Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Weembles posted:

I like to think of it as high functioning Computoons.

i started going through the overboard archives because i wanted to see exactly when the author lost his mind and dove headfirst into saccharine friendliness and malformed animals but the comic starts off just as kind of a work a day strip but about pirates and is also super old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Why isn't the host club guy who has a crush on her at Rie's party. What the gently caress.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Countblanc posted:

Why isn't the host club guy who has a crush on her at Rie's party. What the gently caress.

That jumped out at me, too. Wasn't it implied that they started dating?

Maybe he'll pop out of a huge wrapped gift box for her.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kazinsal posted:

never forget that one of the early gimmicks of rose is rose was the dad being horny for his corpulent mother-in-law and having a feeder fetish as a result

Corpulent is taking it a little far. I recall her being much more active, adventurous and daring than her boring rear end daughter.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I miss the elderly couple:(

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I love that Wilbur's beef with that guy is that he's muscular, and Wilbur is even more muscular in his own fantasy.

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

I have a sinking feeling that this storyline is about to get a bit uncomfortable, racial-depiction-wise. Still, so far I've been really enjoying Modesty and Willie very calmly being the two most competent people on the planet as they build a goddamn FORGE to repair their crashed plane.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!
[quote="Giant Ethicist" post="539120144"]

We Are Reproducing

We babysat my sister's friend's kids once - they were like 6 & 4 or 5 & 7.
The youngest one had the older one pinned down, was tickling her. As I was hustling over to break it up, the older one yells "SOMEBODY MAKE IT STOP"... and got me laughing too hard to move

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

amigolupus posted:

Love to waste billions of tax dollars and resources just to periodically send the monster-spawn I left on Mars supplies to keep them thriving and gently caress up the planet some more.

Fastrack, Inc funded the original. Mars Mission, so I assumed that they were sending the resupplies...for some reason.

Though I guess taxpayers did foot the bill for rescuing the Mars Crew with a refurbished space shuttle when the Mars Crew lost their spacecraft (and all existing samples of an untainted Mars) through their own incompetence in low earth orbit, because this setting where a company can (almost) successfully pull off a two-year Mars mission in a spacecraft with an interior the size of a small apartment building, no other options exist to get extra people off the ISS.

And yeah, my vote is for keeping the Holbrook comics.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm absolutely of the opinion that copyright law on a whole lot of stuff is hosed and there's no real excuse for companies to hold on to legacy trademarks for stuff that's now older than most people alive on the planet, but also it's hard to feel like Allison isn't asking for a fight sometimes. I just don't get what's in his head sometimes, as a creator. IMO Steeple was the best thing he's done in a long time and he just kinda said "nah, gently caress that, I'm done with it", which was just baffling to me.

He gave up on Steeple after it failed as a print comic, right? Someone who wants to make it in paper comics needs to be more sensitive to copyright, even if it is BS. Sorta feels like he's throwing a fit.

Keep or post Holbrooks, I don't read them, I will stop and read one or two a month when they're quoted with an especially shocked reaction, but I do not care.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Olive & Popeye

Our Boarding House (July 2-4, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (July 3, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (September 21-23, 1922; modesty timg for Aunt Eppie)

Let's work out like it's 1922!

Dok's Dippy 007 (March 10, 1915)

The Adventures of Marmaduke (February 15-17, 1940)

Elsewhere on the Daily Worker sports page, a name that's going to linger.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 24, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I have a sinking feeling that this storyline is about to get a bit uncomfortable, racial-depiction-wise. Still, so far I've been really enjoying Modesty and Willie very calmly being the two most competent people on the planet as they build a goddamn FORGE to repair their crashed plane.

AFAIR i think it actually decently surprised me, had some standard 'savage wisdom' tropes but was otherwise okay?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
So I read the Olive Oyl comic when it pops up but like..I don't remember if we ever heard about how Olive got these powers, she just kind of..suddenly was in a comic where she could see ghosts now as far as I remember.

Also I'm very glad for WAR baby growing up and for Rie's bday party. I missed Haraiso Days :3:

Trash Goblin
Dec 19, 2020

I'm mostly a lurker so maybe this is hypocritical to say, but I'm of the opinion of "post more comics, not less", unless there's something truly heinous about it.

I don't like Holbrook but he's like the living embodiment of the "X goes brrr" meme, which is sort of funny in it's own way. I do wish he'd think twice before tackling sensitive issues like queerness, but I'll take a "well-meaning idiot" than "actively hateful" like, say, Dustin. That being said, I don't actually read the backlog Vox posts (sorry!) just because I find walls of comics kind of tedious to get through.

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm appreciative of everyone who takes time to post comics, whether I like them or not.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I don't think it's good when hateful or just plain disgusting comics get posted here (getting rid of Dilbert and mceldowney were objectively correct moves, for examples), but Holbrook is merely unfathomably stupid, and that's fine imo

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Holbrook seems a lot like the people who mean well but have no idea how offensive/stupid they can be. They got heart but no brains.

