Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

This is a bit topical once again. One of our right wing ministers was complaining about "the union mob" a few days before Christmas, which is yet another example of them aping poo poo from their American right wing idols. Unions are just a fact of life in Finland and practically everyone joins a national union the moment they get a job, and often even before then, because most unions for professionals offer student memberships. As a result our workers actually enjoy pretty good benefits and security, which our right wing government is trying to erode as best they can right now.

And "bonus prison pay" is a take on our "bonus vacation pay", which is literally called "the returning from vacation money" in Finland, and is paid every year after your yearly vacations. It used to be a more meaningful thing, because it was basically used as a bribe to convince workers to actually come back to work at their old jobs after their vacations instead of just loving off somewhere else. These days it's just more of a symbolic thing, but again: we have strong unions and a long tradition of strong unions, so we sure as gently caress ain't giving up benefits people fought for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Untranslatable Fingerpori

OK, so in Finnish "tip" is just ... "tippi". The literal term is "juomaraha", "drink money", but the loan word has replaced it in common usage ages ago. It conjugates to "tipin" in its accusative form (accusative answering the question 'what' or 'who').

The Finnish name for Tweety Bird is Tipi, and it conjugates the same as "tippi". It doesn't have anything to do with the other word, but instead derives from a folksy Finnish term for bird, "tipu" or "tipi". Some etymologists suggest that they were originally used to call chickens (much like you 'ps ps ps' a cat) and stuck. Apparently Norwegian also has a similar term for calling chickens.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 3, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The original Finnish word here is "Hellevinkuja" which is a compound word that can break down at least two ways. The first is "Hellevin kuja" (Hellevi's alley). The second is "Helle + vinkuja". Helle is a Finnish word for high temperatures, I think the official line is +25 degrees Celsius. The second word, "vinkuja" literally means "squealer" but it just colloquially means whining or annoying complaining.

So there we go. Either Hellevi's alley or a guy who complains about the lack of warm days.

And for the record, we definitely had several +25 degree days last year.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hockey players famously wear short sleeves.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Between the figure skates and the players wearing what seriously look like (American) football uniforms, I'm beginning to think the artist has never seen a hockey game in their life.

Yeah I wasn't even going to comment on the pants, but that's a good point.

I partially suspect he was going to make a lacrosse comic but then decided to pivot to hockey for ~reasons~

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

No big post tonight, but let's get to the end of Mousetrapped week one (which is going to be a Monday-Friday thing, at least in the short term).

Calling Mickey Mouse "Mick" just reminds me of this Achewood.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JethroMcB posted:

Y'know what this thread has been missing for a while? Cul de Sac. Let's fix that.

gently caress. YES.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

In Finnish the same word "elokuvissa" -- the plural inessive form of "elokuva", movie -- can either mean "in movies", or "at the movies", ie. "at the cinema".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

An Iskender, by the way, is a kebab dish with fried pita cubes as a condiment instead or rice or fries.

God, I could go for a kebab right about now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Kennel posted:

A minor detail I'd like to add:
Word "yllättää" can mean "to catch red-handed" (by surprise) or just "to surprise" (doing something unexpected with no implication that the target was doing anything wrong).

Yes, I made a minor edit so the joke would work better in English.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

Cul-de-sac is so good :allears:

Howard Beale posted:

My cat Autolycus passed away today

I am so so sorry. I lost my 21 year old cat last year and it absolutely crushed me.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Retro Fingerpori

"Uutuusmusikaali" = "Brand new musical"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

Archie 3/31 - 4/2/49

I mean...

I had to.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

don Jaime posted:

Monty has by far the ugliest art in the thread. I’m not sure how it hasn’t been axed by its syndicate.

“Elsie, am here at Elridge’s, Abe Slaney.”

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Indian and Nepalese restaurants have become extremely popular in Finland in recent decades, and I am extremely glad.

Finnish foods featured here:

Liver casserole. Sometimes known as "Nordic haggis". It's rice, bits of liver and raisins in a casserole. Somehow it is considered a beloved staple, despite being hated by drat near everyone.

Rye bread, literally "hole bread" or "rye hole bread". Now this HAS been a beloved staple since the 1500s, and has a hole in it because traditionally after baking bread would be slipped on a pole that was suspended near the ceiling to cool down. It's insanely good with soups and absolutely divine when fresh.

