Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

But... this is the Before video. You WANT her to be unfocused, right? Like, that's your whole thing? Finding her a new brand?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

:confused: Did the helicopter do that? Like, by bumping the screen into the electrical box? I guess it's just about the only thing that could have, but the art completely fails to communicate the action, and it's also hard to imagine a scenario where that happened and the aircraft would still be flying along completely undamaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nostalgamus posted:

I only remembered "Does this dress make me look fat?" "Sadly, no." which was at least somewhat amusing. These are just horrible.

Yeah, it's easy to remember the more subtle ones and think that's the worst of it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Thinking about it Allison is pretty much relying on dumb luck to expand his audience at this point.

You can read BM and Solver(undercooked BM+) online. Anything else you've got to be told about by an existing fan or see in a digital/physical comic shop. Most of the printed comics are more BM for superfans of BM. Even people who remember his older work can only hope to find it in esoteric pockets of Allison fans passing pdfs around or sharing the comics to small groups. Worse still his luck can be bad too. Ending Steeple with a fart had to cut off a few of those people who randomly gave it a try.

His fanworks can't expand the audience. It'd be pure luck that a significant number of readers from say the Batman fandom saw a fanwork that was online for the 3 weeks it ran before vanishing forever. That's hoping for a miracle viraling... and Allison cut the second half of it short anyway.

The only way forward is a full story with a fresh idea/setting. He can appeal to people who love BM but he already has them on lockdown. Playing chicken with copyright lawyers and popular IPs has failed him three times already. And it'd be nice if you could read Scary Go Round in full on the website named after it, or if his next work limited itself to a single panel Shelly cameo.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Doomykins posted:

And it'd be nice if you could read Scary Go Round in full on the website named after it, or if his next work limited itself to a single panel Shelly cameo.
Or none! Put Tackleford in the bin for good and all! I'd be surprised if his remaining loyal fanbase, being loyal, was so married to Tackleford content that they'd ditch if he tried a completely new setting, and he's been writing in it for, what, a quarter of a century now. Heck, I for one be 1000% more interested in something if it didn't have drat Shelly Winters or Lottie Grote in it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i think john allison makes some good comics and also has his head unfathomably far up his own rear end

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah, we got a solid 20 years out of Tackleford. It's time to move on to something else. Wales, maybe.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

It should've been Zebus' time to shine as I foretold when he posited this idea years ago.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Dinette

Popcom

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:staredog:

:wtc:

Nice to see the return of The Dinette Set!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Giant Ethicist posted:

(I think it's safe to say they're dating.)

This one made me legit smile :3:

Also to further add to the fetishes, don't forget that Rose wants Jimbo to be bald. I don't know why I remember this but I do.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

:suspense:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kyle is going to turn out to be a dick

Also those out our way Indians didn't need to be spoiled but it's whatever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah the OOW is the indians being forced into those conditions isnt it? :(

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

Man Mary Worth tries to make Wilbur likeable, right? Like, is that what they are going for? Or is he a proto-Dustin where we should hate him?

It's really unclear to me. Wilbur is consistently written as overtly selfish and unkind, but then never faces any comeuppance, and most of the characters laugh away his shittiness or give a wry smile and an "oh, Wilbur" as if it's not possible for him to change, so why try.

Like, Moy seems to be aware that Wilbur gets tongues wagging, and so carefully avoids him doing anything but continue to be the same piece of poo poo.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
How long has Wilbur been in the strip anyway? Will he be showing up in the Classic Mary Worth strips any time soon?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Legend of Bill

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Breadmaster posted:

How long has Wilbur been in the strip anyway? Will he be showing up in the Classic Mary Worth strips any time soon?

Early-mid 90's I believe.

EDIT: 1993
https://joshreads.com/2022/08/wilbur-origins/

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

kidcoelacanth posted:

i think john allison makes some good comics and also has his head unfathomably far up his own rear end
:same:

Also agreeing with the people saying he should probably try something without Tackleford/any of his previous characters in it. To his credit he does keep individual stories parseable even if you're not aware of Obscure Character From 20 Years Ago In Scary Go Round, but it's hard to deny that recycling his own characters this much is swallowing up creative space. Like, I like Lottie's character, but is there any good reason the rogue in this had to be Conanverse Lottie? I won't pretend I didn't enjoy what we got, but if he wants to get out of a rut, he needs to, y'know, stop doing the same things over and over.

1981 comics

Nancy spoilered for anti-Roma slur.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Mexikid dad is hilarious
He is my problematic fave

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

G.D., Pedro's dad keeps being the worst.

Transmodiar posted:

I'm a huge fan of Bad Machinery and even posted "Wen-TACK" and "The Great Unboxing" but I have not found his recent material anywhere near as engaging. Didn't like Solver, didn't like the post-print run of Steeple, and just started scrolling when it got to the Batman and Conan stuff. Allison feels like he's spinning his wheels.

