Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Happy new year, new thread!

Scary Go Round (December 7-9, 2004)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (December 10-14, 2004)

First appearance: Pa Beckwith, king of the tramps.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shoulda had the guy say he was going to build houses in developing nations. Dude could have actually done something vaguely useful instead of (presumably faking) joining fuckin' Greenpeace of all groups.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Breadmaster posted:

Ahaha, called it, that's the style of 1982 animated Gordon and the sword from the 80's movie!

I can hear the Queen in my head already. And I probably won't stop hearing it all day.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (December 15-17, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (December 20-22, 2004)

First appearance: Ma Beckwith, not queen of the tramps.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (December 22-23, 2004)

Merry belated Christmas, thread.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Haifisch posted:

I'd say I'm gonna barf when he bonds with his Difficult Child with the power of guitar, but I don't want to puke that badly.

He's going to actually be a really good guitarist and will win her over with the power of "Share The Land" by The Guess Who. They'll cry, they'll hug, and she'll stop hating cops.

John Allison posted:

This story is what we in the "comics game" call "filler".

Goblins are easier to draw than people. If I was being absolutely honest with you, the reader, with some minor adjustments I could have drawn this whole thing with Shelley and Amy, and I would not have received emails from people who said they "don't get it".

When I was young, there was a desperation not to seem that you didn't know something. Now there is a willing coalition of people admitting that they don't understand things. What happened to good old fashioned shame?

The internet is a place where a man can parade in a gold lamé bodystocking - in my day gold lamé was kept firmly behind closed doors. So I blame the internet. And TV. And "rapping music". And "hippity hop".

But I listen to feedback, and as a result I scrapped a seven-week story about a couple of elves on a golfing weekend.

So, this wasn't a very popular story with the unashamed, but I think it's a pretty good one. There are more ideas in most of these strips than I managed in a week of material in the late 1990s.

Some readers asked if the character of "The Wogun" was related in anyway to broadcasting legend Terry Wogan, mainstay of TV and radio for my entire life. And the answer is, of course not. While The Wogun and Terry Wogan do share an Irish heritage, a hairstyle, a career in broadcasting and a robust and cheerful worldview, The Wogun is green and three feet tall. Terry Wogan is six feet tall and pink.

Other readers asked if the pixie receptionist working at Goblin RTE was [qpoiler]Natalie Durand (see "Count My Toes")[/spoiler]. And I think it probably is!

"Crock of Gold" has lessons for all of us. Admittedly, not easy lessons to decipher. But if you don't come away from this story a little wiser, then I've failed both of us.

Scary Go Round (January 3-5, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 6-10, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 11-13, 2004)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 14-18, 2004)

Oh hai mark nat

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

I feel like just yelling "NO REALLY THIS IS TOTALLY STEAMBOAT WILLIE MICKEY AND NOT NORMAL MICKEY" without any other signifiers to differentiate him might not be enough to keep it in the public domain, but what do I know? I'm not a copyright lawyer.

John Allison managed to briefly get away with an obvious Batman fan comic in Allisonverse clothing.

Randy Milholland will not manage to get away with angering the trillion-dollar industry that is Disney's legal department.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

This guy LOVES his wife!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

*the idea of G.R.R.Martin writing Prince Valiant is at once compelling and abhorrent

Gundar Harl's ship croaked and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to poo poo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 19-21, 2004)

That's the end of that! Starting tomorrow, things are going to change.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

John Allison posted:

Change! What is this thing we call "change"?

Amid blistering, terrifying changes in the real world, there's a new, comforting conservatism in the minds of men. We can't stop the polar icecaps melting, but we can sure as hell complain that they changed the theme song to "American Cop Show".

As a man who makes a tiny slice of the great "entertainment" pie, i witness the white-knuckled fear change causes. grown men and women drinking tap- water full of hormones and chemicals, terrified because you stopped drawing a character a certain way.

Of course, I exaggerate. My readers are generally good eggs one and all. And since I change things every few years, they buy into my ever changing moods. but I've seen people pilloried for trying something even slightly different (and frequently better). Status quo forever!

Scary Go Round is nothing if not a heap of ham-fisted allegories and parables - it doesn't fit together perfectly. It's hard to stay on message when you can't really remember what the message was. But if ever there was a time for the common man to stop sweating the small stuff, I'd say it was now.

Or soon. Once we finish campaigning to get them to bring back "American Doctor Show" from cancellation.

The Child is my favourite Scary Go Round story to date. Characters who I'd created for a single strip somehow came to life, which is always a surprise.

Whether new characters like Erin and Esther will have a part to play in the future, I can't say. Sometimes new people arrive strong and slowly tail off, sometimes they grow naturally in my brain over the years until I can't do a story without them. It's an interesting journey, this business we call "show".

Thank you for being here for this showbusiness journey! Thank you for reading my commentaries! Thank you for reading my comics! You are... my friend!

