Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Howard Beale posted:

My cat Autolycus passed away today, a nine-year-old clown prince who had baseball mitts for paws and made friends with everyone he met. He had advanced kidney disease but was a fighter; he lived three years longer than anyone thought he would. Last month before Christmas he relapsed and my wife and I turned our home into a cat hospice. His vet gave him three days and he grabbed three weeks instead, and we made those three weeks as comfortable for him as possible. He was himself right up to the end, which came mercifully quickly when it did. We love the little guy, always will, and miss him terribly, achingly, completely.

I've had a very long day involving a lot of veterinary logistics and crying, and just now checked SA.

Oh, Lupin.

Goondolances. We lost our cat Abigail about a year ago. Autolycus sounds like he was an excellent cat who had an excellent family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kennel posted:

(this started as a Wales -> whales joke, but I forgot what I was doing)

The Lord's work is what you're doing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Re: historical comics: if you're having to spoiler every single one for racism i wonder whether the good outweighs the bad w/r/t continuing to post it? IDK. I am p sensitive about that stuff.

The historical comics are really interesting to see what people made jokes about and what people were anxious about in the early 20th century. I also think it's interesting to see how the concept of racism has changed over time. A lot of the pre-war "Out Our Ways" could be considered racist against Germans, which is a nonsensical concept to my 21st century ears. And I'd argue that the Powerful Katinka is as much a caricature of a minority immigrant as any of the Chinese laundry owners from that one I keep skipping because it's always five or six people speaking in folksy paragraphs. None of it is great to our modern sensibilities, but it's a snapshot in time, if an embarrassing one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Heaven help me, I did crack a smile at that last line.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think the conceit that "danke schoen" sounds like "donkey poo poo" is a stretch at best.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What is a horse but a big spotted lanternfly?

quote:

If you see a Spotted Lanternfly in New York City, kill it immediately by stepping on it or crushing it. People living in New York City do not need to report Spotted Lanternfly sightings to the Department or collect samples at this time.

https://agriculture.ny.gov/spottedlanternfly

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The ability to relax and fall asleep is learned. We all wake up periodically in our sleep. Babies need to learn how to fall back asleep after that, but trust that if they really need a parent, we'll be there. Our son moved into his own room at about 6 months, and for a few months after that, we'd have to go in several times a night and help him fall asleep again (it seems like every month he'd go through a new _n_ month sleep regression...).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Just think, Heart! You get to go through beautiful ***Wilmington***!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Comic Strips 2024: Metropolitan Delaware Discussion Zone

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

While the best baby in comics can’t be beat, Uchida also draws a very good cat.

In defense of Cowslips Warren, early-90s Uchida seems to have a lot of the same views about breastfeeding that my mother had (and still has). My wife and I tried to breastfeed our kid (well, she tried, I helped as best I could), but it just wasn't happening. It was exhausting and frustrating; we switched to exclusively formula after a few months. My mother, bless her heart, can't help but run her mouth about how she exclusively breastfed my sister and me and how much better that was than formula. She means well, but it really ruffles our feathers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

bogna malogna

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Our kid is a fiend for noodles, but he's not great at remembering to chew everything well, so occasionally he'll wind up gagging on long noodles and throwing up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Splotchy red-faced guy is such a good touch.

We Are Reproducing
Timg for boob

Re: panel 3, thank goodness there was no risk of a Zoom meeting in the early 90s.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

And that's it for the first story of The Wandering Culinarian. I'm unsure whether to continue with this, as the response has seemed kind of tepid. But then again, I don't have any alternate idea that wouldn't require research that's very difficult to do when I'm not physically in Korea*, for comics that are less likely to be newspaper comics. The next story is way shorter, for what it's worth, although glancing over it I'm surprised it still doesn't feature any recurring characters aside from Haddish.

*A big part of my motivation for my asking about that Patreon idea. Which seems like it might work better as a Kickstarter idea at first, if at all, but yeah, my conversations irl on this haven't been very encouraging.

I've also really been enjoying The Wandering Culinarian, and I say that as someone who really couldn't get into Demons of Baseball.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I like most of the single-panel gag strips, but Andertoons is the most consistent (and also the least derivative of the Far Side, which some of the others are very visibly so).