I will still take that any day over the Dustin fuckers who are actively horrible with all intent to be that way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah. His work's dumb but in an incredible mind boggling way

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Good Listener posted:

So I read the Olive Oyl comic when it pops up but like..I don't remember if we ever heard about how Olive got these powers, she just kind of..suddenly was in a comic where she could see ghosts now as far as I remember.

It happened last June. Olive pretty much died in that cave after something called a soul leech tried to eat her, then she spent a few weeks as a ghost while Petunia toted her body around until they found a solution. The "I see dead people" thing was a side effect.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

god. well. okay.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Trash Goblin posted:

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm appreciative of everyone who takes time to post comics, whether I like them or not.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

What even happens in Dilbert these days? I don't think I've read a strip in...15 years?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Dilbert was dropped from newspapers last year because, well :wtc:

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/26/1159580425/newspapers-have-dropped-the-dilbert-comic-strip-after-a-racist-rant-by-its-creat

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's literally only available via subscription service from the right-wing crowd-funding site that was set up after sargon of akkad got banned from patreon for hate speech. nobody reads dilbert these days.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Kazinsal posted:

I'm not gonna lie, it's baffling that there's more demand for Holbrook to stop being posted when the thread also has Dustin, a hack comic strip written by a no poo poo far right political cartoonist, and that doesn't get nearly as much genuine "this comic is poo poo and shouldn't be posted".

I would very much prefer Dustin get the boot over Holbrook, yeah. Holbrook is a loving disaster, but its like watching a never-ending train wreck, I can't look away and I am morbidly fascinated by everything Holbrook does wrong both by accident and on purpose.

E: Batiuk, on the other hand, can take a long walk off a short pier. Why does HIS poo poo keep getting posted but Holbrook is an issue?

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 24, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://x.com/drawbrandondraw/status/1744475815264333887

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary :drac:

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

"And they said nobody would want to see Hippopenheimer."

Been casting around for another strip to post; that Spectickles was too ugly and unfunny to keep on with.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

EasyEW posted:

It happened last June. Olive pretty much died in that cave after something called a soul leech tried to eat her, then she spent a few weeks as a ghost while Petunia toted her body around until they found a solution. The "I see dead people" thing was a side effect.

Synthbuttrange posted:

god. well. okay.

see, if it maintained this kind of plot, it would be a lot closer to the original. but what it's missing--why people have the "god. well. okay." reaction to it--is that neo-popeye characters behave like normal people in the face of grand weirdness, as opposed to either arbitrarily violent, unflappable, or comically cowardly. they aren't enough like cartoon characters for the kind of character that popeye and olive should be.

and also wimpy didn't gently caress any of the ghosts as far as i know, which is quite out of character for wimpy as we know him

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Samovar posted:

I don't read Holbrook for reasons of maintaining my own sanity

:lol: that you say that and then post the fever-dream that is Corto Maltese

(I'm sure i would like Corto Maltese, if i ever knew what was going on in it.)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 24, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

This one hit its beats just right for me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

It's Italian, there's a cultural/linguistic barrier, plus Eurocomics are just Like That. I shudder to imagine the reverse scenario, someone ESL trying to understand Holbrook and the constant pregnancies.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Oh dear. I don't remember this storyline, but it's going to be rough, isn't it?

Luann

Gil Thorp

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kavak posted:

It's Italian, there's a cultural/linguistic barrier, plus Eurocomics are just Like That. I shudder to imagine the reverse scenario, someone ESL trying to understand Holbrook and the constant pregnancies.
Light novels exist and so do assorted Italian comics, look at what they did with Daffy Duck and Tintin. They'd figure it out.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

(I'm sure i would like Corto Maltese, if i ever knew what was going on in it.)

I think the current Corto Maltese storyline is literally about a guy having a fever dream, but fair.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Powered Descent posted:

If it gets problematic, I'll wrap the pages in spoiler tags. Someone mentioned upthread this one doesn't age well, but I read the pages the same time I post them, so I don't know going in what I'll see each day.

Also, Murdstone, I appreciate you posting Classic A3G, but this current storyline is a real turd. Any chance you could move on to the next one?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also I've only been skimming past the current classic dick tracy because it's giving me real bad vibes that its going to end in an incredibly racist manner.
I read the entire arc when it started because I also got bad vibes. It's...not good, but I'm not sure it rises above the ambient not-good of The Copaganda Comic? That said I post Locher-era Tracy as a "look at this stupid poo poo" comic so it's no skin off my back skipping past this arc if people want.

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Transmodiar posted:

Less John Allison in this thread is a good thing.

Transmodiar posted:

I do not miss Sally Forth one iota. Seeing it quoted earlier on this page only reinforced how little I give a poo poo about Ted Forth and his banal, wordy nonsense.

Are you just collecting bad opinions these days or what?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Haraiso Days

What a big post of awwww to start the day with

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

the only plan i've ever entertained w/r/t not posting Holbrook anymore is giving the other two to Vox Valentine once they catch up to K&K

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 22, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 24, 2024