Sometimes I feel that Allison may have had a few drinks before writing these. For those who haven't read SGR before, this is a pivotal arc! We get some character development, some Tackleford paranormal stuff, and a number of characters being brought to the forefront who become main characters later in the series. And, y'know, a good ol' case or two of Shelley Winters Must Suffer just for bonus points.

Scary Go Round (January 24-26, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Home Depot is also kind of fun to wander and look at things that make you go, "ooh, I wonder what I could do with one of those".

The answer is almost invariably "nothing, or something once and never again", but it's all in good fun.

Costco's usually a get in and out for me though. Grab a hot dog on the way out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

God drat, Flash is good. :allears:

Scary Go Round (January 27-31, 2005)

First appearance: Erin Winters, younger sister of Shelley, classmate and friend of The Boy.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 1-3, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 4-8, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

brad was actually rene belluso in disguise!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 9-11, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (Feburary 14-16, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Well, kids, Wildcard won out, and we drew Blasted from the hat. I guess next year we'll specify 'chosen from the three above' but for now it's probably best if your parents sit this one out."

It's been two decades but the syndicated comic strip cabal will unfortunately not let us run a strip depicting a performance of Avenue Q.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 17-21, 2005)

Poor Erin :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 22-24, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 25-March 1, 2005)

:ohdear:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 2-4, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 7-9, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 10-11, 2005)

And that's the end of The Child! Next up, things are going to change Amy and Shelley travel to Bulgaria and become nuns!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shelley Winters posted:

Hello reader and welcome to my "commentary"! I hope you enjoy my asides, telling you what went on behind the scenes. For example, many of the tales in this book omit incidences of my shutting my fingers in a door or stubbing my toe. Things like that are strictly for the connosieur, not the casual passer-by.

"Bulgaria" is the story of my visit to Bulgaria, on holiday, with my great friend Amy Chilton. Amy is the ideal person to go on holiday with as she has no scruples and only basic manners, so fun things start happening almost immediately.

As a house-mate Amy is deeply unde-sirable, untidy and foul-mouthed. Her visitors are the kind of people you wish would leave immediately, or who leave very quickly because they saw your purse on the mantlepiece and have had it away with £15 and change.

Because of my kind and deeply chari-table nature, I have taken Amy under my wing and tried to teach her the right way of living so that she can be a productive member of the human race.

Our trip to Bulgaria takes place toward the end of this experiment. Bulgaria was a good place for us to go because at the time Amy was a poor student. Bulgaria is a treasure trove of cheap items, you should visit! Communism is still fresh enough in the mind there that they wish to share plentiful food and drink for the price of a postage stamp. Well done communism!

Some pretty scary things happen in this tale so if you are a nervous sort, keep a stiff drink at hand!

The next few arcs have book introductions written "by" Shelley instead of directly by Allison.

Scary Go Round (March 14-16, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 17-21, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 22-24, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 25-29, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (March 30-April 1, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 4-6, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 7-8, 2005)

That's it for Bulgaria! This next arc is one I quite like, and in my opinion it's the start of a more coherent meta-narrative arc for SGR, as it has a significant impact on the rest of the run.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Forgot to post SGR yesterday, oops! Oh well, you all got a day off from the wall of mid 2000s webcomic art.

Shelley Winters posted:

In 2005, Britain went to the polls. This was not just a case of us copying America, we vote all the time here!

Democracy is our lifeblood, just so long as it isn't raining or we forgot to go to the polling station or we used our polling card to scrape bird poo off the car. Sometimes democracy is not so easy - just ask the Cubans!

Working as I was in the mayor's office, it was deeply troubling to be challenged by local inventor Tim Jones for control of the city. Tim and I go way back, and now it was incumbent upon me to dash his dreams. As mayor's assistant, I did my very best. Some might say I got carried away in the process, but politics is a passionate thing.

I would like to take a moment to say a few words about Tackleford's major, Mr James Mayor. No one has ever cared quite so much about coming to work and sitting in an office as that man. I was proud to work for his office.

Unfortunately prior to this campaign, we had weather a few small problems (documented in Scary Go Round books 2 & 3).

Yes, arguably inviting killer robots to visit our city was maverick policy-making. You can't always get things right.

Yes, perhaps presiding over city-wide riots concerning a small bald child did not cover us in glory. I would however point to my redesign of the Tackleford Metropolitan Borough Council logo to include a cheeky cat. I think touches like that make everyone's life a little better!

ADDENDUM: The exciting conclusion of this story features my friend Natalie Durand, who was blown up by an itinerant orangutan. I don't know if you get to vote in the afterlife, where God is in charge.

APOLOGIA: Deepest apologies to Jeremy Vines, who no longer presents "The Politics Show" after I accidentally hit him in the ear with my elbow.

Scary Go Round (April 11-13, 2005)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 14-18, 2005)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (April 19-21, 2005)