch of losers). Some friends joined in and played along, saying things like "hey james big fan what if Mark saved a guy named 'cargo' from getting mauled by a bear" and such. Eventually we lost interest because James is a MAGA boomer who doesn't understand how Twitter works. But he said something like "sooon you'll see a story about what SOME PEOPLE will do for a little Internet attention!"

Two or three weeks later, Dr Harvey Camel appears in the strip and he looks... a little bit like me. Not a huge amount but he has a similar beard and curly hair. And I think "ha, that's funny".

And then he proceeds to write Dr. Camel as a stupid rear end in a top hat who sucks at everything and never gets laid needs social media attention. Like what James said about me.
And then he writes about how Dr. Camel is obsessed with conspiracies and needs proof of something that doesn't exist. Like what James said when I accused him of clip art theft.
And then specific stuff and lines from our Twitter fight starts to leak into the story... including Dr. Camel getting mauled by a bear.

Somewhere along the line, James did the sexual harassment of AOC (which I super narced on because by this point I was talking to comics syndicate people semi-regularly) and then we had a mystery fill-in artist finish out parts of the yeti story (maybe the same one who did the Phantom art recently?). Then there was another story about an orphan boy on a fishing trip with art and writing that did not seem like James at all, it barely started when Jules took over.

Doomykins posted:

There's a lot to savor in todays disaster but I think the real extra special touch is being too lazy to give Mark his copy-paste beard in panel 1. I guess Shapeshifto the Security Guard hit him so hard he knocked it off for a second.

Worse art(AND WRITING) than Jamesallen's diabetes yeti masterpiece, worse action than Randy's Popeye. 2+ years to get over the nervous daily deadline jitters. Lets be real, Jules is quite lazy and has a fair bit of contempt for her readers and work. It's a legacy IP she can milk for.. I dunno. Low effort cash but a lock on a possible newspaper strip slot is a thing of some value. Then again how the hell would this turd dodge the culling BCN was talking about?

As much fun as it is to mock Mark Trail I wonder if it's possible to be constructive. The fix for Jules isn't complicated: triple the amount of time spent on a strip. Make what we're currently getting, remove the truly embarrassing art failures, tighten the art details and strip to strip writing a little. That's not easy no effort work though so asking too much. Just a total garbage strip that should be gracelessly retired since it hasn't had any grace for most of a century.

Then again I'm the crabby jerk who hate-reads it consistently and thinks most of the modern artists taking over legacy IPs are pretty shameless saps. :v:

That's sort of the thing about Jules - she's basically horseshoe theory James Allen. She assumes any of her haters are just mad losers, she regularly stops the strip to tangent about whatever half-remembered political point she's on about this week. (Remember when James spent two weeks having unrelated characters talk about how unrestricted hunting is good for the environment, actually, liberals?) and her online/interview presence is just unsufferable. She's the tumblr to his Breitbart. And in terms of writing and art, when he did draw, James is actually better.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Whoever owns MT just needs to scrap it completely.

I've sort of been saying this for years, this is not a beloved legacy character with millions of fans, this is a strip I have to explain and remind people of when I tell this story. Whatever die-hard Trailers ever existed were pushed away by Jules. If it takes this much effort to make Mark Trail good, maybe we just don't need Mark Trail.

And that sucks! Because I actually really like the idea of a comic strip that's about conservation! It seems like it should be easy to do this, and even modernize it, but apparently it's not.

(This is one thing that's always bugged me about the yeti storyline - Dr. Camel's whole thing made no sense, Mark kept saying that he was living a double life and lying to his followers for social media attention but the dude was... actually hunting yetis, actually getting attacked by bears, and actually hiking the himilayas WITH ONE LEG. There was no double-life about it, he was actually doing all the things, all he did was hide his disability!)

Also, I've been sitting on this for a while, but over at Andrews McMeel there used to be one particular editor who was responsible for bringing in Wallace, BCN, nu-Nancy and Phoebe. She was sort of the "young and cool" editor who was doing new talent. King Features has an editor that fills a similar role, but they do not do it as well. They're responsible for Randy and Jules, and also the one who told me I was crazy for asking "why is everyone so lovely to Dustin?" So it turns out being extremely online doesn't necessarily translate into good comics!

