Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In defence of Corto Maltese, its incoherence comes from it being very dreamy. Whereas Holbrook's is just pants-on-head level incoherence. On that note... (Spoilers for old-timey term for Romani peoples)

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Murdstone posted:

I agree, but I don’t think that is feasible. I’m posting them as they are repeated daily by CK.

However there was a time when the CK archive was screwed up and I stopped posting A3G, but then they fixed it and I was still getting it in my daily email from them, and I wound up getting drawn into a story that I never posted but is the reason I started posting it again, so when I get home I’ll see if I can dig that one up.

Thanks! I thought you had full access to the archives, not the current drip feed. A different story that drew you in would be much appreciated.

Safety Dance posted:

Are you just collecting bad opinions these days or what?

I'm a huge fan of Bad Machinery and even posted "Wen-TACK" and "The Great Unboxing" but I have not found his recent material anywhere near as engaging. Didn't like Solver, didn't like the post-print run of Steeple, and just started scrolling when it got to the Batman and Conan stuff. Allison feels like he's spinning his wheels.

As for Sally Forth, I've hated its relentless verbosity for years. Nothing "these days" about it.

Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Spoilered for nudity and, er, pidgin English?

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 24, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A little bit of yelling as Guffie passes that message to the absolute worst possible person to receive it. :argh:

Great fever dream sequence for Corto!

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

i just want to say how much loving Lavender Jack rocks.

"The man who can't be compromised has yet to be born, Sir Mimley."

"Very true, very true. .....so what do you say we invent him?"

its sick!!! saying again that you gotta go read Lavender Jack!! even if the UI is a bit rear end!!

https://www.webtoons.com/en/super-hero/lavender-jack/episode-1/viewer?title_no=1410&episode_no=1

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 26, 1910)

Bob Fitzsimmons

Baron Bean(April 26, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 26, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 17, 1919)

Us Boys(April 24, 1912)

The Gumps(May 23, 1917)

Spoilered due to porter.

Bringing up Father(January 7, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 10 - 11, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 6, 1918)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I'm still a week behind on the proper thread but I saw enough replies to the last post that I realize I should clarify, translating The Wandering Culinarian isn't a drain on my mental health. If anything, it's the exact opposite, I'm just not sure that alone makes it a worthwhile use of my time. This is really more of an issue of my personal time management lately than it is anything to do with the comic itself. I'm not going to pretend like positive enforcement doesn't influence me, though.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
a few pages behind, but while I hate Holbrook's comics and don't read them I'm weirdly hooked on reading people yell about them. It's fun!

also:

Crab Dad posted:

Corpulent is taking it a little far. I recall her being much more active, adventurous and daring than her boring rear end daughter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:thanks:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

LvK posted:

a few pages behind, but while I hate Holbrook's comics and don't read them I'm weirdly hooked on reading people yell about them. It's fun!

also:

gently caress

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

LvK posted:

also:

Ok ok enough.

I didn’t recall ever seeing those hosed up Jimbo feeder comics. Holy poo poo that’s vile.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

This is unseemly

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LvK posted:

also:

Jesus Christ

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I only remembered "Does this dress make me look fat?" "Sadly, no." which was at least somewhat amusing. These are just horrible.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

I really like Uchida’s instinct to turn things into teachable moments (as we say in the Ed Biz). Not showing him the smashed cup as some kind of punishment, but just because he should see what happens when you drop a cup.

Haraiso Days

quote:

Countblanc posted:

Why isn't the host club guy who has a crush on her at Rie's party. What the gently caress.
Oh, like he’d miss it!

(I think it's safe to say they're dating.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:kimchi:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Julet Esqu posted:

Home Free

This is unseemly
man I know this comic's premise is "the house is under renovation and all the cool family members are miserable" but it's really committed to that, huh.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Hell yeah Rie, cast your spell on him.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/23-25/52

Archie 3/23-25/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 7/17/77

(the numbers are right, but by most statistics Christy Mathewson was the best NL pitcher in 1909.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 7/17/77

(the numbers are right, but by most statistics Christy Mathewson was the best NL pitcher in 1909.)

Sounds like Herbert is a hack!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mansplainversation

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LvK posted:

also:

Thanks, I hate it

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So after some thought, I figured I might as well finish posting Allison's REDACTED: The Blood Egg. I was worried that it might get the thread in legal trouble with CPI, but then I figured something like that would have happened long ago with some other creator or syndicate. I'll be posting in t'img format, since the images I pulled from the pdf are huge. I'll also stick to the M-W-F schedule.

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Also, regarding Allison's decision to work with characters that aren't his, he addressed this in a Patreon post. Partially it was an attempt to get new readers, which Allison admitted didn't work but I could see his reasoning – fans of Batman / Wolverine / Conan might read his stories with those characters and, if they like them, look into other works by Allison.

