Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing Safe Havens from the beginning (after the K&K recap is caught up!). Because it sounds like that one's had... a journey to end up where it is now.

Edit: Oh God, not a page snipe. Not with this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm just gonna ask, but does anyone actually want holbrook to be posted? on the individual comic level he's no oh baby but getting a shotgun blast of him everyday (backlog or no backlog all three of his comic strips are terrible) might make him worse on a quantitive level at least

I feel like they hold the fabric of the thread together. That and few other barely palatable strips like FooB or Crankshaft that I sort of hate-read.

I think there's an audience for about everything that's posted, whether they're read because people hate them or that people are nostalgic. I posted Kliban for about two years before I ran out of material and there was a small audience for it but I posted it because it had a deeper meaning for me. There's also a few strips I read not because I like them but because they're like slowly coasting past a traffic accident.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
For what it's worth I enjoy reading Holbrook's comics. Not for the reasons he intends, perhaps, but still. Hate reading was the original reason for these threads after all.

Powered Descent posted:

I have a sinking feeling that this storyline is about to get a bit uncomfortable, racial-depiction-wise. Still, so far I've been really enjoying Modesty and Willie very calmly being the two most competent people on the planet as they build a goddamn FORGE to repair their crashed plane.

Synthbuttrange posted:

AFAIR i think it actually decently surprised me, had some standard 'savage wisdom' tropes but was otherwise okay?

Transmodiar posted:

If it gets problematic, I'll wrap the pages in spoiler tags. Someone mentioned upthread this one doesn't age well, but I read the pages the same time I post them, so I don't know going in what I'll see each day.

I recall it as having aged the worst of the Modesty Blaise stories I've seen here. If I'm remembering correctly, there's a village in the jungle that worships a safe or something, hence the "Iron God," and you get all the tropes you would assume go along with that concept. But I dunno, maybe I'm remembering it as worse than it is.

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 25, 1962)

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 24, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Vox Valentine posted:

Light novels exist and so do assorted Italian comics, look at what they did with Daffy Duck and Tintin. They'd figure it out.

Do please expand on that because it sounds fascinating. I was not aware Italians did anything in particular with Daffy or Tintin.

They do love to adapt Disney properties in strange, novel ways (e.g. 90's Duck Avenger being a cosmic super hero fighting aliens when before that he was just a Batman-like identity dealing with local thugs).

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I’m not going to let the closest Mark Trail has gotten to competently telling a joke in months slip past unnoticed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kid Fenris posted:

Who's his new girlfriend? Wasn't Slylock dating a red fox lady in previous strips? The utter cad!
Pretty sure that's a colouring error. Slylock is still only cheating on his girlfriend with Cassandra Cat.

amigolupus posted:

Oh, and I can cut down on commenting about Holbrook's comics, if it helps not clog up the thread.
Not to dismiss the effort people go to digging up old comics or translating foreign ones, but commenting on comics is kind of the point of the thread. Anything that's already freely available on gocomics or comics kingdom may as well not be posted at all if no one's talking about it.

MockingQuantum posted:

IMO Steeple was the best thing he's done in a long time and he just kinda said "nah, gently caress that, I'm done with it", which was just baffling to me.
Having been reading his comics for many years, I think that's pretty much what always happens.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Been casting around for another strip to post
If you're taking suggestions: Frog Applause.

Transmodiar posted:

Also, Murdstone, I appreciate you posting Classic A3G, but this current storyline is a real turd. Any chance you could move on to the next one?
Careful what you wish for; the next one might be a Tommie story.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
What makes Olive and Popeye so weak is that it's painfully obvious somebody had a Ghost-Talker Meets Plucky Young Niece Of Charon story and bolted it onto an unrelated legacy IP because they're friends with Randy.

Removes a lot of benefit of the doubt when writing quirks that could be attributed to the story are instead somebody missing the mark of what makes Popeye work, but enough about Randy, ha cha cha. If Olive and Popeye was Name, Ghost-Talker in Hel's Bells!!! then it might be growing on people as a middling work with signs of promise.