As for Sally Forth, I've hated its relentless verbosity for years. Nothing "these days" about it.

I agree with you on not liking both Allison and Sally Forth. Solvers could've been something, but Lottie's boy band nonsense derailed the entire thing. And the sudden non-ending of Steeple has made Allison's comics lose its shine for me so I never even read the Conan comic.

Sally Forth sucks. The verbosity tricks you into thinking it might be good, but the actual content has so little to say. You can trim 50% off the dialogue and lose nothing of value. Not to mention that due to the speech balloons taking up so much space, Sally Forth is practically a talking heads webcomic at times. It also tries to do some serious plot beats but either they keep rehashing the same thing over and over to the point you just want them to get on with it (i.e. Sally's mom being a piece of poo poo bully) or it just outright forgets it's a thing and never gets resolved (i.e. One of Hil's friends having anxiety attacks because her parents seem to be getting a divorce but they're not telling the kid anything).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

b]Heathcliff[/b]

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 23, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been ragging on Tauhid's fantasy stories a lot but he's absolutely nailing the balance with this one.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well if you already know your role, then...

What kind of answer could he possibly be expecting here? It's not a magic trick.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Man Mary Worth tries to make Wilbur likeable, right? Like, is that what they are going for? Or is he a proto-Dustin where we should hate him?
He's definitely not meant to be likeable. If he was, he wouldn't keep getting dumped and falling off ships and so forth. You're supposed to enjoy watching him suffer and fail.

JethroMcB posted:

Oh my God DO SOMETHING. HAVE SOMETHING HAPPEN. ANYTHING. ANYTHING OTHER THAN HAVE THIS FREAKIN HUMP MOPE AROUND FOR AN ENTIRE G-D WEEK
Nah, this is what I read Mary Worth for. This is the good bit. :sickos:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bruceski posted:

This one hit its beats just right for me.

Are those other heads the monsters parents heads?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

PetraCore posted:

I honestly think it's pretty great that Ronal's deal so far is extremely normal dude who just loves his wife. Seems like a pretty good outcome for what had to be at least partially a political marriage.

Anagram of Ronal is Arlo(n)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Dec. 02, 1962)

It looks like imgur is finally messing with my albums or whatever so I may have to find a new host soon.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 25, 2024

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I've enjoyed John Allison's work since Bobbins days, and it really sucks to have seen him come so far only to wind up in whatever the hell hole he's currently in.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Ho ho! Killing animals! A ripping good time :buddy:

Tiggum posted:

He's definitely not meant to be likeable. If he was, he wouldn't keep getting dumped and falling off ships and so forth. You're supposed to enjoy watching him suffer and fail.
Know what else we would enjoy? Seeing him face some goddamn consequences for a change.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Ho ho! Killing animals! A ripping good time :buddy:

Know what else we would enjoy? Seeing him face some goddamn consequences for a change.

IDK he seems to be living in a misery of his own making, so that's something.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/2/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/5/1994)

Ziggy

(12/1/1971)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

You know what, Curtis is laying really heavy on the Michelle stuff right now and it grosses me out, so no more Curtis posting for a little bit!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/24/04

Brenda Starr 2/1/53

Smokey Stover 2/19/61

Everyday Movies 6/21/37

"He meets me like he says and he has the nerve to ask me to go to the planetarium with all them fishes."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/1/43

I can't find Closer Than We Think! for February 19, 1961, anywhere, but a bit of searching on the "next week" term produced this:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tiggum posted:

What kind of answer could he possibly be expecting here? It's not a magic trick.

No, there's no real trick to it, but remember your first few cups of black coffee or your first few beers? You try it and it's usually disgusting, and off putting and you think to yourself "People actually drink this on purpose? And not only that, but they get some level of enjoyment out of it? How?" It doesn't make sense, because it's something you have to develop a taste for. But you just kind of assume that there's some trick to it.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

If you say so. I tried drinking it for a week and it never grew on me; it was actively draining my will to live instead. More power to you if you prefer it that way, but I just can't.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My advice these days to anybody trying to enjoy black coffee: if you've got access to a Chemex and high-quality beans, try it that way. I just started using a Chemex about two years ago and it's a game changer, the first time I used it was the first time in my 20 years of coffee guzzling that I actually tasted all the chocolate and fruit notes that the copy on the bag of coffee beans promised.

Embrace the Unicorn

What a Coincidence, I Just Thinking Yesterday About How Kick-rear end X2 Is

It's All Fun and Games Until They Hear Mimi Talk

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

"I say the answer is RACE WAR!" - Korro

also the Family Circus kids are way too goddamn young to be listening to rap.

also also: Intransigent?