Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
After years of limbo, we have finally have one women’s hockey league.

Introducing the PWHL: Professional Women’s Hockey League

Brief background:
The NWHL was the first “professional” hockey league , starting in 2016. But it had mismanagement issues, drama, and the past few years consisted of “two” leagues; the PHF (re branded NWHL) and the PWHPA , which essentially consisted of players who called for one league that was not the PHF (again due to multiple issues).

Summer of 2023: the PWHPA bought out the PHF, and essentially the result is the PWHL.

The league consists of 6 teams:

The reason this is a big deal is there is finally one league with the majority of the world’s best players to play in. Marie Philip Poulin, Hillary Knight, Sarah Nurse, Taylor Heise, etc etc, are all playing.

Good primer link:

https://www.cbc.ca/kidsnews/post/new-year-new-womens-hockey-league-5-things-to-know-about-the-pwhl

-6 teams
-all teams play 24 games

Where to watch:

https://thehockeynews.com/womens/pwhl/where-you-can-watch-all-72-broadcasting-pwhl-games-this-season

Essentially, you should be able to watch all games on YouTube:
https://youtube.com/@thepwhlofficial?feature=shared

More to add, but this is a long time coming and should be a very exciting first season.

Season points:

The PWHL adopted a 3-2-1 point system — three points for a regulation win, two points for an overtime win, one point for an overtime loss and zero for a regulation loss.

Playoffs:
Playoffs will feature the top 4 of 6 teams at the end of the season in best of five rounds.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Campbell getting lit up

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Toronto’s fate was sealed once they received this kiss of death

https://x.com/mapleleafs/status/1741858693413556471?s=46&t=l7JovTDvoQbYADj0z1zxcA

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just noticed there's no trapezoid on the ice. Can the goalies play the puck anywhere in the PWHL?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It would be really bad for the league, but Toronto not scoring a goal all season would be funny as hell.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Women's hockey owns.

US/Canada Women's is the best rivalry in hockey. I will entertain no disagreement.

Throwback to the time I made a new friend at the 2023 U18 World Championship.

His daughter scored in the final and the US lost :argh:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

deoju posted:

Women's hockey owns.

US/Canada Women's is the best rivalry in hockey. I will entertain no disagreement.

Throwback to the time I made a new friend at the 2023 U18 World Championship.

His daughter scored in the final and the US lost :argh:

How many times has a Canadian player married a US player? I think we're up to 6 happy couples, but I am probably very wrong

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

That’s part of why it’s the best rivalry!

Okay the rule that if you score short handed you end the PK is the best idea ever.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

bunnyofdoom posted:

How many times has a Canadian player married a US player? I think we're up to 6 happy couples, but I am probably very wrong

Star-crossed lovers. :allears:

There's [url-https://www.them.us/story/usa-canada-womens-hockey-weddings] three lesbian couples[/url] that I know of. Are there any hetero couples? If there were a male-male couple I feel like I'd know of them.

There's always tons of loving in the Olympic Village. Who can blame them? It's gotta be the highest density of smoking hot people in the world for a couple of weeks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

kaom posted:

That’s part of why it’s the best rivalry!

Okay the rule that if you score short handed you end the PK is the best idea ever.

It really is a cool idea. I hope it leads to odd numbered situations being a high scoring affair in both directions. They were absolutely pushing for that short handed goal today.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

deoju posted:

Star-crossed lovers. :allears:

There's [url-https://www.them.us/story/usa-canada-womens-hockey-weddings] three lesbian couples[/url] that I know of. Are there any hetero couples? If there were a male-male couple I feel like I'd know of them.

There's at least Ray Ferraro-Cammi Granato. Though Ferraro never really played any best-on-best tourneys and his career was during the Soviets as the big bad era before the rise of the US.

Pretty cool game yesterday with Toronto playing like their counterparts. A great second period spoiled by a couple back breaking goals to start the third.

Edit: it would have been nice to have team identities set up as I would have loved to have gotten some Christmas merch for some nieces and cousins, but I can understand prioritizing getting the players on the ice if the choice was between playing ASAP and waiting for all the logistics/legal/marketing stuff to get set up.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 2, 2024

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Going to see New York play next week, hyped for lady hockey! Would have gone to opening night on the 5th but Bridgeport is a pain to get to with the ferry and everything

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’m a little sad there’s not a west coast team, but also know that this would make travel a lot more expensive. I would have driven up to Vancouver for some PWHL with the family, but I’m hoping that Minnesota can do a good job filling up the Xcel for their games.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

I’m a little sad there’s not a west coast team, but also know that this would make travel a lot more expensive. I would have driven up to Vancouver for some PWHL with the family, but I’m hoping that Minnesota can do a good job filling up the Xcel for their games.

