Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

akadajet posted:

best I can find

theres a 4x upscale with some minor cleanup on the jpg artifacts here:

https://files.catbox.moe/fitqdt.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

huh i could have sworn the Star Fleet Technical Manual did not call it D

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
hahahaha extended d hahaha

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i have still never seen hackers

i know it has a cult following, but everything about it makes it look absolutely insufferable

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rotor posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rotor posted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sweevo posted:

i know it has a cult following, but everything about it makes it look absolutely insufferable

I mean… that’s not entirely wrong? It’s a 90s teen hijinks movie but with computers

It gets respected for hewing fairly close to the hacker ethos, or at least what it was at the time, and not misusing tech concepts too badly. Good soundtrack too. May as well watch it to get a few extra references that get dropped around here

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

rotor posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sweevo posted:

i kind of loathed it when it came out but it's grown on me.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

haveblue posted:

Good soundtrack too.

it made the smart decision to use orbital's "halcyon + on + on" even if it wasn't the first movie to do so

it wasn't even the first movie to do so in late summer 1995

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
its a fun movie kinda cheesy but enjoyable. That could just be nostalgia though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

I watched it for the first time last year. it was pretty fun!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

Why would you publicly admit this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
in the cyberpunk thread, of all places

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it looks like 90s hackerdom as imagined by a bunch of 50 year olds who genuinely believe hackers can turn your computer into a bomb

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
eh, kinda but better executed than that would suggest.

it's fun and a bit goofy, it has a solid cast. idk if you'd like it but as someone who saw it in my early teens, i loved it and i rewatch it occasionally.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hackers actually predates the "turn your computer into a bomb" meme, the original weekly world news article was published in 1999

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

Why would you publicly admit this?

coulda sworn it was required viewing to post in yospos

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEyEkbOlMfA

indisputably timeless

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Thanks!

Hackers rules, both ironically and unironically

Can someone post the moose milky gif of the plague skateboarding behind a limo to snatch that floppy disk?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

eh, kinda but better executed than that would suggest.

it's fun and a bit goofy, it has a solid cast. idk if you'd like it but as someone who saw it in my early teens, i loved it and i rewatch it occasionally.

yeah, it grew on me and became an occasional rewatch. pair it with sneakers for a good computer movie double feature evening and I'm all set :munch:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ADINSX posted:

Can someone post the moose milky gif of the plague skateboarding

its mr the plague

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Captain Foo posted:

the Star Fleet Technical Manual
right up there with the c programing language as far as foundational texts of yospos go

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think I've only seen Hackers once years ago, I should rewatch it

short hair Angelina Jolie :swoon:

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol they've all got brakes on, noobs

the guy on the right even has the weirdo auto brake thing that was tied to pushing your foot forward or something.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Agile Vector posted:

yeah, it grew on me and became an occasional rewatch. pair it with sneakers for a good computer movie double feature evening and I'm all set :munch:

ya sneakers is good too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

right up there with the c programing language as far as foundational texts of yospos go
haven't read either lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol they've all got brakes on, noobs

the guy on the right even has the weirdo auto brake thing that was tied to pushing your foot forward or something.

this is skakekeeping

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

haveblue posted:

hackers actually predates the "turn your computer into a bomb" meme, the original weekly world news article was published in 1999

i feel like i read about filling a floppy disk with ground up matches to make computers blow up in the anarchist's cookbook earlier than that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

haveblue posted:

arnold yabenson

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Carthag Tuek posted:

i feel like i read about filling a floppy disk with ground up matches to make computers blow up in the anarchist's cookbook earlier than that

not the same thing, the WWN report was clear that their bomb exploit can be performed without physical access

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sweevo posted:

it looks like 90s hackerdom as imagined by a bunch of 50 year olds who genuinely believe hackers can turn your computer into a bomb

kevin mitnick was prohibited from using a phone in prison because some judge was convinced that he could launch nuclear missiles by whistling

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

old people think 90s hackers were #6

90s hackers think they were #3/#4

90s hackers were actually #5

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 4, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im 1

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rotor posted:

this is skakekeeping

a key feature of any and all activities is the ability to needlessly deride people for minor things because they don't meet up to some arbitrary standard

see also: posting

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all other aside i do imagine you wearing a hat with a large antenna on top though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

all other aside i do imagine you wearing a hat with a large antenna on top though

common hamfest gimmick yeah

I dont really do radio any more though, sadly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey steve how've you been? almost finished those renos on the lab?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sweevo posted:

old people think 90s hackers were #6

90s hackers think they were #3/#4

90s hackers were actually #5

What do you think all the those gadgets actually did in 1990? Like was some guy walking around with a vr headset that’s displaying a windows 95 machine playing minesweeper?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ADINSX posted:

What do you think all the those gadgets actually did in 1990? Like was some guy walking around with a vr headset that’s displaying a windows 95 machine playing minesweeper?

spreadsheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ADINSX posted:

really rudimentary text only displays with incredibly useful things like your GPS coordinates (not a map, just numerical coords)