Also it's come up a few times but as awful as some strips like Batiuk are they're still entertaining and tolerable as one a day peeks. You can easily ignore them and every so often they surprise us with a legendary stinker. I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Batiuk's work but I still chuckle at the awful Funky finale or that time they saved somebody from ICE by calling in a personal pizza favor from Bill Clinton.

And we couldn't deny the thread their daily Ed hate! Hell, Dustin has the same bizarre hellworld structure as Holbrook's stuff that is fun to occasionally overthink.

Mexikids! What a twist!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 24, 2024

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Medenmath posted:

I recall it as having aged the worst of the Modesty Blaise stories I've seen here. If I'm remembering correctly, there's a village in the jungle that worships a safe or something, hence the "Iron God," and you get all the tropes you would assume go along with that concept. But I dunno, maybe I'm remembering it as worse than it is.

oh right i mixed it up with the Blaise in Australia one. yikes!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

As much as I dislike Holbrook, I think Dustin is worse because it's not even fun to hate or bad in an interesting way? It's just generic mean-spirited "youth is shiftless and lazy, his dad is very put-upon but also lazy and weak (you can tell because he's fat), the women in their life are women so they be shoppin'" stuff and it's always a bringdown.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i don't like holbrook, but i think the main reason he grates on the thread in ways other authors don't is that we get eight whole strips of his poo poo per day (except on blessed "no safe havens on sunday" sundays) across four plotlines that range from garbage to nonsense at any given time

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Kavak posted:

He gave up on Steeple after it failed as a print comic, right? Someone who wants to make it in paper comics needs to be more sensitive to copyright, even if it is BS. Sorta feels like he's throwing a fit.

Keep or post Holbrooks, I don't read them, I will stop and read one or two a month when they're quoted with an especially shocked reaction, but I do not care.

This seems like a really lovely way to respond to someone who's been victimized by copyright trolls.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Honestly I'm still not sure why nu-Heart got so much hate for this style of art when it was posted the first time. I think the character designs are cute.

Alley Oop

Curtis

Again, I gotta ask, when was the last time we saw Michelle being any of those things? Her most defining on-screen emotion is "annoyance" because she's annoyed at the little creep that keeps showing up at her door and makes AI art of them kissing. At most she's shown as being too interested in her phone.

Curtis and Barry on the other hand, are all of those things regularly!

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Reading Holbrook is like watching a b-grade sci-fi movie on some fuzzy UHF channel on a Saturday afternoon. The writing is often fascinatingly nonsensical and you can see where the creator is struggling to bring to life something far beyond his talent. I love these strips in the same way I used to love the dumb old movies, so please never stop posting.

Also, he gets mad respect from me simply because of how many comics he puts out every day. Holbrook is a seriously hard working cartoonist.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Honestly I'm still not sure why nu-Heart got so much hate for this style of art when it was posted the first time. I think the character designs are cute.

I agree. Although I have to say starting an interesting storyline about Heart getting involved in guerilla road repairs and then cutting to reruns just as the cops show up is a weird decision. I hope they didn't cut that story short for political reasons or something. I could see an editor wanting to avoid showing a kid breaking the law in a relatively realistic way, which would be unfortunate.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Medenmath posted:

I agree. Although I have to say starting an interesting storyline about Heart getting involved in guerilla road repairs and then cutting to reruns just as the cops show up is a weird decision. I hope they didn't cut that story short for political reasons or something. I could see an editor wanting to avoid showing a kid breaking the law in a relatively realistic way, which would be unfortunate.

Last time Heart suddenly went into reruns it was because the artist developed some sort of tendonitis or carpal-tunnel style wrist injury and literally couldn't draw for like a week and a half. I think a lingering injury or flare-up is more likely than an editorial decision, but who knows.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Vargo posted:

Last time Heart suddenly went into reruns it was because the artist developed some sort of tendonitis or carpal-tunnel style wrist injury and literally couldn't draw for like a week and a half. I think a lingering injury or flare-up is more likely than an editorial decision, but who knows.

