Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I don't read Holbrook more than once a season by accident but I respect everybody's enjoyment of a good hate read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 5-7, 2006)

We are now kicking off one of the first big meta-arcs of the series. And also starting tomorrow, the strip is hand drawn again!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I don't read Holbrook for reasons of maintaining my own sanity, so I don't care one way or the other, myself.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Vox Valentine posted:

and honestly Holbrook is not the worst person here (steve kelley).

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I’m weirdly looking forward to Kevin & Kell reruns catching up to the current run.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Bad as the Holbrook strips are, and they are dreadful, the page-long screeds of “Can you believe what Holbrook did?!? Why, that makes absolutely no sense because blah blah blah blah!” are worse. I hate seeing 30 new posts, open the thread, and getting 29 posts of Holbrook banter.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

yeah i sure hate when people talk about the comics, that are being posted, in the comics thread

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Vox Valentine posted:

and honestly Holbrook is not the worst person here (Rick McKee and, I suppose, the late Al Capp).

I like Holbrook, blind spots and all, although I wouldn't mind losing his strips if they're making the thread unpleasant for others to read.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 23, 2024

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
My eyes just slide down the page at Holbrook, but not everything is made for me (to hateread). :shrug:

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 24, 1936)

Peanuts (April 26, 1977)

Crankshaft speaks to me today. It's saying "This is where a joke would be on a normal day. And I'm a Sunday strip forced into two panels"

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (May 25-27, 1936)

Thimble Theater (November 25, 1940)

Out Our Way, in which the Worry Wart's playtime gets out of the Pacific and moves to Normandy. (July 10-12, 1944)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 25, 1910)

Baron Bean(April 25, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 25, 1913)

God damnit.

Gasoline Alley(December 16, 1919)

Us Boys(April 23, 1912)

The Gumps(May 22, 1917)

Bringing up Father(January 6, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 7 - 9, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 5, 1918)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Seeing loving seen here.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I think Holbrook's comics are very stupid, but at least they're not outright hateful like Dustin or smug self-fellating nonsense like Crankshaft Winkerbean. And while I think the way he's already pairing up these kindergarteners to be future couples is weird, it's not "should we be calling the authorities" level of grossness that 9CL did with the twin babies that finally got it booted off the thread. That said, I wouldn't mind if Holbrook just stopped making comics lol. As for the thread itself, it's great how there's tons of variety. I know there's some good and lovely comics that I don't read either because it doesn't grab me personally or it's tedious to follow, but it's nice that other posters can just pick which ones that they like and which ones they hateread. Oh, and I can cut down on commenting about Holbrook's comics, if it helps not clog up the thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm not gonna lie, it's baffling that there's more demand for Holbrook to stop being posted when the thread also has Dustin, a hack comic strip written by a no poo poo far right political cartoonist, and that doesn't get nearly as much genuine "this comic is poo poo and shouldn't be posted".

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

someone awful. posted:

yeah i sure hate when people talk about the comics, that are being posted, in the comics thread

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

heh

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The bad comics are just as much a part of this thread as the good ones. It'd get pretty dull if all we ever talked about was how great Wallace and Flash are.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

The bad comics are just as much a part of this thread as the good ones. It'd get pretty dull if all we ever talked about was how great Wallace and Flash are.

we can change it up a little sometimes by talking about how good Valiant and Cul-De-Sac are

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I find Holbrook's comics tedious and repulsive on both visual and narrative levels, but I just scroll past them. My only complaint is that it's a gigantic blob of image to scroll past every time. I would be happy if they were timged

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah I never read Holbrook's stuff but I'm an absolute champ at scrolling so I don't care if they get posted

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I don't read any of the Holbrook comics, but reading the commentary is amusing at least. If anything, a higher comment:comic ratio would probably liven up the thread in general (says one of the crowd who usually just posts comics and doesn't comment...)

We Are Reproducing

quote:

Haraiso Days

quote:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rubber Chicken posted:

It super sucks but it also seems a bit of a silly own goal

Just call him BoneAnne and make his oath "By Grom!" and no one would have done poo poo

This is the thing that's completely mystifying to me--why did it need to be Conan? A sword & sorcery story with a buff barbarian and a bunch of Tackleford characters would have been just as satisfying and wouldn't have been baiting the bear.

