Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Before we get too far from page 1, you may want to read these posts that readingatwork was kind enough to put together to explain what's going on in Blind Alley. It's a bit hard to understand without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Arbetor posted:

They never actually traveled by balloon in the book, so I don't know if this is written by someone that never read the book, or if its written by someone that saw a book with a balloon on the cover and then got really confused because it never happens. Judging by this being Macanudo and the typical twee bullshit happening, I'm guessing the former.

I think the David Niven/Cantinflas movie has a balloon.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Bruceski posted:

We talk about "show don't tell" and some comics really suffer from it, but I think Monty makes good use of things happening off-panel for the classic beat between setup and punchline. Mainly because the punchline is still on-screen.

Monty has by far the ugliest art in the thread. I’m not sure how it hasn’t been axed by its syndicate.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

“Elsie, am here at Elridge’s, Abe Slaney.”

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I call the witch as the killer. Remember me.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

PetraCore posted:

Making a prediction now - Azura the Witch-Queen is originally a villain in Flash Gordon, and Schkade seems to be sticking to a lot of traditional characterizations with a modern spin and original story (Dale is more emotionally intelligent than Flash but still a practical, capable woman who can generally take care of herself and balances out his impulsiveness, Ming has a useless poo poo-stirring son named Ming II, etc). I'm no expert in Flash Gordon stuff, I've mostly skimmed the vintage strip that has shown up in here. Now, the story starting after the alliance has re-taken Mongo means stuff like Aura having to be convinced to help got skipped over, so similarly it's possible Azura genuinely is just a neutral or allied party, but there's been a lot of focus on her in the art and witchcraft sure seems like the kind of thing you could do to either stab someone with an invisible lackey or charm Flash into stabbing Ming II without remembering doing it or intending to do it, especially if Flash is already a hot-head pissed off at Junior even if I doubt he's the kind of guy to just stab people for being unarmed assholes.

The main question I have is if she convinced Junior she'd ally with him just to lure him in to die and throw everything into chaos, or if she just took advantage of an unfolding situation to see what would happen. Didn't he mention something about paying a debt before he died?

The new strip made a point with shifting timelines that movie Flash is a quarterback but this Flash, like the original strip, plays polo. He said as much during the reception. It's not rewriting established points. The witch is the only party guest who isn’t an old ally. She will still be an opponent and is the most likely culprit.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (October 16-18, 1939 (and again, the 18th is just the "Marmy Sez" on the masthead.))

Wait, we don't like Britain declaring war on Germany last month?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

The_Other posted:

This was about a month after the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, so the Daily Worker was probably towing the CPUSA, and thus the Soviet, line.

God, I wish communism wasn't so loving stupid all the time.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Try to imagine what that would look like. Especially Scarlett darting her hand in to set the roulette ball down in a specific bracket.

Go watch Blackbeard's Ghost with Peter Ustinov, this exact scenario happens.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

What it’s like to live with a parrot in one panel.

Also, Mexikid is the best.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

This is fundamentally incorrect; everybody knows that after "Bok. Bok." comes "B'gok." Somebody get Dan a Barnyard See 'n Say

I was just thinking that Bok had better have a chicken’s head when they’re revealed tomorrow.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
This is what Crankshaft has always been, even when Funky Winkerbean was about halfway likable high school students. I’ve no idea who the audience is for this poo poo or ever was.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Pretend I know how to blur the sword of the guy all the way to the right and I posted a lame edit.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (March 13, 1977)

Behold, the last mention of Shermy in a Peanuts comic strip. His last in-panel appearance was June 15, 1969 (unless that's supposed to be him in the the November 9, 1975 strip, and I'm not convinced). I'd say we missed him, but...well...

He was the only kid with lines in the first strip, but there were three kids in that first strip, and he was the last one of them to be given a name. So it goes.

I remember one of my Mad Magazine collections had Shermy return to Peanuts to find they had all turned into yuppies. Can’t remember how it ended though.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Wait, what happened to the leprechaun hunt? This is St Patrick’s Day itself, where’s my leprechaun?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Sexy bastard.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Bad as the Holbrook strips are, and they are dreadful, the page-long screeds of “Can you believe what Holbrook did?!? Why, that makes absolutely no sense because blah blah blah blah!” are worse. I hate seeing 30 new posts, open the thread, and getting 29 posts of Holbrook banter.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
So that's two Marmaduke comics I don't like. Bring back Lefty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Yeah, Little Lefty was a lot more pleasant when it was about kids organizing for a school lunch program and dunking on rich bankers and stuff.

Even Marmaduke was better in Lefty’s context as a fantastic creature that could share a conversation with the kids. By himself, he’s an insufferable Mary Sue-type.