That makes sense. But for their sake I hope they took a spontaneous vacation instead. :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

That strip's actually from a few months into Steenz's run. Go back to the start and the characters' faces are weird. Muppety. The eyes are the most obvious difference, but everything seems a bit off.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

How the heck is that screen supposed to be working? I'm picturing a lackey on the ground frantically trying to hold a projector steady.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

How the heck is that screen supposed to be working? I'm picturing a lackey on the ground frantically trying to hold a projector steady.

It's actually just a flag. Any difference in appearance between panels is a mistake by the artist and not supposed to indicate motion. :pseudo:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I wonder if/when new strips will resume. I wouldn't mind a rerun if it was just a couple of days, but this was a whole storyline with several strips and it will continue for a few more days at the very least.

I imagine the author burned through whatever backlog was available while needing some time off (vacation or life emergency)?

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(11/29/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/4/1994)

Ziggy

(11/30/1971)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

:same:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

My Lovely Horse posted:

He's a Tech Bro, it's using Tech. Don't worry about it. (I thought the strip was funny and it made me realize that the real issue with Nu-Trail is that Jules keeps feinting towards this being a Saturday Morning Cartoon World and then stopping short of following through on that promise. Go all in, the strip should be ridiculous! Mark should talk to animals constantly, all the villains should have inexplicable tech like that helicopter.)

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Hey if we wanna talk about comics that suck, this one right here. Heathcliff is just cycling through endless permutations on the same dozen or so ideas: Gum. Helmets. Garbage Ape. Pugs. Ham. Every day is an exercise in smishing those elements together in different ways but the jokes ("jokes") are always the same.

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Speaking of Comics That Suck (Seriously, Put The Cat Indoors)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i just want to say how much loving Lavender Jack rocks.

"The man who can't be compromised has yet to be born, Sir Mimley."

"Very true, very true. .....so what do you say we invent him?"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I honestly think it's pretty great that Ronal's deal so far is extremely normal dude who just loves his wife. Seems like a pretty good outcome for what had to be at least partially a political marriage.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

JethroMcB posted:

He's a Tech Bro, it's using Tech. Don't worry about it. (I thought the strip was funny and it made me realize that the real issue with Nu-Trail is that Jules keeps feinting towards this being a Saturday Morning Cartoon World and then stopping short of following through on that promise. Go all in, the strip should be ridiculous! Mark should talk to animals constantly, all the villains should have inexplicable tech like that helicopter.)

You know, I wasn't sure if I liked this strip or not but you helped me see that it's a good one. Jules really should commit to the bit!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

EasyEW posted:

It happened last June. Olive pretty much died in that cave after something called a soul leech tried to eat her, then she spent a few weeks as a ghost while Petunia toted her body around until they found a solution. The "I see dead people" thing was a side effect.

This sounds vaguely familiar now. My brain might've just tossed this information out. Appreciate it!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Slowli

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/23/04

Brenda Starr 1/29-31/53

It seems like there are quite a few words for "female gigolo."

Smokey Stover 2/12/61

Everyday Movies 6/19/37

"Tomorrow you won't have to wash the dishes, dear, it's Father's day."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/29-31/43

Closer Than We Think! 2/12/61

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

On my last flight, luggage was unloaded so quickly that in the time it took us to take the mobile lounges to customs and then get through (which took less time than getting there thanks to Global Entry) that it was all sitting on the floor waiting for everyone.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A business where the outcome isn't especially clear but the founders are pushing forward with it anyway.

These women are all set for a techbro multibillion dollar IPO.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Transmodiar posted:

Also, Murdstone, I appreciate you posting Classic A3G, but this current storyline is a real turd. Any chance you could move on to the next one?
I agree, but I don’t think that is feasible. I’m posting them as they are repeated daily by CK.

However there was a time when the CK archive was screwed up and I stopped posting A3G, but then they fixed it and I was still getting it in my daily email from them, and I wound up getting drawn into a story that I never posted but is the reason I started posting it again, so when I get home I’ll see if I can dig that one up.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Doomykins posted:

What makes Olive and Popeye so weak is that it's painfully obvious somebody had a Ghost-Talker Meets Plucky Young Niece Of Charon story and bolted it onto an unrelated legacy IP because they're friends with Randy.