Mämmi. A Western Finland tradition dating back to the earliest days of Finland. A mixture of water, rye flour and rye malt, prepared by malting to make it a bit sweet. Yes, we all know what it looks like, it's a popular joke with kids of every generation. Personally I'm not a fan, but lots of people love it. Traditionally eaten around Easter, but famously Finnish ski legend Juha Mieto ate several pounds of it every day around the year.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 16, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is it just me but I can't find these breads anymore of the Oululainen brand, they've seemingly all switched from that format to tiny toast like slices.

Apparently they stopped making it a few years ago. Food criminals the lot of them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Poorly Drawn Lines did it better.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Doomykins posted:

"505 - Jucika, As A Wrecker"

Jucika's so hot he made that man Fred Flintstone he car.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:siren: Untranslatable Fingerpori :siren:

This one's some next level poo poo.

The key word here is "keskustammaksi", which is a loving mess. The base of the word is "keskusta" or "keskus", which means "center" but practically means "downtown", "the center of the city". But it is then conjugated to be the comparative form, and then the translative form of that, so we basically go from:

"keskusta" -- city center
"keskustampi" -- more city center
"keskustammaksi" -- to be more city center, or in practise "to be closer to the city center".

But that conjugated form can also be a compound word consisting of "keskus" (center, but also with the colloquial meaning of "telephone operator") + "tamma" (mare), and again the translative form of that, translative being the form that indicates the outcome or result of something.

So the guy either wants to be closer to downtown, or wants to become a mare phone operator.

I'm trying a new format here where I spoiler the version that has the joke pun in it, and the explanation, so people can try to guess what the gently caress is going on first. Better? Or is the big spoiler section irritating and I should just go back to posting both and the explanation without the tags?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 17, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 3/5/59

Has been perfected, you say?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I love that the bats have their cocktails upside down.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

What the gently caress is a "bow wow app"

E: I get that a bow wow is a dog, but "bow wow app" is one of the dumbest and clunkiest phrases I have ever heard.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 19, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

someone awful. posted:

not only is it absolutely nothing, but he keeps using that phrase

I swear to god I wish I could understand Boyce.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Finnish term for bestiality is "eläimiin sekaantuminen", literally "interfering with animals". But the term "sekaantua" can also mean "getting confused" or "getting confused with", as in "someone thought you were an animal". So there we go.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

Honestly? I can understand the linguistic logic there.

Yep, it makes sense.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

algebra testes posted:

Disappointingly clean translation.

In the original they called him "good man", and the guy yelled "My good man, don't use a spirit level as a hammer!" but in Finnish it's not used in the "my good man, how do you do" sense but in the "good god, man, will you shut up?" sense.

So I took a creative liberty.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So yeah.

In Finnish knee is "polvi". The word for generation is "sukupolvi", literally family/ancestry knee. The etymology of the word is unknown, but some linguists believe that "polvi" was used to indicate bends, corners, turns etc, and the knee is the leg's turning point. A generational shift is also considered a shift or turn of some kind, so I guess it makes some amount of sense.

In any case, in common language it is common to say that someone is "toisen polven" (second generation, but literally second knee's) something, and the word for second, "toinen" is also the word for another or other. So this orthopedist is either a second generation surgeon, or the orthopedist for the other knee.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 25, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pompeii existed for centuries before it was destroyed and that guy looks pretty old, so unless this was around ~50 to 70 CE, he's probably making a good move.

(Pompeii was destroyed in 79 CE IIRC)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Extra Untranslatable Fingerpori

Jarla has moved to the next level. No longer content with compound words, he is now using words that aren't even connected to make his puns.

In Finnish, "no thank you" is "kiitos ei" ("kiitos" being "thank you" and "ei" being "no"). As you can see, they are not one word that could have a funny alternate meaning! But if you say them close together, they sound like "kiitosei", which CAN be a compound word of "kiito" (speedy, speeding, zooming etc) + "sei" (our word for pollock).

And so we end up with a piece of pollock on a skateboard.

E:

and Atlantic Pollock is a type of fish.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 26, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Samovar posted:

^^^ what the heck even IS pollock?

This lil' guy

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah so it just happened to work out identically to the point where not only is the history identical to the year, and all the historical characters identical, but they also have exactly the same popular culture staples, bands, movies, books and superheroes as we do! Except they're all animals!

Amazing world building, holbrook.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (January 30, 1977)

Wow satanism in comic strips for kids, what's the world coming to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

I know that Hagar the Horrible is "it's actually just 20th century american poo poo but in viking outfits" the comic, but it's still loving wild that they're just depicting vikings happily sitting in a loving church.

And of course despite everyone else wearing a weird mixture of clothing from seemingly 5000 bc to about 6000 CE, the usher is wearing a tuxedo top.