Like someone said, Allison is own-goaling pretty often and I don't think this is an exception. It's not hard to google and find out that Conan is in PD in the UK but not in the US, and there's been multiple instances showing that American media companies don't give a poo poo if a work is in PD in your country if they still have the US rights for it, they will bleed you dry defending the copyright or trademark. Plus Allison has demonstrated he genuinely doesn't give a poo poo about copyright and will happily make Batman and X-Men comics with little hesitation, so he's kind of asking for it any time he pulls from an existing work at this point. It doesn't help that he's basically cribbing from the older Marvel Conan comics in the character design too.

I'm absolutely of the opinion that copyright law on a whole lot of stuff is hosed and there's no real excuse for companies to hold on to legacy trademarks for stuff that's now older than most people alive on the planet, but also it's hard to feel like Allison isn't asking for a fight sometimes. I just don't get what's in his head sometimes, as a creator. IMO Steeple was the best thing he's done in a long time and he just kinda said "nah, gently caress that, I'm done with it", which was just baffling to me.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Kazinsal posted:

I'm not gonna lie, it's baffling that there's more demand for Holbrook to stop being posted when the thread also has Dustin, a hack comic strip written by a no poo poo far right political cartoonist, and that doesn't get nearly as much genuine "this comic is poo poo and shouldn't be posted".

It probably just boils down to frequency. Dustin is one "Woof, get a load of this turd" strip a day, Holbrook manages three. Add to that the fact that they all look the same and have the same voice (plus, Safe Havens is like the marriage of K&K's "funny" animal hellworld and Fastrack's crappy business zingers and tortured visual puns/metaphors, so that one just feels like a dumping ground for B-side gags that didn't make the cut for the other two)...it compounds the misery in a hurry

I completely hate the dude's work but I skip past it 99 times out of 100; every few months I'll catch a stray or check out a strip when discourse really flares up about it and remember why I avoid them all.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
There has to be a reason beyond Thing/Thing Japanese that explains why I find Rose Is Rose so annoying but consider We Are Reproducing so drat cute

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Shungicu Uchida is a much more interesting person, for one. Comparing the babies is also comparing a drawn-from-life portrait of a real person to a broadly-sketched ideal type of an innocent child. WARbaby has been distinctly getting more coherent and intelligent, and the funny malapropisms are authentically ridiculous baby-talk instead of something calculated to appeal to an adult.

A lot of the proper strips posted here are held back by the need to produce daily content. It's very hard to keep that trickle consistent over years and years, let alone without repeating yourself heavily when you run out of ideas and have to riff a bit.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 23, 2024

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

EndOfTheWorld posted:

There has to be a reason beyond Thing/Thing Japanese that explains why I find Rose Is Rose so annoying but consider We Are Reproducing so drat cute

There are probably a dozen reasons at least

One is a zombie strip where nothing changes and basically everything is "filler" and the other moves and tells a real story

Art style, sincerity, novelty

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Even if WAR isn't 100% based on reality, it has very realistic and grounded tone and shows less idealized aspects of parenthood, which makes the cute parts more relatable.

e. hmm... then again, you could say that about FOOB...

Kennel fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 23, 2024

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EndOfTheWorld posted:

We are Reproducing is mostly straight forward stories about normal things all toddlers do - it's easy to understand what's happening and match it to our own experiences. Even if you don't have a kid, you know what kids *are* and can match what's happening in the comic to that.

