Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

you know what, i like this one. we know the Lockhorns can be annoyed with each other but they really do love each other. unlike like 90% of married couples we see on this page.

and Jesus wept that FOOB stare from April in the last panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

also also: Intransigent?

Uncompromising.

Of course that makes it sound like the Giants just didn't want to pay more in taxes.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kell Gets Into Findom

I do not know why Holbrook has decided this has to be the week's theme but whatever it's his comic:

It's Not A Curse, You're Just Imperialists And Death Comes For You

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Angry_Ed posted:

Uncompromising.

Of course that makes it sound like the Giants just didn't want to pay more in taxes.
And if they're paying taxes, it sounds like they're also supposed to be citizens. Or perhaps that the increased fishing and mining activity from increased taxes encroached on the resources they needed. Either way, I'd bet money that the increased raids and animosity from the giants are linked to Korro being too much of a racist to listen to them.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 26, 1936)

Peanuts (April 28, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (June 1-3, 1936)

Thimble Theater (November 28, 1936)

Out Our Way (July 17-19, 1944)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

not only is Korro racist, he's even too stupid to understand that the whole point of racism is to punch down

shittiest Avatar ever

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Malachite_Dragon posted:

also the Family Circus kids are way too goddamn young to be listening to rap.
:corsair:

Retail

Dinette

Popcom

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Oh, my GOD! STOP!

e: Not you, EasyEW. You're cool.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 25, 2024

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Allison hinted at a sequel to The Great British Bump-Off last year, didn't he; so I guess he's working mainly on his print stuff for Dark Horse, set in Tackleford still

The residual attempts at online webcomickry might just be pure Patreon/promotional fodder, which doesn't necessarily need high circulation but instead a core of dedicated supporters

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well, that's it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If you say so. I tried drinking it for a week and it never grew on me; it was actively draining my will to live instead. More power to you if you prefer it that way, but I just can't.
I know taste buds can change over time, but never in my life have I had something stop tasting like poo poo just because I made myself eat/drink it multiple times.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

also the Family Circus kids are way too goddamn young to be listening to rap.
I hate to break it to you but rap is mainstream music now and kids that age are probably aware of it from ambiently hearing it Around, even if they're not really listening to it like an adult would.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Oh, my GOD! STOP!

e: Not you, EasyEW. You're cool.
TomBat is on a journey to see just how far he can get his head up his own rear end. I have no idea who the sincere audience for this poo poo is supposed to be anymore.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The first time I was fed cilantro I thought I'd been poisoned. Love that poo poo now. Also developed a taste for potato salad after 40+ years on the no-go list, so it does happen.

First sip of beer was definitely weird, but I knew deep down it wasn't gonna be my last.

comics edit: I think I've officially run out of patience for Rip Haywire. Who knew constant retcons/reboots could be so loving dull?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 25, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Man with all this discourse on Allison's work I feel bad for falling behind on my comics posting. Allow me to correct this oversight.

Bad Machinery

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 25, 2024

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

JethroMcB posted:

Embrace the Unicorn

Petey and His Unicorn was right there!

The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 27, 1910)

Baron Bean(April 27, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(March 27, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 18, 1919)

Us Boys(April25, 1912)

The Gumps(May 24, 1917)

Bringing up Father(January 10, 1913)

Abie the Agent(February 12, 1914)

"Cap" Stubbs(March 7, 1918)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Man with all this discourse on Allison's work I feel bad for falling behind on my comics posting. Allow me to correct this oversight.

gently caress the haters, it's moments like this that make Allison's work special.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
But... no one hates "Bad Machinery"...?

Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Spoilered for :nsfw:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I feel like Bad Machinery works so well for so many people because you can read it basically ignorant of the rest of the Allison-extended-universe. Steeple had a similar vibe, and was on track to be my favorite work by him until it suddenly crashed and burned. Someday I hope he revisits how it ended and adds a story that is a more satisfying follow-up for the characters. Knowing Allison, odds are good we'll see it again.

I grew up with Scary-Go-Round and I generally enjoy Allison's recurring characters, but I agree that he is setting himself up for failure by not moving away from them, and it feels like he's currently spinning his wheels. I don't like that he's dealing with copyright trolling on a story he seemed to be really enjoying, but it also wasn't doing much for me.

If Giant Days is his most commercially successful work, and Steeple was recently cancelled, I'm wondering if the message he took from that is that anything he does needs to have his most popular characters in it to succeed. Hence moving away from Tackleford but reusing his cast.

