Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so this thing just serves up ascii goatse and calls it a map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
goatscii

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

did you need the internet for anything else?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

infernal machines posted:

oh my god, what's that man doing to his atlas?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

hello.txt

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sending a T9 text with this and wearing my fingat down to a nub

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

dwarf fortress adventure mode, realistic setting

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mods

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:rip: z80
https://twitter.com/nanochess/status/1781290078230253998

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

oh wow, dang

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

time to stockpile and sell them on zbay in 2050

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

zilog (or whoever owns them this week) has been limping along as a shell of a company for decades now.

the Z80 is basically all they ever had, although the Z180 and eZ80 were popular in certain niches. but all their mainstream attempts at Z80 successors were complete failures - Z800, Z8000, Z80000, Z280...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

this also must mean that there are fewer and fewer things actually embedding z80’s these days that it’s not worth it

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://i.imgur.com/ImuQB3G.mp4

Just needs a one-touch snap open button.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

zilog (or whoever owns them this week) has been limping along as a shell of a company for decades now.

the Z80 is basically all they ever had, although the Z180 and eZ80 were popular in certain niches. but all their mainstream attempts at Z80 successors were complete failures - Z800, Z8000, Z80000, Z280...

tried to go clean-slate with the 8000. had they actually launched the z800 or gotten the z280 out at a time where it mattered (afaik these amount to the same thing) things could have been real different.

the timeline went:

z80 (1976) -> [some incompatible poo poo] (1978) -> [paper launch compatible poo poo] (1985) -> [more incompatible poo poo] (1985) -> [actual compatible z280] (1986)

meanwhile intel went:

[series of much less successful chips, but *all* with migration and compatibility affordances] (1971-1977) -> 8086 (modestly successful, 1978) -> [46 years and counting of basically yearly product updates, some good some bad, all with impeccable compatibility]

one can still feel bad for zilog, since this was not so obvious at the time (and tons of techy people continue to *vastly* underestimate the value of compatibility), but it was a pretty clean competitive failure.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ImuQB3G.mp4

Just needs a one-touch snap open button.

i mean that's cool and all but why does the visor automatically snap up and open when you click the lower face thing into place?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tried to go clean-slate with the 8000. had they actually launched the z800 or gotten the z280 out at a time where it mattered (afaik these amount to the same thing) things could have been real different.

the timeline went:

z80 (1976) -> [some incompatible poo poo] (1978) -> [paper launch compatible poo poo] (1985) -> [more incompatible poo poo] (1985) -> [actual compatible z280] (1986)

meanwhile intel went:

[series of much less successful chips, but *all* with migration and compatibility affordances] (1971-1977) -> 8086 (modestly successful, 1978) -> [46 years and counting of basically yearly product updates, some good some bad, all with impeccable compatibility]

one can still feel bad for zilog, since this was not so obvious at the time (and tons of techy people continue to *vastly* underestimate the value of compatibility), but it was a pretty clean competitive failure.

the Z8000 was somewhat popular for like 18 months when people were trying to build it into workstations. it's not really any worse than the 8086 (and has all the same kinds of dumbness like segmented memory, but that stuff was just the style at the time). The Z800/280 being backwards compatible with the Z80 was nice, but it launched years too late and has so many hardware bugs that the built-in peripherals are half useless (it can't reliably do DMA to I/O ports for example).

The Z8 microcontroller range was HUGE in industrial gear, but was never really upgraded and then PIC and Atmel ate their lunch.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/seevua/status/1780732981356663172

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
it would have been perfect if he hit his head on the top of the doorframe in the second last shot

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Crazy Achmed posted:

i mean that's cool and all but why does the visor automatically snap up and open when you click the lower face thing into place?
since it's a real motorcycle helmet and not the usual cyberpunk art piece, the visor and the chin bar have to have locking mechanisms, and I'm assuming that as they rotate on a common axis, there's a point where there's some interference, so one has to pop out of the lock to allow the other bit to pass by

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

probably so it stops you misting it up with your breath as you get hyped to take your cyberbike out and do some sick hacking or take down some chooms

