Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika (yoo-si-ka) by Pál Pusztai ran from 1957 to 1970, "featuring a young, independent woman, frequently in risqué situations." It was rediscovered by the internet around 2020 and the obvious quality of humor and risqué situations made it a cult classic. It can be read in full at Jucika Daily and Jucika In Order, both on Twitter and where I quote translation notes from. I will be finishing the current run to about 550-560 and giving it a rest for awhile.

Jucika "474 - Jucika And Dog Friendship"

"475 - Jucika And The Newbie Car Mechanic"

"Rear engine...If I remember my Top Gear correctly, cars like that behind the Iron Curtain were light-weight, low-powered, and used a gas-oil mix. They were notoriously unreliable, and when the wall fell, people would leave them abandoned with the titles inside."

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Okay, this gimmick could be a lot of fun.

how does this guy never miss :allears:

Twilight Mandrake is really scuffed but I'm tickled pink that Lothar did exactly what I wanted him to. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "476 - Jucika And The Prolific House Plant"

Cutting it pretty close there, Jucika!

"477 - Jucika's Unlucky"

"strand = beach"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

wow absolutely no subtlety with Keith getting his way huh

Add this to the long list of easy to interpret as a red flag traits. So Keith is visibly irritated by the presence of another man and within about two days he leaves forever, no contact? hmmmmmmm :thunk:

Incredible.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

oh boy here it comes :allears:

I really didn't expect Grundy to be one of the consistently great characters. A perfect strip.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 3, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Maggie's sister really let her have it.

Considering that Demons of Baseball is powered by drama and Planck must transcend humanity to be a demon... yeah, forsaking even his love of Maggie to win and dying on the spot has some real classic older sports manga energy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The fish has a point! That's a good dog!

amigolupus posted:

Are we sure he forsook Maggie and he's not just planning to throw the match at the last second? Because when May decided to just sit in the stands rather than drag Maggie directly to the Demons' area so she can talk to Planch, I groaned and thought May beefed it right when she was almost at the finish line. :v:

I'm making a prediction, I have no idea what will happen. Planck is loopy as hell and either resigned to do.. something, crazy with fever, and we'll see if he sacrifices the team and his self respect for a girl he lost years ago.

Or did he!? Is Planck about to own Copper Ma so hard he gets Maggie and a stepson!? Anything could happen!

Demons rules and has kept me on the edge of my seat for awhile.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "478 - Jucika And The Courteous Bus Conductor"

"479 - Jucika And The Robot Man"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

davidspackage posted:

I thought at first May was telling her stuff like "you're not a woman worthy of being loved" to her face at first, but I think the woolly borders on the balloons indicate it's just her thoughts.

Similar woolly bubbles in the previous panels have a dialogue tail and the wham line also has one but it blends in very well. Perhaps the dialogue borders indicate her voice is trembling as she finally says something so dire. Perhaps like many readers May is tired of Planck and Maggie's poo poo. I hope she and Left Handy are happy together.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

What the hell Uncle Jeff :stare:

Yeah OK the contest is badly rigged, anyone will get loopy with two months of nothing to do, but jeez. "Maybe you'll kill each other! Haw haw!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

As much as I don't gotta hand it to Bernice she has a point if Luann is writing down "maybe this year I can clean my room" as a resolution. :v: A real misery loves company friendship.

Jucika "480 - Jucika And The Rear-View Mirror"

"481 - Jucika And The Paratrooper Instruction"

It speaks to the evils of Retail that I didn't actually expect Cooper to get more than an "atta-boy" raise of maybe 50 cents. Considering how long Retail runs this is a reminder that Stuart is pure evil for decades and knew the entire time that Cooper was working two jobs when they slashed his hours.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm really grateful to get to read Corto and Blueberry from the start! They were always interesting but I was hesitant to read mid-story. I love the art and writing of Blueberry, it's a really enchanting setting.

Corto is kind of a danger magnet, isn't he? :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I always read Calvin and Hobbes as primarily being from Calvin's PoV, hence all the unreliable narrator bits are fine. A 6 year old doesn't have perfect social and emotional maturity? Uncanny.

Calvin's antics and his relationship with others aren't perfectly healthy but they're also entirely realistic and pretty benign for decades of similar character writing and real life anecdotes. Centuries really, he'd fit right in with the Toonerviller Folks kids. As I recall the truly worst things he does are tormenting the babysitter. Even things like breaking windows/appliances are feasible accidents.

Trail usually sucks but you know what, I laughed at this one today. The change of having Mark, the source of his own, uh, thoughts and the butt of the joke do the set up is ten times better than the narration box being Jules nervously elbowing you in the ribs and asking if you got the joke while also being an unrelated meta voice that doesn't belong to any of the involved characters. The last panel just delivers the punchline and lets it stand on its own and it works nicely.

There's also a chance Mark might develop any nuance in his character as being reluctant to share emotionally, and "the guy running the support group turns out to need support" is a good idea and simple twist. Now just do this 30-60 more times to close out the storyline.

quote:

The Phantom

OHHH BOYYYY :guinness:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

:ohdear: holy poo poo Demons of Baseball

Jucika "482 - Jucika And The Fearful Little Student"

"483 - Jucika And The Robot Man"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

:vince:

PLAAAANNNCCCKKKKKKK

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Getting mad in advance about Weegee losing all her cash. Or maybe they'll realize money doesn't trump love when it's gone. Oh well.

Jucika "484 - Jucika And The Train"

"485 - Jucika And The Guard"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Gee Whillikers, Rex! Your arch-nemesis might...key your car, or troll you on Facebook

Rene's got kidnapping, threatening with a firearm and attempted murder under his belt so he's had a real glow up in the last year. For uh, criminality in Rex Morgan!

I appreciate that not even two strips after I gave Mark Trail a bit of praise Jules immediately submitted this lazy first draft sketch. At this point I know it's coming every time but shucks, once you give up on hope what have you got left? Maybe somebody could teach Jules how producing a backlog works.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I just want to say that Josh is very far past the point where I care if he's technically in the right about his ultimate fate later, or respecting him for being happy being a corporate yes-man. Just throw him in a wood chipper already if the most important thing in his workday is making sure the abused worker can be tricked into more abuse somehow.

Jucika "486 - Jucika As An Extra"

"487 - Jucika And First Aid"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Mexikid Stories is great!

Jucika "488 - Jucika And The Parachute Jump Target"

"489 - Jucika Signs"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

In the end Copper Ma owns himself. This will eat at his soul for the rest of his life. A perfect finale.

On the edge of my seat here that Arn and Valiant can do something in time. :ohdear:

Jucika "490 - Jucika & The Stuck-Up Colleague"

"főnök = boss"

"491 - Jucika As An Autograph Hunter"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

I'd like to explicitly clarify, since I'd misremembered this from the first time I read the comic, that Sohn didn't have a heart attack because the Cowboys lost, but because he realized Planck was going to do the Ultimate Defense poorly on purpose to cripple himself and the aggravation caused by that killed Sohn before he could stop the game. There's no way for any other character to know this, though, since we only saw it from Sohn's internal perspective.

:suspense: What a finale!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm here for Rene to be passive aggressive about Morgan saving his life or something.

drat this Keith story sucks.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Shut up, narration box.

Forgets to draw bandage on thumb earlier, draws it later, just gives up on drawing the hand though. Jules' talent for apathy hat tricks is almost impressive.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Is Boltar with Val? This adventure is getting extra killy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "492 - Jucika At The Ball"

"493 - Jucika And The Weighing Scale"

"szemét = Trash"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Incredible stuff. Thank you so much for translating and sharing it. In the end Planck sincerely would do anything for Maggie, the three could never reconcile their screwed up drama triangle, and ultimately...

"Don't think I lost." :laffo:

Cowslips Warren posted:

wait.

copper ma was not owned in the end. and planck and maggie just went crazy together?

Maggie is crazy, Planck went blind and/or took a lot of brain damage, it seems.

I guess Copper did want Korean baseball pros to be taken seriously but it cost him the training he had to match the demons which was ultimately pointless, his team getting blown out across multiple games and losing the series, he divorced, and as the prideful fucker he is he can never remove the rot from his heart that he didn't beat Planck fairly and can never attempt to do so again. I'm genuinely surprised the car sequence didn't end with a cliff!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "494 - Jucika And The Polite Patient"

Aww.

"495 - Jucika And The Glass Door"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Flash Gordon rules.

Jucika "496 - Jucika's Second Job" NSFW Nudity

"497 - Jucika And The Attentive Gentleman"

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Just wanna add Sally Forth to the healthy family relationships comics hall of fame. Other than Sally's Mom, OK?

Loving this set up for fellas that don't learn their lesson. :allears:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If Aura wants to show she's not her father then executing her brother for being a jerk and a political inconvenience really isn't the path. Good on the writing for making things believable and grey.

Jucika "498 - Jucika Keeps An Orderly Queue"

"pénztár = Cash desk/checkout"

:laffo: Take the L, robber. Jucika can snap your arm like a twig!

"499 - Jucika And Microdistrict Under Construction"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Reading Blueberry with building dread and yup, Bascom you son of a bitch. :mad:

Jucika "500 - Jucika The Stylish Movie Cashier"

"Vigjáték = Comedy, Krimi = Crime Fiction, 18 éven felülieknek = 18+"

I'm Crime Jucika.

"501 - Jucika At The Soccer Match"

A fair weather fan, eh?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the initial conflict was fun because you could root for Keith even if ACAB. Somebody can't come into your life 20 years after the fact and demand you turn back time. :v: Then Keith literally runs the other guy out of town and charms everybody by coincidence. Then again Wilbur was saved from a fatal accident and returned to some social grace despite the supremely messed up antics of letting his loved ones believe he was dead for a week while he partied at a resort.

I blame it on Mary Worth gravitating towards Good Endings too reliably. Can clearly write good entertainment for what is easily perceived as a zombie milquetoast drama strip but hampered by clear limitations.