Idk. I don't think iterating on characters and not letting them go is always bad. In fact if I hated it, I'd never have read so much of Allison's work in the first place. But right now it doesn't feel like he's having fun doing it, and its not working. Creative slumps happen, and this has all the hallmarks of one.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

Alley Oop

You know what, Curtis is laying really heavy on the Michelle stuff right now and it grosses me out, so no more Curtis posting for a little bit!
That's fair. And also, Ally Oop is intriguing me with this time loop thing.

F Minus

Mark Trail

See, Jules has days and even weeks where nothing happens, and then solves the one problem that could be a source of possible tension in literally one day. It's just bad.

Mary Worth

Tiggum posted:

He's definitely not meant to be likeable. If he was, he wouldn't keep getting dumped and falling off ships and so forth. You're supposed to enjoy watching him suffer and fail.

Nah, this is what I read Mary Worth for. This is the good bit. :sickos:
Yeah the writer, artist, and editors know exactly what they're doing with Wilbur. They are well aware that Mary Worth fans love to hate him. They had even merch for sale when they 'killed' him on the cruise, and it went semi-viral on Twitter. It was the best publicity a comic strip that is not ending has gotten in probably years.

And I refuse to live in shame anymore: I am a Mary Worth fan.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Show the dog throwing up in frame--I dare you.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Wow...this makes for some riveting reading. On the edge of my seat here...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Wow...this makes for some riveting reading. On the edge of my seat here...

look, at least Rex Morgan is doing something medical related for once (if veterinary and not human)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Alright, this is just a psychotic episode now.

Institutionalize Wilbur Weston

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
LMAO Wilbur rules. Is that poor person stumbling towards oncoming traffic?

Yesterday Jules reminded us that she can't draw perspective so she had the helicopter hit and damage two large, person-sized transformers on the ground, colliding with them so hard they dented and folded in half and started a plot fire with no damage to the chopper, so literal magic since it also did this when they were behind it in both panels, lol.

I assume the horse read the script. That's new Trail for you, one good day and right back to the endless trash.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He just needs to find a restorative sandwich.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 20-24, 2006)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing: Three pages today ‘cause I think this particular bit needs to be played through to the final author comment.

quote:

Haraiso Days
New chapter!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This is the perfect setup for a rickroll

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress the haters, it's moments like this that make Allison's work special.

I will say, for as much as I like Bad Machinery, and I do a lot, and for as many little bits that hold up well in this story, like this one, I don't particularly care for 'Case of the Missing Piece'. I think a good part of it is that, while I understand and am sympathetic to Blossom, I don't like her. Ever since her first appearance she's been petty, cruel, and manipulative and she just... never stops, even though she's a major focus of the story.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/26/52

Horsie 3/27-29/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 7/18-20/77

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

very healthy relationship

Mandrake

lol

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
From the waffleimages thread:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

mycatscrimes posted:

If Giant Days is his most commercially successful work, and Steeple was recently cancelled, I'm wondering if the message he took from that is that anything he does needs to have his most popular characters in it to succeed. Hence moving away from Tackleford but reusing his cast.

Giant Days was a huge misfire because it was drawn by Max Sarin, who took everything that was charming about Allison's artwork and turned it into a lampoonish mess with overexaggerated facial features, reactions, and movements. When I saw that Solver was also drawn by Sarin, I just knew it wouldn't be as engaging.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Allison has "joked" before that the original ending for Scary Go Round was supposed to wrap Tackleford up by killing off almost all the characters and destroying most of the city.

While I'm glad he didn't -- we wouldn't have gotten Bad Machinery if he did -- it would have been nice had he at some point committed to just finding a new setting and telling stories in it with new characters.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I really liked The Case of the Fire Inside but I've bounced off almost all of Allison's other works. I had to really focus myself to read the space camp story, and I remember reading the current story with Blossom and just feeling kind of bummed about the way it ends. Fire Inside still owns though. I'd actually buy that one to have as physical media.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
What is it with Allison and setting fire to settings such that he can never, ever revisit them

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Vr9LnogLM&t=43s

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What is it with Allison and setting fire to settings such that he can never, ever revisit them

he learned the wrong lessons from FOOB and Funky?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Apropos of nothing, I've always wondered if Picard had an interesting time writing the report justifying vaporizing an alien whose last words were literally "We mean you no harm. We seek peaceful coexistence."

I imagine Picard, frowning over the swivel-laptop on the desk in his ready room, composing the words: "It must be understood that the alien said those words all CREEPY LIKE."