Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
wow absolutely no subtlety with Keith getting his way huh

Add this to the long list of easy to interpret as a red flag traits. So Keith is visibly irritated by the presence of another man and within about two days he leaves forever, no contact? hmmmmmmm :thunk:

Incredible.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

oh boy here it comes :allears:

I really didn't expect Grundy to be one of the consistently great characters. A perfect strip.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Dame Elaine Stevens has been mentioned occasionally in Scary Go Round, Bad Machinery and Steeple. I think she has only ever been depicted, once, on a television screen, and do not ask me which strip contains this appearance. She’s a bit like Elaine Page, but with a bit of Montserrat Caballé, and a bit of Marje Proops. An all round entertainer, warm, witty and wise (of course).

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

You can't start this thread off without this.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (January 26-28, 1925; timg'd for a Chinese slur)

Out Our Way: Wes Begins (January 27, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (April 10-12, 1922)

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: Since that ventriloquist moved out to the village, the commuters who make the 7:47 haven't had to worry much with asking the Skipper to make better time.

Such a bummer that'll only work four or five more times with the same employer.

Dok's Dippy Daimler-Benz (January 23, 1915)

Little Lefty (September 11-13, 1939)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

fondue posted:

You can't start this thread off without this.

Excellent.

Crabgrass

Big Nate

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So there will be no explanation at all about what that guy wanted or why he was pretending to be a vegetarian? It’s just that he got in Keith’s way so Keith made him disappear?

And Keith’s reward is that he now has to eat more vegan food that he hates?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i presume he'll have a quiet heart to heart with the mom about how she was being "targeted" for something by beanie boy and his mysterious phone contact and they'll all sigh with relief and she'll kiss the cop

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shoulda had the guy say he was going to build houses in developing nations. Dude could have actually done something vaguely useful instead of (presumably faking) joining fuckin' Greenpeace of all groups.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh boy, a new comics thread!
\

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

remember when Wilbur almost died

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
New Flash has definitely won me over, and Arlo and Janis remain relationship goals.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I AM GRANDO posted:

So there will be no explanation at all about what that guy wanted or why he was pretending to be a vegetarian? It’s just that he got in Keith’s way so Keith made him disappear?

Probably, yeah. Modern MW is occasionally uproariously fun, but most of the time has these limp, unsatisfying plotlines that feel as if Karen Moy changed her mind about 15 times while writing it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they sit down at the dinner table and there's meat for Keith and Kitty while Sonia has her vegetarian option, either. I mean, that's fine, but a wet fart also.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

[draws ugliest poo poo imaginable] Tee hee this is so cute

quote:

Dark Side Of The Horse

What

I AM GRANDO posted:

So there will be no explanation at all about what that guy wanted or why he was pretending to be a vegetarian?

It's extra annoying because I'm sure earlier in this story, the mum was on the phone to Keith like, "Oh, I'll explain all about Jughead tomorrow." And then... didn't, at all.

Chicken Parmigiana fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 3, 2024

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (January 30, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Untranslatable Fingerpori

OK, so in Finnish "tip" is just ... "tippi". The literal term is "juomaraha", "drink money", but the loan word has replaced it in common usage ages ago. It conjugates to "tipin" in its accusative form (accusative answering the question 'what' or 'who').

The Finnish name for Tweety Bird is Tipi, and it conjugates the same as "tippi". It doesn't have anything to do with the other word, but instead derives from a folksy Finnish term for bird, "tipu" or "tipi". Some etymologists suggest that they were originally used to call chickens (much like you 'ps ps ps' a cat) and stuck. Apparently Norwegian also has a similar term for calling chickens.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 3, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo this is going to end with Maggie and Copper in straightjackets in a padded room.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 22, 1961)

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

riderchop posted:

remember when Wilbur almost died

then partied on an island resort for a long weekend while his friends and loved ones mourned

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

davidspackage posted:

Holy poo poo this is going to end with Maggie and Copper in straightjackets in a padded room.

Saying it now, Plank is going to die heroically

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Frosti

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/2/04

Brenda Starr 5/12-14/52

I think this guy is supposed to be blond and suntanned.

Smokey Stover 12/21/58

Everyday Movies 2/9/37

"Poddon me, but I'm hoping the sun shining on my diamonds don't hurt your eyes."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 11/9-11/42

Uncle Jeff would do well as a reality show producer. Born Sixty Years Too Soon.

Closer Than We Think! 12/21/58

Hugo Gernsback is better known as the founder and editor of the first US science fiction magazine, Amazing Stories; he also coined the term "scientifiction" for the genre.

Combining smells with TV or movies is one of those ideas someone tries to work out every so often.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jan 3, 2024

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Keith killed that fake hippie.

Rose is Rose

The Horse cannot actually use chopsticks so he distracts the reader for a panel to eat the rice

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 12/21/58

Hugo Gernsback is better known as the founder and editor of the first US science fiction magazine, Amazing Stories; he also coined the term "scientifiction" for the genre.