Mokotow posted:

Edit: found Allen’s twitter, guy’s completely off the Breitbart deep end

Give me a link to that poo poo, I have been wondering what he does now that his handle isn't literally "@theREALMarkTrail"

Anyway, I'm back! Thanks for covering for me! And also thanks for letting me go off on some poo poo! My dad just started chemo and I want to talk about literally anything else! Comics!

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop is not going to be posted anymore because I've been gone a week and they're still doing "lol Oop is a bad king" and it just sucks.

Curtis

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Jules' Mark Trail hasn't taken off the way it could have after its strong debut, but when Murdstone posts it alongside Mary Worth - a comic where we just spent 6 ding-dang months being told that a rude, callous brute deserves to force himself into the lives of two women because, oops, we never actually figured out a reason! SUPPORT THE TROOPS - and Rex Morgan, the comic where every single story is either "An old person deals with a minor health issue; sometimes we tease that it might be serious but it just turns out to be bad gas" or "One scam artist - seriously, it's just the one, there are no other antagonists in this world - fails at being a scam artist, yet also never receives his comeuppance" - Mark Trail's slipshod art, convenient plotting and shallow pool of characters don't seem so bad to me. Feels right at home in the modern comics page, really!

But it lost me ages ago, I just give it a cursory glance and scroll on. In that way it's worse than other soap strips; too anodyne to really make me care.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Everyone Hated That Baby

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 28, 2024

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

:frogsiren:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
On the one hand that Mexikid Stories sure does end with a collar tugger. On the other hand he's writing what actually happened and good thing his brother dodged that.

Selachian posted:

Neko Stover 8/7/60

It's wild how much Smokey inspired.

Vargo posted:

She's the tumblr to his Breitbart.

Wallace the Brave

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

What a good Wallace. :3:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
between Mexikid and that Foxtrot, I am.....probably on some watchlist now. Wow.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Medenmath posted:

I do! I was just wondering about him actually. I assume four kids is just a bit too much for the needs of the comic. Three is kind of the ideal for dialogue and gag writing purposes I suspect.

There's a OOW animated film in my head which is basically the "Moonfixer/Slim plays for the machine shop ball team" story. Of course, I'd have to learn how to animate first. And a few hundred other steps which I'm sure will come to me later.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 3, 1936)

Peanuts, in which the inevitable happens. (March 31, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (March 16-18, 1936)

Thimble Theater (October 30, 1940)

Out Our Way (May 4-6, 1944)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

FoxTrot Classix

been a real weird week in foxtrot

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Selachian posted:

Neko Stover 8/7/60

That's a very Seussian elephant. That's a compliment btw.

Oh, I'm sorry, a very Seussian e'fan

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CannonFodder posted:

That's a very Seussian elephant. That's a compliment btw.

Oh, I'm sorry, a very Seussian e'fan

It sure is fine, no matter what you call it

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vargo posted:

And that sucks! Because I actually really like the idea of a comic strip that's about conservation! It seems like it should be easy to do this, and even modernize it, but apparently it's not.

I wonder if part of the problem is that Mark Trail needs a writer who understands the appeal of the outdoorsy life. I don't get any impression that Jules is that person; her understanding of nature seems mostly to come from random articles, so you end up with stuff like the current storyline, where Mark Trail, Super Nature Knower, is apparently unable to understand that invasive species are bad even if they're cute horsies.

It's like Barajas and Whigham getting the details of hockey and wrestling wrong in Gil Thorp -- if you're going to do a sports-centric strip, you need to be willing to do enough research to know what hockey skates look like or that you can't do a suplex in high school wrestling.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Doomykins posted:

On the one hand that Mexikid Stories sure does end with a collar tugger. On the other hand he's writing what actually happened and good thing his brother dodged that.
Mexikid Stories is doing a really good job of threading the needle of childhood nostalgia without being saccharine and understanding stuff was hosed up without reveling in misery or demanding sympathy and also does a great job of illustrating that kids are fun and do not know poo poo. This was like a peak uncle story where he's like "yeah that's kinda hosed up, huh? I dunno why she did that!".

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I don't think that Legend of Bill can pull off humor or deeper lore and story telling well at ALL. This is not a surprising take I'm sure.

