Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/1/04

Brenda Starr 5/11/52

Smokey Stover 12/14/58

Everyday Movies 2/8/37

"We heard you were in Florida so we thought we'd just stop in for a few days to say 'hello.'"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/8/42

Closer Than We Think! 12/14/58

Yes, a "desolate desert area" and not, say, Moscow.

Bonus Ad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A desert would be a terrible target zone. You want a nice shallow landing-sea.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But that's witchcraft! Also murder, I suppose. Shoulda led with that, really.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, November 30-December 3, 1982

Note 2:

quote:

Sword Rogers
Sword Rogers was one of The Lantern's other comics strips at the time featuring the comedic superhero, written and drawn by Mark Morrison.
I spent a few minutes trying to find anything about Sword Rogers and all I could pull up was a Facebook page with a handful of drawings that may be fan art or something, so I won't bother sharing.

At this point, Smith takes a month off for winter break, so tomorrow will be the start of Winter 1983!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

feeding machine learning art a steady diet of charles boyce is the only way to kill it once and for all

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Somewhere is a trained AI that can make Computoon in the style of Brooke McEldowney.

The ultimate weapon.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Hoo boy, another year, another thread! You love to see it!

I have taken it upon myself to post the delightfully zany Ballard Street by retired cartoonist Jerry van Amerongen. It's a one-panel gag strip that highlights the lives and adventures of the elderly denizens in (what we assume is) Ballard Street. van Amerongen hasn't provided any contextual clues for us; recurring characters are very rare, but certain themes can be discerned (such as obsessive love for your dog, or a benign willingness to teach your surroundings about pulley systems). It's crazy, it makes no sense, but I love it for its nonjudgmental attitude to the people it depicts.

I try to post it once a week. Since van Amerongen is retired, all strips are reruns.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hell yeah, new year, new thread. Last one was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed hooting and hollering over the good comics and griping about the poo poo ones with you all.

How is this considered drama? It's the norm for universities not to hire their own graduates as professors to prevent academic inbreeding. Lindesfarne should have known better than to apply.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Okay, this gimmick could be a lot of fun.

NuFlash came in pretty late in the year, but it's been such an absolutely surprising delight. This is certainly one hell of a way to spice up this adventure, that's for sure.

Vargo posted:

Alley Oop

Just wanted to say I'm giving nuAlley Oops a try per your recommendation of it. The strip does make an earnest attempt at writing a story, which puts it above nuTrail, and it does focus on the main trio, which puts it above Popeye and Olive, so it has those going for it. Still waiting to see how this goes, though it does feel a little middle of the road as far as jokes go.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 12/14/58

Yes, a "desolate desert area" and not, say, Moscow.

See also "Rods from God"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BigglesSWE posted:

Hoo boy, another year, another thread! You love to see it!

I have taken it upon myself to post the delightfully zany Ballard Street by retired cartoonist Jerry van Amerongen.

Always good to see Ballard Street.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

I have learned a potentially horrifying thing - in me trying to see if I could get any of the newer, non-Hugo Pratt written Corto Maltese adventures in either English or Swedish (as far as I can tell, it's only in French or Italian, boo), there has been a... modern-day reboot with Corto as a main character; The Black Sea and The Queen of Babylon. I am almost too scared to try and look for them.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 2, 2024

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 15, 1961)

The twins’ faces in panels 2 and 3 are cracking me up.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

feeding machine learning art a steady diet of charles boyce is the only way to kill it once and for all

It's like that impossible shape they were going to brick the Borg with on Star Trek TNG.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Buster Crabbe! :neckbeard:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I wish this man and his impending fish-wife all the happiness in the world.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs()

No strip until Thursday

Baron Bean()

No strip until Wednesday

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals()

No strip until Saturday

Gasoline Alley()

No strip until Wednesday

Us Boys(May 5, 1911)

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Buster Crabbe! :neckbeard:

I would say there has to be a limit on how hard an artist can flex on his contemporaries...

but I also want to see what reality Flash shifts into next. Will we see the 1982 version?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "476 - Jucika And The Prolific House Plant"

Cutting it pretty close there, Jucika!

"477 - Jucika's Unlucky"

"strand = beach"

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 29, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 21, 1935)

Peanuts (January 3, 1977)

Crankshaft, in which I guess Dan Davis just wanted to draw birds this week.

It was pointed out in Discord that this isn't exactly a feeder-type bird, which should make the rest of the week very interesting.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (July 8-10, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 6, 1940)

And now, the semi-soft reboot of Popeye that I feel kind of guilty putting right underneath the golden age, Olive & Popeye. Randy Milholland, who took over the Sunday Popeye page from Hy Eisman, opened up another front of the re-Popeyefication of America by taking one half of a Tuesday and Thursday strip where Olive and Popeye split off into adventures of their own. It could be a valid take on a legacy property, but of all the Popeye things I've thrown at the thread over the years, this makes everyone the twitchiest. The most diplomatic way I can think of putting this is that the Olive side of the premise (especially now that Olive can talk to ghosts) has a lot of plot potential that really needs to be activated. She's wearing herself out doing a lot of work that the readers aren't getting to see, which is a choice, but one that I'm blaming for my next gray hair. Meanwhile, Popeye has gotten back into a traditional Popeye story with a few modern variations, but...um...well, Preston Blair literally wrote the book on cartoon characters throwing punches. Let's leave it at that.

It's still in my rotation because I still want to see where this goes. And the spinach-industrial complex is grateful for the renewed attention, of course.

(Currently Emi Burdge handling the Olive end of things on Tuesdays (so today), and Randy doing the Popeye side on Thursdays...or at least that's how it goes when things run on schedule.)

Out Our Way (September 16-18, 1943)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: In the Beginning

Tomorrow: With Love From Rufus!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

“Milk” here is “milk from a cow” as opposed to “breast milk” – the distinction is a lot less clumsy to talk about in Japanese, where the former is called “cow milk” as a matter of course.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

what if Meg got her driver's license and then drove recklessly to the store and bought a lot of clothes with Ed's credit card

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

...too bad.

Rose is Rose

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ed needs one helmet because he's afraid his daughter will injuriously crash the car but he doesn't care if she gets hurt.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I see Bernice's resolution to be less of a self-righteous judgmental little poo poo is going poorly.

Gil Thorp

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

I see Bernice's resolution to be less of a self-righteous judgmental little poo poo is going poorly.

Seriously, why are they still letting Bernice live here? She doesn't pay rent, she doesn't help with the bills or groceries and she's had ample time to fix her rooming situation by now. She's an active detriment to Luann's family.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/31 - 2/2/52

"An' with his schnoz shinin' like the shield of Sir Launcelot." They don't write 'em like that any more.

Archie 2/24-26/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 10/24/76

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

:perfect:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 10/24/76

Comic Strips 2024: But I don't even LIKE feet!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Jughead really is a total troll but I love him. And Veronica is so nice to invite him to dance.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

:lol: that is exactly what I thought the moment I saw it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

While Our Heroes Argue About Quasi-Slavery I'm Gonna Go Listen To The Offspring

cronch

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (December 10-14, 2004)

First appearance: Pa Beckwith, king of the tramps.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol: Glad I scrolled down before doing it.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Lyle? Who the gently caress is Lyle?

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G