I think economically they'd need to do a full West division with no/limited interdivisional play except the finals to get it to work at least for the first few years. The old CWHL/NWHL era had like 10 teams between the leagues so the player base is there.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

I think economically they'd need to do a full West division with no/limited interdivisional play except the finals to get it to work at least for the first few years. The old CWHL/NWHL era had like 10 teams between the leagues so the player base is there.

Yeah, that would be a good idea. You could do three in Portland - Seattle - Vancouver and toss in San Jose, Anaheim, Vegas, Edmonton, and Calgary into that mix. As soon as you start adding in other places that would also probably do well with a team (I'd think there are plenty Denver especially), you're looking at NHL travel schedules and I'm pretty sure they're trying to avoid that for a while.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

Yeah, that would be a good idea. You could do three in Portland - Seattle - Vancouver and toss in San Jose, Anaheim, Vegas, Edmonton, and Calgary into that mix. As soon as you start adding in other places that would also probably do well with a team (I'd think there are plenty Denver especially), you're looking at NHL travel schedules and I'm pretty sure they're trying to avoid that for a while.

Politics would likely dictate at least starting with a 3/3 Canada/US split before expansion tilting towards the US. I like the idea of Portland to build some non-NHL markets. Seattle/Portland/NorCal to keep a tighter geographical footprint would be good though they'd probably want to tap into the LA/SoCal market.

Don't know enough about US hockey to know where else to go. What are the other big hotspots that need teams ASAP? Buffalo and St. Louis get mentioned all the time for international stuff. Is Philly a big hockey town or just a Flyers town?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

Politics would likely dictate at least starting with a 3/3 Canada/US split before expansion tilting towards the US. I like the idea of Portland to build some non-NHL markets. Seattle/Portland/NorCal to keep a tighter geographical footprint would be good though they'd probably want to tap into the LA/SoCal market.

Don't know enough about US hockey to know where else to go. What are the other big hotspots that need teams ASAP? Buffalo and St. Louis get mentioned all the time for international stuff. Is Philly a big hockey town or just a Flyers town?

I think the problem is Edmonton/Calgary makes the travel a lot longer. Portland has the WHL team that draws a good crowd, and they have a history of supporting women's sports well in the city so it would be a good fit. Seattle is a more natural fit right now with the Kraken fever driving still increasing hockey in the city. We're to the point where having another 3-4 rinks in the next 5-10 years is going to be useful.

Western cities are a problem though because you're looking at... California and Vegas. Anaheim and San Jose are good fits with the NHL standard of training facilities at least. I don't think there's a market in New Mexico and clearly not in Arizona. Austin, Dallas, Houston could do it, but we're into the long travel cost issue again. Red Deer or Regina run into the same travel and smaller market issues before you get to Winnipeg.

Should really get the big markets tied in in the first waves regardless. I could see this being a 16 team league in 10-15 years though without too much issue.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Would love to see some expansion to DC, especially if Ted follows through on the move to the Moon Alexandria but leaves the Mystics in the city, and a women’s hockey team too. Quite possible those would end up with better attendance…

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

I think the problem is Edmonton/Calgary makes the travel a lot longer. Portland has the WHL team that draws a good crowd, and they have a history of supporting women's sports well in the city so it would be a good fit. Seattle is a more natural fit right now with the Kraken fever driving still increasing hockey in the city. We're to the point where having another 3-4 rinks in the next 5-10 years is going to be useful.

Western cities are a problem though because you're looking at... California and Vegas.

Yeah, the west is tough since there's the big north/south trip as well as east/west unlike the northeast where you could easily stick another full division without expanding the footprint too much.

The west would probably need a northwest division that's like Alberta/Cascadia and a Southwest that's like Cali/Vegas/Texas but even that's a huge area. And a Central thats like Winnipeg, Minny, Chicago, St. Louis should cover the big hockey markets in a 16ish team league. Southeast gets screwed though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Montreal seems to be a pretty good team so far

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Montreal seems to be a pretty good team so far

They have literally the best women’s player of all time (Marie Philip Poulin). And the best current goalie.

