Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

My cat Autolycus passed away today, a nine-year-old clown prince who had baseball mitts for paws and made friends with everyone he met. He had advanced kidney disease but was a fighter; he lived three years longer than anyone thought he would. Last month before Christmas he relapsed and my wife and I turned our home into a cat hospice. His vet gave him three days and he grabbed three weeks instead, and we made those three weeks as comfortable for him as possible. He was himself right up to the end, which came mercifully quickly when it did. We love the little guy, always will, and miss him terribly, achingly, completely.

I've had a very long day involving a lot of veterinary logistics and crying, and just now checked SA.

Oh, Lupin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ed Kudlick, a piece of poo poo written by the biggest piece of poo poo this side of an overflowing porta-potty, looks at a doctor's office where corporate budget cuts have forced them to cut magazine subscriptions and other incidental quality-of-life touches from the office, and blames it on the Some Gizmo instead

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Breadmaster posted:

I'm not well versed in the history of For Better or Worse, is there something I'm missing?

Lynn Johnston's husband Rod, a dentist, left her after 30 years for (I believe) his hygienist.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Mary Worth Presents: Big Keef Dribin'

This is beautiful, absolutely beautiful

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

EasyEW posted:

Cranky McShafterbean

Y'know, when Jeff Smith appeared in his own strip, he at least went drinking and coke-hoovering.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 21, 1962)

I love how Marcus Severis hears of Val's need to petition the Emperor and tells Arn of course he can help, and does so by talking Val out of it. Cynical and practical, that's a pretty good Roman at the edge of an empirical fall.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Our daily newspaper didn't have Drabble when I was growing up but our Sunday paper had it in their color section and it was completely unremarkable, the kind of strip that only stands out when you notice it on wrapped birthday presents.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The best part (relatively speaking) of Working Daze is how the strip and writer both treat the thing as if it's a time-honored, much-loved, top-tier comic with years of lore that everybody remembers and loves. It does have years of lore, but the comic itself feels like it's been dropped here from a distant reality where it is hugely popular and the characters firmly entrenched in pop culture. When it used to be posted here the vibe I got most from the fondly-presented "Throwback Thursdaze" was the vibe from one of Ruben Bolling's Fun-Paks, the comic strip that ends every day.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

If Dustin bothers someone, he's in the wrong and gets treated punitively. If someone bothers Dustin, it's because of something he did and therefore he deserves it.

That may not be an abusive family situation on its own, but it certainly helps facilitate the abuse.

I hate this loving comic strip and the complete shithead who writes it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Hippocrass posted:

Us Boys(March 27, 1912)

I kind of miss the "Doings Down in Dippy Dell" side strip (what do you call a topper if it's on the side?) because it was a lovely combination of catchphrase dada and last-minute looming-deadline desperation, but I really enjoy the sincere sports reporting that now summarizes each strip.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Please... stop with the... ellipses... this comic looks... like it... was written by... a relative... on Facebook... or the asthmatic... kid on Malcolm... in the... Middle...

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Selachian posted:

Archie 2/27 - 3/1/50

This is the greatest four-panel Archie gag ever and the simplest.

Also, I think we're coming up on a very sad date in Pogo history.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Hippocrass posted:

Us Boys(April 20, 1912)

I was not expecting a storyline on sandlot game fixing in 1912! And for some reason I really like how it involves corruption and chocolate eclairs but not gambling. The stakes are appropriately kid-sized.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

It's nice to see Freddie the Frog getting some work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwJQ6G7Z_II