RiR, on the other hand, is such a heightened and amplified version of family life that it's become grotesque and unrelatable. If you were around people who constantly gurned and grimaced like the characters in that strip, you would be terrified. If you knew someone who made a huge deal about eating the most slightly spicy type of chili pepper, you would find them unbearably tedious. The behavior of very character in that strip is like the protective coloring on a poisonous animal - you just know instinctively to avoid it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Kennel posted:

Even if WAR isn't 100% based on reality, it has very realistic and grounded tone and shows less idealized aspects of parenthood, which makes the cute parts more relatable.

e. hmm... then again, you could say that about FOOB...

that's another reason why I led with "shungicu uchida is an interesting person" - because lynn johnston is less interesting and more reprehensible

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I think WAR has the combination of both depicting a real family (instead of Lynn Johnston's increasingly unnerving family fanfic) and of balancing the unpleasant parts of parenting with the author's clear love for her child and appreciation of his developing personhood. I can't speak to Rose is Rose here because my eyes slide off that poo poo whenever I accidentally look at it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think the trick of WAR is not only that it depicts the frustrations of parenthood as well as the joys, but that it specifically doesn't take the frustrations personally or depict the joys in a saccharine way.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
RiR is pleasant enough if you'd be satisfied with a cheesy greeting card aesthetic. Things like the adult men loving comics, garbage moments(eh, it resonates with me from my kitchen work) and even the doofy WOOAHH I ATE A JALAPENO are earnest personality from the middle-aged stay at home mom I assume draws it. 2/5 in general, 3/5 to target audience. Still pretty staged and saccharine but it puts in more honest effort than the true trash on the funny pages.

WAR is an actual work of artistic merit with something to say about what is often an entirely private story. 4/5 overall easily, loads of 5/5 pages and panels. You can't plan or stage the joy shared through WAR-baby and his mom and her seven foot tall Alien xenomorph statue.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
All very good reasons! Sorry, I'm a big ol' weeb and I always have that nagging feeling that I let that override my judgment. But yeah, 100%, the difference between WAR and Rose is Rose is like the difference between an actual baby and, like, some saccharine baby Herman cartoon. Truth is the basis for good art, who the gently caress would have guessed.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
RiR depicts children with exactly the same familiarity with the subject that the Overboard guy depicts octopuses.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

God, what and why is Overboard

It doesn't offend me or anything, sometimes it's even amusing, but what the gently caress is going on there

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm just gonna ask, but does anyone actually want holbrook to be posted? on the individual comic level he's no oh baby but getting a shotgun blast of him everyday (backlog or no backlog all three of his comic strips are terrible) might make him worse on a quantitative level at least

Holbrook is terrible. I'd set whoever posts it to Ignore, but I think they occasionally post other comics I read and it's not worth the opportunity cost, so I suffer for the art.

But for whoever said they'd miss it if Holbrook vanished from here, I set whoever posts Crankshaft and Sally Forth to ignore months ago and I do not miss Sally Forth one iota. Seeing it quoted earlier on this page only reinforced how little I give a poo poo about Ted Forth and his banal, wordy nonsense.

Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 23, 2024

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I am also in the "would prefer to forget Holbrook and his comics exist" club, which can also extend to Batiuk and the Dustin guy, but I can scroll

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

God, what and why is Overboard

It doesn't offend me or anything, sometimes it's even amusing, but what the gently caress is going on there

I like to think of it as high functioning Computoons.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Things like the adult men loving comics, garbage moments(eh, it resonates with me from my kitchen work) and even the doofy WOOAHH I ATE A JALAPENO are earnest personality from the middle-aged stay at home mom I assume draws it.

Oddly, both Rose Is Rose's creator and current artist are men. But I suppose anyone can be a middle-aged stay at home mom if they try hard enough.

Pogo 10/20-22/52

Archie 3/20-22/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 7/14-16/77

He's wrong -- that's the 1925 Red Sox. Maybe Stan was reading the wrong line in the Baseball Almanac.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Not only does Holbrook need to continue to show up (because in spite of my indifference, it's poo poo that very obviously gets a visceral, visible reaction), but someone needs to bring to the Discord where it can live in the Hall of Shame folder with a few of the things we don't post itt anymore.

And whoever takes on the back half of that challenge needs to not be me, because one of my collection of night sweat-inducing fears is an old age where I forget what my grandmother's voice sounds like but being able to rattle off Funkyverse minutiae unprompted. While sobbing uncontrollably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

never forget that one of the early gimmicks of rose is rose was the dad being horny for his corpulent mother-in-law and having a feeder fetish as a result