Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

Apropos of nothing, I've always wondered if Picard had an interesting time writing the report justifying vaporizing an alien whose last words were literally "We mean you no harm. We seek peaceful coexistence."

I imagine Picard, frowning over the swivel-laptop on the desk in his ready room, composing the words: "It must be understood that the alien said those words all CREEPY LIKE."

"Bulging his neck in a totally threatening and suggestive manner".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

"really it wasn't even his neck, it was the neck of the man it was wearing"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I love that scene because it's easily one of the most gruesome moments in Trek, and it comes out of nowhere just like, gently caress this guy in particular.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

I love that scene because it's easily one of the most gruesome moments in Trek, and it comes out of nowhere just like, gently caress this guy in particular.

Well yeah, he was a total dick.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Olive & Popeye

Our Boarding House, in which the gravy train pulls out of the station. (July 6-8, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (July 7, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (September 25-27, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Decoy (March 11, 1915)

The Adventures of Marmaduke (February 19-21, 1940)

Referring to commander-in-chief of the Finnish Defense Forces Baron Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim, and if from there you move on to reading about the Continuation War, then you'll understand where this headache I got a half an hour ago came from.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (September 25-27, 1922)

Excellent delivery of a dumb joke.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

catlord posted:

I will say, for as much as I like Bad Machinery, and I do a lot, and for as many little bits that hold up well in this story, like this one, I don't particularly care for 'Case of the Missing Piece'. I think a good part of it is that, while I understand and am sympathetic to Blossom, I don't like her. Ever since her first appearance she's been petty, cruel, and manipulative and she just... never stops, even though she's a major focus of the story.

I definitely agree on this. I remember not liking this story much either the last time I saw it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah the OOW is the indians being forced into those conditions isnt it? :(

It's a living!

More seriously I felt like it was a pretty respectful drawing. Is the regalia correct? It's almost better if it isn't.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Re: Alison, I don't actually think the quality of his work has been suffering- the Conan strip was fun right up until he was told to pull it.

I think he does have issues with Endings and losing patience with things. Like I was even enjoying the Lottie-manages-a-boy-band arc until it very suddenly stopped. It's like he lacks confidence in his ideas and without a lot of immediate feedback or success he tends to wipe the board clean and go for the eternal promise of Something Else. And I think anyone who creates knows the feeling.

It's the sort of issue there's no obvious answer for, sadly, short of someone signing him for a steady external gig.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Doomykins posted:

LMAO Wilbur rules. Is that poor person stumbling towards oncoming traffic?

Yesterday Jules reminded us that she can't draw perspective so she had the helicopter hit and damage two large, person-sized transformers on the ground, colliding with them so hard they dented and folded in half and started a plot fire with no damage to the chopper, so literal magic since it also did this when they were behind it in both panels, lol.

I assume the horse read the script. That's new Trail for you, one good day and right back to the endless trash.

I think the downdraft from the helicopter was supposed to have knocked them over, but with the art, it's hard to tell.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mycatscrimes posted:

I feel like Bad Machinery works so well for so many people because you can read it basically ignorant of the rest of the Allison-extended-universe. Steeple had a similar vibe, and was on track to be my favorite work by him until it suddenly crashed and burned. Someday I hope he revisits how it ended and adds a story that is a more satisfying follow-up for the characters. Knowing Allison, odds are good we'll see it again.

I grew up with Scary-Go-Round and I generally enjoy Allison's recurring characters, but I agree that he is setting himself up for failure by not moving away from them, and it feels like he's currently spinning his wheels. I don't like that he's dealing with copyright trolling on a story he seemed to be really enjoying, but it also wasn't doing much for me.

If Giant Days is his most commercially successful work, and Steeple was recently cancelled, I'm wondering if the message he took from that is that anything he does needs to have his most popular characters in it to succeed. Hence moving away from Tackleford but reusing his cast.