Also, heck yeah.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Put a pwhl team in Philly you cowards

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
I just bought tickets for the next home game I am free for. Hell yes

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Good soup! posted:

Put a pwhl team in Philly you cowards

I would bet Philly gets a team well within 5 years.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
https://x.com/drouinsbf/status/1742375334907957680?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mods change this thread title to “she’s gay, marcus” pls

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Heise on the board 4 minutes in with an absolute snipe good lord.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Really enjoying the PWHL games so far and I hope the league lasts more than the one season new leagues usually do.

The quality of the camerawork and audio are better (so far) than most NHL broadcasts, I can't help but notice.

e: bummed to learn the PWHL has The Worst Penalty though

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 4, 2024

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
USAH has the “worst” penalty too. It just doesn’t get called tightly because it’s not assumed to be on purpose.

Some great snipes by some Minnesotans in this game. The women don’t do mediocre.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Agree with other posters. I’ve watched parts of all 3 games, and have been enjoying it so far. My knowledge of women’s hockey is limited, so it’s been fun to learn about new players.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Agree with other posters. I’ve watched parts of all 3 games, and have been enjoying it so far. My knowledge of women’s hockey is limited, so it’s been fun to learn about new players.

Yeah, watching them play and learning about the players other than the national team stars is cool. Can't wait til we get to the point where we're arguing about Olympic snubs and how some Ottawa player got screwed out of a spot due to Toronto/Montreal bias.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Having now seen it in action, I gotta say I really dig the rule of your penalty expiring early if you score a shorthanded goal.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

Really enjoying the PWHL games so far and I hope the league lasts more than the one season new leagues usually do.

The quality of the camerawork and audio are better (so far) than most NHL broadcasts, I can't help but notice.

e: bummed to learn the PWHL has The Worst Penalty though

Jhet posted:

USAH has the “worst” penalty too. It just doesn’t get called tightly because it’s not assumed to be on purpose.

Some great snipes by some Minnesotans in this game. The women don’t do mediocre.

What's the worst penalty?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

What's the worst penalty?

probably shooting the puck out of the rink from the defensive zone.

edit: It's the worst because the best and safest way to clear the puck is to bounce it off the glass and out. but if you misjudge then you suddenly are down by another man.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, the Delay of Game. The higher the skill level the less lenience you get from the refs with it. Once you hit Juniors level there’s basically no allowance for it not being called. Even 18U at AA and above it’s probably getting called.

Hell, even high division beer league it’ll get called.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
These games have been good as hell and I'm psyched that the attendance numbers have looked great AND the games are free on YouTube

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I actually really like the delay of game rule. It was forever bullshit that a team that got completely hemmed in and gassed could just fire the puck into the crowd for a stoppage.

But enough derail, I'm looking forward to checking out a few of these games. The Boston team actually plays their home games right down the way from me, in a rink I used to play in!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

I actually really like the delay of game rule. It was forever bullshit that a team that got completely hemmed in and gassed could just fire the puck into the crowd for a stoppage.

But enough derail, I'm looking forward to checking out a few of these games. The Boston team actually plays their home games right down the way from me, in a rink I used to play in!

I agree, but just calling it icing with no line change allowed is a sufficient deterrent.

I would greatly approve of calling Delay of Game any time a team ices the puck (including POG) twice within 60 seconds though.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I think it's ok at the NHL level and probably PWHL, AHL, Juniors and NCAA Div 1 where people are good enough to keep it in play if they wanted to 99% of the time. The only reason people mention it at all is because it happens so rarely that it's noticeable when someone does gently caress up.

I don't know if just an icing equivalent is enough of a deterrent. If the option is just blast it for a guaranteed icing vs. bank it a little higher than they do now for a better chance of getting the clear where the downside is just getting the icing call anyways, I can see players doing that a lot more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
A good deterrent for this argument is to make people go and watch a game in the dead puck era. There's so little tempo or fluidity in those games. Making it an option at any point will lead to more stoppages again, even as an icing. Making it a penalty if it happens twice in 60 seconds is outside the ability of the on ice officials to be managing. Off ice officials can't influence penalty decisions either, so that's not a precedent I can see being set for something that is working the way it was intended to work.