In positive contrast, Flash continues to be so good. Well drawn, fun pacing like..man this is good poo poo. Also, I love Wallace.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Shamelessly gorging myself on the far, far too rich taste of Josh getting what he deserves, even contrary to his sycophant beliefs. The company NEEDS to be open on holidays! You should be honored, hahaha!

Hostile V posted:

Mexikid Stories is doing a really good job of threading the needle of childhood nostalgia without being saccharine and understanding stuff was hosed up without reveling in misery or demanding sympathy and also does a great job of illustrating that kids are fun and do not know poo poo. This was like a peak uncle story where he's like "yeah that's kinda hosed up, huh? I dunno why she did that!".

Yeah, I love it! It really shows when an author can tell a story and puts some clear thought into it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Good Listener posted:

I don't think that Legend of Bill can pull off humor or deeper lore and story telling well at ALL. This is not a surprising take I'm sure.

In positive contrast, Flash continues to be so good. Well drawn, fun pacing like..man this is good poo poo. Also, I love Wallace.

I'll give Legend of Bill this: It seems that ever since Reddick has been actually trying to tell stories and make art, Intelligent Life has become actually critical of nerd poo poo movies rather than the unending fawning it used to be.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Can't say anything more about that Mexikids that ain't been said already. In some ways it feel very much like WAR in it's extreme... openness?

Also, in celebration of Fingerpori as well as it being Easter, I managed to try some Mämmi. It was like a dessert-Marmite. It was an experience.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

He could ask this guy to mentor him

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

And in terms of writing and art, when he did draw, James is actually better.
I don't agree with this.

This was from when he started actually trying. And as for the writing, don't forget he had Mark Trail spend like a whole year in a cave.

They're both bad, just in different ways.

JethroMcB posted:

FoxTrot Classix

Your testicles, and you.

F Minus

Mark Trail

That's not a pun.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Great Kid but could you do me a favor and stop pointing at me? Getting a real bad Ghost of Christmas Future vibe off you.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

...inert, apathetic, not actually caring or paying attention, only interested in my own problems.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 29, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 30, 1916)

$1.98 in 1916 is $58.97 today

Polly and Her Pals(February 27, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(November 20, 1919)

Us Boys(March 28, 1912)

The Gumps(April 26, 1917)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

This is probably a cool old man or a devious villain, I'm hoping for both.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

davidspackage posted:

...inert, apathetic, not actually caring or paying attention, only interested in my own problems.

Unless he falls off another boat.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

JethroMcB posted:

FoxTrot Classix

This one reminded me a particularly weird redtext on a poster (who afaik doesn't even read this thread) and I so had to do a thing.

Apologies, move along.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Blueberry just keeps climbing in quality. I caught that ace cowboy line earlier. :allears:

This is a pretty bad week to compare Jamesallen to Jules. If you really put that James strip to the test there'd be about five faults tops. Jules has done all of them and easily doubled it for about three strips in a row now.

Check that panel one, gave a dude a reverse joint leg. :haw:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

kidcoelacanth posted:

this is overboard, i would not be surprised if there were explicit instructions to "make sure the skunks are brown and tan, you know, like skunks are"

I can't even blame the colorist for it, given the octopus and the right whale. Seriously, it's like the artist is a medieval illustrator working from descriptions written down a century ago by someone who overheard a guy telling someone else about what his sailor friend thought they were like.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 28, 2024

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If X goes first, this isn't a legal board state.

Powered Descent posted:

This one reminded me a particularly weird redtext on a poster (who afaik doesn't even read this thread) and I so had to do a thing.

Apologies, move along.

Poor Cactus Ghost, just trying to share a fun fact.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tiggum posted:

Well that is not at all a reassuring outcome. :stare:

Vargo posted:

Oh wow that Mexikid Stories ending did uhhh... did not make me feel better about whatever was going on there!

Sometimes when you're a kid things are bad and that's just how it is.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

wait dawn why are you taking a whole-rear end year off to go kick it with your mom.

Oh Babey It's Covid

Meanwhile The Fetish Content On This Page Continues Unabated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Vargo posted:

I'll give Legend of Bill this: It seems that ever since Reddick has been actually trying to tell stories and make art, Intelligent Life has become actually critical of nerd poo poo movies rather than the unending fawning it used to be.

Which is sad considering how it's been brought up all the Legend of Bill stuff is like 15 years old now or something and is just being colorized/cleaned up from old strips.