Idk. I don't think iterating on characters and not letting them go is always bad. In fact if I hated it, I'd never have read so much of Allison's work in the first place. But right now it doesn't feel like he's having fun doing it, and its not working. Creative slumps happen, and this has all the hallmarks of one.

I do long for a return to Tackleford, magical place.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

He's definitely not meant to be likeable. If he was, he wouldn't keep getting dumped and falling off ships and so forth. You're supposed to enjoy watching him suffer and fail.

Tiggum posted:

Nah, this is what I read Mary Worth for. This is the good bit. :sickos:

:hmmyes:

There's a card game called Mao that's essentially this. Played it as a teenager, but damned if I can remember any of the rules now.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Seems like this would be a handy time for Jules to remember that Mark can talk to animals.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

June looks like she'd just as soon watch the dog die from poisoning.

Luann

To be fair, Luann would certainly not be the first person to be like, "Huh. I don't know. I'll be a teacher, I guess," and then become a horrifically ineffective and unhappy teacher. Not that Greg would ever allow Luann to fail in that way.

Gil Thorp

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kazinsal posted:

Allison has "joked" before that the original ending for Scary Go Round was supposed to wrap Tackleford up by killing off almost all the characters and destroying most of the city.

While I'm glad he didn't -- we wouldn't have gotten Bad Machinery if he did -- it would have been nice had he at some point committed to just finding a new setting and telling stories in it with new characters.

I dunno I think the problem is he's trying new things all the time and not sticking to anything. There's something to be said for not going stale, but also I knew what I liked about Allisons stories and I liked reading about characters I'd come to know over a time. Just don't get that same connection with the one offs.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Nearly being decapitated by a drunk uncle wildly swinging the stick while blindfolded is a share experience of most Chicanos.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

rose is rose type strip

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 24, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If I wanted to make the dog's death a big event in my comic I probably wouldn't turn immediately around and lavish twice as much attention on "Grandma drives back home".

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens
The correct way to easily scale a hill of lose or slippery material. Begin with a slow advance and then step on the gas once you get bogged down.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

I dunno I think the problem is he's trying new things all the time and not sticking to anything. There's something to be said for not going stale, but also I knew what I liked about Allisons stories and I liked reading about characters I'd come to know over a time. Just don't get that same connection with the one offs.

I think the problem is that he ends up with the worst of both worlds: starting "new things" frequently, but bringing along enough baggage from his labyrinthine back catalog to not feel like an entry point for new readers.

His best works have been the ones that felt like clean starts (even if they did tie in to older stuff), and then stuck around for a while.

caribiner23
Apr 12, 2024

Strontium posted:

Dark Side Of The Horse

Recycling an old Simpsons joke... ;)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Isn't there a 912 joke in the Stonecutters episode too? I think they give the number to Homer when he joins and they tell him it's the "real" number.

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing: Three pages today ‘cause I think this particular bit needs to be played through to the final author comment.

Yeah that last bit makes a big difference in how I'd read this.

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 09, 1962)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

catlord posted:

I will say, for as much as I like Bad Machinery, and I do a lot, and for as many little bits that hold up well in this story, like this one, I don't particularly care for 'Case of the Missing Piece'. I think a good part of it is that, while I understand and am sympathetic to Blossom, I don't like her. Ever since her first appearance she's been petty, cruel, and manipulative and she just... never stops, even though she's a major focus of the story.

:same:

Part of the reason I don't like Case of the Missing Piece is that characters like Blossom who tend to be nasty or awful never get any comeuppance for the poo poo they pull, like Jordan from Space is the Place or Susan from Giant Days. I think Allison wanted us to agree with Shauna about someone needing to step up and help Blossom when she was outnumbered by the previous bully and her gang, but I was 100% on Lottie's side of not doing anything because she's just that terrible.

My Lovely Horse posted:

If I wanted to make the dog's death a big event in my comic I probably wouldn't turn immediately around and lavish twice as much attention on "Grandma drives back home".