On the other hand, when F-Minus hits, it hits hard. I think that's the comic that I wind up reposting to my social media the most.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

It's your dog, Phantom. You should know that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

Quoting from a couple days ago because I love when Tinkersons name drops random pizza places from Alatoona, PA

https://www.mamarandazzos.com/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing
Linguistic footnote: The side comment “I just hate not knowing” is a wonderful idiomatic expression, hebi no namagoroshi “it’s like half-killing a snake,” meaning drawing something out in an unsatisfying way.
Medical question: Google couldn’t tell me what “2000 T” might be referring to – any ideas?

At 12 weeks since the last period, a mother's urine should have Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) levels of 20,000 - 200,000 mIU/ml (milli-inernational units per milliliter). 2000 mIU/ml would indicate a much more recent pregnancy. I don't know why it's abbreviated "T". Google Translate tells me "international unit" is pronounced "Kokusai tan'i", so maybe "tan'i"?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kennel posted:

Esa Ahto

I am still a little worried that Evi is going to burn down the hanger for Esa's sake.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Sadly I had to leave out a bit of fun with language at the center of this chapter’s title – she calls her special fried rice “onee-chahan,” a portmanteau of “oneechan,” big sister, and “chahan,” fried rice.
Also, some pretty economical storytelling from Q-Rais here – the way the little brother’s face lights up when he learns tonight’s fried rice has a little bacon in it.

Made slightly more confusing because I would assume Parsley Fried Rice would have parsley in it, rather than a little meat.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

The Wandering Culinarian

Was it 8000 won, originally?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

For partial credit the New York subway did in fact get driverless trains soon after this was published but as far as I know it never made it the rest of the way to full automation.

Correct, the MTA is not fully automated. One of the biggest hurdles is people. In order to automate the MTA, you'd have to retrofit each station with doors that prevent people from climbing onto the track, lest your subway system become a fully automated person squisher. Every time the idea comes up, the MTA decides it doesn't want to make that kind of capital expenditure.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Yikes, Luann, that's a non-answer if I ever heard one. I hope they're not trying to foreshadow whats-her-name cheating on Brad.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Zits is convergently evolving into Dustin

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Kavak posted:

Because it's the nice thing to do (And also we're ashamed)

In my opinion, it's mostly defensive. If I don't put things away, the cleaning people will hide them in the worst possible place. Ask me about how I found my mail-in ballot in a laundry bag.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 15, 2002)

Infanticide funnies

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

The Young Campanologist's Bell Ringathon is an amazing idea.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Tiggum posted:

How could the morning possibly be too late? Is she going to be charged, tried and convicted all in one night?

I think it's because the one witness is going Off To War and he might die but either way god forbid we deny Our Brave Troops one day's fighting just to prove some shmuck's innocence.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Kids, and that's how Georgia Dunn became an enemy of the thread

Everyone's allowed one bad opinion. Some people even like Prince Valiant.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Quality drawing of your tio, Zara. Good job.

I thought that was Satoshi Kon.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's Cow Tools

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The first Lucy "Psychiatric Help" strip was published in March of 1959. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. $0.05 then would be worth only $0.54 in 2024.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Green Intern posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's concerned here.

Mexikid Stories has so far gotten a little dark but not Very Special Episode dark, so I'm more curious to see where this will go because it probably won't go where we're all worried it will.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If X goes first, this isn't a legal board state.

Powered Descent posted:

This one reminded me a particularly weird redtext on a poster (who afaik doesn't even read this thread) and I so had to do a thing.

Apologies, move along.

Poor Cactus Ghost, just trying to share a fun fact.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Nope, still banned! Wouldn't want kids to swallow a toy in-between unloading a clip on their classmates!

Strictly speaking, Kinder Surprise runs afoul US food purity laws because it's a food product that contains a significant percentage of plastic. It's not a choking hazard, it's just adulterated as defined by the FDA. That's why we're allowed to have Kinder Joy: it's chocolate packaged _with_ a toy, not a toy fully surrounded by chocolate.

Alhazred posted:

Also, if you put water and baking powder in them they loving explode.

Tennis ball cans are the best for this.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

This one got me. Amazing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Vargo posted:

This is very funny but there's no way those fish are safe to eat.

Catfish can survive a dry season by burrowing in mud.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

I don't mean to be racist, but the cats and the ferrets look exactly the same.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

This is just legitimately creepy and something I’d expect some eboniphile (?) to defend.

Maybe it’s normal in England though meh

I think that's an absolutely wild read of the situation.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

But also Dan's been with Shauna's mom long enough to have fathered Humphrey, who's like one or two years old. Ostensibly they've been together longer than that. There's nothing textual to support anything sexual about the tattoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

About four pounds.