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they should make it auto snap shut so you look like a cool badass as you get ready to waste some fools with your nanoblade

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Z80 chat:
I was told that their main problem was that their owner Exxon wanted to get on this computer thing themselves and not ‘help’ other companies, thus the really odd series of decisions. They of course had no idea what to actually make, which made things worse.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

since it's a real motorcycle helmet and not the usual cyberpunk art piece, the visor and the chin bar have to have locking mechanisms, and I'm assuming that as they rotate on a common axis, there's a point where there's some interference, so one has to pop out of the lock to allow the other bit to pass by

yeah that makes a lot of sense. I'm pretty happy that this though is actually functional, it's always disappointing to see the pieces that are purely decorative.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sorry to say, 3/4 and modular helmets will still delete your jaw in a crash. Full face one piece or don't get on the bike. That's a neat design tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

modular ones are fine as long as you ride with the chin bar down and locked. internet motorcycle weenies argue about it but the difference in safety between a modular and a full-face is too small to be seen in the noise.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Would argue for several pages with you over this, but the fact is that modulars with the chinstrap are what people that would normally run open-face graduate to, and they legitimately are better than those corpse lids, so

I still don't like them and think they're more aesthetically oogly than a normal full helmet.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Still mad i never picked up the Shoei Harmonic RF-1200 before they stopped production.

Impossible to find now, and the ones you will locate are old and out of spec. Ugh.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

Still mad i never picked up the Shoei Harmonic RF-1200 before they stopped production.

Impossible to find now, and the ones you will locate are old and out of spec. Ugh.

waiting for the auto-helmet to get produced with an EVA paintjob

https://i.imgur.com/56FvJyu.mp4

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GXace is this thread personified. Yes, its about camera lenses, but, the aesthetics of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQmOSfaL1Zs

I mean, come on

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 23, 2024

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

mmm tite

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ahhh i want one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ok so explain it like i dont know anything about cameras, cause i don't. why, in 2024? like, can't we just make a camera with a wide aspect ratio sensor? why all the optical hijinks?

that being said that video is cool and all the footage looks dope.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

ok so explain it like i dont know anything about cameras, cause i don't. why, in 2024? like, can't we just make a camera with a wide aspect ratio sensor? why all the optical hijinks?

that being said that video is cool and all the footage looks dope.
my quick take: anamorphic lenses differ from fisheye lenses in that they don’t ultimately deliver a distorted image. they allow you to shoot in a 50% wider (i.e. cinematic) aspect ratio than 3:4 while keeping straight lines and without cropping the image/footage from 3:4. basically on an optics level they can genuinely capture more horizontally than (film) lenses typically do (hence 1.5x lenses)

there are a few other filming side effects of this, namely stretched horizontal lens flares, bokeh (blur) effects, depth of field closer to subject, etc

this product is cheaper and lighter than lenses before 2024 could be. aperture available at f2.4 across a variety of focal lengths means you have more flexibility in how you frame and selectively blur background in subjects. it’s also good that it’s available on multiple mounts meaning more types of cameras/adapters will work with it

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 23, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I would simply zoom out and then crop the picture down to wide-screen in post

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

surely you just film in standard aspect ratio and zoom, then use infallible ai to extrapolate the additional pixels to convert it to widescreen

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

can't we just make a camera with a wide aspect ratio sensor? why all the optical hijinks?

I read somewhere, like over a decade ago so I dunno how true it is anymore, that making camera sensors is still quite difficult and expensive to pull off and there is a lot of waste in the process. Even though full frame sensors are getting cheaper, the reason why they are so expensive is not entirely just a marketing thing. And why medium format cameras still cost $5-10K. So it's likely possible some company could spin up production on wide aspect ratio sensors, it would cost a hell of a lot of money to do and they would be limiting their cameras to the video-only market on top of it.

The other thing and maybe this is the most important is that people just like aesthetic of anamorphic lenses.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

polyester concept posted:

The other thing and maybe this is the most important is that people just like aesthetic of anamorphic lenses.
this is the way of the cyberpunk thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that all makes sense, thank you cyber-friends