Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Man city tugging their collar

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't decide whether it would be funnier for city to get the football equivalent of 80 consecutive life sentences, or nothing

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i look forward to the points deduction which means they have to play one season in the europa league and the £50,000 fine or whatever

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
ten years from now they'll deduct Chelsea's next owner 5 points for Todd Boehly spending a billion quid on players who could barely kick a football

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

vyelkin posted:

ten years from now they'll deduct Chelsea's next owner 5 points for Todd Boehly spending a billion quid on players who could barely kick a football

They'll use use the "At Least he wasn't Roman Abramovich" defense and it'll work.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

the trick to crimes is just do them in such an insane volume that it takes forever to process

If you commit 1 ffp violation that's your problem, if you commit 115? That's the leagues problem

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the sex ghost posted:

Can't decide whether it would be funnier for city to get the football equivalent of 80 consecutive life sentences, or nothing

The life sentences, OP, definitely funnier

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
City are a fake team, it doesn’t really matter either way. All points, trophies, honours etc are engraved onto the world’s biggest asterisk.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Even if it's 10 points I'll laugh, and I feel like it will have to be more than that. 20 points? All I know is I can't wait for it to happen

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

vyelkin posted:

I once spent a really boring meeting working out that Boehly is only at 0.5 KLF’s in his ongoing performance piece ‘money up in smoke: CHELSEA’, his punishment should be setting fire to another £1bn to overtake them.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Or funding the next transfer window, whichever comes first

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008
The profit & sustainability rules are being reviewed in August, so its likely they will fundamentally change from the system we've got now. Personally I think its unlikely anything substantial ever happens to City (or Chelsea) beyond a transfer ban for a couple of windows.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

As this was also relevant discussion in the NCAA football threads this year: if Manchester City got hit with the orbital ray to nuke them back down to the National League North, their fans would count the titles forever, but it would also negate the menace going forward. I’m willing to take that trade-off, personally.

Total Meatlove posted:

I once spent a really boring meeting working out that Boehly is only at 0.5 KLF’s in his ongoing performance piece ‘money up in smoke: CHELSEA’, his punishment should be setting fire to another £1bn to overtake them.

The KLF Scale is a good way to consider this as well.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

It’s just nice for the Chelsea fans to be associated with a three letter acronym beginning with K and it not being that one, as a treat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

From Josimar - 777, the group trying to buy Everton and currently in control of other teams in Europe, might be in deep trouble

quote:

Now, on the same day that Everton were charged with another breach of the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules, Josimar can reveal that both Haymarket and 777 Re are under investigation for potential breaches of strict financial rules governing their own operations. And in the case of 777 Re, the authorities in Bermuda have already acted to place the company into administrative control.

We understand 777 Re CEO and CFO Will Rineheimer has been removed, and that independent director Corwin Zass has been placed in charge. Why does this matter? Because being placed into administrative control removes 777’s direct access to assets held by Re totalling 3 billion US dollars (as of 31 December 2022). It should, however, be noted that the current valuation of Re’s assets is difficult to quantify, as ratings agency AM Best recently downgraded them based on 777’s financial ties to the Bermuda firm, which has since agreed to sell some of those investments to untangle its exposure.

Kieran Maguire, football finance expert and author of The Price of Football, said: “Any lender will first assess risk before agreeing to loan money to an individual or a corporation. If you’re charging interest at a rate of 52 percent APR, it is indicative that you have serious doubts about the borrower, as the borrower has been unable to convince anyone else to lend money at a better rate. It also means that other lenders have walked away, and that the borrower had few if any other people to turn to.”

From prior reporting it sounded like a juggling shell game, and it seems like they might get found out here sooner than later. Yikes.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 16, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Imagine being so dodgy that the authorities in a tax haven go "come on lads"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Always pay your tax haven taxes so you don't have to pay your real taxes.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

Always pay your tax haven taxes so you don't have to pay your real taxes.

advice for every generation.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

harperdc posted:

As this was also relevant discussion in the NCAA football threads this year: if Manchester City got hit with the orbital ray to nuke them back down to the National League North, their fans would count the titles forever, but it would also negate the menace going forward. I’m willing to take that trade-off, personally.

