Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Are the OG Flash Gordon comics collected anywhere? I'm guessing there's nothing equivalent to the Fantagraphic Valients, but surely there's something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

How common is wearing fur, nowadays? I don't think I can remember the last time I've seen anyone wear any, but maybe I just don't recognize it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Mousetrapped

Huh. Original characters. What a concept.

I've been digging Mousetrapped so far. It hasn't exactly rocketed out of the gate like some other new comics, but it has my attention.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Samovar posted:

WOAH WOAH WOAH

NOW I have a problem with Schkade's Flash Gordon. He's a football player!

Let's not let our love of Queen blind us to the fact that this is a massive step up from playing for the Jets.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Prince Barin rules. Looking forward to whatever horrible thing soon happens to him.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

goatface posted:

In this comic, two "adults" struggle to discover the concepts of moderation and compromise.

Whoever it was that first noted that the comic never really moved out of middle school was dead on the money.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Shoko understood what would happen if a shooting star came to her planet...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 14, 1961)

Val would not say that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doomykins posted:

I sense that Q-Rai is going to break my heart.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Edit: oh boy that Phantom in panel one...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Green Intern posted:

Can’t really go knocking off nobility, even disgraced nobility. It sets a bad example for the monarchy you’re trying to establish.

That's going to far. You can totally knock off nobility, you just need to do so with more tact than this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kennel posted:

I went to check who this character was, and apparently this is her final appearance. :rip:

https://peanuts.fandom.com/wiki/Truffles

I think her previous showing was posted in a previous version of this thread. I remember enjoying it at the time, but this recent one is kind of a flop.

What a disappointing (and disappointingly final) turn for poor Truffles!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

The producers would like to thank Garfield for supplying today's "splut"

This is (sadly) a mood.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Wild guess: the Inquisitor killed Ming II to frame Flash as revenge for killing the emperor (with the bonus of removing an embarrassing scion).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Forum accident posted:

Ziggy

(8/20/1971)

Man, the divide between modern Ziggy and the OG is loving stark.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E: on the one hand I definitely admire the strip's optimistic view of technology, and miss that general tone of the era's sci-fi when people dreamt of the possibilities new technologies might open up for us, but there's definitely an air of "flying cities in the cloud? They're happening within a few years! elon musk says so!" about the whole thing.

Well, yeah, this is exactly what Elon Musk and his ilk are imitating.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Murdstone posted:

Flash Gordon

okay so that isn't necessarily false, but...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

yeah, Omori was alright

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 9/20/59

This one's not far off, although underwater launching pads are unnecessary with how good missiles launched directly from subs are.

And god help me but I misread that last line as Next Week: Mobile Suit Gundam.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

that man is dead ziggy dont just stand there gawking

don't listen to this poster ziggy poke him with a stick

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

Challenge: everybody pick a comic that you're glad is being posted even though it doesn't get mentioned much! (We ALL have some low-key favorites.)

Sally Forth and old Flash Gordon

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Weembles posted:

I bet someone could squeeze an entire master's thesis out of comparing and contrasting Jughead and Wimpy. They both fill the roll of half sidekick - half comic foil. Yet Wimpy has had affairs with everyone up to and including the Sea Hag in a really non-sexual comic, while Jughead flees from girls in the horniest comic of the 1940s.

Thimble Theatre is mostly what I expected "comic Popeye" to be but I was completely caught of guard by how much of an anime harem protagonist Wimpy is. He's had a monster girl at every other port!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Strontium posted:

Dark Side Of The Horse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmBwqRhGznI

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

I'm not sure why they need to sneak around to do this. You'd think checking the security cam footage would be the first thing Aura and Barin would have had done.

It's a weird problem for them to have, but I'm intrigued by what it implies. Ming may be dead (?) but this is still his palace.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I know this has been brought up several times, but even as a joke it's baffling how over involved the mom is in her son's life.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Wait, wait, wait. All that loving build-up and we didn't even get one single strip of Jeremy and his friends actually, y'know, at the dance?

The comic has just made you sympathize with Jeremy's mother. Think on this.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Forum accident posted:

Ziggy

(9/19/1971)

Your presentation of present and past Ziggys has born unexpected fruit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There's something almost tragic about John Allison's Conan having the same plot as (modern) Prince Valiant. As much as I tend to like his work, I doubt the comparison will be kind.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vargo posted:

Also, last night my wife came into my office almost yelling "DID YOU SEE TODAY'S BALDO?!" so here it is:

Holy poo poo what a poorly executed "kids and their phones?!"

If you showed this to me without any context I would have assumed she was a women in her thirties.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

JethroMcB posted:

Shoe shopping is definitely one of the most excruciating common childhood experiences (exempting medical stuff.) Endlessly dull, parents do not like/will not buy the shoes you like, and yes, that weird new-shoe smell pervades everything.

That one ain't just a childhood experience.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cowslips Warren posted:

reminds me of how that final CTRL ALT DEL story was, where suddenly it wasn't all wacky monkey cheese vidjagames one offs or mini stories about how awesome vidjagames were, but about loving Terminator style end of the world. And of course the ultimate manchild sacrificing himself to save everyone. And his friends made a videogame religion after his death in his honor.

Like....what? Daddy Daze, you are a slice of life humor comic. Don't Ba your way into this.

Of all the times CAD overstepped, I'm at a loss how that was the example that came to mind.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I'm doubling down on my earlier bet: the assassin is (or is working with) Inquisitor Aegia.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Comments about newspaper comics are all going to be insane because levelheaded people do not go online to comment on newspaper comics.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 10, 1962)

Ngl, the comic has sold me on Stephan's mom.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tiggum posted:

Well that is not at all a reassuring outcome. :stare:

Vargo posted:

Oh wow that Mexikid Stories ending did uhhh... did not make me feel better about whatever was going on there!

Sometimes when you're a kid things are bad and that's just how it is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 24, 1962)

Comic Strips 2024: Deliciously Wet and Unafraid

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Just came across this and thought folks here would appreciate it.

from: https://cohost.org/robinandcat/post/5356132-the-resurrection-of

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't believe that Heathcliff is real.

Separately, I'm not sure what's coming with Foob but I am eager to learn.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Forum accident posted:

Ziggy
(11/9/1971)

Now here's a comic that's become out of date.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Usage various tremendously but in general rocks are natural while stones have been artificially cut or shaped.

Please ignore how sedimentary rocks are commonly called stones.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

riderchop posted:

Rivers 'n Dorgz

Up until this story arc I had no idea the Foob Family had two dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hwurmp posted:

Why do all the conniving types in Prince Valiant have names like Sleath or Slivens or Slutt

A bit of nominative determinism so less attentive readers can keep track of who to jeer if they miss a week.

edit: see also, our main dude is named "Valiant"

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 13, 2024