Combining smells with TV or movies is one of those ideas someone tries to work out every so often.

I love that "full color" is treated as almost as fantastic as the 3-D "pop-out" hologram and smellovision. In '58 color television was barely getting started in the US and was effectively nonexistent elsewhere.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 22, 1961)

Jesus Christ the smile on that executioner and...guy who clears away the corpses probably

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Stop pretending you're a saint, Kell, you were just thinking how unfortunate it was that it wasn't Thanksgiving and it wasn't the correct season to eat the goose.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Wow, gross! Keith didn't even talk to his ex and daughter that Brad was just pretending to get closer to them (just like Keith) or ask them if they wanted him to do anything, he just made the guy disappear on his own. Like, Sonia was especially close to Brad and possibly saw him as a father figure. Anyone in her position would be seriously hurt and asking questions about why he disappeared all of a sudden.

I AM GRANDO posted:

It's always been about forcing the daughter to admit that cops like Keith are cool.

davidspackage posted:

Probably, yeah. Modern MW is occasionally uproariously fun, but most of the time has these limp, unsatisfying plotlines that feel as if Karen Moy changed her mind about 15 times while writing it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they sit down at the dinner table and there's meat for Keith and Kitty while Sonia has her vegetarian option, either. I mean, that's fine, but a wet fart also.

I think there's a bigger chance that this ends with Sonia renouncing being a vegan now that Keith told her Brad was a sham all along, then calling him dad and serving a family dinner of 100% beef burgers. :sigh:

The reason I think that is when Mary reappeared to meddle yet again, she comforted Keith and encouraged him to keep trying to make his ex and daughter see how cool he is. And when talking with Toby about Sonia, they call her an uncooperative child for not wanting to get along with her father. That's practically a seal from the author that we're supposed to cheer for Keith to get his way, or why it glosses over how Sonia's input so much.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Really feeling like Planck is going to catch a pop fly from Copper to end the game, and then die standing on the spot.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Maggie's sister really let her have it.

Considering that Demons of Baseball is powered by drama and Planck must transcend humanity to be a demon... yeah, forsaking even his love of Maggie to win and dying on the spot has some real classic older sports manga energy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN

WINTER 1983: And You Thought Enlightenment Was a Tricky Thing

January 4-6, 1983

These are the least-chill capybaras ever

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

Really feeling like Planck is going to catch a pop fly from Copper to end the game, and then die standing on the spot.

Didn't the Director mention something about creating a miracle for the last match? Maybe he plans to have Planck pitch against Copper Ma and Planck would use the ~Ultimate Technique~ they talked about, of beaning someone directly at the head.

Doomykins posted:

Maggie's sister really let her have it.

Considering that Demons of Baseball is powered by drama and Planck must transcend humanity to be a demon... yeah, forsaking even his love of Maggie to win and dying on the spot has some real classic older sports manga energy.

Are we sure he forsook Maggie and he's not just planning to throw the match at the last second? Because when May decided to just sit in the stands rather than drag Maggie directly to the Demons' area so she can talk to Planch, I groaned and thought May beefed it right when she was almost at the finish line. :v:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The fish has a point! That's a good dog!

amigolupus posted:

Are we sure he forsook Maggie and he's not just planning to throw the match at the last second? Because when May decided to just sit in the stands rather than drag Maggie directly to the Demons' area so she can talk to Planch, I groaned and thought May beefed it right when she was almost at the finish line. :v:

I'm making a prediction, I have no idea what will happen. Planck is loopy as hell and either resigned to do.. something, crazy with fever, and we'll see if he sacrifices the team and his self respect for a girl he lost years ago.

Or did he!? Is Planck about to own Copper Ma so hard he gets Maggie and a stepson!? Anything could happen!

Demons rules and has kept me on the edge of my seat for awhile.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Lyle? Who the gently caress is Lyle?

I believe he's the old man who came up with the self-help program that Rene stole to make the Mirakle Method, and who subsequently settled with Mud and whatever the agent's name is to be a partner.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Horace says he's going to show you how to use chopsticks in 3 steps
Step 1: Hold chopsticks and a bowl of rice
Step 2: Hey! Look over there! (????)
Step 3: Oh, you missed it, but I totally used to chopsticks to eat all this rice while you weren't looking. (Profit)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

CzarChasm posted:

Horace says he's going to show you how to use chopsticks in 3 steps
Step 1: Hold chopsticks and a bowl of rice
Step 2: Hey! Look over there! (????)
Step 3: Oh, you missed it, but I totally used to chopsticks to eat all this rice while you weren't looking. (Profit)

Amazing avatar title/post combo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Ahaha, called it, that's the style of 1982 animated Gordon and the sword from the 80's movie!

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
Wild how references to a legacy strip's past can be...good? And organically incorporated into the story?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: With Love from Rufus

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Demons stresses me out. I've been expecting for a while that Planck was going to pitch again at some climactic point but I guess we're not getting that.