Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Pancho Jueves posted:

In today's evidence that newspapers are wholly out of touch, Wallace was dropped from its hometown paper in favor of Crankshaft

The most annoying part of this is how For Better Or For Worse keeps going in so many papers. Isn't it still just reruns with the occasional dialogue change to unconvincingly imply that the strip is taking place in the modern era?

Even Crankshaft, loathsome as it is, provides new material. FOOB is just a zombie strip in the truest sense of the word. Bury it good and deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

Aura really needs to have a word with her palace door guards.

I suspect there's more to this guy than just being a jerk and a wastrel. Ming was a horrible tyrant, so it might not be a bad thing if he deemed someone an unworthy successor.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Are these her children? My apologies, but it's been a while since I've seen Noor posted.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

The Gas Giants are back?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_Giants_(band)

My Lovely Horse posted:

It helps that Wallace is presenting the whole thing ambiguously enough that it can still be read as Wallace and Spud just goofing around, where Crabgrass would definitely make sure we know that the secret world of imaginary friends is absolutely a real tangible element of the setting.

I actually like the magical realist tendencies of Crabgrass. My only complaint about the strip is that it feels derivative of Calvin & Hobbes sometimes, and making kids' fantasies more concrete helps set it apart.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 29, 2024

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
Well, comics have a long history of kid characters getting absurd homework assignments, like Charlie Brown doing a book report on War and Peace or Calvin trying to assemble a bug collection.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

My Lovely Horse posted:

If only this was a well documented basic issue in journalism that somebody at this college could advise Michael on much better than a random co-student could even if that co-student wasn't phrenology guy.

And getting into the student paper is not going to make or break this kid's career, especially when he's a freshman and will presumably have other opportunities later in college.

We also know that his friend is in the wrong because he wears sunglasses and gives off a vibe other than suburban mundanity.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
These Crankshaft complaints about comics feel outdated even by the strip's usual standards. Grim and violent stories were a fad in the 1990s, and it's always been rare for superheroes to die and stay dead. When they trotted out the Death of Superman as a media event in 1992 it got some mainstream attention, but no one seriously thought Superman was gone for good.

You know, a common criticism of superhero comics these days is that it's hard for new readers to jump into them, so perhaps a Crankshaft strip will mention that at some point in 2057.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
I love Count Weirdly's assortment of little creatures, especially the one that's just staring at the gauge.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
Most of my favorites get mentioned fairly often (Arlo & Janis, the new Flash, Slylock Fox), so I'll say that I enjoy Our Boarding House. I was largely unaware of the comic and its cultural impact before it showed up here, and it's an interesting artifact of the era.

I also like the new Hagar strips, and I enjoy Tinkersons when it's about the sales directors being nuts or the son's teacher messing with him.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
Not to over-analyze Fox Trot, but couldn't she just send away for another autographed photo?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
How old is this Gracie kid in Baldo supposed to be? Wikipedia doesn't mention an age but says she's "remarkably intelligent and enjoys reading." That sounds like the sort of kid that can handle a smartphone.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Crab Dad posted:

Pulling out my magic 8 ball and I’m gonna predict the teacher wants kids of her own but her husband is hesitant so she “borrows” her best boy to show her husband how cool kids can be but he’s gonna end up throwing up on him at the game then get diarrhea in his car on the way home.

I predict that Leon has fibbed to the teacher about having neglectful or absent parents so she's trying to cheer him up.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

JethroMcB posted:

FoxTrot Classix

Jason appears to be holding a Nintendo 64 controller.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/nintendo-64/super-bowling

Keep that bowling game, kid.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
Was Farley even a prominent part of the comic? From what I remember and from what I've seen posted here, the dog only got the occasional Sunday strip to himself. I don't recall any story arcs about Farley apart from the strips where he gets with the neighbors' dog and sires his replacement.

On that note, it's funny how the family's new dog looks so much like the old one. If you skipped reading the comic for a month or so you might not even be aware that anything tragic had happened.

"He's dead, but don't worry. They have a spare."

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 22, 2024

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Hwurmp posted:

Slylock you loving dweeb

Who's his new girlfriend? Wasn't Slylock dating a red fox lady in previous strips? The utter cad!

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Countblanc posted:

Why isn't the host club guy who has a crush on her at Rie's party. What the gently caress.

That jumped out at me, too. Wasn't it implied that they started dating?

Maybe he'll pop out of a huge wrapped gift box for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.
The mother in FOOB could be referring to letters to the editor she writes and mails to newspapers each morning, detailing both her mundane household grievances and her numerous bizarre conspiracy theories.