Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

feeding machine learning art a steady diet of charles boyce is the only way to kill it once and for all

It's like that impossible shape they were going to brick the Borg with on Star Trek TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I AM GRANDO posted:

So there will be no explanation at all about what that guy wanted or why he was pretending to be a vegetarian? It’s just that he got in Keith’s way so Keith made him disappear?

And Keith’s reward is that he now has to eat more vegan food that he hates?

Probably, yeah. Modern MW is occasionally uproariously fun, but most of the time has these limp, unsatisfying plotlines that feel as if Karen Moy changed her mind about 15 times while writing it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they sit down at the dinner table and there's meat for Keith and Kitty while Sonia has her vegetarian option, either. I mean, that's fine, but a wet fart also.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo this is going to end with Maggie and Copper in straightjackets in a padded room.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

Maggie's sister really let her have it.

I thought at first May was telling her stuff like "you're not a woman worthy of being loved" to her face at first, but I think the woolly borders on the balloons indicate it's just her thoughts.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

Similar woolly bubbles in the previous panels have a dialogue tail and the wham line also has one but it blends in very well. Perhaps the dialogue borders indicate her voice is trembling as she finally says something so dire. Perhaps like many readers May is tired of Planck and Maggie's poo poo. I hope she and Left Handy are happy together.

Ah, maybe. It's not like Maggie doesn't deserve it after what she pulled.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I reiterate: :sbahj:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jesus Christ Demons O'Baseball

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I want to piss and poo poo on this fuckin comic

Figuratively

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Phantom shot old man Mozz. Finally.

At last, our long nightmare has ended.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Correction: can't wait for the happy end to Demons where Maggie and Planck are wrapped up in a couple's double-sized straightjacket, laughing in a romantic padded room

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pancho Jueves posted:

Pluggers

Pluggers have not yet discovered stretchy pants.

You're a 5-year old if Homosassa makes you giggle

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

:kimchi:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Ha ha Planck won!

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

:psyduck:

Lame, using boss characters

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Demons of Baseball was a glorious trip. It earned its dark ending, I'd say. Thanks for posting it!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

someone awful. posted:

Comic Strips 2024: Pooping, eh?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

If you need me, I'll be under the coffee table!

Schwarzwald posted:

I've been digging Mousetrapped so far. It hasn't exactly rocketed out of the gate like some other new comics, but it has my attention.

Yeah, same! Even though the Steamboat basis is clearly something to grab your attention, it's doing its own thing, and the dialogue's pretty snappy!

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Maybe she's not the most responsible mother, but you can tell that the author genuinely loves and likes her baby.

Yeah, it's a very organic portrayal of "huh, guess I gotta take care of this lil pooper now, kinda cute I guess".

Some Guy TT posted:

Anyway, I have a general query. As some of you might have noticed, I attempted to use Phoenix Wright style localizations for names in Demons of Baseball instead of directly transliterating them from Korean. I did this for text box reasons, making them easier to remember, and also maintaining some of the thematic implications (Planck's Korean name is not a common one and literally translates as planet, for example). I'm now mulling over whether to do the same for the Wandering Culinarian. Thoughts?

I liked your name choices, it did make it easier to discuss the comics. It's a bit embarrassing to admit but I imagine I'd have a lot more trouble keeping a series of Korean names apart. So I'm for localized names.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 13, 2024

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

I still don't understand why the prophecy got derailed (or did it?) except that Phantom kind of... decided that it did. Something to do with Kit Jr. deciding to come home at the same time as Mozz started telling the prophecy, I think? Yeah, I don't get it.

I think I can help. You see, it started with... *opens Mozz's chronicle*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bruceski posted:

I've lost track of Phantom timelines. Is this... do we need to get the torches? Did he just "dream" the whole Mozz thing?

"Get dressed, honey. Mozz told me he wanted to see you about some chronicle he wrote."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing: timg’d for breast-oriented content

Holy poo poo lol at that right side

But I must confess I'm genuinely curious about the left side

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Comic Strips 2024: Delete's bow-wow app

Don't actually do this, I'd get mad every time I see it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

It's just a really weird and stupid relationship because the Evans' tried to tie it into the modern day streamer culture but imagine if you had some 1-3m subscriber vtuber listening to their boyfriend tell them to shape up or ship out, even passive aggressively. They might realize hey, lotta fish in the sea? Infatuated fans aren't a high standard of quality, sure, but it does let you think that maybe you aren't dependent on the guy who doesn't understand compromise.

In real life, Gunther would also be getting burned in effigy online as the rear end in a top hat who muzzled Popular Streamer Bets.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

:ohdear:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I'M A FAN OF SAVORY BAKED GOODS :mitt:

Hope this ends with Keith having three consecutive heart attacks

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

amigolupus posted:

If it turns out the daughter gave up being a vegan or made Keith 100% beef burgers, I'm going to scream.

Eating meat is so cool, Keith! *they clink their burgers together*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

The cutest take on Hellstar Remina

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Bardiche Hotel

And that’s the end of Bardiche Hotel! As I think I’ve said, this has turned into one of my top two or three Q-Rais joints, it just maintains a really particular kind of storybook mood very well throughout, while letting Q-Rais exercise some of the weird surrealism muscles from Chako. As usual, if you want to reread or share it around I’ve got the whole thing up on MangaDex: https://mangadex.org/title/b5d63cfa-ea1d-4082-9537-7392a45daa4f/bardiche-hotel

Bardiche Hotel was a really wonderful series of vignettes, and like you said, I love Q-Rais's surrealism. He has this great way of introducing strange, fantastical characters and concepts and having the rest of the characters treat them as perfectly ordinary.

Thanks for sharing it!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

And that's because women's complaints get taken less seriously by medical professionals! :mad:

Check and mate, "doctor!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

With the fill-in art, it feels like the writer is just killing time until the regular artist recovers from his health issues.

I think you're on the money there. Kinda nice, if it's that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

I never heard of a caravansary. Some of them are quite beautiful.

I didn't either until I came across the subject last year, doing some light research for a story. They sound like awesome places to meet travelers and swap stories in olden times.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kidcoelacanth posted:

fwiw i have found this week of rene being annoyed at everyone being nice to him extremely amusing

Yeah same. I love how his uncle completely ignores everything he says.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

It's a little harder getting into this than Demons of Baseball, but all that talk about the benefits of rice makes me think my country needs to start farming rice too!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Finally she'll be arrested for all her crimes.

He's gonna test Sonia's DNA without her knowledge? What a good guy.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Other posted:

Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks Now with corrections!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

So disregard my last post with it's small info dump on Bobbinsverse lore. Turns out Allison just got his names mixed up.

That makes a lot more sense. I initially read it and thought Maggie just hadn't assumed her father's last name.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Huh, I guess edit fruit can hang too low.

Oh nooo

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bold of this comic to just immediately kill off Minnie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Val wants to puke on the ugly little people, but nobly doesn't.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Surprise!

"So... Kitty was unfaithful to me!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Poil posted:

It might be hilarious to watch it attempted however.

It should be mandatory for getting to run for president.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

GOOD thing my GUARD is ASLEEP!!

*rattles loud chain*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol, that tiny last panel wasn't necessary, but makes it very cute.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

It's a tried and true joke in Luann to have the characters act oblivious and zany when someone (Piro, Gunther, Tiffany, Bets) is upset or having a hard time, and it never fails to make the other characters look like the worst kind of assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

Archie 8/4-6/49

Think I'll pitch my tent too :holymoley: