Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Willo567 posted:

So I've been re-reading Calvin and Hobbes a ton recently. Something I've noticed in a lot of discussion on the strip is how much of a jerk Calvin is. Is this just regular six year old jerkness to people, or him crossing several lines even for a kid and is irredemable?

It's the result of readers looking at the strip entirely incorrectly. If you try to read C&H as a realistic strip like foob, well you're cracked and shouldn't read things. If you try to read C&H as a "sitcom" like Big Nate or "sitcom, with occasional fantastic elements" like Zits, you're still looking at it wrong. Calvin doesn't need medication or therapy because he's not an actual 6 year old. His parents aren't negligent because they aren't parents. They're a vehicle for Watterson's wit and storytelling and fantasy. If you are asking if Calvin is abusing Susie or whatever you might as well start asking about the effects of CTE in Krazy Kat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I AM GRANDO posted:

Stevie Wonder plays the piano, Keith.

He plays everything.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

:slick:

Hey, a few early lunar probes actually did develop film on board and send back scans of that. Some early spy satellites even returned the exposed film in a re-entry capsule.

While true, I give no points because the CORONA program was well underway when this was published.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

That’s not what I meant. I know which character is named Brad. But Brad’s preëxisting role in the characters’ lives remains incomprehensible.

This whole story has been such utter dog poo poo. Even the dialogue is clunkier than usual. Mary Worth stinks but usually not this badly.

I've been assuming this whole time that he's going to show back up and whatever backstory is there will come out and complicate things.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PetraCore posted:

Honestly can't blame her for eating up this drama. As long as you're not related to him, Ming II showing up to drunkenly yell at everyone has to be the entertainment highlight of the entire wedding. Definitely understanding why Ming jumped over Ming II in the heir list, though.

Almost as good as Mary Worth wedding crasher, but not quite.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I AM GRANDO posted:

When did Billingsly stop putting quotation marks around Onion’s name? Didn’t it always used to be Derek and “Onion”? I feel like I’ve missed a lot of changes in Curtis lore.

About 8 years ago, I think.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 4/19/59

The Automat model of food vending has mostly fallen out of favor, but I suppose this might count as foreseeing the likes of Wawa, Sheetz, or Buc-ees.

Also, I would love to work for a company called National Rejectors, Inc.

In the future, food vending, payment, and disposal will all be fully automated! There will still be a guy in Dickies to pump your gas though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

The more you think about it, the sketchier this entire "unknown commander" thing gets. I know it's a part of Phantom lore since way back, but spotlighting it in a storyline like this just draws attention to how hosed up it is.

I admit I'm no expert in matters legal, but I'm under the impression that once the gavel has come down and a plea deal is finalized, it's done and they can't just go back and undo it, even if it becomes obvious that they let the criminal off way too lightly. Ref: the QAnon shaman, or that Canadian serial killer lady.

Nope.
Ref: Hunter Biden.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CannonFodder posted:

My cousin has one of those electric self-directed lawnmowers, and has solar panels to charge his house and electric cars. It kinda works like a Roomba, but for grass.

One thing that makes it very useful is that his house and lawn are on a rather steep incline where a walk behind mower is difficult and riding mower is not possible because it would flip over. The self-directed mower won't flip over because it's center of gravity is so low.

And photovoltaic cells existed in 1959, but radar dish style collectors just look cooler than black rectangles on the roof of the house. That said, there is a radar dish style way to generate electricity called concentrated solar power but that's more of a "power a city" system rather than "power a house" system.

I don’t think I feel comfortable about “Roomba, with spinning blades “

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Because opening doors will let irreplaceable heat out faster and there's no way to warm back up when you get back indoors, wtf.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

davidspackage posted:

I didn't either until I came across the subject last year, doing some light research for a story. They sound like awesome places to meet travelers and swap stories in olden times.

Medieval motel.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Oh hey he's finally asking the question that everyone else in the world would have asked first thing.

I initially saw the plate in panel 3 as a bowie knife blade he was using to open cans.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Zereth posted:

... Infrared gas? The hell is that? Like wouldn't it be one or the other?

https://www.amazon.com/GASPRO-Infrared-Dustproof-Stainless-Certified/dp/B0836CBZN1

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like a Bok Sunday is imminent, but I'd kind of prefer if his story was left only hinted at.

For a second I thought I was in the Politoons thread and got really confused and concerned.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
God bless him he’s trying to be good but he’s just not that bright.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I’d say that we should celebrate the 70th anniversary this year but now I’ve invoked the Interesting Number Paradox.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A+J is a great strip, but I'm a little disappointed at their Boomer-y jimmies getting rustled over art school. Not nearly as horrifyingly terrible as Dustin would be on this subject, though.

It's a lot more realistic and having character flaws is a good thing, actually.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Ravenson posted:

God forbid newspaper readers be exposed to comics that are actually funny. Let's just rerun the same old dude's comics forever!

It's cheap!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay I know this is comic logic but lizards, at least the chameleon I suspect this lizard is supposed to be (or an iguana?) do not destroy loving photos unless you literally shove it under them or beat them with it.

Up next on my Ted Talk, I will discuss why Hollywood and history did piranha wrong.

Quincy is supposed to be an iguana but either Amend never researched anything about iguanas or never cared. For example, chewing everything up like a puppy or eating mealworms like a non-herbivore.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

Is there a way to get a desktop version or a pdf or something, or do you have to read it in this obnoxious mobile format?

Also inquiring.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I guess that's a reference to the old wax 78s being replaced by the far less fragile vinyl.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cowslips Warren posted:

no lie, i literally went HOLY poo poo BOK.

Bok is awesome. Long live Bok!

This thread is so much different than the Politoons thread.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cowslips Warren posted:

well is Bok in that thread? Probably not.

Luann probably would be though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Haifisch posted:

Also cleaning is a different thing from tidying up all your crap, and no prizes for guessing which one you're paying a cleaning person to do.

Also I can’t imagine having a stranger put my stuff away because then I’d never find it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Samovar posted:

Boy oh boy do I resonate with this one.

No kidding. If you're carmelizing onions for less than an hour, they aren't carmelized. I've only seen one recipe book admit this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Murdstone posted:

Interestingly, Langley, VA, is where the CIA is headquartered today.

Langley VA is in the DC area and has the CIA HQ.
Langley Field, however, is in the Hampton Roads area and also has a NASA Research Center.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah I don’t recall that being a thing. However it’s been decades since I was in high school.

I would not give that assignment. For starters, I don’t work over my breaks and they shouldn’t have to either, unless it’s a long term assignment. Second, I always assign preliminary tasks such as research/bibliography and outlines as graded assignments to make sure they’re keeping up and not just using ChatGPT the night before it’s due.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maltesh posted:

It came with a goddam CRAYON SHARPENER.

Screw it. I'm a grown rear end man now, with my own money. I'm buying one.

64 different brilliant colors!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

~Coxy posted:

Hard to say but I think it might be a Qtronix Libra 35
The width is a bit off, though.

https://www.journaldulapin.com/2019/10/23/un-trackball-adb-original-et-inutilisable-sur-un-mac-moderne/

And I assume that's a sketch of a Performa 6200 in the comic?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

~Coxy posted:

You've got the look nailed down for sure!
This is getting to the level of a distinction without a difference, but it's most likely a LC 630, which is effectively the previous-gen architecture in the same style of case.
The keyboard is the old ADB style, which is potentially anachronistic, but maybe JP models still used them.

An LC or Performa would have come with an AppleDesign keyboard so maybe a Quadra 630 bought to replace a II series with the Apple Standard keyboard?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

rannum posted:

early computers/internet comics are always so charming

Also, https://www.macintoshrepository.org/4024-dogz

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Squishy posted:

I do not believe this for a moment.

peep

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

~Coxy posted:

What was that other old strip that had "The Urge To Kill"?

They'll Do It Every Time?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

I love that scene because it's easily one of the most gruesome moments in Trek, and it comes out of nowhere just like, gently caress this guy in particular.

Well yeah, he was a total dick.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alterian posted:

That's not coming from the haze of pine pollen. That's the lovely Bradford Pears everyone used to plant that smell like old cum.

My state, like several others, will give you a free tree to plant if you cut down your existing jizz tree.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

catlord posted:

I was raised Eastern Orthodox, where communion was done with an actual chunk of bread, so it occurs to me that I have no idea what a Catholic communion wafer actually is. Is it just a little tiny crispy bread? I've seen pictures of them but I never questioned what they tasted like.

(I also remember my mum joking that the communion wine was really good, could she do a second communion?)

It's required by canon law to be unleavened wheat bread with no additives and the wine must be pure fermented grape juice.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mercury Hat posted:

oh man i was just asking a coworker the other day if he'd ever done pencil fights at school and he had no idea what i was talking about, lol

We just called it "pencil break."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 5/7/61

The title makes me think of this literary classic I used to have as a kid:

Which was published a year after the strip, so who knows?

Early hovercraft had a variety of goofy names but this is the only reference to “triphibious” I’ve ever seen so I suspect some borrowing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Breadmaster posted:

The only surgery I've had was wisdom tooth removal, and I wasn't even fully under, but I do remember having a similar experience. I can distinctly recall seeing my own blood on the doctor's hand, and half hearing them start talking faster. Afterwards, they told me "Yeah, your heart rate spiked and we were concerned about it, but you seemed fine otherwise"

When I had LASIK surgery, I smelled what reminded me of burning hair. I quickly put two and two together (corneas and hair are both made of keratin). Since they had me whacked out on valium, it was more amusing than anything. I remarked "I think I smell burning eyeball." The nurse said "oh, the machine just makes a burning smell..." but the doctor cut her off "we tell people that to make them calm but since you guessed it, yeah it's eyeball."