Removes a lot of benefit of the doubt when writing quirks that could be attributed to the story are instead somebody missing the mark of what makes Popeye work, but enough about Randy, ha cha cha. If Olive and Popeye was Name, Ghost-Talker in Hel's Bells!!! then it might be growing on people as a middling work with signs of promise.

Even I'm not willing to go that hard to bat, because even if Olive wasn't the ghost talker, it'd still need to lead to an actual story to be satisfying. Okay, you've got the premise, you've restated it numerous times, now what? And for the most part, the "now what?" has been "Olive is so worn out from all the things we never get to see her do with those new powers." So we get her taking a lot of naps. But I've been following it because 1) it's still marketed as a Popeye thing, regardless of how it actually feels in the reading, and 2) I was curious, mainly about how long it would go on before we had a breakthrough.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 25, 1936)

Peanuts (April 27, 1977)

Cranky Shafterbean

RIp Haywire

Li'l Abner (May 20-30, 1936)

Thimble Theater (November 27, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 13-15, 1944; spoiler for wild west show-style stereotyping)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 24, 2024

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Saoshyant posted:

Do please expand on that because it sounds fascinating. I was not aware Italians did anything in particular with Daffy or Tintin.

They do love to adapt Disney properties in strange, novel ways (e.g. 90's Duck Avenger being a cosmic super hero fighting aliens when before that he was just a Batman-like identity dealing with local thugs).
I was very tired and phrased this extremely poorly.
1: I did in fact mean Donald Duck and not Daffy Duck.
2: I did not mean to imply that there was an Italian take on Tintin, just that Tintin in general exists in European comics (Tintin is specifically Belgian after all and, historically, oof ouch yikes owie) and European comics is a wild scene (Valerian, The Incal, Diabolik, etc.) with years of lore and history to it. It's in human nature to build stupid sprawling mythologies and canons over small ideas, they'd manage reading Holbrook's stuff but it would be extremely funny to see someone take it as seriously as someone would take, like, the Fate/Stay canon.

riderchop posted:

the only plan i've ever entertained w/r/t not posting Holbrook anymore is giving the other two to Vox Valentine once they catch up to K&K
I do not think I would actually do this because the only reason I did this to begin with is to pick up where Mikl left off on their project and keep the books of Holbrook content balanced. I would not like to be solely responsible for all of the Holbrook content that isn't Tiggum tricking me into clicking those awful videos because I do not want the entire thread blocking me or ignoring my posts, you at least have variety and stuff people want to read in the mix.

Pandemic Lust Comix

alright no actually why doesn't Fiona just live with the Dewclaws. And I know it's a purity reason but Rudy makes a fairly good point, he legit cares about her and living with 20 other people, it's not an unreasonable risk vector reduction for her to just go live with them for a minute. Can't be unmarried and cohabitate I guess.

You keep trying to make the rabbits and their culture some kind of endearing and quirky and instead they come off as xenophobes dressed as food-themed circus clowns.

If It Was Boeing There Would Be Way More Dead Astronauts

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 24, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Cranky Shafterbean

Between last week's strips and this, I'm starting to think that TomBat is doing some The Secret crap and trying to manifest somebody asking him to do a book signing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vox Valentine posted:

If It Was Boeing There Would Be Way More Dead Astronauts

The first crewed launch of the Boeing Starliner is slated for May 7. Happy thoughts and good luck rituals are all appreciated. :pray:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Powered Descent posted:

The first crewed launch of the Boeing Starliner is slated for May 7. Happy thoughts and good luck rituals are all appreciated. :pray:

quote:

but Boeing announced in August 2023 that it would be delayed to no earlier than March 2024 due to issues with the parachute system and wiring harnesses and further investigations.
On second thought, space exploration was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Hippocrass posted:

On second thought, space exploration was a mistake.

It is when you involve Boeing.

I thought we are supposed to get astronauts up there and then down here safely?