The other part had to do with Allison wanting a change up from the more grounded stories he had be writing thus far, and working with these characters gave him a springboard to do so. Allison did state that when he used these characters he would try to write them they way they had always been written; Batman would still be Batman, Conan would still be Conan, etc. I think that if Allison had just made up his own versions of these characters these diversions might not have worked as useful exercises in exploring other styles.

That's the gist of it at least. I'm probably not explaining as well as I should. Allison has admitted that he's in a creative slump. It's not that he doesn't have ideas, it's just that he's not sure those ideas are marketable. His decision to end Steeple mostly came from Dark Horse declining to print a fourth volume of the comics.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 24, 2024

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Oh, like he’d miss it!

The Powerful Katrinka Rie.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Is it my imagination or was there a story where he was actually secretly feeding her fatty foods?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Transmodiar posted:

Thanks! I thought you had full access to the archives, not the current drip feed. A different story that drew you in would be much appreciated.
I do, but if I go to some random spot, then when that story is over, I'll have to either continue from there or come back to the current one and it just sounded complicated to keep track of. Plus I don't know if it'll be a good story anyways. We'll see how things work out with this one.

If I remember right it took a little while for me to get into this one because of 70s gender role stuff, but after a bit I got to like the characters and got invested. Plus that's what you get with 70s A3G anyways.

There's a bit of overlap with the previous Newton Figg story, so I'm posting two today because of that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm glad someone had that amazingly terrible set of strips laying around. The curse is now free from my head and passed on to you all.

Scary Go Round (April 17-19, 2006)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The_Other posted:

The other part had to do with Allison wanting a change up from the more grounded stories he had be writing thus far, and working with these characters gave him a springboard to do so. Allison did state that when he used these characters he would try to write them they way they had always been written; Batman would still be Batman, Conan would still be Conan, etc. I think that if Allison had just made up his own versions of these characters these diversions might not have worked as useful exercises in exploring other styles.

I dunno. There have been dozens of mighty-thewed barbarian heroes in fiction, many of them barely disguised Conan knockoffs. I don't see why Allison couldn't have gone the same route.

Plus, to be honest, "The Blood Egg" so far doesn't feel like a Conan story to me. It's more like someone's D&D game where the party is mostly expies of Allison's characters.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This seems really noisy. I guess Phantom's off taking a poo poo?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGn99_WPBqQ

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

LvK posted:

also:

mods ban this sick filth

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
By putting sugar and milk or creamer in it. Next question.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Transmodiar posted:

I'm a huge fan of Bad Machinery and even posted "Wen-TACK" and "The Great Unboxing" but I have not found his recent material anywhere near as engaging. Didn't like Solver, didn't like the post-print run of Steeple, and just started scrolling when it got to the Batman and Conan stuff. Allison feels like he's spinning his wheels.

I was completely unfamiliar with Allison until I started reading this thread and caught a reposting of The Case of the Good Boy. I thought it and the later story with the selkie were both really excellent ...and that nothing else of Allison's (that I've seen) has been anywhere near as good.

Steeple did come close at points, though.

Selachian posted:

Plus, to be honest, "The Blood Egg" so far doesn't feel like a Conan story to me. It's more like someone's D&D game where the party is mostly expies of Allison's characters.

Honestly, yeah. I know Conan has however many decades of comic stories I'm unfamiliar with, but the original Howard stories have a very clear voice that The Blood Egg doesn't really try to imitate.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 25, 2024

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Selachian posted:

Yeah, if you're trying to get out of a rut and write a Conan story, don't put friggin' Lottie Grote and Desmond Fishman in it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Selachian posted:

I dunno. There have been dozens of mighty-thewed barbarian heroes in fiction, many of them barely disguised Conan knockoffs. I don't see why Allison couldn't have gone the same route.

Yeah, I feel like it would be more meaningful as a creative exercise if he weren't just writing Conan with the usual Allison cast around him; it doesn't actually feel fresh at all as a reader, and I can't imagine it's as valuable as it would be if he were going for a full clean-slate pastiche. Dude really needs to just do something completely novel and leave the old stories behind him.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Man Mary Worth tries to make Wilbur likeable, right? Like, is that what they are going for? Or is he a proto-Dustin where we should hate him?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

mary worth constantly seems to want the reader to have sympathy for the worst people and it's not even funny anymore, it just sucks

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 25, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Follow my lead: Have a friend who only drinks coffee with multiple creamers and sugars in it, decide that taking yours black would be a great way to one-up him in some vague masculinity contest that only you're playing.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh my God DO SOMETHING. HAVE SOMETHING HAPPEN. ANYTHING. ANYTHING OTHER THAN HAVE THIS FREAKIN HUMP MOPE AROUND FOR AN ENTIRE G-D WEEK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

and then the vet is rene bellusio!

rex morgan is the physical manifestation of anti-tension