Jucika "502 - And The Topping Out Ceremony"

Topping Out Ceremony

"503 - Jucika And Cleaning Lady Shortage"

"főorvos = Main doctor"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Now if the next strip of Olive & Popeye could cut to the chase or use those space occupying extras for anything we might be cookin'. Cue the third strip of the same joke, most likely.

Jucika "504 - Jucika, As An Assistant"

"505 - Jucika, As A Wrecker"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

How god drat dense does Gunther have to be? :v: This is like a lesson for children! I thought I'd be happier if everything went my way but now I'm sad that she's unfulfilled! Hmmm yes making the super extrovert with a successful social hobby/career abandon it for you is going poorly, big surprise.

I keep wondering how successful Bets was. The only number I recall offhand is "million" but that seems like somebody stupid like Luann saying it just for exaggeration. WOW SHE'S GOT A MILLION FOLLOWERS. Actually being that popular would probably be a serious financial hit to cancel it and vanish from the scene on a moment's notice.

Jucika "506 - Jucika And The Life Saver" NSFW Nudity

"507 - Jucika And The Winter Clothing"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Uncle Jeff is a real sore loser for thinking that these two still won't get along after 45 days and he needs to put his thumb on the scale.

I've been enjoying Thorn but I had a traditional wince for the author self-insert.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "508 - Jucika And The Tempting Summer"

"509 - Jucika And Fashion"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

God drat Gunther is pathetic. That panel 3 is just.. wow. This is a manchild that convinced himself he could do better because his partner disagreed with him once, then realized that actually people who are 90% in sync with you don't show up often and you better learn to compromise on those differences. Uhhh please don't leave me I'm happy I'm happy.

Perhaps Bets is realizing she had the power to choose better all along. Not like she can't go right back to what she likes.

It's just a really weird and stupid relationship because the Evans' tried to tie it into the modern day streamer culture but imagine if you had some 1-3m subscriber vtuber listening to their boyfriend tell them to shape up or ship out, even passive aggressively. They might realize hey, lotta fish in the sea? Infatuated fans aren't a high standard of quality, sure, but it does let you think that maybe you aren't dependent on the guy who doesn't understand compromise.

Then again maybe this is great writing all along because it is 100% accurate to the dipshit nerd guy who gaslights himself into thinking he's better than the manic pixie dream girl who found him until he breaks the relationship.

Bets feels vulnerable and listless because she just majorly disrupted her routine and gave up a source of pride and mental stimulation(projects, media management, etc.) Gun's first thought is that it sure is inconvenient, but he likes having a girlfriend, but he also was attracted to her for many of the same qualities she just gave up. Really syncs up with his earlier weasely giddiness that she was doing worse without him.

Maybe I'm biased because it's very easy to dislike Gunther but when is the last time he offered some genuine support?

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 19, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Haha wow I'm glad I didn't give the Evans any benefit of the doubt. Just right back into Streaming Bad, Gunther Good. This stinks!

Jucika "510 -Jucika's Subway Adventure"

"511 - Jucika And The City Tour Bus" NSFW Nudity

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Dun dun DUNNNNN!

So we were all getting ready for a big spectrum of military problems. Was Ming Jr gonna try to assassinate his sister? Raid Mongo lands with a Ming remnant army? Attack the capital and seize the throne?

And this freaking mastermind hits us with Flash: You've had this coming a long time, Jr... I'm gonna enjoy this! A murdery mystery!

Bravo! :allears:

Jucika "512 - Jucika And The Playful Dog"

"cipo = shoe"

"513 - Jucika And The Virtuous Landlady"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Really easy to sync Gunther's actions here with a controlling jealous boyfriend, kinda ugly. Also love a compromise where one party doesn't give up anything. Leave your comfort zone? You were the one mad about not going out, dude!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jucika "514 - Jucika, As A Stylish Stewardess" NSFW Nudity

"515 - Jucika And The Melon Market"

Yes, that is a very off-model Jucika. This strip was likely unfinished by Pusztai and was inked and colored by other Lúdas Matyi magazine staff. "The editorial staff of this magazine informs with pain in our hearts that Pál Pusztai, cartoonist, died of heart failure on September 10th in Dubronik, Yugoslavia, at the age of 51." Pusztai's strips had been showing up less frequently, going weeks or even months between new Jucikas and I'm sure we all noticed the total absence of the Jucika and Husband dynamic in the last 30 or so. It ran from 1957 to 1970 with 514 officially published strips. I'd like to think Pusztai wouldn't let himself recycle jokes too blatantly and that as a man of integrity he recognized that he had made something good and it should end, though sadly he left this world before settling on when and how that should happen.

That's Jucika! She'll return months or even a year from now, or whenever wholesome horniness is needed most. Thanks for enjoying her (comic) strip!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

On top of the wonderful Sunday recap framing device Flash Gordon uses the extra details and subtle characterization are great. It's really cute that those two are making eyes at each other in panel 1. :3:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I sense that Q-Rai is going to break my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think the conman will hoodwink Val but then get caught by his debtors/the local guards and sweat a bit before Val bails him out to save his very bad trade caravanning. He picked up the slave as a totally pragmatic thing because he just said "Yo don't rock the boat or we'll die lol" but knowing Val he'll set the guy up with a poetic freedom.