Even without the nuking, no one gives a poo poo or talks about City's treble at all. Absolutely hollow nothing club.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/AdamCrafton_/status/1747282929267466694

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
A fit and proper person if I ever saw one.

:bighow:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Slotducks posted:

Even without the nuking, no one gives a poo poo or talks about City's treble at all. Absolutely hollow nothing club.

What does this even mean? Were Bayern Munich or Barcelona's trebles the toast of the town? Did people Europe wide extol the virtues and worthiness of those feted clubs? Who 'gives a poo poo' about any team that isn't your own winning stuff?

I get not liking our ownership but I also don't get the need to trip over each other saying how little you give a poo poo about us. It comes across as a little performative and lady-doth-protest-too-much. If I don't give a poo poo about something I don't feel the need to tell everyone just how little of a poo poo a give about it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

What does this even mean? Were Bayern Munich or Barcelona's trebles the toast of the town? Did people Europe wide extol the virtues and worthiness of those feted clubs? Who 'gives a poo poo' about any team that isn't your own winning stuff?

I get not liking our ownership but I also don't get the need to trip over each other saying how little you give a poo poo about us. It comes across as a little performative and lady-doth-protest-too-much. If I don't give a poo poo about something I don't feel the need to tell everyone just how little of a poo poo a give about it.

Lol

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
:redflag:

Butterfly Valley posted:

lmao

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Butterfly Valley posted:

rofl

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think it means that if you said to someone “The Treble”, they’d automatically think about Manchester United doing it.

City’s treble came up in a chat with my 11 year old the other day and I was like “oh yeah. Huh.”

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Butterfly Valley posted:

lol

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Butterfly Valley posted:

lol

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Hey. Is this where we go if we love to lol?

I see a lot of City fans where I live, but they're mainly younger kids. Maybe they don't have an established fanbase like United's yet, but I think City is on its way.

I'm sure those kids care a lot about their treble.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

yes, the Barcelona team of 2009 that famously no-one remembers or talks about or wrote table-breaking Guardian articles on

but also

harperdc posted:

this is true, but won't stop me making a "they're not really here" banner with me and Ole Solskjaer making the soyface and pointing at City's correctly bare trophy cabinet

and then hanging nineteen copies of it on the front of my house like a man who's racist against light blue bucket seats

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

New Villa badge is looking nice

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
def better than the palette swap chelsea

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

would someone with a smile that good be capable of those accusations?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Well that's the second day running I've got lots of empty quotes for my posts so I'm glad to at least be providing value to the forum

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Butterfly Valley posted:

Well that's the second day running I've got lots of empty quotes for my posts so I'm glad to at least be providing value to the forum

(feeling dozens of people slapping my rear end) applause? for what?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Slotducks posted:

Yeah the other context is “if this is a cool team/player people will remember,” specifically like Reggie Bush having his Heisman taken away. I don’t know if there’d be that much crying about Manchester City having titles taken away because they were a pretty joyless machine doing so.

Bumhead posted:

I think it means that if you said to someone “The Treble”, they’d automatically think about Manchester United doing it.

Yeah, certainly for the Premier League/English football.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Strangely, when it comes to thinking of Trebles in English Football, I think of Liverpool 's cup Treble first.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

ozmunkeh posted:

City are a fake team, it doesn’t really matter either way. All points, trophies, honours etc are engraved onto the world’s biggest asterisk.

Cope and seethe

They just do it bigger and better than everyone else (Russian oligarchs, American private equity ghouls, stock exchange scams (arguably the worst!), things of that nature).

The only “legit” champ of the PL era is Leicester and that only happened because of severe sex crimes and absolutely mingin’ snatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

The only “legit” champ of the PL era is Leicester and that only happened because of severe sex crimes and absolutely mingin’ snatch.

A glorious season that started and finished with kissing the rings