The utter lack of poo poo given about the family dog dying really does make more sense after reading that author commentary The_Other posted. Lynn made it sound like thinking of a way to kill Farley was a chore, and it was the sister-in-law who suggested he be given a heroic death in the first place. And Lynn's response to that is to say Farley's just a dumb mutt and no way he can have Lassie-levels of competence. She really didn't think much of the dog.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Good Listener posted:

I definitely agree on this. I remember not liking this story much either the last time I saw it.

Not to just make this a John Allison thread (as we have one of those at home), but yeah, this story is definitely the low point of Bad Machinery for me- Blossom aide, Linton's character is thoroughly reduced to 'horny' and never really recovers from this point

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

amigolupus posted:

The utter lack of poo poo given about the family dog dying really does make more sense after reading that author commentary The_Other posted. Lynn made it sound like thinking of a way to kill Farley was a chore, and it was the sister-in-law who suggested he be given a heroic death in the first place. And Lynn's response to that is to say Farley's just a dumb mutt and no way he can have Lassie-levels of competence. She really didn't think much of the dog.
"oh no Grandma ran over Farley when she pulled out the driveway. Oh well"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i legit thought i had missed a week of FOOB because Grandma leaving is all cloying and diabetes sweet poo poo from April, and Farley's death was, what, two loving in strip days ago?

our last dog Loki died around Thanksgiving two years ago. and for loving months I'd still think "oh i wonder if Loki needs a treat" or walk by where her bed was and have to double take because it was gone. at one point both my mom and i asked each other if the other had fed the dog yet. that was almost New Year's Day.

NOPE GRAMMA LEAVING BETTER HAVE APRIL SPOUT OF poo poo ABOUT HER.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 26, 2024

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah, Lynn probably took some family pets down to the lake.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Mother Goose and Grimm

(12/3/2002)

Frank and Ernest

(7/6/1994)

Ziggy

(12/2/1971)

:unsmith:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/25/04

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 2/2-4/53

Smokey Stover 2/26/61

Everyday Movies 6/22/37

"You gotta figure that if ya play fair with Mrs. Rumpel and pay yer rent, she ain't gonna let the installment collectors up here."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/2-4/43

Closer Than We Think! 2/26/61

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 09, 1962)

I'm sure there's a reason for it, but building the fire inside the boat sounds like asking for trouble.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Place your bets now! I got five says Korro attempts a coup because Fria dares to try to talk with those drat dirty Giants.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Place your bets now! I got five says Korro attempts a coup because Fria dares to try to talk with those drat dirty Giants.

Yeah, this part is really going down a very predictable path.

Generally, I wouldn't believe otherwise were it anyone else, but maybe Schkade will completely surprise us by somehow going into a completely different direction?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Does this guy not realize that "seawater" is one of The Elements we want to avoid exposing things to?

Saoshyant posted:

Generally, I wouldn't believe otherwise were it anyone else, but maybe Schkade will completely surprise us by somehow going into a completely different direction?
Ming loyalist double agent doing active sabotage rather than just being racist, maybe?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Will Say This: Holbrook Is A Tech Simp But At Least He's The Kind Of Dude Who's Like "Yeah Pay Attention To The Kids, Tablet Time Is Not A Solution To Keep Toddlers Happy"

Why would you wear this at your wedding day out of hero worship and not just gently caress an Easter Bunny at some point to pay it forward, you make it sound like women would wear firefighter gear down the aisle.

...apropos of nothing I know what I want to wear when I get married.

Ceaseless Economic Turmoil Funnies

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You need to keep being an easter bunny secret, if your identity is revealed you need to quit.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

From the thumbnail I thought this was going to be about giant robot cicadas, and I was deeply disappointed.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
The Blood Egg Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Woapalanne
Jul 23, 2007
This account paid for by BJ.

Saoshyant posted:

The obvious answer is its own twist when you start expecting twists all the time. It just has to be done well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aww, that's a very cute mouse :kimchi: